• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pesco77

First Lieutenant
65 Badges
Aug 11, 2012
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Island Bound
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
jgiggs6ucsmfn446g.jpg

Photograph (c) Alessandra Meniconzi

Lady of the Yaran - A Samoyed/Finno-Ugric Matriarchal AAR

lisd4a2n1a29akl6g.jpg

Table of Contents by ruler:

Chapter One - Khatyako - Ruled 867-901

Next Ruler - Not yet played.

Preface:
Welcome to my first ever AAR! Yaran of the North is an AAR loosely (read: historical fiction) based on the Samoyed/Nenets people, which I have decided will go by the term "Yaran" in these stories. So from here on out, whenever you see the word "Yaran," know that I am referring, in a historical-fiction sense, to what is called the Samoyed culture in CK2, which goes by the term Nenets in the modern day.

I wanted to focus on one of the Finno-Ugric peoples now that 1.101 has come out, so here it is. And oh yes, this is my first ever attempt at an AAR.

About/Rules/Mods:
Yaran of the North is a storyline-focused CK2 Narrative AAR. I will roleplay characters and their decisions whenever possible, and I will take breaks from the action to tell stories based on in game traits and events.

I will play the Yaran as a matrilineal and enatic culture, which is more feasible now that 1.102 has been released. There are some references that indicate the Nenets might have been matrilineal to some degree at the clan level, but it's not clear that they really were, or to what extent they were. (See NOTE 1) For novelty sake I am letting the idea play out completely. To pull this off, I am employing a couple laborious processes. First, I have modded things to make Yaran areas Enatic. Second, I will matri marry whenever possible, but I am not sure I will be able to overcome the AI reluctance to do so. Unless a Yaran woman is marrying a foreign man, I will manually edit the marriage to matrilineal. Also, to promote intended successions and marriages, all sons of Yaran women will be manually edited to be bastards when needed. I will manually scrub the save file every five years to ensure all is in order. EDIT: ONe thing I've been finding as I've played is that it's hard to find men that would be willing to matri marry. When I resort to having to marry male courtiers, I will give the ruler a prestige boost using the console to make up for this difference if the marriage would result in a negative prestige score.

It appears that in the Nenets culture only men may be Shamans, and this calling tended to pass from father to son, or father to grandson. To reflect this, I am making Temple holdings in the Yaran culture agnatic gavelkind versus open-elective. Similarly, it appears Nenets women were prohibited from having any role in warfare, so only men may be Marshal or lead armies. I have not changed the default for city holdings.

The game will be on Normal setting, and I will disclose any reloading or save file editing other than female succession editing as mentioned above.

I have given very positive stats & traits to the initial leader and her husband, but I will not modify any future people for stats or traits.

Mods running:
Cultures and Portraits Revamp (CPR)
PRP: Mongols
My own Pagan Duchy Subjugation mod.
My own Yaran Campaign mod, which is based on but expanded from my Finno-Ugric Mod. My modding has done the following things:
  • Replace Samoyed with Yaran culture.
  • Given cultural names for the Samoyed/Yaran group.
  • For Yaran feudal rulers and titles: Set succession to enatic gavelkind at start.
  • For Yaran temple rulers and titles: Set succession to agnatic gavelkind.

Principles of gameplay I will employ:
I will play in a gamestyle appropriate to the skills and traits of each ruling character. Ambitious character will be intentionally expansionist, content characters will be defensive, and characters without either trait will be offensive only in opportunistic situations.

Yaran rulers will have the general goals of the following, in order of priority:

1. To unite the Yaran people under one ruler.
  2. For an ambitious ruler: Form a Kingdom title.
  3. To maintain or complete de jure duchies.
  4. To expand opportunistically, especially in Uralic (Suomenusko) faith areas.
  5. For an ambitious ruler: Form an Empire title.
  6. To survive until the end of the game. The Golden Horde might be a real issue.

Let's have some fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note 1: By Edward J. Vajda. "From an anthropological point of view the Nenets are interesting because they are one of the few Siberian peoples whose social structure revolves around women leaders. The Nenets are divided into dozens of matriarchal clans. Mothers enjoyed great authority in the family. Crimes and disputes within a clan were rare, but interclan fighting was not uncommon. Also, the Nenets might choose a male war chief to lead several clans when raiding neighboring non-Nenets tribes. The study of kinship terms suggests that originally the Samoyedic peoples practiced a type of group marriage. The children, however, reckoned descent and their place of residence from the mother rather than the father (in other words, they were matrilineal)."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter One - Prologue

Sarak moved briskly, his khan, or sleigh, gliding across the arctic snow pulled by eight reindeer. It was a comfort to be in familiar lands, the lands of tribes that spoke and prayed the way his people, the Pebai, did. He looked to the front of the khan and noted with admiration how adeptly his 14 year old son, Samatu, had handled himself these past few months.

It had been important to take this trip, to know what was going on in distant lands. He wished it was all the new information was pleasant, however. There was so much to let others know about.

And Khatyako… He thought about how sorely he had missed talking with her, laughing with her, laying with her at night, spending all hours together in the never-setting summer sun. He’d be home soon.

Samatu guided the reindeer along the terrain. Even in the dim sunless glow of a winter day, Sarak began to see landscapes that became quite familiar with Sarak started appearing, and he was able to fine-tune their way home.

Several hours later, he could see the rising smoke from fires in the distance. Starting off as dots in the distant horizon, the unmistakable shape came into view of the Pebai’s mya, or conical-shaped tents that were made from the hides of reindeer laid over about 30 to 50 poles that were arranged together.

He waved to some of the herders and hunters that he passed, men he had known for years, and they cheered upon seeing the Sarak and his son return. The last minutes of the return went by so agonizingly slowly, but eventually they were by the main reindeer herd.

Mandak, a skilled trader that the clan counted on when haggling with other tribes, took the reigns from Samatu and greeted him warmly. “Welcome back, you two. We’ve been praying for your safe return. I’ll take the reigns and take care of the reindeer, and I will let the others know you have returned.”

Sarak smiled. “It is great to be home, Tolik. Thank you, and we’ll see you in a few minutes.” Sarak knew that in the discussions ahead, Tolik’s views would be valued. Even for a secluded people such as themselves, trade was important.

Sarak put his arm around Samatu’s shoulders and the two walked towards the largest mya together. As they approached, Sarak saw a figure standing by the tent opening. He could feel his pulse quicken.

The female figure stood erect, her chin high. Her clothes were made in the traditional way, made of pelts and, as is the case with women’s clothes, opened down the front versus on the side for men’s clothing. Her clothes were well made, from the best pelts, and were trimmed with dog fur along the hem. The flaps were closed by means of suede laces, seven on each side. Her clothing was adorned with ornamental inserts, incorporating traditional Pebai patterns, made of white and dark fur.

A whisp of light brown dark hair escaped her hood and blew in the wind. As he approached, he admired the curves of her body that had always been so alluring to him. She was always seen as an attractive woman by others, although maybe not the most so in a purely physical sense; her poise, strength, and self-confidence added to the overall attraction, though. As far as his own opinion, there was no other woman who could even compare. Even in her middle age at 30 years, she has retained so much of her youthful beauty. And then the look on her face. She looked upon him with what he knew was her look of love and yearning, but she kept the façade that her status requires, especially in the presence of the other people around.

Because, of course, this was Khatyako, leader of the Sarakid clan, Chieftess of the Pebai. She is also regarded as High Chieftess, lord over the smaller and weaker Pyak and Yezyngi tribe chiefs. Her mother and grandmother have led the Pebai, taking the advice of the other elder women. With the blessings of the Spirits, so will her daughter, granddaughter, and beyond. Women lead our tribes and families; this is the way of the Pebai and the other true people. Our Shamans tell of the way things used to be within the Pebai, and the way it still is with other peoples when men lead everything: Competing inner conflict and ambitions. He has seen this effect himself, and now his own son has seen it with his own eyes, too. Women are just better able to agree on how things should run, whether that be a family or a tribe.

The men of the Pebai and the other tribes of the true people certainly have their own important roles, though. We are the herders, the hunters, the fishermen, and when needed, the soldiers. The Shamans are all men, usually passing their calling from father to son.

Speaking of daughters, the two Sarak and Khatyako had came out of the tent and yelped with excitement, hugging him ferociously. They had really grown! Senda, age 11, and Yar, age 8. The future of the tribe would someday be with them. But it was a consolation to know that, at least for the moment, they were still fun-loving girls that get excited when Papa comes home. “Girls, girls! I missed you, too! We will spend all day tomorrow together, I promise. But for the rest of the day I need to talk with Mama and the others.” They were smart girls and understood what was going on; their mother was raising them well.

Senda moved away, tugging her little sister with her, and shouted over her shoulder. "Ok, Papa, but you better have brought us presents from the foreign lands!"

But now, after his long trip, as much as he just wanted to grab Katyakho and lay down with her next to a warm fire, he had to tell her – and everyone else – some important things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lnbaer8il78fx8z6g.jpg
zfjwuve3kian7jl6g.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Khatyako heard the calls of the scouts over an hour ago, reporting the return of Sarak and Samatu. She had never prayed so much as she had these past few months. It was so hard for her to ask him to undertake this trip all those months ago, knowing the dangers, but news from beyond the Tribes were getting less and less common. She had to send someone she could trust to find out what was going on in the wider world. What she didn’t expect was Sarak wanting to bring Samatu, but it did make sense. He needed the experience and wasn’t that far away from getting married, himself.

As Sarak approached, she saw the all-too-familiar glimmer in his eye, the one that always made her blush. But he knew how to be a good husband to a Chieftess, and he did his duty. After the girls interrupted and gave their Papa a hug, of course.

He knelt down before her, putting his head by her snowy feet. “Wise mother,” he said, using the term of address for a Chieftess, “I have returned with many stories of my travels.”
She reached down and lifted him up by the arm, saying the words intended for public consumption. Her heart yearned to say much different words. “Dear husband, your return fills my heart with joy. Come in and tell me everything.” She had intended to turn and go inside, but her emotion welled up. Abruptly, she threw her arms around Sarak and kissed him hard, right on the mouth, for several seconds. As soon as Sarak overcame his shock, though, and started to put his arms around her, she pulled away. A crowd of people started to gather, and some of them chuckled.

A piercing voice broke the quiet scene. “Cleansed! They must be cleansed before entering the Wise Mother’s mya, especially after their trip to foreign lands!” A man approached. As she knew from his voice, it was the new, young, and idiotic Shaman. Hopefully the Spirits would send her a new Shaman soon. This one was incredibly irritating.

Khatyako responded, trying to hide her exasperation. “Of course. Perform the cleansing, and then send Sarak inside.” He heard the Shaman take the two to his mya, and the sound of the Shaman’s tambourine fill the air. Khatyakho took the time to make sure freshly cooked reindeer was available in her mya; Sarak would undoubtedly be very hungry.

After a few minutes, Sarak and Yurak entered, joined by the trader Mandak. Besides the two of them, a few of the elder women were in attendance, along with two other advisers, the tribal negotiator, and Wayngachi, off in the corner of the tents, listening. Wayngachi’s job was to study people and listen to whispers. It was unusual to have so many men advisers, actually. The only roles woman are barred from are Shaman and, when there is one, War Chief.

4zn93w9c9y6addl6g.jpg

She offered Sarak food, which he eagerly consumed. After a few minutes he rose to his feet and spoke. “Wise Mother, it’s time for me to share with you all the stories of my travels.” She nodded. Sarak then looked into the fire, reflections of the fire dancing in his dark eyes. He spoke, forming images with his words.

7eed3qeanutym536g.jpg
cxn9godqrveg8dw6g.jpg

“The foreign lands are in upheaval. From the time of our last trek, tribes are in very different places than where they used to be, and new tribes have arrived. Nearby to the northwest, as we already knew, the Lamtü, or lowlanders of the true people, have been united under their own High Chieftess, named Kontäw. I met her, and she expressed her desire to live in peace together as neighbors.”

thc85ndte1sp81y6g.jpg

“I traveled south to two areas dominated by the Finns, Romny and Belo-Ozero. They were very fearful of activities going on further to the west, so I headed that way, towards the lands of the Slavs. There, I discovered that a Viking named Rurik had invaded and had become ruler there. While he has kept loyal to the Norse faith, his son Helgi is reported to follow the Slavic faith but still retain Norse customs. I do not expect that nearby Slav leaders will be safe.” The Vikings had been known to them, especially to the lowland tribes that had their shoreline raided by them from time to time.

2z23x9c1881kvhu6g.jpg
qp0d9w9xx7rufqy6g.jpg

“I traveled southeast to the Mordvins. They are scattered, and fighting between each other will most likely start soon unless a larger tribe overruns them sooner. I traveled on to the Volga River and to the Altaic peoples. There, too, they seemed to be forming armies. They have mastered combat from atop horses, though, and they look capable of fearsome things.”

“Lastly, I traveled north to the Komi. They greeted us warmly. Interestingly, despite me telling them that I was of the tribe Pebai, their High Chief, a man called Burmort, refered to me as a ‘messenger from the Yaran peoples.’ I’m not sure how this name came to be for us, but he says it’s quite common among Komis that all the tribes of the true people are called in this way.”

“Also, interestingly, it appears that the Finns, Komi and Mordvins still pray to the Spirits in a similar way that we do. Not the same way, and the gods and spirits have different names, but it felt more familiar than any of the other practices I saw in the different lands."

“Wise people from the southern lands say that, in lands even farther to the south, that there are great tribes that have armies the size greater than we have numbers for, and that their ways of praying are especially strange, only having one god. One of these tribes uses a cross for a symbol for their god, and the other one uses the image of the crescent moon as a symbol for their own.”

“In all, Wise Mother, there is great chaos happening around us. I fear for the safety of our people, and that of the other true people.”
Khatyako sighed. So much danger. Even while Sarak was gone, their scouts would find bands of people wandering north, apparently to escape danger to the south. Unfortunately, these people were not used to the natural dangers of the north, and most perished.

The Shaman spoke. “Wise Mother, for eons the gods and spirits have protected our lands. We know how to live here, but others do not. We find their frozen remains all the time. Surely, we are safe in the lands of the true people.”

There was a pregnant pause as people took in the Shaman’s words.

"Yaran." It was just that one word Khatyako spoke. “The Komi have given us this name, because it is the way the world is moving, away from the era of tribes. Instead of just raiding other tribes for valuables or women, tribes are conquering other tribes to rule them.”

“Is this no different than the arrangement we have with the Pyak and Yezyngi, Wise Mother?” This time it was the negotiator, that spoke. “They defer to us and pay tribute because there are more of us and we are able to field more warriors.”

Khatyakho thought on this. “No, this is something more. They pay us tribute, and we leave them alone, but their payment also comes with knowledge that we will fight any other group that comes along. And this just an arrangement of the moment; that could change in an instant. No, I feel these other conquerors do so to create even bigger armies that can conquer even more distant lands. Especially ones that are perceived as weak and unorganized.” A look of concern and urgency crept onto her face.

“We will not be that weaker tribe, one that is ripe for conquest. Our survival – and that of the true people – count on it.” She looked to Sarak. “Husband, I name you War Chief of the Pebai, to…. No. That’s wrong. I name you War Chief of the Yaran people. You will prepare the soldiers of our tribes for war.”

Sarak stood up quickly, the meaty reindeer rib falling out of his hand. “Against who?!”

Khatyako did not respond, and looked to the negotiator. “Send a messenger to Lamtü of the lowlands. Tell her we look forward to an era of peace, as well.” She looked around to the others. “We will march on Lamtü’s warriors and unite all the tribes of the Yaran under our leadership. We will provide a strong, united front to the foreigners. And I will not clue Lamtü in on her lack of foresight and allow her to strengthen her defenses in the meantime.” All in the room sat or stood in place, shocked at the words of the High Chieftess.

"And now leave us, please. I wish to spend some time with my husband."

As the others shuffled out, Sarak slumped back down and uttered to himself the word that had been on his toungue ever since he had visited the Komi. "Yaran." As Khatyako started to tug on his clothes, thoughts of future conflict subsided, at least temporarily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2v85zr3qfkcnl266g.jpg
qlgqp9mxj0tz1606g.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am definitely intrigued. Do they still have female ruler/female heir penalties?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure yet. She only has 1 vassal at the moment, a shaman, and I didn't see the penalty there. Maybe true cognatic doesnt give those penalties? That's not something I modded at all.

Last edited:
I don't think True Cognatic negates those penalties no, not last I tried. If it does show up, and you want to negate it, you could add in a triggered modifier that triggers on female Yaran rulers that gives the same amount of opinion bonus as Female heir/ruler takes away. Considering you'll always have a female heir and a female ruler, that would be a -10 opinion malus in CK2+ right?

That's a good idea. If the malus does show up, I will structure the event to only negate it for Yaran culture. The rest of the world just doesn't understand!

EDIT: I've decided to leave the malus as-is. All Yaran feudal vassals will be women, anyway. Any foreign culture feudal vassals can be men, and will have the malus. That should make things interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting starting place. It will be tough.

I had played through nearly 20 years, but now with 1.102 released with enatic succession I will be rebooting this AAR. Also, I will not be running CK2+ in this reboot.

Kisses, Paradox!

Chapter One - Part One

Due to limited time this entry is mostly written in a simple narrative style versus story style. Future versions will have more story.
From the perspective of the ruler, High Chieftess Khatyako.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Time elapsed; the long darkness gave way and the sun finally returned above the horizon. For my plan to be carried out, there is so much to do. I must build wealth and power to unite all the Yaran lands.

My son Samatu turned of age. His trip with his father to view the foreign lands has given him wisdom and insight beyond his years. He might be useful as a negotiator.

And I should have known that with Sarak's return, there were bound to be some new developments! He has kept me quite busy lately...

With my own family expanding, I realized it was time for me to pair my son Samatu with a good woman. One of the leading families of a local village had a skilled daughter; I invited her to my camp and an agreement was made. Samatu will wed her.

With time, word of my ambition and plans spread throughout my tribe. "Bold" they call me. I've been called worse.

That September, I gave birth to healthy son! I named him Yavlad.

Apparently, my son Samatu took to having a wife very quickly. It didn't take him long to figure things out.

As I plotted my plan to unite the Yaran, I knew that I did not yet have the strength to march against High Chieftess Kontäw of the Lamtü. I have to strike against a weaker target, one that will help me build towards later goals. The Veps were ripe for the picking. With only two regions under his control and no allies, the Finn High Chief Karhu would not be able to best our warriors.

Even as Sarak marched off to war, life continues on back at home in the villages. Senda, my daughter and heir, came of age. The future of the Yaran will be her responsibility someday. I found her a suitable man to be her husband. There were a noticeable lack of good Yaran men to pick from, unfortunately.

Before I marched him off to war, Sarak made sure I would not forget him. Several months after his departure, I gave birth to another daughter. For how long would the Spirits bless me with the ability to have more children?

After a few decisive battles, the war was won!

Now I was in the position of having two men - Finnish chiefs - running their tribes, supposedly loyal to me. This wouldn't do at all. I don't trust them one bit.

Not having any true vassals of my own yet, I had nobody to anger if I dealt with these men swiftly and harshly.

Of course, I knew they would not be pleased at this.

Having just beaten them at war, they were in no position to resist, though.

After I stripped them of their lands, I let them linger in the prison pen, exposed to the harsh elements, for a short time before sending them off to faraway lands. I decided to directly manage these lands as well, which was a stretch, but I hadn't decided who I should have run the tribes yet. A short time later, the villagers of Pomorye ended up adopting our ways. Excellent.

Kontäw didn't like my moves, however. These areas are an extension of the Yaran lowlands and so she felt entitled to these areas, although she took no action of her own to make them hers. So she apparently held this against me. By now she must know that I would soon be making moves into her lands. She must, right?

Time passed, and my second daughter came of age. A husband was found for her, as well.

When almost a year had gone by, and as spring approached, I determined that the time was right to move on Kontäw. I would finally unite the Yaran.

Just as soon as I sent my husband off to war again, my pregnant first daughter brought me excellent news. A granddaughter! This was a fantastic omen; I was going to be bringing our people forward, united, and under our family's leadership for generations.

For this, I wanted to be beyond sure that I would succeed. With the wealth that we had established, we made contact with a group of warriors of the Rus that would fight for anyone for money. While victory without them was probable, their added numbers made the outcome inevitable.

After the surrender, I had Kontäw brought before me. The craftsmen had constructed the largest mya that the Yaran had ever built, and they built and put within it a large raised chair embroidered with the traditional patterns of every single tribe of the Yaran. Seated in this glorious chair I received Kontäw. She walked in, still dirty from her trip. I gave instructions that she was not to be afforded the luxuries that a guest normally would.

As I looked upon her, I could see the worry on her face. Clearly, despite years of my maneuvering, she had not fully anticipated the likelihood of my success to unite our people under my rule as High Chieftess.

I spoke to her. "Will you serve me faithfully? Will you be loyal?"

Kontäw looked up at me. "At your order, many men were killed, just so you could sit on your new chair and give orders to all the Yaran. I will do what I must so that no more blood will be shed. Is that enough?"

No, I thought. It's not. I would have had her imprisoned at the moment, but I had to be sensitive to how this would look to all the Yaran, especially the tribes that had just come under my rule. "We can only do what we are capable of, so this will be enough. I will have you sent back home." If she had been more submissive to me, perhaps I would have allowed her to be a Chieftess and rule in my name somewhere. But I cannot have someone who thinks so poorly of me act in any capacity of power.

Shortly after she returned, I had fabricated and passed from mouth to mouth some tale of insult and disloyalty on her part. Then, I demanded to take charge of the tribes under her direction. Naturally, she did not agree. The armies were sent in again to recapture and bring Kontäw before me one more time, this time as a prisoner.

One morning I heard the victorious armies return, their happy cheers filling the air for miles. Finally, I was High Chieftess to all the people of the Yaran, and there was nobody that could interfere with my plans. Shortly after the army's return, however, there was a cry of despair from the mya of my second daughter Yar. Sarak came up to me and told me what had happened. "Wise Mother, we are victorious. Kontäw and her forces are beaten, and she is our prisoner. Sirtya, husband to Yar, died in the battle." I made sure to put on a pained face in front of so many people. He was a decent lad, but hardly irreplaceable. I would find a handsome man for Yar in due time to make up for her sorrow.

But more importantly, our task was successful. The Yaran are truly united, now.

The funeral of my daughter's husband did pain me over time, however. Maybe my ambition had caused too much pain and suffering.

A short time after the funeral, I visited Kontäw in the prison pen. She certainly wasn't holding up well, which is to be expected considering the rough conditions.

I informed her that I would be taking over all her responsibilities and all her wealth would be reallocated to help the cause of the Yaran people. In exchange, I informed her that she and her family would be spared, but would be sent very, very far away. Unlike our last meeting, she was much more receptive to my ideas and agreed enthusiastically.

The Yaran people took very well to my direct rule. I started to place my daughters into positions of responsibility within the various tribes. By the next summer, I was feeling quite good about things.

I moved my mya to the coast and ruled the tribes from there, taking personal control of Kontäw's home tribe. How quickly the villagers turned to me and let me know how foolish of a person Kontäw really was.

I had accomplished the first task I had set out for; I had united the Yaran people. There were still large nations near us, but we were no longer a series of unorganized tribes that would fall to an outside invader so quickly. From the reaches of the snowy north, we have become formidable.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The image limit for an AAR update is 20 (with any posts made within an hour counting as one update, just for the record). Please try to stay within that limit from now on.

Chapter One - Part Two

As High Chieftess Khatyako of the Yaran.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some entrepreneurial people had gotten together and devised a way of representing the geography and peoples of the world by drawing a picture. They said this was called a "map" in foreign lands. The best and most ornate "map" filled a whole table and was located in my mya (tent). Sarak and my other advisers stood as I sat in was now being called a "throne", another foreign word, and examined the large map.

"Wise Mother," my husband Sarak began. He was always sure to use the proper titles when in the company of others. "We have accomplished our immediate goal of uniting the Yaran people. What else would you have us do?" I looked at the map and considered my next words.

"Yes, we have united the true people, the Yaran. But I fear that to our neighbor Rurik we would be just another tempting group of provinces to him. On this map we look quite large, but our lands are sparsely populated compared to the warm lands to the south. He has many people. He could still march through us. And even with our united strength, we do not command the number of troops or status to dissuade an attack yet."

My chief negotiator spoke up. "Yes, Wise Mother. The rulers of the large foreign lands near us hold titles that surpass those of tribal chieftains or high chieftains. The Finns have terms - 'King' (Kuningas) for a man and 'Queen' (Kuningatar) for a woman. It means more than a Chief or High Chief, and means that they rule lands greater than one or even several tribes."

I thought on this. "Yes, we need to demonstrate that we control many lands and people, and that our status rivals theirs. I will build a Queendom." I looked down at the map. "High Chief Burmort of the Komi commands respect among his people. And it was his people who coined the phrase 'Yaran' in the first place. They are foreigners, but not so different than us, even if misguided. Each of us are too weak to survive independently, however. So we will swallow them up. When our forces and wealth have sufficiently recovered from our last venture, War Chief, march East."

Sarak nodded. "Yes, Wise Mother."

When the time was right, war was declared. The Rus Band would be useful again. Unlike last time, the outcome to this war was not certain, even with the services of the mercenary band.

Reports from the war front came in, and so did reports from our eastern villages. Our troops had entered the land of the Komi to the east, but they formed their army and saw it was smaller than ours and avoided direct confrontation, flanking our army and entering our lands.

With some deft maneuvering over time, we pinned down the enemy army for the decisive battle and destroyed them.

Around this time, my spymaster died. When picking a replacement, I could pick a promising woman in my service or my own son who was nearly as qualified. Naturally, I picked my son. It's too dangerous a world to be trusting those not of my blood with my own safety.

And apparently I have been attending to my official duties too much; my youngest daughter is behaving poorly.

Two years after the decisive battle, enough of the Komi lands had fallen where they were forced to concede surrender.

My mapmakers have work to do to reflect our new victory!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The problem I found myself having is that these new tribes under my control were still controlled by the men that they had ruling over them before. As I contemplated how I would manage them, they attempted to force the issue.

As I ordered my armies to march again, tragedy struck. My son became ill during the long winter and never recovered. He had just come of age; I was about to find him someone to marry. Instead I was forced to build a burial mound for him by our ancestors. He represented the future, and now I felt such sorrow at his loss.

After his death, next year during the summer, I heard of a situation that came up. I had to honor our traditions and hope it would be an omen of good things to come.

The next spring, the rebellion was put down.

I stripped the traitorous men of their lands and titles and sent them on their way, never to bother us again. The Komi no longer ruled their own lands. Hopefully, over time, they will adopt our customs and culture. I continued my previous actions of handing out the titles I stripped from my former enemies to my daughters. It worked out that I have three areas under my rule, and three daughters. My eldest daughter has only one region to her name at the moment; she is to inherit all of my other holdings upon my death. My youngest daughter was surprised to learn that she would be a Chieftess in her own right.

There was even another opportunity to capture another border province. At this point I am getting so accustomed to our success it hardly even seems worth mentioning anymore. How long would our great fortune last?

Now, with all of these lands under my control, I rivaled some of the greatest tribes or nations that we had knowledge of. It was time for me to establish my Queendom.

As my Chief Shaman placed a gold band around my head, I couldn't help but think how blessed we were by the Spirits. I had accomplished all I had set out to do. What would I do next?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings readers!

While I feel a little awkward doing this, I would like to request feedback to my thread here, since it's my first AAR. Constructive criticism welcome!

Are there any suggestions about what would make this better? Less images? More story? More attempt at humor? More text detail?

Thanks!

I'm really enjoying this AAR, I ussually don't comment, but your idea is VERY intersting and I acttuly wait intently for updates.

I wonder, are you planning on staying (and/or reforming) the Uralic faith? or you planning on converting to something?

Thank you both for your kind responses. While it's enjoyable to write these for my own entertainment, it is encouraging to know that these hold the interest of others, as well. But if there is any critical feedback, I'd be glad to hear it!

I guess I had initially assumed I'd try to tough it out in the Uralic faith, but I suppose under the right circumstances a non zealous ruler could make the choice.

I will work on the next part this evening!

Greetings readers!

While I feel a little awkward doing this, I would like to request feedback to my thread here, since it's my first AAR. Constructive criticism welcome!

Are there any suggestions about what would make this better? Less images? More story? More attempt at humor? More text detail?

Thanks!

I'm currently playing a Enatic-Cognatic Ultimogeniture Mali game in 867 and you got me interested in your AAR. I should have started a Valkyrie Norse Enatic-Cognatic instead (Mali is slow and hard). I'd say use your own style as you see fit for writing. It's just best to use a form you are familiar with instead of pleasing a vague impersonal crowd.

But since you ask, I don't like AARs who are simply a scrapbook of pictures with 1 line text between each. It just seems like a big photo scroll and it's harder to follow. Big walls of text discourage me from reading it at first as well. Proper balance is key! Memes are fine if used sparingly and during key moments. Too many just kill the humour effect for me. Just my opinion!

I'll be following!

Chapter One - Part Three

Queen Khatyako surveyed the newly commissioned work on the village of Kholmogory, where she established her residence after defeating her rival Kontaw. Yaran men learned some of the ways of foreigners and suggested that a large house made out of stone be built, and that the traditional mya (tents) could be placed around it to help keep the traditional appearance. The design was approved, and work began. When finished, it would provide a safe place to hold many people, weapons, gold, and food for storage.

In the months since declaring herself the Queen of Yarans, she had welcomed a number of visitors from foreign lands. Few knew their language and so could not communicate directly, but there were those Yaran that knew the languages of the Norse and Rus enough in order to communicate. Most visitors that came spoke at least one of those languages, at least. Through their translated words, the visitors piled compliments onto me. No doubt, they were really there to see what was really going on. She was told that a woman ruler is rare in most lands; they must find a woman’s presence on a throne a spectacle indeed.

The thought of receiving delegates from other lands while sitting naked on her throne crossed her mind, eliciting a small snort on her part. Maybe I should just accentuate the point, she thought. She shook her head. Back in the day, when she was a young woman, perhaps that would have been quite the spectacle indeed. Nobody wants to see the saggy sack of bones she is now, though. She thought of Sarak. Over the years, to his credit, he always looked at her the same way. Never did he lose the look of love in his eye despite the aging of their bodies. She was lucky to have found such a good man. He was so special, for the way he loved her, and for his dedication to her vision, which he had worked so hard to make a reality.

Today, she did not hold an audience for foreigners. Instead, she held a meeting of her family and closest advisors, looking around the most recent redrawing of the ‘map’. My daughters Senda, Yar, and Tada were present, along with their own daughters. Senda’s husband Tadebya was also present because he held the status of a Shaman; my Chief Shaman Noumea had said it would be good if he attended.

Her daughter Senda stood and spoke. Khakyako had instructed her previously to start asserting her role as future queen, to start getting people used to seeing her in a position of authority over the rest of the family. “Mother, I’ve asked for this meeting with the family and our advisors to decide what course we should now take now that you have declared our Queendom.”

“Yes, of course, daughter,” I said. “Do you have any suggestions?”

Senda spoke again. “We do, mother. Kujku had an interesting proposal that I’d like you to consider.” Senda then looked over at her daughter Kujku and nodded for her to speak. This was unexpected.

“Grandmother,” she said, bowing, “I have been speaking with my father and our Chief Shaman. They have taught me the ways of our ancestors and the Spirits. Many of the foreign lands hold strange customs, but there are some lands nearby that hold customs similar to ours. We should try to convince these close by lands through diplomacy or force that their path lies either with us, or they risk being pillaged and conquered by strange foreigners.”

Khatyako considered the girl she had been mentoring since the age of 6. The girl was 15 now, just about to come of age. “Yes, Kujku, this is not a bad idea. Who would you target, then?”

“I would target the lands of Purginepaz of the Mordvin,” she said confidently. “But he will not willingly join us; he will overestimate his ability to hold off our forces. He has only one weak ally and cannot overcome our numbers. Someone will take them over. It might as well be us.”

Khatyako thought for a moment, considering the possibility. “Yes, that's plausible, Kujku. Good thinking. We will work to this goal.” I looked over at my husband Sarak. “I think the girl thinks her grandpa should get to work and form an army!” After she said this, Khatyako noticed that Sarak's clothes appeared tight on him. Had he been gaining some weight? She reminded herself to talk to the cooks about his diet.

Sarak chuckled and winked at the girl. “Well, I don’t want to disappoint!” With that, he walked out of the room and headed towards the soldier training grounds.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: