• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheChalk

Captain
40 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
So this was a rather interesting idea I had - a "Reconquista" of all the ex-Spanish colonies in the Americas.

This is my 3rd AAR and will be written in a gameplay format. I'm still kinda noob-ish at Vic2, so bear with me. :)

As many of you know, this is how I will start:
a9JwNs9.png

For clarification, the criteria for success is to reclaim all the following lands:

Primary Objectives
Annex the following countries:

Colombia
Venezuela
Bolivia
Peru
Ecuador
Paraguay
Uruguay
Argentina
Chile

Secondary Objectives

Take over the Carribean
Take over Guyana
Annex Mexico
Annex the USCA (Or constituent countries)
Reclaim Gibraltar
Reclaim the Falklands

Extra Objectives

Annex Brazil
Reclaim Spanish Colonies from the USA (Texas, California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Florida)
Annex Portugal

LIST OF CONTENTS
Baby Steps
CARLO! CARLO! MY CANAL FOR REY CARLO!

Last edited:
BABY STEPS

This chapter is simply going to cover all the pre-unpause moves.

First off, I noticed that Spain starts with very low literacy, which will slow tech progress in the future - something I'm going to need if I want to win wars. I'm in no rush, I have 100 years, but I need to start solid. Therefore I choose Positivism for my first tech, for the Education boost. I also use my National Focuses to promote Clergymen in the two most populous provinces.
55icseo.png

To prove how little of a rush I'm in, I immediately start justifying a war against Colombia. I want to go for Panama, both for the (eventual) canal and to have ports on the Western side of the continent for later.
8YZDMDm.png

Then I move onto politics. I start with cordial relations with all of South + Central America, but I don't see the USCA lasting long and I don't plan on sphering nations I'm going to (re)conquer later. Therefore I influence and ally Brazil, as well as influencing Portugal and Mexico who won't yet be my allies.
KCyOs2W.png

Finally, I move onto the economy. What a suprise, Spain's is struggling. High education/Admin are a priority right now, so Taxes and Tariffs have to come up and everything else goes plummeting down. Sorry, citizens!
wsBVZ5c.png

There's also the question of the Carlist rebels Spain starts with. I'm going to ignore them and let them siege, so I can switch to the Absolute Monarchy later.

Last edited:
Should make for an interesting AAR. It's a good idea to go to war with Colombia so earlier, you'll need to spread out those infamy hits. Good Luck!

Subbed! Interesting move with the Carlists. Also, the screenshots (except the first one) don't work-they only have an imgur link. :)

Should make for an interesting AAR. It's a good idea to go to war with Colombia so earlier, you'll need to spread out those infamy hits. Good Luck!

Yeah, infamy is certainly going to be interesting to deal with. Hopefully by the time the Wars of Containment roll around I'll be able to deal with them :)

Subbed! Interesting move with the Carlists. Also, the screenshots (except the first one) don't work-they only have an imgur link. :)

No idea what you're on about. :rolleyes:

Well, not any more...:D

Neat idea for an AAR! Will follow.

Subbed... you should go for the old Spanish lands in Italy

Make sure you prove how little of a rush you're in for the Cono Sur, or those perfidious colonials will steal Patagonia and generally give you grief.

Nobody can say your goals aren't ambitious! Spain is a great country to play in Vicky 2, and I look forward to seeing how you do!

Ambitious premise, I'm really interested to see how this ends up! The infamy required to go about reconquering SA is going to be the obvious hurdle.

Just a small word of advice (apologies if you know this): you might want to reconsider how you've got your military spending allocated. During times of peace, there's practically no downside to having your national stockpile expenditure set to 0 (unless you're worried about somebody else declaring war on you, or you need domestic demand for military goods to keep military factories in business) - national stockpile is the amount of money that's spent on troops' equipment, and is reflected in their org. Military spending, however, are the wages you're actually paying your soldiers. At the moment, you've got that set to 0, which means they're literally not getting an income, and therefore won't be getting any life needs. This means they'll demote to other jobs, meaning you'll lose soldier pops (i.e., manpower,) or worse, they'll join a rebel faction. You obviously want loyal soldiers, as they're typically what you need to rely on to crush rebellions.

Just my 2c, apologies if it isn't wanted :D

Subbed in any case!

I'm pleased that you went absolutism. State-cap + faster CB!

Subscribe!
Yeah, Absolute Monarchy is definitely going to be useful.

Subbed... you should go for the old Spanish lands in Italy

I was thinking of that, but I will have to see if time and infamy allow it.

Make sure you prove how little of a rush you're in for the Cono Sur, or those perfidious colonials will steal Patagonia and generally give you grief.

That's a good point. Falklands and Gibraltar are definitely going to be interesting.

Nobody can say your goals aren't ambitious! Spain is a great country to play in Vicky 2, and I look forward to seeing how you do!
Thanks! I'm glad to recieve attention from such well known writAARs. :D

Ambitious premise, I'm really interested to see how this ends up! The infamy required to go about reconquering SA is going to be the obvious hurdle.

Just a small word of advice (apologies if you know this): you might want to reconsider how you've got your military spending allocated. During times of peace, there's practically no downside to having your national stockpile expenditure set to 0 (unless you're worried about somebody else declaring war on you, or you need domestic demand for military goods to keep military factories in business) - national stockpile is the amount of money that's spent on troops' equipment, and is reflected in their org. Military spending, however, are the wages you're actually paying your soldiers. At the moment, you've got that set to 0, which means they're literally not getting an income, and therefore won't be getting any life needs. This means they'll demote to other jobs, meaning you'll lose soldier pops (i.e., manpower,) or worse, they'll join a rebel faction. You obviously want loyal soldiers, as they're typically what you need to rely on to crush rebellions.

Just my 2c, apologies if it isn't wanted :D

Subbed in any case!
It's what I normally do, just keeping it up for now to resiege Rebel provinces as they slowly worm towards Madrid.

Next update tomorrow (probably). I might be able to squeeze it out tonight but we'll have to see.

That is a very ambitious list of targets, this will certainly be an entertaining read!
Certainly on both counts. Keep it up!
Thanks! I hope I can deliver.

CARLO! CARLO! MY CANAL FOR REY CARLO!

Whilst preparing for war, I get a research expedition pop-up. I need the prestige to keep my GP position, and I never liked the French anyway.
vUC2LvW.png

We finally get rebels in the capital in July 1837. Most of my troops are busy being redeployed in the Carribean.
FlMfbff.png

Meanwhile, my war preparations are almost finished. I present to you:
OPERATION CODENAME: IT'S OUR CANAL NOW
2j9Z7BO.png

I will deploy two armies: A smaller army will land in Panama (Indicated by red), and spread out to siege the wargoal. I will then send a larger army (Indicated by blue) into the north of Colombia, which will fan out and spread down the east towards the Capital. The green arrows indicate hope for AI competence.

In August 1837, I declare war on Colombia, and rebels finally siege the capital.
OLWpzDu.png
idsUKUD.png

The takeover follows soon after. I exercise my powers and immediately switch to Reactionary, for State Capitalism (I'm clueless with industrialisation) and Jingoism. Support in my country is still low, but I hope to get enough for multiple wargoals by the end of my Colombian war.
p8R2eaE.png
csWzj4l.png

I finish Positivism, and continue the chain of literacy-focussed techs with Functionalism.
Dar08EK.png

By Autumn 1938, the war in Colombia is nearly over and I get more free prestige. Some of the side effects of the Carlist takeover were a drop in prestige and a reset in all of my influence in other countries, apart from Colombia, who I'm still cordial with somehow.
7Su031X.png

The war is over by May 1939. Unfortunately I couldn't drum up enough Jingoism support for more land, but it's a start.
RteI78b.png