• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aye, Full joystick support would be nice. I'd rather control my speed with my joystick throttle, or use the many buttons i have to switch my targets, and be able to barrel roll. It's kind of cumbersome right now the way it is, I only have limited steering control with my joystick.

Walter Sobchak said:
Those who have a joystick with profiler software can try to make a profile for the game that maps the desired ingame keys to the joystick buttons of your choice.

You can, but that's useless without the facility to properly assign joystick, POV and throttle axes - which Cobopolies post suggests the game doesn't have? If not, its a complete non-starter, for me anyway.

Pity, the screenies looked rather promising.

Hertston said:
You can, but that's useless without the facility to properly assign joystick, POV and throttle axes - which Cobopolies post suggests the game doesn't have? If not, its a complete non-starter, for me anyway.

Pity, the screenies looked rather promising.

This is true. As of right now, all the joystick controls have to offer is a button to fire guns, shoot missles, and control the X and Y axis. It's rather limited considering that a free open source space flight sim(Privateer Remake to be specific) can use the full functionality of my joystick.

Joystick Support is NECESSARY for 3-D Space Combat you fools.

Cobopolies said:
This is true. As of right now, all the joystick controls have to offer is a button to fire guns, shoot missles, and control the X and Y axis. It's rather limited considering that a free open source space flight sim(Privateer Remake to be specific) can use the full functionality of my joystick.

Are you kidding me? :confused: I was looking forward to buying this game, but if it has no/poor joystick support, then what is the point of the game? Who in their right mind would spend the time to create a 3-D space combat game and NOT have fluent joystick support? The developers of this game should hang their heads in shame for overlooking something so integral.

It's just rediculous. What's next? Selling cars without steering wheels?
Add support for my Saitek X52, and i'll buy your game. It's crap like this that's killed the genre. Way to go guys. :mad:

I found this game on gametrailers and thought it looked attractive. Then I come here and see that there is no proper joystick support?

Ok, not wanting to throw a tantrum or anything but HOW CAN YOU MAKE A SPACEFLIGHT FIGHTER SIMULATOR WITHOUT INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH JOYSTICK SUPPORT?!

Let me spell it out for you. This is a niche genre. People who want to play these games have been starved since Freespace 2 and I-War 2. There recently was this game "Starforce Rogue" or something that also tried making a similar game without joy support and it was HATED by everyone that tried it.

Personally I blame MS studios for trying to dumb down the genre with Starlancer and Freelancer to what amounted to mouse-only spaceflight games - one of gaming histories' most stupid games ever. If I was a future space fighter jockey I sure it sucks being caught near a neutron stars wouldn't dogfight with it using a mouse!

Now, this game looks nice. Add PROPER and utterly customisable joystick control steering and we might have a proper game here.

If this game has NO JOYSTICK SUPPORT... Then there is NO way for this Space Sim junkie to play it.

This quote is from a friend of mine:
A Flight Sim WITHOUT joystick is nothing more than a 3 Dimensional Role Playing Game!

You should NOT have to find programs like Joy-Mouse just to play a game that SHOULD have built-in Joystick Controls.

Implementing Joystick Controls in Microsoft's DirectX via their Software Development Kit is pretty easy... See this article from Microsoft:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206283(VS.85).aspx

See this one:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="directx+sdk"+joystick&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

And this actual sample with source code available:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/directx/joystick.aspx

The DirectX SDK's have had plenty of Joystick Control sample programs over many many years.

Most games are written in mostly in C/C++/C# these days with some speed critical code rewritten in Assembly for purely speed reasons!

So if the developers left out Joystick Controls... it must be because they totally forgot to allow something so obvious that even a young child could see it!

I've developed software for almost 31 years... there is not a valid reason to NOT code in Joystick Controls in a Space Simulation... it just doesn't take that much to do and doesn't add very much in executable file size!

It would be similar to telling a modern Jet Fighter Pilot that they must fly their multi-million dollar aircraft with ONLY a Mouse. No Joystick, No Throttle Controls, No Pitch and Yaw Controls of any kind. I just don't see that as viable in the "Real World"!

DOH!

I would have purchased Freelancer... but WAIT they screwed people that like to fly using Joystick Controls by leaving that out!

I'm now 51 years old, My mouse skills are pretty good for someone my age... but there is NO WAY that I can control a Space Sim with only a mouse and keyboard.

My joystick is used purely for the steering mechanism and I use all other functions on the keyboard.

:rolleyes:

P. S. Emulating a joystick via an external mechanism / external program is a poor methodology because you don't get the accuracy or as good a response for the Joystick Controls you would have if ACTUAL code is used for the joystick inside the executable program.

SIGH!

:mad:

Last edited:
Man!! I just downloaded this game

I have been waiting for a space sim for quite some time. I pretty much pick up almost all of the titles... But maybe I should do some homework before because I keep getting shafter. Looked ok, when I started it, until I spent the last 30 minutes trying to get my joystick supported. I went to the config files and tried to manipulate the assignments. That did not work, but then again, I do not know what the constants are or even if they do have support for those things.... I mean, I do not want to go nuts, but come on guys!!!!! Was this made for PS2???

Sorry guys.

We have to appologize to our genre fans. Huge thanks you everone for comprehensive criticts about problems with proper joysitck support in our game. We will do all possible to make these things better. If someone really want to help by serious discuss with developers about things they want to see in the game alternative controls, write here please contact@quazar-studio.com; This will be very apperciated and even more, "credits"ed in the patch. Thanks.

pilot001 said:
nonsense. they have a few controls bound to the joystick (which you can't change) and you can't add any more commands to any joystick buttons.

that isn't "joystick support".

What he said.

Your comments noted Timur but, in all honesty, rather than reading e-mails on the subject the best thing you could do is buy a Saitek X52 and play Arvoch Conflict or any of the Source Code Freespace 2 games for a few hours using it.