• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
slamelov said:
Timur, why developers think that players are some kind of dumb people who does not like "hard" games?. There is casual players, but there is also players who want deeper games. I-War 1 sold a lot, that was the reason because they released an expansion pack and a second I-War.

People buys good games with good marketing. Flight SImulator sells millions, and is not casual, X-Plane sells a lot, and is not casual, IL2 Sturmovik Series sold a lot, and it's not casual...

Why always are devs focusing the games for casual market?.

When you try to create a game for "all andiences", casual and "hardcores", you will not get happy neither of them.

They didn't. Often they would like to, but they didn't.
And we didn't, as well. We just tried to make it a little bit more suitable for less hardcore gamers. You know, Blizzard do not make casual games, but their games are hard to play, as well, and a millions of people plays them. It's about design primary, and not about dividing gamers to hard and casual. Blazing angels is more suitable for a lot of people, comparing it to MS FlightSim and so on. And you are definately right - trying to make game "for all" it's a way to nowhere. However while every developer knows this,they make a lot of mistakes still. We are, as well. :)

Hi again, Timur!

I'd just like to pop back into this discussion and say that while I believe you that you can make a game that is enjoyable for both hard core and soft core fans (no, not THAT kind of media!) the right way of making a game with mass-market appeal is NOT by removing joystick support. I say this because it appears you're trying to imply that leaving out joystick support was a conscious design decision to make it more accessible, which of course is utter hogwash. Rather, it was most likely inexperience with and lack of research into the genre, which is common but unacceptable and usually catastrophic.

As for "casual" and "hard core": (1) a casual game is intended to be played for a few minutes now and then. You CAN'T make a casual space flight combat sim. (2) The only games with mass market appeal are tech-heavy FPS games, vanilla RTS games, and 3rd person hack-and-slash action games (of anything if you're Will Wright or Hideo Kojima) - after 2000 space sims left the mass market. (3) A game with appeal for mass market does not have to be "casual" - this is a misunderstanding of gamers. If you do not know of the Russian pedagogue and teacher Vigotskij, look him up. He formulated the thesis that the we learn as best when we're helped to push against our ceiling (but not beyond). This is what makes a good game: it gives you the help you need to develop with it.

This is coming from a game programmer and designer since 20 years.

I waited to buy this game only to find out there`s NO proper JOYSTICK SUPPORT!!?? Not buying this unless fixed. i`ll stick to retro gaming for now. They knew how to make good space flight sim games right in the old days.

wonderswan said:
Hi again, Timur!

I'd just like to pop back into this discussion and say that while I believe you that you can make a game that is enjoyable for both hard core and soft core fans (no, not THAT kind of media!) the right way of making a game with mass-market appeal is NOT by removing joystick support. I say this because it appears you're trying to imply that leaving out joystick support was a conscious design decision to make it more accessible, which of course is utter hogwash. Rather, it was most likely inexperience with and lack of research into the genre, which is common but unacceptable and usually catastrophic.

As for "casual" and "hard core": (1) a casual game is intended to be played for a few minutes now and then. You CAN'T make a casual space flight combat sim. (2) The only games with mass market appeal are tech-heavy FPS games, vanilla RTS games, and 3rd person hack-and-slash action games (of anything if you're Will Wright or Hideo Kojima) - after 2000 space sims left the mass market. (3) A game with appeal for mass market does not have to be "casual" - this is a misunderstanding of gamers. If you do not know of the Russian pedagogue and teacher Vigotskij, look him up. He formulated the thesis that the we learn as best when we're helped to push against our ceiling (but not beyond). This is what makes a good game: it gives you the help you need to develop with it.

This is coming from a game programmer and designer since 20 years.

Thanks for your post!

However, we havent't removed joystick support, as you pointed above, since we just haven't implemented it in a proper way, since we have been siriously restricted by production budgets. :(

P.S: Actually, we have not tried to make any sort of casual game.

EXTREME3D said:
I waited to buy this game only to find out there`s NO proper JOYSTICK SUPPORT!!?? Not buying this unless fixed. i`ll stick to retro gaming for now. They knew how to make good space flight sim games right in the old days.

They did, you are right, and we will try to do our best to learn from. Thanks for your patience - actually we've bought Saitek for our studio and now're on the way to start proper joystick control integration.

news?

any further news on joystick support? or a possible release date for this patch? just got this game today and boy am i very dissapointed. my joystick(logitech force 3d pro)/wheel/analog controler all dont work... normally i would have done my research before hand but i really like the vids i had seen of this game and just ordered it. now seeing that was a mistake. i know this has all been said but seeing as no one has posted in so many days, wanted to keep it fresh. thanks for your time and effort.

Don't worry guys, patch is in progress. At current moment we have implemented mapping any actions to any joy buttons and other features regarding analog controls are in process.

I suppose all stuff will be ready for both - Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon games - near to middle of December.

Thanks for your patience.

Timur Lazarenko
Producer/Director
Quazar Studio

Glad to hear that we with joysticks aren't being forgotten.

I've not been able to play this game since it's release due to the unuseable (imho) controls.

I keep checking back at irregular intervals but was begining to think it was all for nothing. Despite myself I'm still looking forwards to giving this game a try.

Yours in antici.....pation. :rolleyes:

Well i guess like some of you on here i should have done my home work. I have played a little of the game and it looks great.....but with out the joystick/throttle/Rutter peddles it is just not enjoyable. I am glad that the devs are working toward getting this fixed. By the way i have CH Products Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Peddles. Well i will have to check back later to see if anything has been done to fix this issue

Hello guys,

Some update from devs regarding topic.
We have inplemented more than half of the work on supporting joystick. Now we are testing some campatibilites with different hardware. Even nore, we want to tune playership's physics when using your joys, so it will remain some more time to implement. Be patient, friends. Hope everything will be ready for final release to Christmass holidays.

Timur Lazarenko
Director/Producer

Dear friends,

We have to appoligoize for big delays with delivering new patch for youstick due to holidays. At current moment we have implemented mapping any game functions to any joy buttons and axis support, but other features implementation are suspending to run. If you consider this enough to be released, we can proceed - that's for your judge.

Timur Lazarenko
Quazar Studio
Producer

Last edited:
send the patch!

Timur, I am waiting for the joystick patch for some time.... I think you should post it the way it is , with the buttons and axis assignable, that enough for me, I just want to play the game now....

Louis

Hi Timur, I´m very sorry to hear about the bad economical situation of your studio. Actually, I planned to wait ordering the game until there´s joystick implementation. After I read your last posting, I decided to order a copy and got it delivered today... But please, make the joystick working :) I won´t play with keyboard & mouse.

I wish you a lot of sold copys!