• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DavidMK

Captain
56 Badges
Feb 17, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
So I created a custom nation, Kurdistan. This will be a narrative gameplay (so gameplay told from the POV of my nation) and I'll be making event decisions RPing (initially at least, things may change to reflect the geopolitics) as a expansionist but tolerant nation.

Any constructive criticism or suggestions are welcome and I hope you enjoy the ride.

Prologue

The region that gave rise to Kurdistan, an area between Persia, Mesopotamia and Anatolia, was a politically chaotic area inhabited by the Turks, Mongols and the restless populations of the peoples conquered by the aforementioned nomads.

From this chaos rose a eloquent, passionate and youthful Kurdish nobleman from Adalan named Cyrus. For over 4 years he quietly worked to unite the Kurdish tribes for the coming struggle, a task almost as hard as doing so without the Qara Qoyunlu authorities taking note. The Kurds had their chance in October of 1443 when the Turkish khan called forth the armies of his subjects in response to a Timurid invasion. Citing the harvest season and the related difficulties in mustering the levies, the Kurds were able to delay deployment of their army. By the time the Kurds (led behind the scenes by Cyrus who lacked the position to lead the army openly without suspicion) arrived at the battlefield, the Timurids had already been routed. With the enemy in sight, battered by battle and unprepared, Cyrus gave the order to attack. The Kurds smashed into the enemy army in the rear, routing them within an hour. As the khan limped away with his army, Cyrus followed and harassed them. The Timurids for their part were in no position to take advantage of the situation having been beaten themselves. After about a month, Cyrus decided he'd made his point and sent an emissary to sue for peace. His terms were thus: Recognize Kurdish independence and the Kurds would not only cease hostilities but aid in the war with the Timurids. With his army beaten, his realm cut in 1/2 and the Timurids at the border, the Turkish khan agreed. When the Timurid khan returned with a new army, he found himself faced with the allied armies of Kurdistan and Qara Qoyunlu. While the Timurids had a slight numerical advantage, the allied armies proved better led and managed to encircle the enemy. Fewer than 200 of the enemy survived, the Timurid khan among them. Decisively beaten, the Qara Qoyunlu and Timurid khans agreed to peace and the Kurds returned to a home that, after centuries of servitude, was once more their own. The leaders of the greatest Kurdish tribes gathered in the Kurdish capital and 1 by 1 declared their allegiance and proclaimed Cyrus their Shah.

RlTzPq2.png

Kurdistan in 1444.

Od3HeR8g.png

Shah Cyrus and his son and heir, Crown Prince Fezl.

iSS1liA.png

Kurdish traditions.

Last edited:
I originally had a far more detailed setup going into the political situation and past Kurdish glory but then my computer ate it (Just as I finished typing as was uploading screenshots!). I was too lazy to retype it all out but the bit about the rise of Kurdistan is more or less the same as my original post.

Early Expansion

fgoxBPX.png

As new nation surrounded by powerful rivals, Kurdistan turned to it's former slaves (though that was a relationship centuries dead) for support. The Mamluks as they were known were quick to accept the deal, Kurdistan had destabilized 1 of their greatest rivals in the region and were strategically placed to aid in any war with the growing power of the Ottoman Empire.

b0OOVPU.png

Armed with a powerful ally to discourage outside interference, Kurdistan looked to strengthen its position. It's 1st target was a weak Turkish tribe, the Dulkadir. Led by Shah Cyrus himself, the Peshmerga stormed across the border, quickly sweeping the Turks aside leaving the path to their capital open to siege.

Q530yWy.png

As the Peshmerga besieged the Turkish stronghold, many Kurdish officials began to use the war for personal profit.

jR6di5D.png

This hint of corruption did not discourage the movement of Syrian Christians migrating into Kurdish territory hoping to be free of Turkish rule. While some of the more hardline Muslims sought to resist this population shift fearing that they'd bring war or attempt to convert the faithful, the royal court (and to a lesser extent, the Kurdish people) welcomed them. With these migrants, Kurdistan would have a larger pool of recruits for the army as well as new economic opportunities.

Gcr69R7.png

The war with the Dulkadir went well and the Turks submitted to Kurdish rule. Not only did this expand the borders of Kurdistan but also filled the royal treasury with the spoils of war.

CxtCteA.png

Moving quickly to build on the momentum of victory before the other regional powers could react, the Peshmerga turned north in hopes of eventually gaining access to the Black Sea.

KRfHBc7.png

As news spread of Kurdistan's welcoming of Christian refugees, many Christian communities across Syria and Anatolia chose to uproot themselves and flee Turkish oppression in Kurdistan. Again the Muslim hardliners resisted however the Kurdish people proved more open minded and welcomed these Christians and their faith with open arms.

2mX3iIf.png

In the capital controversy flared up after the Shah's cousin (1 of 6) carelessly spoke of Kurdistan's regional ambitions to an Ottoman ambassador at court.

g9MNE2S.png

In the end this lapse in judgment didn't provoke a response and the war was successfully concluded. Again the Peshmerga returned home in glory and weighed down heavily by Turkish loot.

Vvp5KSn.png

The influx of so much wealth wasn't entirely a boon for Kurdistan. Among the merchant class, agitated by European revolutionaries, was a radical economic ideological group called the capitalists. Protesting the centralization of wealth and political power in the hands of the nobility and tribal leadership, they demanded a share of the profits gained in Kurdistan's wars.

X2EWD5l.png

Kurdistan soon found itself at odds with the Ottoman Empire after a land survey showed that previous maps had drawn the border incorrectly and that much of the land the Ottomans claimed in Anatolia was, by rights, Kurdish. Shah Cyrus, not wishing to provoke a war, rejected these findings and confirmed Ottoman dominion of the disputed lands.

ME5FmOL.png

Angered by the growing Christian presence in Kurdistan and sensing weakness after the Shah's capitulation to the Ottomans, leading social conservatives rallied the people in the capital demanding the implementation of Sharia. The city guard was quickly mobilized and the protesters were dispersed before the hotter heads among them could escalate things.

pCcpzzP.png

The following months proved peaceful in the capital and news of the Peshmerga's latest victories were met with celebration.

6AcCBKa.png

As Kurdistan grew increasingly prosperous, new innovations began to be made. The most notable example of this was a new method of irrigation that brought more water to crops while actually using less water. The resulting bumper crop led to a surge in tax revenue.

uNGErcA.png

Despite Kurdistan's unlikely rise to regional greatness, the Muslim hardliners refused to relent. In their pious rage, the Royal Library was nearly burned down. Thankfully the city guard was, after much bloodshed, able to put down the riot.

Last edited:
Regency

XDCWaHT.png

After the untimely death of Shah Cyrus, a regency council is formed to rule the nation while Shah Fezl completes his education.

rXbOlvW.png

The regency council.

vRLBg8R.png

Taking advantage of the situation, the Muslim hardliners again push for the removal of Christians from Kurdistan. This time the protesters aren't removed without bloodshed.

0mlgUTX.png

Shah Fezl at his ascension.

D9e8Tab.png

Hoping to complete his father's work, Shah Fezl leads the Peshmerga against the Kurd's former masters, the Qara Qoyunlu.

PBqGQf0.png

Crown Prince Fezl.
The war goes well as Mamluk forces conquer Iraq as part of a 2 pronged Kurdish/Mamluk invasion. Meanwhile a new heir is born.

h6yr7HH.png

The capture of Baghdad reveals evidence that Ilam is by rights the domain of a leading Kurdish noble family.

9NqVjHK.png

As the tide of war turns against Kurdistan, many Kurds began to question the fight. Using this opportunity, the capitalists agitate for reform using the threat of rebellion to blackmail Shah Fezl. This fails and normally even handed Fezl instead rounds up and executes the ringleaders.

tLrO9wv.png

The Mamluks chose to exit the conflict, taking Syria with them. While this would normally have been viewed as a betrayal, the exit occurred with the tide of war back in Kurdistan's favor and in in responce to an Ottoman invasion. The Ottoman onslaught inspires yet another wave of non-Muslim Syrians to flee to Kurdistan. This time the Christians are joined by the Jews.

uAUrNgo.png

Despite the logistical hardships of war, Fezel diligently attempts to enforce his laws across the wartorn nation.

ePrnpgf.png

Many Kurds have been negatively affected by the war. Fezel responds by ordering food delivered to the refugee camps dotting the nation.

94btsUg.png

Fezel falls in battle plunging Kurdistan into yet another regency council.

VtReMbY.png

The regency council is soon faced with a crisis as Kurdistan's supply of iron is compromised. While of minor economic concern at peace, it's a potentially crippling situation at war.

jEbLSL6.png

Despite the shortcomings of Kurdish iron, Qara Qoyunlu is still beaten to submission. While Kurdistan fails to gain all of the territory the late Fezel dreamed of winning, it does take most of it.

mvNkKn7.png

Following the war, an inventory is taken of military equipment. While the supply of iron was compromised, the heavy casualties suffered led to a surplus, mostly armor.

c7HzuLL.png

The war and resulting civil unrest has left Kurdistan in a weak position regarding civil service. The regency council agrees to increased funding for the bureaucracy so that they may better manage post-war reconstruction.

6B1JlGb.png

Again sectarian riots break out, this time not limited to the capital. Blaming spies hidden among the refugees for the heavy losses suffered in the war, they demand the immediate removal of all non-Muslims from Kurdistan. The Peshmerga are deployed to the various hot spots to put down the rioters.

FG7oxFZ.png

Wishing to improve relations, the Ottoman court invites the regency council to Istanbul to partake in Eid celebrations.

vU3F9QD.png

Seeking to speed up post-war reconstruction, the regency council finances the hiring and accommodation of leading French thinkers to advise the court on matters of science.

famGMyr.png

Unfortunately for Kurdistan, the regency council isn't above using the post-war reconstruction efforts to line their own pockets. Worse, these activities aren't secret and inspire more general dishonesty in Kurdish civil society.

Reactions:
subbed.

Great to see a new nation...er, sort of! :p

The addition of the Kurds to the ME with the Ottomans and Mamlukes (and eventually Persia possibly?) adds to a great dynamic to see how will win the empire race in the region. Best of luck.

Cheers!

Great to see a new nation...er, sort of! :p

The addition of the Kurds to the ME with the Ottomans and Mamlukes (and eventually Persia possibly?) adds to a great dynamic to see how will win the empire race in the region. Best of luck.

Cheers!

Honestly I don't think I'll go the 'Conquer everyone!' route. WCs are overdone IMO. My goal to to completely own every state I have territory in, set up an independent Iraq and Georgia (and maybe an independent Armenia) as vassals to serve as buffer states then play an economic game trying to become an economic and political powerhouse in the ME. MAYBE expanding into Africa as part of my economic strategy if I achieve my regional goals before the Europeans colonize every worthwhile thing.

Reactions:
so you go for the 500 income achievement eh.

Vengeance

E4xANoR.png

Shah Fezl at his ascension.
In late 1475, Kurdistan celebrates the accession of it's new Shah.

wTnkXU5.png

Crown Prince Fezl.
Kurdistan saw some mixed times in 1476. The newly ascended Shah Fezl was forced to personally intervene (both politically and financially) in order to prevent the collapse of the state trading company while the nation celebrated the birth of an heir.

vNKHQfQ.png

Several months later Kurdistan received more good news when several French scientists serving in the Kurdish court announced the discovery of several new biological principles. While of no immediate use, they made it clear that their discoveries would allow for better breeding practices at Kurdish ranches and farms.

PGYYmIU.png

In an attempt to improve relations with Kurdistan, the Timurid Khan invited Fezl to join him in Eid celebrations.

CbiNyYC.png

In responce to Fezl suddenly falling ill, several noble families step in to fulfil his stately functions while he recovers. Fears that they plotted to usurp his authority were put to rest 2 weeks later when Fezl resumed his duties in full.

HL8VOe1.png

Once again, hardliners within the Clergy attempt to incite a riot in the Christian quarter of the capital. Fortunately the city guard are able to disperse the crowd without having to kill anybody. In an attempt to put an end to the sectarian violence, Fezl orders the arrest of the troublemaking clarics.

2CUK7ed.png

The Kurdish public was shocked to learn that several minor noble houses and tribal leaders had plotted with Georgian capitalists to undermine the social order by bribing the court in return for political favors, including a higher position within the nobility. Fortunately the court rejected the bribes and instead arrested and exposed the perpetrators. Fezl issued a statement soon afterwards stressing the importance in maintaining the social order imposed by the nobility and calling on up and coming nobles to set an example by achieving high position by merit.

NjO74qf.png

Fezl's statement rallied the established nobility and they petitioned the restoration of privileges curtailed during Turkish rule. Fezl agreed and taking his cue, ordered an invasion of their former overlord's lands.

juJvYT5.png

Taking advantage of the Peshmerga's distraction, hardliner Muslims again took to the streets. This time blood was spilled dispersing them and the imprisoned clerics were executed as an example.

6NSn4Zo.png

As the Peshmerga pushed deeper into enemy territory, Turkish raids on trade caravans saw a sharp decline. Fezl responded by deploying his tax collectors to establish a stronger presence along the Silk Road.

5PnwqNR.png

As Kurdistan's standing in the world continued to improve, more European scientists took up residence at the Kurdish court.

aUHjwrI.png

Unfortunately for Kurdistan, the war leaves little time for the arts. After 4 years of war, the cultural toll has become apparent.

ZwdHeH7.png

With the new conquests come new administrative problems. Taxes to be collected in places that have no bureaucratic presence, non-Kurds unaccustomed to Kurdish law and local governments poorly coordinated with the Shah's government. Fezl orders a commission sent to the newly conquered areas to assess and propose solutions to the situation.

xzP4uIM.png

As the French scientist's discoveries of 1476 began to bear results, Kurdistan begins to see an increase in tax revenue coming from the agricultural sector.

Honestly I don't think I'll go the 'Conquer everyone!' route. WCs are overdone IMO. My goal to to completely own every state I have territory in, set up an independent Iraq and Georgia (and maybe an independent Armenia) as vassals to serve as buffer states then play an economic game trying to become an economic and political powerhouse in the ME. MAYBE expanding into Africa as part of my economic strategy if I achieve my regional goals before the Europeans colonize every worthwhile thing.

I agree. I find "handicapped" games where I set goals and limits to be much more enjoyable. It'll just be neat to see how the dynamics play out now that you're in the middle of the two great historical powers in the region. Plus you're still positioned to achieve anything you want...

Cheers!

That s Awesome as a Kurd I am gonna get this mod and Kurd s have some Empires Like (Mittani-Goti-Media) but i prefer Media becose iis more populer and it was the aryan marging peaple in middle east kurdistan to afghanistan and media empire created by( Dyako ) in the game fars and other aryan countries can form persia but kurds have its own empire to form so i well be thankful if added it u can ask me about the empire if u are not sure :D