• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was thinking along the same lines. Only question: How to go about it? One final little problem: I free Austria, and they end up rivaling me. As I write this, I am thinking to let someone win, then DoW the winner and break Austria up into its composite parts. Should take a couple of wars. And if I am careful not to take anything in the treaty, that should keep AE to a minimum.

Or am I talking crazy?

You can cancel PU's now in the new patch, so break up Austria, then destroy the PU.

That's quite the coalition. And that succession war is likely to shake things up.

You can cancel PU's now in the new patch, so break up Austria, then destroy the PU.

Let me get this straight. I go to war against the winner of the succession war and break off Tirol and Stiria and so on. Then declare one final war to destroy the PU? But by that point the overlord should have such lousy Prestige that Austria will be tempted to go independent on their own?

That's quite the coalition. And that succession war is likely to shake things up.

That's the other problem. If I get involved, I will need to make sure the coalition doesn't take advantage of the confusion.

That looks like a messy, scary war. Luckily you are at a safe distance so you can potentially intervene where it hurts and retreat when needed. Time to make some friends in northern Italy?

Milan is out of the coalition. Switzerland was never in it (not exactly Italy but close enough). Beyond those two, I haven't checked. Venice might still be allied to Provence. Pretty sure they rivaled me at some point.

Here is the info about the nations surrounding the combat zone: Milan is allied to Hungary, Aragon and Urbino. they have a negative opinion of me, but not unsurmountable.
Venice is allied to Genoa and Tuscany. Genoa is in the coalition, but unlikely to be warleader.
Bavaria's only allies are Alsace and Saxony. Relation towards me: -14
Bohemia: no allies, PU with Württemberg. Relation -19
Switzerland is a total loss: unlawful territory, claims, CB, AE. Best I can get out of them is military access, so at least I could get to Austria.
Speaking of Austria, they are not interested in me supporting their independence. Relation to overlord Poland +98, vassal attitude.

The rest of them, Modena and such more, are too small to be of any use except maybe to unload transports. Which I have sunk. oops :eek:o

oh, and Bavaria is HRE.

You'll be happy to know that I have played some more and I think I have enough material for 2 updates. I'm hoping to get the first one to you sometime later today, if not tomorrow evening.

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 5: The Austrian Succession War.

After some debate, I decide that I should fully support Hungary. The reasons for this are twofold.
Hungary + Austria can be downright scary, but Poland + Lithuania (can still become Commonwealth)+Austria is a monster.
Secondly, for both roleplaying and practical reasons, I need to think about my diplomatic reputation. Enough people hate/fear France at this point, that I feel I should show them that we can be trusted to uphold our bargains.
Switzerland gives us access, and I start out easy, by sieging Tirol and Trent. This will give me a safe and defendable location to fall back to if needed.
My main army will concentrate on cleaning up Austria for now. What I will do afterwards, will depend on the situation in Hungary. I fully expect them to need some help in taking care of the massive Polish/Lithuanian army.

tablbQQ.png

After a few light skirmishes, I move to take up position in Graz. Unfortunately, the Lithuanians get there 1 day earlier, forcing me to take a river crossing penalty. I still win, but my army morale is in need of some recovery.
I spend the rest of the month in Lienz, before engaging the Austrians again.
More minor fights erupt all over Austria, mostly against Austrian forces.

sP9J8Q1.png

This event sure comes in handy. Those 162 ducats will help me stave off having to take a loan.

LpA15Xw.png

In May, the Austrians have managed to assemble a respectable force again, hiding out in Venician territory, where I can’t get to them. The moment they cross the border, however, they are toast.

U1BLVdn.png

I follow them to Linz and defeat them again. They seperate in 2 minor stacks. I give chase.

n9QHNVt.png

One is wiped out in Steiermark.

ThSLvqg.png

One month later and Austria has no more army, very little MP and a small treasury. Time to start thinking about where I want to go next. I begin by unsieging a couple of Hungarian provinces. I wish those sieges in Tirol and Trent would hurry up, so I can move on Wien itself.

qDkQsMv.png

Then, in december, England sees a golden opportunity, with my entire army engaged in Austria and Hungary.

kXovvFN.png

After some hesitation, I do the only thing that will save France. The coalition has arrayed a formidable army against me of twice my number. I can only hope England’s army will not do a mass landing.
Sorry, Hungary, but my priorities have shifted rather dramatically.

Vo5pyEM.png

I forgot to dock my trade fleets and suffer the price while my army is assembling in Bern. Let’s see what’s what first.

uvqUuWe.png

This picture clearly shows the focal point of their attack. It’s almost as if they have a plan. I can’t let them have those ports, if I want to keep England out.

yuKoy9r.png

It takes until march before my army is in a position to start working its magic. My galleys take sweet revenge for the loss of those barques earlier.

sruD8Ts.png

After a few months of carefully maneuvering my army to only engage small sieges and avoiding their bigger forces, England lands an army in Normandy. All my enemies send their main army there as well, giving us about equal numbers. Unfortunately for them, I still have the tech advantage. Time to take them down a notch or two.

Will it turn out to be the pivotal moment of the war, I wonder. Time will tell.

The burgundians have an army about the same size retreating from you, so I think that, given there are more enemies than just burgundy, the war is not decided yet. Well, that assumes there isn't a human player in control, which there is...

Just one thing: why did you peace out? yiu could've retreated and let the hungarian fend for themselves. I don't think the austro-polish-lithuanian (well, ok: not the austrians :D) guys would've chased you to france...

The burgundians have an army about the same size retreating from you, so I think that, given there are more enemies than just burgundy, the war is not decided yet. Well, that assumes there isn't a human player in control, which there is...

Just one thing: why did you peace out? yiu could've retreated and let the hungarian fend for themselves. I don't think the austro-polish-lithuanian (well, ok: not the austrians :D) guys would've chased you to france...

To be honest, I panicked just a little:eek:o

Great cliffhanger, and a great AAR, misterbean. I'm glad I stumbled onto this AAR. I haven't played EUIV much lately, but this AAR has really turned me onto the idea of getting back into the game.

Thank you for the compliment. Happy to have you along for the ride.

Interesting turn of events, nothing like an opportunistic AI to gatecrash your party... Kick them well out of France :)

Yeah, and I knew the risk was there, but did nothing to prevent it. As for the kicking, I know how it turns out. You will know as soon as I post the next chapter today or tomorrow.

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 6: English-French Punitive War.

After their defeat in the Battle Of Normandy, the English and their allies flee in all directions. I follow the meanest of the bunch, Burgundy, to wherever they are running to.

wZFklIH.png

Somehow, I manage to win 2 seperate battles on the same day. That’s a first for me.

Aragon will take care of Savoy for me, along with their partner in crime, Napels, giving me free reign to run around, killing Burgundians left, right and center.

c6VubYU.png

By November, the enemy’s forces have dwindled enough that it’s finally time to take a more offensive approach. (Hence the diplo mapmode in this and following couple of pictures; I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a spot.)
Scratch 1 Breton army. Drop off 3 siege stacks and move the rest of the guys in the general direction of northern Burgundy.

PjGBlzR.png

Sneaky little buggers, did you really think I would ever allow you to lay siege to Paris?

KrAVRQc.png

The Savoyards manage to elude the Napolitan army long enough to jump Armagnac. Unfortunately for them, I am closer than they think. Scratch another army. Who’s next?

OyaeQjT.png

Fine. Provence it is, then.

2aMyFAZ.png

And Burgundy.

RxWlmcC.png

There goes the last you’ll see of Burgundian soldiers for a while. I open the ledger and take a look at my individual enemies.

Brittany: no troops, 14870 MP. They are being sieged, so good luck getting anything going there.
Burgundy: 0 troops, 1725 MP, treasury: 22.18 ducats. No soldiers, no MP, no money for mercs. Nice!
England: 34K troops, 21176 MP. Where the heck are they? They are in no other war than this one, so why are they not coming over to party? I would love to have them now.
Genoa: 8K, 1432 MP. Hiding out in Ferrarra (I think it was).
Provence: no troops, 14775 MP, but there’s an 11,000 man strong Napoli army sieging Cuneo. Have been there for over a year now. So nice to help with the fighting. Thank you very much.
Savoy: 2,000 men, 15164 MP. Not really an issue.

I carpet siege Burgundy with the help of my vassals. The fighting should be largely over by now. My only regret is that I can’t get to Portugal (Castile won’t give me access) or England (the RN is still very much intact).

jKY04jZ.png

July 1472. Milan, Ferrarra and Urbino see an opportunity for some landgrabbing of their own, but strangely enough never show up for the party.

0jEXqXQ.png

August 1472. Military Tech level 6. The best army in the world just got better.

M12oPYQ.png

I forgot to siege Zeeland, and the Burgundians try to make a comeback. While my attention is up North, Portugal lands 11,000 men in Nice and relieve the siege. These men will later die in Languedoc.

After that I only have some minor skirmishes in Aragon. I wonder what happened in the Austrian Succession War?

O3frdUP.png

Without me, Hungary lost, of course. And look, there are the perfidious English. Landing where I can’t possibly get to them. Hungary is still in disarray after their defeat and can’t do anything to stop such a large army.

lph49Ql.png

And there is the other one.
Now what? I have everything sieged that I can reach. Aragon’s army took a left instead of a right and got smacked around by the Portugese before I could get to them and can’t help their underling either.

So frustrating. I am looking at 87% warscore and it feel like it can only go down from here. My MP is in the gutter, and my war exhaustion is on the moon. I had so wanted to make it to 100%.
***sigh***

I42lKDe.png

So here is the peace treaty. It is only small, but in the end, I did get what I wanted. Ghent and Vlaanderen will allow me to release Vlaanderen as a vassal. I could have taken Antwerpen as well, but that would have meant over 70% Overextension and a base 67.5 AE.

I can’t help but feel like I could have done more. But things are they way they are. No use looking over your shoulder at stuff you can’t change. I would like to know what you guys think.
See you next time.

Last edited:
I would say that you've done pretty well, considering the odds. Your main goal in the war was achieved...

I think it's supossed to be Breton.

Breton. Of course. Thanks :)

I just wanted to let you know that I have just spend 10 years at peace. I have cannons, the largest army in Europe and just about my full MP. Nothing worth putting to text, though.

I agree with beartjah, you did pretty well after all, your divide-and-deconquer strategy worked wonders.

I just wanted to let you know that I have just spend 10 years at peace. I have cannons, the largest army in Europe and just about my full MP. Nothing worth putting to text, though.

10 years of peace! That is shocking, you'll have to something about it... :)