• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10971)

Alien Space Bat
Sep 9, 2002
Scenario: IGC 1520
Difficulty: Normal
Aggressiveness: Normal

This is the first time I've played EU1 in over two years. Kind of nice to be back, actually.

----------

King Christian stood by lofty mast
In mist and smoke;
His sword was hammering so fast,
Through Gothic helm and brain it passed...

16 January 1520, near Schleswig

IT HAD BEEN sixteen days on the march from Vejle, sixteen days in the snow and wind and unusual cold. Erik, a halberdier in the Danish army, was glad to be in warm quarters again.

Nearby was Peer, a bulky Norwegian whose skill with a halberd was unparalleled. "Ay, a lovely walk through the countryside..."

"If I weren't afraid of you, Peer, I'd give you a whack on the head for that." Peer turned to the wiry Johan and flexed his muscles. Johan shook his head and pulled out an apple.

"Careful there, Johan, eat too much and you might get fat," Erik chuckled, but he then turned serious. "I wouldn't mind the march so much if I knew why we are here."

Frederik, as heavy as Peer but not as strong, snorted, "Hanseatic League. It all boils down to the trade in Mecklenburg."

Johan looked up. "Boils? That reminds me. I'd better see what the cook's making tonight."

As Johan rushed out of the room, Erik said, "That kid is always focused on food. It's strange how thin he is."

"Some people are like that," Frederik said. "I don't eat too much, but look at me."

They sat in silence for a while, until Johan rushed back and told them the food was ready. While not as enthusiastic as Johan, the rest were still rather hungry from the march, and only too happy to eat.

1 February, the border with the Hanseatic League

Christian II, King of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, arrayed in armor head to foot, drew his sword and thrust it into the ground.

"The first wound to Hanseatic soil has been made. Now we must wound the men as well! Forward, and never shall we touch Danish soil until the Hanseatic League is conquered!"

The men nearby cheered and began the march southeast, towards Lübeck. Christian, at the head of the army, conversed with his subordinates. First was the rather aloof and obviously unenthusiastic Gustav Wasa, an important Swedish noble.

"What is your plan for the battle, your majesty?"

"We have about twenty-five thousand, well-mixed, while I believe they have about ten thousand heavily weighted to infantry. We don't need much of a plan... but I see your point. They are defending and know the terrain well. I intend to hold back reserves of about twelve thousand--under your command, Gustav--to react to whatever we need them to."

"Other than that?"

"We'll see when we find out what the terrain is like. We are discussing this a bit early. Rantzau?"

The young noble Johan Rantzau came up to Christian. "Yes, your majesty?"

"Take five hundred cavalry forward and scout the terrain. Be especially sure to find where the enemy army is."

"Won't they know we're coming then?"

"Chances are they know we're coming anyway. It's difficult to hide an army this size!"

Rantzau bowed in his saddle and rode off, while Christian and the rest continued to lead their army deeper into Hanseatic territory.

---------

1 February, Evening

Erik slumped onto the ground. Beside him Johan was asleep, leaning his head on his halberd. It slipped suddenly (barely missing Peer) and left Johan on the floor, still asleep. Peer had barely managed to fit his huge frame into the relatively small space he had to sleep in. Frederik was outside relieving himself. When he came back in he noticed the oddly-positioned Johan and barely contained a smile.

"Well," said Frederik, "I told you it was the Hansa. King Christian wants to control the trade through Lübeck."

Erik opened an eye. "We're trying to sleep. Some of us are having more luck than others." As he said that, Peer began to snore.

"I don't feel tired."

"Then go outside and take a watch or something. We need the rest, for the march and later the battle."

Frederik quickly turned and went back out, while Erik tried his best to sleep.

I played a game once when I turned on the Union, thinking it would break apart. I was seriously mistaken. :eek:o

Good to see a new AAR. I haven't seen too many Danish ones so it will be quite interesting to see what path you take though it looks like south in the HRE. I look forward this, keep at it. :)

Cool a new AAR, been a very long time since anyone played with Denmark, so this is going to be interesting. You already got a nice start up here:)

Zach: Actually, no. I'm referring to him as that until Sweeden breaks vassalage. Then I might still refer to him as that, and the Swedes as rebels. ;)

Brae: The Hanseatic League was just asking for it, being so close and weak. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing from here, though... I usually don't have much of a plan.

E: Thank you.

I'll try to get an update sometime this afternoon (Eastern U.S. time).

15 February, near Lübeck

Erik, Johan, Peer, and Frederik marched along with the rest of the halberdiers through the Mecklenburg countryside.

"Do you think we'll fight today?" Johan asked.

Erik shrugged. Peer said, "I hope so!"

But Frederik knew the most. "There's a ten-thousand man army in the area. Rantzau's division--that's us--will attack to the left, the King's on the right. Gustav Vasa will wait in reserve."

Johan, with a puzzled expression, asked, "How is it you always know so much, Frederik?"

"I have my contacts. This battle should be a pushover, though."

Suddenly, an officer shouted, "Get into battle formation! Double march forward!" Arquebusiers ran forward to fire a volley while arrows flew overhead. The four soon got a look at the Hanseatic army, then ran forward.

--------

King Christian pulled out a glass and looked to the left. "Rantzau's division is doing well. The Hanseatic army is starting to weaken there." He turned to a messenger. "Go tell Vasa to come here with four thousand cavalry. We're going to strike a blow they'll never recover from."

About fifteen minutes later Gustav came with the cavalry. "Gustav, swing around and hit their right flank while we attack the front." The Swede bowed and rode off, his cavalry following. Christian looked through the glass again. "Very good. They're starting to break on the left. Now we go forward!" Christian gave a shout, and seven thousand men advanced to the enemy.

The battle was quick after that. Almost as soon as his division struck the Hanseatic army began to run. Five thousand made it into Lübeck, and the rest of the army was captured or killed, or scattered to the winds with no hope of recovery.

----------

Night was falling Erik and the rest were leaning on their halberds and looking towards Lübeck. "We'll have the city by the new year,"* he said.

[*25 March.]

Peer laughed. "No, by the end of the month!"

Frederik shook his head. "I'm with Erik on this one. What do you say, Johan?"

"I agree."

"Well," said Peer, "I hope we attack soon, I don't want the blood on my halberd to dry too much!"

Nie start, and good to see another returning to the mother game...

[Morpheus: Yes, it's a whole different experience from EU2, and just as good.
LB: I think I will--right now!]

25 March--Inside Lübeck

Erik dropped his halberd in exhaustion and fell to the ground. Johan and Frederik joined him, while Peer towered over them, leaning on his halberd.

"Well," said Erik, "That was an interesting battle."

Peer gave a huge laugh. "Most fun I've had in five years!"

Johan shook his head. "I just cannot understand how you Norwegians can find this sort of thing fun. Yes, it's nice that we just took a city, but I'm exhausted, covered in blood--some of it my own--and I'm lucky to be talking to you three. Now, if you can explain to me how that is fun, then I will admit my ignorance. Until then, I will be sitting here praying to God that he allows me to survive the next battle."

Peer just blinked. Frederik, chuckling, said, "Johan, you know Peer can't understand words like that."

"Oh, I can understand what he's saying. What I can't understand... you don't enjoy the rush of battle? The smell of smoke and blood? The sounds of--"

"PEER!" Erik yelled. "Stop it, you're scaring me. And the rest of us, as well."

Peer laughed again. "If you can't take it, little Erik, then why did you join?"

"Oh, I can take it. I just don't take pleasure out of it like you do. I joined because my father wanted me to."

"I joined," Johan said, "because it was either that or starve."

"Yes," Frederik chuckled, "you certainly don't have any problem with that now! As for me, my uncle is a petty nobleman and he said he could give me an officer's commission. Judging by my present circumstances, he didn't succeed."

Erik pushed himself up by his halberd. "I think we should find our commander. I hate the time after a battle, so much confusion whether you win or lose." The others stood up and followed Erik through the city streets.

Red? Wouldn't it be brown? ;)

Yoghurt said:
I guess it wont take long until The Baltic is all red eh!? :D

I hope not! That means the Poles would be expanding rapidly, which is a very, very, VERY bad thing for me. :eek:

As for conquering the whole Baltic, let's face it--I'm not a good player by any means. The Hanseatic League was even a bit of a strain...

Well even if your play is as poor as you say (which I doubt) you make up for it with your excellent writing. Keep at it though and I am sure the Baltic will eventually become a Danish lake. :)

Yeah a red Baltic is all kinds of bad in EU1. All fear the big red blob of Poland-Lithuania! :eek:

Could be England, too. Still to be feared, though :D

[Braedonnal: I still doubt I'll take the whole Baltic.
Morpheus: Especially if they're in a position to get into the Baltic.]

18 April--Outside Bremen

"Et factum est verbum Domini ad Ionam, filium Amathi dicens: Surge, et vade in Niniven, civitatem grandem, et praedica in ea,"

"Oh, Frederik, we can't leave you alone for one second, can we?"

Frederik closed the book in front of him. "What's wrong with reading, Johan?"

"Several things. First, where did you learn to read? Second, where did you learn Latin? Third, where in God and the King of Denmark's name did you get a Bible?"

"All three from that uncle I mentioned."

"What is his name?"

Before Frederik could answer, Johan Rantzau arrived in camp. Although he tried to make as little out of it as possible, he couldn't help but be noticed by the men in camp. But he was on a mission, and he ignored them and went directly to Erik and the other three, who bowed.

"News has reached me of your strength and bravery in the assault on Lübeck."

Frederik looked up. "You'll want Peer. He's the burly Norwegian over there."

Rantzau shook his head. "Not just him. All of you. First, Erik?"

Erik bowed again. "Milord?"

"You shall be the captain of one hundred halberdiers."

"Thank you, milord!"

"As will you, Johan, Peer."

Peer hugged Johan, but had to stop when Peer complained he could feel his ribs nearly breaking.

"As for you, Frederik, you will be their commander."

Peer and Johan stood amazed. Erik merely whispered, "At least he got the commission he wanted"

"You shall report for your new duty tomorrow.," Rantzau continued. "My aide will tell you what you need to know. Goodbye, captains." Rantzau turned to Frederik. "And you as well, my kinsman."

Now all three were surprised. "You're related to Johan Rantzau?" they all three shouted once Rantzau was too far away to hear them.

"Yes. A little distant, but it's there. My uncle is... his father's cousin. Or something like that."

Johan knelt. "Milord!"

Frederik merely laughed. "Don't worry about that. Though you still should remember that I'll be your commander starting tomorrow."

Erik nodded, and said "Yes, sir!" prompting Frederik to laugh again.

Last edited:
6 July--Bremen

The Danish army had waited outside Bremen for a month while reinforcements made their way from Denmark. Now that they had arrived, King Christian was conferring with his lieutenants as to the best way to attack the city.

"Your majesty," said Gustav Vasa, "I say we should starve them out. We can afford to wait, and we shouldn't waste lives on an assault."

Rantzau shook his head. "The sooner Bremen falls and the Hanseatic League is destroyed the better. A quick attack and we will take the League's leaders. Once they are captured, we can disband the league and take control of Mecklenburg's trade for ourselves."

"How many of our lives is Mecklenburg worth?"

"We've already spent many. We should be prepared to spend them again."

"You are a butcher!"

"Are you prepared to back your insult with your sword?"

"Where and when?"

"ENOUGH!" Christian shouted. "I forbid any duel, we can not afford to have either one of you killed!"

The two sat down. Vasa eyed Rantzau almost murderously, while Rantzau ignored the Swede.

"I have decided," Christian said with a sigh, "to take Rantzau's advice."

Vasa scowled while Rantzau allowed a smug look across his face.

----------

The next day, the halberdiers of Rantzau's division were preparing for the assault. Danish cannon boomed, and Bremen's walls began to take damage. Finally, around noon, a section in front of Rantzau collapsed.

"Form up!" Erik shouted. "Wait for the signal to advance!"

Frederik looked to his left. Another cannon fired, and the section in front of King Christian's division was growing very weak. Frederik signaled to his captains, and the halberdiers moved forward.

Cannon blasts and musket fire kept the defenders busy while the halberdiers rushed into the gap, accompanied by the rest of the infantry. Johan led his men up one of the streets.

"Keep together! Don't tire yourselves out too much!" He took a bite from an apple, then heard a cheer to his right--Peer's men were making good progress, as the burly Norwegian made quite an inspiring and daring leader. Johan had more important things to pay attention to, though, as a stubborn group of Hanseatic men blocked the street ahead.

"Arquebusiers!" Another captain's men were accompanying him. They fired a volley into the enemy, who ran as soon as Johan's men charged.

The battle was about over. Bremen was conquered, and the Hanseatic league was officially disbanded two days after.

Poor trading peoples. Why must everyone near northern Germany crush them first! :eek:

I hope you plan to continue this, it has been very enjoyable so far. :D