• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree with beartjah, you did pretty well after all, your divide-and-deconquer strategy worked wonders.

10 years of peace! That is shocking, you'll have to something about it... :)

I know. It is so un-French! :D
I have enough material for next chapter, probably due sometime tomorrow evening or Saturday at the latest.

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 7: Breaking the Coalition.

After all the warfare of the past 30 years, France is in dire need for some stability, and I do mean the regular usage of that word.
On top of that, our AE is such that any agressive move on our part might see an increase in the number of coalition members.

With that in mind, I spend the next decade keeping out of trouble. I build temples, constables and armories, annex Auvergne and repair relations with my vassals and allies. I also begin improving relations with most of my neighbours.

The first half of this chapter will therefore mostly be about international news.

xob04Dh.png

Louis dies and is succeeded by his son, Louis, whose heir is also named Louis. I wish there was a way to change those names, like there is in CK2. Oh well. At least my king and heir both have pretty good stats.

kATkEEz.png

31st of July, 1478. The Iberian Wedding. Aragon turns from a useful ally to a potential enemy and I really have to force myself not to claim Navarra as an excuse for war against Castille. I have enough enemies all around me as it is. Castille, until further notice, is still “just” a rival. Maybe I should wait 50 years and hope that Aragon gets integrated. That way, I could release them in war as a vassal and annex them afterwards myself. I kind of like that plan.

Which brings me to Austria and the HRE. After the Austrian subjugation by Poland, Hesse has become emperor. As usual, they are on a shopping spree for OPMs surrounding them and have grown to a 4-province nation at this point. A risky proposition would be to wait until Poland integrates Austria. Fight Poland, vassalise Austria in the peace deal, feed them, annex them. The main risk , of course, would be that Poland+Lithuania+Austria=one very scary Commonwealth. And with more than a foothold in the HRE, the prospects become really daunting.
At some point, I should consider sucking up to Muscovy.

ImmkeFY.png

Apart from the Iberian Wedding, this was the most exciting thing that happened in 2 years time. The war was almost decided by the time I got the call to arms, so France never mobilized, though I did see Flemish forces bravely setting out for Tuscany.

b4r8GGK.png

In february, 1484, Savoy finally sees the error of their ways and leaves the coalition. Since I am halfway to military tech 7, I do nothing. I want to have cannons before I go to war again. Lots of cannons.

QO65s33.png

Brittany leaves the coalition in June of 1485. They accept an alliance and Royal Marriage with France, but refuse to give up their alliance with Burgundy. So I have to coerce them into giving it up. Scratch another coalition member.

yWsyVRy.png

Two weeks later, England leaves the coalition as well. All of a sudden, Burgundy’s network is falling apart around them. With only Provence, Lorraine and Alsace to count on, the opportunity is too good to waste.

Iyh0kwY.png

Two days later, I declare war on Burgundy. I have 2 armies. Both are 25K strong and both are lead by excellent generals. One will head north, to engage the main Burgundian army. The other one will stay in the south at first and take care of the actual duchy itself.

2HkP0KR.png

The first major engagement. I loose 7250 men, against the Burgundians’ 14022. I call that a pretty good result. They run to Zeeland. I don’t think I can reach them there without crossing one river or another, so I plant my army in Antwerpen.
My second army has left a siege in Avignon. With my vassals (including Brittany) sieging Bourgogne, Nevers and Charolais, I see no reason to stick around. After getting rid of a massive Provence rebel army of 10,000 strong that left Maine and set up shop in Bourbonnais, I send the army to Breda.

VcgCboP.png

With overwhelming odds stacked in my favour, the battle is a slaughter.

2HFrHj5.png

To my own surprise, the Burgundians flee only as far south as Anjou. 15,000 men die, almost by accident (my army ran into them by surprise, really).

Time to start carpet sieging Burgundy and her allies.

Pxbb0HW.png

Alsace begs for mercy and I let them off easy. I have no wish to antagonize the HRE. Yet.

W0i0Dbr.png

June 1487. A peace deal is made. In retrospect, I realise that I screwed that one up. I should have gotten them to give Antwerp and Artois to Flanders, instead of taking them myself and giving them to my vassal afterwards. That would have saved me about 30 AE. As it is, I get -6 from Aggressive Expansion as far east as Muscovy. Not very smart if I ever want to get them to like me, I guess. Heck, even my own vassals now have a -3 AE against me. Joy all around.

j5s3XqH.png

To close this chapter on a more positive note, I present you a look at France and her vassals. From the Pyrrennees all the way to Antwerp and from Brest to the Alps, almost all of it under my rule. Not nearly enough to my liking, but we’re getting there.

See you next time.

The pu of castille over aragon can also be cancelled before they integrate them (war -> cancel vassal). Though you could also wait for them to integrate. If that happens, I would reccomend taken a single province and then return cores in later wars...

But given that you've accrued a lot of (unnecesary) ea by taking those flemish province directly, that's probably going to take a while :rofl:

Also, is there any particular reason why you keep your amry in one huge stack at paris? I don't think it can go outside of that province without attrition, and constantly splitting that army whenever it's actually needed to do something isn't entirely ideal I think...

The pu of castille over aragon can also be cancelled before they integrate them (war -> cancel vassal). Though you could also wait for them to integrate. If that happens, I would reccomend taken a single province and then return cores in later wars...

But given that you've accrued a lot of (unnecesary) ea by taking those flemish province directly, that's probably going to take a while :rofl:

Also, is there any particular reason why you keep your amry in one huge stack at paris? I don't think it can go outside of that province without attrition, and constantly splitting that army whenever it's actually needed to do something isn't entirely ideal I think...

I do usually split it 4 ways evenly to cover north, south, west and east France with 1 smaller stack. However, after a war, with all those 2K-stacks everywhere, Paris is the perfect location to get everyone together without suffering undue attrition. The reason why they are still there in that last shot is because I was waiting for reinforcements to finish.

I do usually split it 4 ways evenly to cover north, south, west and east France with 1 smaller stack. However, after a war, with all those 2K-stacks everywhere, Paris is the perfect location to get everyone together without suffering undue attrition. The reason why they are still there in that last shot is because I was waiting for reinforcements to finish.

You could split the stack before the army is fully reinforced though. Just count the number of regiments and the end result will be the same. Except that you'll have your armies back in place faster...

You could split the stack before the army is fully reinforced though. Just count the number of regiments and the end result will be the same. Except that you'll have your armies back in place faster...

Good suggestions. I'll try to remember that. Thanks.

Good consolidation on the home front, you are going to need a tidy, strong homeland to fight the Austro-Polish monster and/or Spain eventually.

I know. The main concern is the unnecessary AE. Last thing I need right now is either of them joining what's left of Burgundy's coalition. It could be worse, though. At least they didn't vote Poland in as HRE. That would be...less than ideal.

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 8: War Of Cambray.

i0pavn7.png

17 January 1489. Bourbonnais and Auvergne are finally integrated, and I begin improving relations with Foix and Armagnac, who are next on the list.

UqXlNN5.png

Now those are words I use for France: glorious élan! I don’t think I will need the prestige bonus, but 20% morale bonus and 20% faster morale recovery are always more than welcome. Vive la France!

7E6Cd2i.png

Now here is something you don’t see every day. Milan is gone, annexed by the pope. No Sforza for you, I guess. Then again, in this timeline, there is a cardinal called Sforza in the Holy See. I guess he had a change in carreer options.

tOXZ2po.png

Damn it, Hungary! Why do you always have to bite off more than you can chew? I don’t want to go to war against Muscovy! France will need their armies against Poland some day. After quite an internal debate, I decide not to answer the call to arms. For one thing, I can’t even get there!
I might as well end the royal marriage as well, seeing as how I’m pissing Hungary off anyway. At least that brings me back down under my diplomatic cap of 6.

IDUEy2c.png

Talking about diplomacy, a Castillian defeat against the Ottomans saw them lose Galicia. Their loss is my gain. RM, alliance, 25 ducats, some improved relations and voila: one new vassal to use against future Spain. With a bit of luck, I will someday be able to feed both Galicia and Aragon, after the latter has been integrated.

o0dbVYO.png

I know. I shouldn’t do this. I should let my AE bleed off before going to war again. However, Aachen has already stolen Rethel. Gelre almost got their hands on Cambray. I have to do something, before it’s all gone.

C17wCKk.png

The land war is pretty straight forward. Some running around, swinging heavy objects made of metal around, followed by a lot of sitting around and waiting for sieges to finish. This, however, is unique so far: the first actual French naval victory. The Hansa (allied with Burgundy) is a Trade Republic, isn’t she? At least now, they will have plenty of room for more trade ships. So, in reality, I am doing them a favor.

H2C85kF.png

After 18 months, Burgundy gives in. Provence is mine at last (queu evil supervillain laugh)!

MmTk4Cq.png

The fact that England and Lorraine enter the coalition is a price I am more than willing to pay. In other news, England is busy hammering away at the Scots again. I don’t have a screenshot, but at some point they DoW Scotland with a “subjugation” CB. Only a matter of time before they turn into Great Britain now.

9yZlj2v.png

Early February 1499. Armagnac and Foix are a sweet memory of the past. With all those new provinces, France’s Land Limit shoots up to 59. And I still have a bunch more to go, like annexing Brittany, while improving relations with Flanders, who seem to have no appetite for claim fabrications, and Provence. I enter an alliance and RM with Hainaut, hoping to have a large enough tax base after all 3 of them are annexed to vassalise Hainaut.

4XunYLb.png

25 June in the year of our Lord 1500. The 16th century begins with a doozy…

I'm suprised that you've been able to help the hansa :D

About Flanders not wanting to fab claims, isn't that something that no vassal is willing to do? At least, I've never seen them do it...
If so, I think your plan of feeding Galicia went down the drain (it's still a good way to get a bit closer to america though, if you intend to colonise. And more importantly: spain has one province less(yay!))

I'm suprised that you've been able to help the hansa :D

About Flanders not wanting to fab claims, isn't that something that no vassal is willing to do? At least, I've never seen them do it...
If so, I think your plan of feeding Galicia went down the drain (it's still a good way to get a bit closer to america though, if you intend to colonise. And more importantly: spain has one province less(yay!))

The Hansa got careless. they had 10 Light ships keeping my 5 Light Ships under anchor in Caen. I had almost an equal number of heavies and the rest of my Light Ships. If they had reinforced, the outcome would have been very different. I am as surprised as you are, but I'm not complaining. It's about time those big rigs paid their wages.

re: claims. I must have been wrong, then. I was sure they would. Or maybe they would be willing to accept provinces with the same culture? Galicia is not a complete waste, however. They do have a claim (might be a core, I'm not sure) on Porto.

The Hansa got careless. they had 10 Light ships keeping my 5 Light Ships under anchor in Caen. I had almost an equal number of heavies and the rest of my Light Ships. If they had reinforced, the outcome would have been very different. I am as surprised as you are, but I'm not complaining. It's about time those big rigs paid their wages.

re: claims. I must have been wrong, then. I was sure they would. Or maybe they would be willing to accept provinces with the same culture? Galicia is not a complete waste, however. They do have a claim (might be a core, I'm not sure) on Porto.

That must be claim (At least, I don't think they can take porto :D). But I think the requirements are either they owned the province sometime in the game, they have a claim or core on it, or you have a core on it(in the last case they get an immediate core).

That must be claim (At least, I don't think they can take porto :D). But I think the requirements are either they owned the province sometime in the game, they have a claim or core on it, or you have a core on it(in the last case they get an immediate core).

thank you for that info. Good to know.
At this point I think you should give up the pretence and admit you are after a world conquest ;)

ah, shucks. How did you guess? :rofl:
seriously, I can't keep this up. In 50 years France will be either the size of the HRE or it will be a OPM. The simple truth is that I usually lack a killer instinct in EU 4, so lately I have been overcompensating a bit. (you should have seen my Brandenburg before the rest of Europe really got mad :eek:hmy:)

seriously, I can't keep this up. In 50 years France will be either the size of the HRE or it will be a OPM. The simple truth is that I usually lack a killer instinct in EU 4, so lately I have been overcompensating a bit. (you should have seen my Brandenburg before the rest of Europe really got mad :eek:hmy:)

I'm not certain wheter to hope for the hre or the opm. opm france would be very comical :)

I'm not certain wheter to hope for the hre or the opm. opm france would be very comical :)

Would definitely make for a very different ending :laugh:

And it can go very fast: first Brandenburg was massacred by Russia. Before I could rebuild, Austria's coalition against me DoWed me. 2 Wars, lost everything west of the Elbe river and everything east of Potsdam. Then Denmark declared (as in Scandinavia united) and I quit :eek:o

Would definitely make for a very different ending :laugh:

And it can go very fast: first Brandenburg was massacred by Russia. Before I could rebuild, Austria's coalition against me DoWed me. 2 Wars, lost everything west of the Elbe river and everything east of Potsdam. Then Denmark declared (as in Scandinavia united) and I quit :eek:o

What did you do to get that kind of coalition against you?! :confused:

Subscribed, french AAR:s are rare on these forums even though it is a interesting nation to play.

Last edited:
What did you do to get that kind of coalition against you?! :confused:

Russia was allied with the Hansa (who was my actual target) and I stupidly didn't think they could get to me. Austria was a different matter. It's what you get when you gobble up too many of your small neighbours too quickly. Denmark DoWed me for Hinterpommern or Vorpommern or something like it. The AI is real good about knowing when to kick a downed man :)

Subscribed, french AAR:s are rare on these forums even though it is a interesting nation to play.

Welcome, loup99. I am surprised there were so few. I guess the BBB has some bad PR, maybe, because in the HOI 3 forum, you can't walk 2 AARs without stumbling over a German one. I like the fact that a careful player can get very powerful very fast, but they are not invulnerable. I still have nightmares from EU III. DoW 1 tiny little neighbour in the HRE, and alliance cascades suddenly see you engulfed by the full fury of the entire HRE.

I was playing just now and I have 2 questions.

1) I noticed that Poland would accept an alliance with France. They have Austria and Lithuania in PU, and are allied with Sweden, Genoa and Bohemia. An alliance with them would free me from having to worry about the eastern borders, but do you guys think it would be wise to do so? according to the ledger, if they assemble all their armies they can muster about 150K men. My force limit is 74 K.

2) My naval force limit was 30. However, it has gone down to 28, without me losing any provinces. Is that tied to trade power or something? What's going on?