• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

azatol

First Lieutenant
11 Badges
Sep 12, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
An Alternate history?...world?...universe.

Introduction / Concept

This AAR is based on a changed reality that will mostly be reflected through the way I describe events, not through a mod (although I would like to do a mod for this once I learn how).

First of all, this is a world in which magic is afoot, of four different schools. To avoid giving too much away I'll just show you how I translated some game elements into story.

Motivation for the way I translated elements of the game into this system, as well as the idea of Gentlemanly and ungentlemanly magic is taken partially from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which is set in an England hard to place in time (it seems to be Victorian but other elements seem older). Nonetheless its notions are added to and changed to support the Crusader Kings time period and the bizarre magocratic structure of my story.

Story Substitutions:

Catholic Religion becomes Aethereal School of Magic
Orthodox Religion becomes Frost School of Magic
Pagan Religion becomes Spirit School of Magic
Muslim Religion becomes Thunder School of Magic

Knights become Knight-Mages.
Light Cavalry remains the same.
Horse Archers become Horsecasters.
Archers become Foot mages.
Heavy Infantry remains the same.
Light Infantry remains the same.
Pikemen remains the same.

Pope becomes Archmage
Other religious titles remain somewhat similar, such as Deacon Mage or Diocesan Mage, etc.

(I may come up with some better names to reduce the repitition of the word mage.)

Churches become Towers
Crusades are still Crusades.

Most other events, buildings, etc are transformed for the purposes of the story, except those relating to strictly personal things.

I plan on posting the first chapter within the next few days at the latest. The fun will be how to make the history seem as different as possible while structurally it remains the same as the regular Crusader Kings. I want to do some research into Bavaria before I go too crazy, even though its an alternate universe, it may be handy.

I didn't pick Bavaria for any big reason, except I'm rather new to Crusader Kings and I felt a kingdom would overwhelm me and I had no chance with a County, so I went for a Duchy. Luxembourgh was my favorite from EU2, but being a county I didn't go for that. Bavaria later becomes schismatic in EU2, so it might interesting to talk about the magical schisms of Bavaria, in my story or things leading up to them.

Last edited:
This looks promising. I'm just interested in seeing how the modding works out.

BTW, if you're going to play Bavaria, annex Venice as soon as you get Bavaria on it's feet. It's easy to take, and once you take it you're your own independent kingdom. ;) I did that once, then moved down into Croatia, Italy, and even Byzantine, giving myself a nice little land-base.

1066-1067: Knights-Magister and the Family of Nordheim

October 1066 - March 1067:
Knights-Magister and the Family of Nordheim

In order to put my affairs in order, to prepare for what the future may bring, I took a hard look at the state of Bavaria. I have long believed great focus must be given to the knights-magister such that they may be well armed and armored, well trained and loyal, and well rewarded.

While some lords may place their trust in peasants (although I do not know any), some may trust the foot mages, and some the pikemen, even indeed some many trust unarmored and nonmagical light horsemen for their duties. However the spirit of Aethereal Magic cries out for the mounted magister knight who may rely on his aethereal lances and excellent defensive gear while having greater mobility than any but the light horsemen. In addition, those properly trained and borne have a greater understanding of the methods of proper war, and when led well, will not slip into the use of heretical magics.

To the southeast the Byzantine Empire makes use of the School of Frost magic, which was brought to their court by Russians, who if accounts are correct, learned it in turn from natives in the coldest areas of their country. Frost magisters do not have the mighty lances, and the wicked power of their school to turn their enemies shivering bitterly is heartless. Nonethless, the greater threats mean that the Archmage Alexander II has not declared these peoples to be anathema just yet. I suppose it is the glory of the classical times that keeps Byzantium safe for now.

Yet the Frost school is as gentle as a wisp in comparison to the violent and deadly barbaric Thunder and Spirit schools of magic, which are taken up by those in distant lands, yet they spread their influence even as we do so ourselves.

But I digress, the great importance of our magisters led me to give greater support to the nobles and knights, on such conditions that they consider the raising and training of these forces for the future to be of vital importance. One does not learn to summon the gleaming lance in a day, week or even year.

As early as October of '66 I conferred with the scholars of my Ducal library, where they were engaged in work on new kinds of weaponry.

"My lord, we are learning how to enchant weapons so as to give greater crushing blows," the head scholar said to me, whose name I have forgotten.

"It is not crushing blows a mounted magister seeks, but piercing ones, nonetheless, I would like to see improvements in the armor of our magisters. Protection from weaponry as well as spellcraft, if it can be done," I said, considering crushing blows to be the speciality of those unlearned in magic, not a worthy subject.

There is to be a tournament in Nassau sponsored by the Emperor in July, I have thought about taking Heinrich with me to see.

(There is a splotch of ink at the entry of the sentence, and then the entry ends.)

"My lord, supper is ready," said one of the servants and Otto left his pen and journal behind in the study.

It was a stew being prepared and as he sat down at the table he noticed Guelph had arrived. Guelph was a noble who had settled at Otto's court, and had some experience with the military.

Richenza sat down and said, "Guelph has arrived, well you know that already. He was here about half an hour ago, but you seemed busy so he decided to wait."

"Well I am focussed on ensuring we have a quality force of well trained magisters for the Emperor when they may be needed. Also, I had to attend to an envelope from the Count of Valaise, he wished my approval to marry Ms. Ortenburg."

His wife responded, "Agnes, ah well I hope she finds Valaise well. May a blanket of aether protect her, give her comfort and aid her husband."

"That is a good thing to toast I think, my lady," Guelph responded.

Ethilinde, the eldest and only daughter, was eleven years old at the time, and a fixture in the court of Nordheim. She seemed to absorb all the actions and ethos of the court, which had been rather quiet at the time.

"Lady Agnes told about Sir Bouchard before, how he lived far away from here. How far is it?" Ethilinde said.

"It isn't so far, Ethilinde, it is part of the Empire still," Otto said.

Suddenly there was a commotion at the table, from where Heinrich was sitting, suddenly a wisp began floating in the air above the table. Wisps were lightweigh almost ghostly things that could serve various purposes in magic, but were also an easy cantrip for young magi.

Almost as quickly as it appeared it was gone as Guelph stood up and dispelled it.

Guelph spoke, "I spoke with Heinrich's tutor yesterday, as you asked me to find out his progress in training. He cast his first successful magic two days ago, that very cantrip you just saw. He still needs work on his physicals, but it is rare to see such results at his age."

"Wisp Cantrip...well not my first spell, and not my first choice for a strong son, but excellent anyway. Just...son, no casting at supper time, ok? Its one of the rules!"

"Yes father, I promise."

"My teacher says no casting when eating," said Kuno, the second son, who was only four years old. Kuno was to be trained under the diocese mage, to receive formal education in the rules and religion of Aethereal magic. As yet one had not been appointed following the death of the previous, but for now he was being trained by a deacon mage who had served under the previous representative.

Then the servants came out and cleared the plates as they sat and talked some more.

Last edited:
I just watched the new DVD of "Fire and Ice," so I'm ready for this. :cool:

Henry v. Keiper

Is Fire and Ice any good? You might see some ice in this story but not much fire. As far as conquering Venice, I'm taking things slowly for now, getting used to the game still, but I may consider it or something else. Best would be if the emperor declares war on someone.

The next section gets a bit more action with the Tournament where I can show off the magical knighted combat. My idea of Aethereal magic for this story is it is primarily used by the Europeans for enchanting and summoning items. Lances, swords, armor sets especially. Of course there are more direct spells used by the foot mages and in case a magister is dehorsed.

My new naming idea to make things less cumbersome is Knight Mages will be called Magisters and Foot mages just Mages. I'm still trying to work out how to handle the religion bureaucracy and just exactly what kind of things go on with a religious education in my alternate reality.

1067: The Tournament at Nassau

1067: The Tournament at Nassau

"I must admit, I underestimated your husband's prowess in battle. Dukes and Kings have to learn to be excellent leaders in battle, but they do not often face enemies themselves. It is easy to lose some of your prowess when you have to worry about ruling."

"Are you hurt sir?" Richenza asked. Heinrich was there, but the other siblings stayed home and Guelph attended to any pressing affairs.

"The last flash hurt, for sure, but they patched me up, and my armor did some good to stop what it could."

"Your armor is missing a few parts, it seems, because of that. I've heard of wisp armor, it seems so strange an enchantment. But it makes me wonder if Heinrich will wear such, someday. The wisp summon was his first cantrip."

The wisp armor was composed of many white round shapes formed together. The wisps were highly effective in resisting magical attacks and there was no viable armor lighter than it. For physical attacks however, it resembled leather in its protectiveness. Lord Altenburg seemed to be wearing hundreds of tiny ghosts holding hands, such was its appearence.

"At eight? That is truly remarkable. Has he learned his magics from soldiers or from the diocese?"

Wilhelm, as was his name, knelt down to look at the son and Heinrich smiled back but said nothing,

"Oh, from a tutor, but one trained in the martial affairs, we are hoping he will follow in my lord's footsteps."

The two had been so engrossed in conversation they just realized the Duke was up for the second round.

"I really want to see how he takes on the Duke of Lorraine."

So they turned to pay attention to the two contestants. Duke Nordheim was arrayed on a chestnut war horse with a blunted lance and scale mail armor that did indeed seem to have a soft blue aura emanating from it.

The Duke of Lorraine rode on a grey horse with gleaming chain mail, also openly readying his blunted lance.

The rules of Jousting restricted spells intended to damage to the somewhat safer flash spell, which was used by the unhorsed jousters. A handful of other non-damaging spells were allowed, but the full set of rules is rather numerous to mention.

With a signal, the Joust began. Under the feet of the gallopping horses blue flickers could be seen, the effects of magic intended to speed and bolster a horse. It is hard to say just how fast these horses were going when they approached, but it is certain that this was not a sustainable speed for war.

Both sides missed with their lances, with the horses veering off at the last moment and making broad turns as they reached the far ends of the grounds. Once again they rushed off to meet each other. As the chestnut horse rushed past its opposite, the Lorrainian duke tumbled off his horse, Otto's lance hitting hard. He stood and prepared as Otto made his turn.

Otto dismounted as his opponent made the gesture with his right hand to cast flash. A bright ball of aethereal energy whirled towards him thudding with a small impact on his mage armor.

Otto closed his eyes for a brief moment summoning his own flash and barely unleashed it before he could take a second hit. The two flashes collided creating an incredibly intense burst of light and then many colors that flickered off to the sides of the combatants, awing the audience by the prismatic light show.

Otto waved his hand across his face in a sweeping motion and the third flash from his enemy dispersed barely before it got out of his hand. Weakened by his own onslaught, the Lorrainian duke was not ready when Otto's second flash attack hit his chain mail right in the abdomen, and he crumpled with the wind knocked out of him.

The Emperor's tournament director announced, "Victory to the Duke of Bavaria, Otto von Nordheim!"

"That was incredible!" Wilhelm said after the joust was over, "That suppression spell is no easy thing on the battlefield. The other duke wore himself right out casting so aggressively, like a Thunder mage would...almost."

"Wow, father is really good. And did you see all those colors. He's obviously the best."

"Well, my young lord, he still has win four more rounds if he's going to be the best, but yes he's pretty good... My lady, with your lord's permission I'd like to make a visit the Bavaria myself and find out how your knights are doing, and have a chance to talk with the Duke."

"I'm sure Otto will approve, he always wants to talk to experienced knights."

Journal Entry, September 23rd

Knight-Errant-Magister Wilhelm von Altenburg came to the court after the jousting tournament, having kept my wife and son company after his loss to me in the first round. From the first I knew he was a very gracious sort, many would be angry towards the man they lost to. Taking Heinrich had the effect I had hoped and he wished to learn a lot more, and especially start to practice more on horse.

It just so happened that around that time Wilhelm offered to be his new tutor and Heinrich definitely took to him way before that, going with Wilhelm on his doings, when it could be done. I have rarely seen a knight with as much valor though he does have something of a reckless streak.

In the meantime, I had ordered construction of grounds that could serve as ample space for training and practice of the soldiers, especially the light cavalry and magisters. The barracks there and full facilities were finished only a few months after Wilhelm decided to stay here at Oberbayern.

I have since conferred with him several times and considered making him marshall, however another leader of men arrived at the court and quickly proved himself master of all things of military command and tactics. His name was Leopold von Frontenhausen and I made him marshal as soon as I saw the way he led. Leopold however was a standoffish sort and while I trusted his spell arm, I still conferred more with Wilhelm in person.

Ethelinde commented in late September that the court was much fuller than it had been in '65 and '66, and I agree, as I was able to find excellent men and one woman for important positions that were still vacant. However, perhaps she did not like the crowd as she asked me in November if she could spend some time learning at the diocesan tower, which still lacked a head mage, as I had not found anyone skilled in the laws and theory required for the position.

As I had demonstrated in the tournament last July, scholarly magi had come up with a new type of enchantment which would work with scale mail, an armor that itself was rather new. This enchantment combined physical and magical protection as I had asked for.

However I did not win the tournament, although I had a highly respectable finish. The emperor's son defeated me in the fourth round. His armor was truly excellent, and his horse as well. Neither did he lack in technique on foot, overwhelming the blue auric protection on my armor which had to be reimbued later. This made me realize that the blue scale mail was high maintenance and could still be improved.

Last edited:
I thought "Fire and Ice" was pretty good. Of course, I should warn I was probably biased before watching it because I'm:

1) A huge Ralph Bakshi fan
2) Interested in animation

But I liked it. Everything a good fantasy movie should have - buff guys beating up ugly guys, beautiful women running around wearing a piece of string, giant monsters that eat people, lots of action, a villain who's only bad at being good...it's got it all. I admit some of the lines are kind of cheesy (some of the romantic scenes almost rank as bad as that scene between Padme and Anakin on the balcony in Episode III) but overall it's at least worth a watch. :)

I was just thinking with your name problem - maybe you could leave some normal, non-magic troops in? ie Wizard fodder, you know. ;) Just people like "Common Infantry" or something like that. Oh, also, are you going to mod the graphics so when there's a battle the little icons match what the unit is? :D

Henry v. Keiper

Light Infantry are already fodder like you said, in a mod they would be much weaker. Heavy infantry use a few enchanted weapons or armor, and pikeman as well, but otherwise are the same.

Lots of action now, lets just say your ideas earlier helped out. :p

1068 - 1069: Mustering for War

1068 - 1069: Mustering for War

Letter of Declaration of War upon Domenic Contarini, Counsul of Venice

The corrupt can not be allowed to stand when the power exists within us to destroy it. Thus I must list out the reasons of his corruption.

It has been long known, even into pre-magical times, that the republican form of government is spineless and devoid of any martial art, nor training. For when each man is his own, the spirit of service is smashed as there is no strong leader who can take up that call.

Indeed, this system has the purpose of attempting to equalize the unequal. Men have differences in their apptitude for war, for magic, for scholarship, for merchant's work and for farming. Thus it is clear that proper government should be placed in Venice, to remove a blot upon the domain of Aethereal magic.

In addition, Domenic claims power far beyond his ability to defend it. He claims to be an equal of Kings, while he flits about his tiny demense. Men should be equal to the positions to which they claim. If Venice was to be brought in under vassalage as a county, this would be quite fitting for Domenic.

"My lord, Leopold has mustered the forces of Innsbruck who stand ready for our arrival. Likewise Guelph has gone north to bring the call for mustering. What do you say to the vassals?" Magister Wilhelm said.

"The vassals will be called if such is needed, until then I will not risk such a widespread call to arms. Besides, reports say that the Emperor is sending forces from all over his lands to us. Begin the march to Innsbruck. There I will gather all of our forces to march on Venice."

On the Duke's signal, the trumpeteer began, and the forces of Oberbayern began the march meet up with Leopold.

Journal Entry Part 1, January 19, 1070

On the first days of war

The first days of war before battle has been joined always supports the already existing conceptions as to what strength the enemy has and how our battles shall be won. Such it was, that in those days I focussed relentlessly on the planning for our magisters while Leopold handled the infantry and foot magi.

In truth his plan and those forces would prove more important than magisters, but that was not to come for some weeks yet. At the time we waited for Guelph's forces to arrive and made plans. The Knights-Magister were arrayed and the Ducal flag was in evidence, and as often occurs in the early days of war there was much pageantry and insignia among us. However, having fought not in wars but only in tournaments, I lacked perspective in those days.

Such it was that on the 1st of July of the following year after the Tournament, our scouts spotted the Counsul of Venice marching upon our position. With our plans completely changed, we began preparing to defend Innsbruck.

Defensive Layout of the Duke's forces, approximate

There were as many Heavy infantry as Pikemen and Light Infantry combined in the Duke's army.

L - Light Infantry P - Pikemen H - Heavy Infantry
K - Knights-Magister M - Foot Magi C - Light Cavalry

Code:
      MMMM             MMMM

CC  KK   HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   KK  CC
CC  KK   LLLLLPPPPPPLLLL   KK  CC

1069: Wilhelm's account of Innsbruck

1069: Wilhelm's account of Innsbruck

"Well, my lord, with command of the foot magi on the right flank, I knew you were going to make a move against their magisters, so I tried to soften them up by hitting them with flashes while they were still inactive. Their magisters advanced, intending to charge our right flank, but your forces interposed and the battle was such that we could not target the enemy without hitting our own forces.

Just then word came that the Venitian infantry were making a general advance. I ordered attack at will on the advancing infantry and they were peppered with flashes, but they pressed onward, those who had not been knocked down.

Immediately the infantry situation became critical for the Venitians, ours were better trained, and we had more heavy infantry in the second line waiting after the screen of light infantry fell or retreated, so their foot magi began their own bombarbment, hitting the light infantry with flash and Aethereal Dousing.

I had to try to quickly dispell as much of the dousing as possible, but it seemed fewer men exploded than expected when flash hit them. With my magi distracted on that task for a few minues, their infantry pressed forward again and then something had occurred beyond my sight because the infantry towards the middle of the line were turning to face another threat.

The men maintained their fire on the line when suddenly I noticed magisters rushing towards us. I quickly verified they were Venitian, and it seemed there were only three after us. I ordered an aggressive onslaught against the magisters, and galloping so fast they hardly noticed or had time to dispell the many casts off dousing laid upon them.

They reached about 15 yards upon us when we unleased flashes on the three, and I prepared to use whatever extra spells I could against them, being the only magister trained in the group, of course. Two immediately burst into a blinding aethereal flame, but the third shooken up, had cast an indemnification at the last minute, at least I believe thats the only spell he could have cast.

Having made so many casts so quickly against this charge, my foot magi were weary so I decided to take down the magister myself. As he began riding down the magi, I focussed inward. One second, two seconds, three seconds, time seemed to stand still as I summoned the Aethereal Form.

It was a tall maiden, barely seeable with her ghostly blue cloak and as time seemed suspended she touched the horse with her hands and it turned to glass in mid stride.

Then time returned to normal and the aethereal being vanished as the magister tumbled, since he was still moving forward but the horse wasn't. We subdued the man who was shocked, and seeing as we were all exhausted from the intense spellcasting, and had lost some of our own, we barely had much role in the rest of the battle. I couldn't cast anything for three days after that last."

"That was truly a great effort made against the magisters, Wilhelm, and that casting a worthy part of the Archmage's records. I'm sure you will be commended, since there has not been a record of that form being summoned in many years.

Next, I would like to ask you, Leopold, if you feel up to it, just what your account of the battle is."

"Certainly, my lord," Leopold said, as he was resting in bed from his injuries.

1069: Leopold's Account of Innsbruck

1069: Leopold's Account of Innsbruck

"I ordered the troops to take defensive positions, since the Venitians outnumbered us in everything but heavy infantry, and I hoped to make my second line decisive. The point of having the weaker troops up front was to wear down the enemy as much as possible with the attacks of foot magi and our infantry and pikemen before they faced the armored heavy infantry.

The greatest danger were charges by the magisters. I put the pikemen in the center to prevent the infantry from being split in two by such a charge.

So the first thing that happened under my notice, was on the right flank, enemy Magisters were riding towards the lines, but they were intercepted and I turned to the infantry who were now advancing. A number of the advancing light infantry were downed by our magi, so that forces behind them had to take up their positions as they met us in battle.

Their own magi then doused our infantry and some of their own on accident. Knowing how bad that spell can be, I made use of the few spellcasting pikemen. While dispell was a difficult effort for the best of them, a dozen of the pikemen were able to each dispell one of our soldiers. In addition Wilhelm discovered what had happened and made his efforts in that matter.

So when the flashes hit, about twenty of my men and ten Venitians exploded in bright beams of aether, littering the battlefield with their bodies. Just after that many Magisters rode upon my left flank. They ploughed through the line downing soldiers left and right, splitting the far left end of my forces from the rest of the line.

I ordered that end of my line to turn to face the magisters and the pikemen that could be quickly formed were arrayed against them.

While I was focussing on this dire threat, our heavy infantry smashed through the enemy infantry on the right flank and began to advance on the enemy positions, trying to take out the enemy magi, or what purpose I do not know, as it was a lieutenant who had undoubtedly ordered the advance. However it did serve to give the Venitians something else to look at.

However, it didn't matter what happened to the infantry if we couldn't stop the charge of the magisters. Just then the Light Cavalry joined the battle, and although they were individually no match for a magister, in conjunction with our pikemen I felt they might be useful.

The advancing infantry on the right flank were now beset upon by the Venitian reserves, being the new target of the magi and the heavy infantry of their own. Guelph's magi began targetting these heavy infantry as they were of no use in the charge that began.

I was mounted leading battle from just behind the first reformed lines against the charge when they broke through, with gleaming lances smashing the pikemen to bits. I turned to make our defense further back and as I pushed my horse to move, a lance slammed into my right shoulder from behind me. It missed my chest by inches and hurt mightly.

I tumbled off my horse in pain and helpless to do anything about the magisters still riding forward."

"Our leftside Magisters were completely routed, leaving the enemy free to ride upon you. Your infantry men say after you fell, the heavy infantry that still remained alive and were near you formed up, making a last stand with pikes taken from the fallen. They formed the pike square, but the magisters rode off towards our advancing heavy infantry on the right flank. However, I and some dozen magisters had survived the brutal fight with the enemy. We lost many of our own as they did as well but they were demoralized at the last moment and had choosen to flee from us, thus freeing up our survivors."

1069: Otto's Account of the End of the Battle

1069: Otto's Account of the End of the Battle

"The great majority of the Venitian infantry had been routed and ran, and we were free to manuever. I decided to flank the defenders with our remaining magisters, giving the enemy magisters free reign to charge upon our heavy infantry making the attack.

I did this because I knew their magisters outnumbered us quite a bit now, and if I could lead a general routing of the rest of their defenders, the Magisters would feel compelled to retreat. So I tried to push the others and my own horse to ride as fast as its weary legs could, so as to come upon the enemy infantry first.

We road through the enemy infantry scattering them just as the enemy smashed through our heavy infantry themselves. Parting ways, our own infantry made space as we advanced to meet the enemy.

We swept past each other like jousters missing and coming back for another round. But the Venitian infantry was dispirited and fleeing. The Pike square that had formed earlier was marching towards the forward position, and I gave what ducal authority and inspiration I could to push our infantry to stand and form against one last charge. They lingered some distance from the line as we waited exhausted. Finally the pike square formed up with the rest of the line, and not wanting to press their luck, the Venitian magisters and the Counsul left, likely to try to regroup its infantry from the countryside.

Our losses in magisters were horrific, leaving us with only 60, where we had 190 the day before battle. Our infantry had taken heavy losses, but the heavy infantry and pikemen had done very well, winning the day for us, along with the foot magi.

When the army was gathered together once more, we had 1100 troops in total, a loss of not quite half. My own magisters numbered 12, so the left flank magisters must have fled almost immediately, since they had not lost nearly as many as I. I was determined to find out the cause of their cowardice, since it had so imperiled your forces. We did gather up the magisters, and are still sorting out their stories, but I can tell you now that I will be replacing the leadership of those magisters. I need a strong leader to take the opposite flank.

I would appoint you in an instant, Wilhelm, but your exceptional performance as commander of the foot magi leads me to support keeping you in such position, but I mean no disgrace to you by that. From this battle I have learned to respect mightily the power of the foot magi and the infantry. Without our advantages in these two areas, and our greater resolve, the numbers of the Venitians would have won the day. No longer will I think only of the magisters in my military plans.

But I will leave you for rest Leopold. For you are weary from both your injury and leading the siege of Venezia in such a condition. Your insistence was strange, but your performance, with your shoulder hurting gravely, was exemplary."

"I have tried to serve you well, my lord...King Otto."

Sweet, accounts. Now we're in the Middle Ages. :cool:

1069: Otto's magisters and the Aethereal Form

1069: Otto's magisters and the Aethereal Form

Journal Entry Part 2, January 19, 1070

The magisters in the battle of Innsbruck

Not a soul knows this but the magisters who were serving with me when we came to blows against the Venitians. I do not wish to distort the truth, but I fear my reputation would take too large a blow were the real truth revealed. In fact, like the left flank of our magisters, we were being cut down and demoralized, unable to put up a reasonable fight against the superior numbers of the Venitians, and I had to rally the men several times before the real events of this part of the battle came to pass.

In fact, the form Wilhelm summoned is far more powerful than even he knows, and she did more for the battle than merely dismount one man. Presumeably after turning the first horse into glass, she turned and came upon us, as I saw the streak of ghostly blue coming. I thought it was a spell from the Foot Magi at first, but she came upon us, hovering in the air above both Venitian and Bavarian men. All of us had halted, as time seemed to be gone, just as Wilhelm has described.

It seemed as if she was peering into our very souls, it was rather uncomfortable while she gazed at us. Then she struck down magisters seemingly at random with heavenly blasts, yet I knew what she had found in our souls was the basis of her scheme.

Such was her destruction that a mere dozen of my magisters including myself remained, while the enemy had taken heavy losses and fled the battle scene, as recounted elsewhere. Such was it, that only by this maiden's power were my magisters able to arrive on the flanks of the enemy's defensive positions.

The siege of Venizia and the meanderings of the Venitian remnants

So three days after the battle, having regrouped, but scarely being able or willing to fight another battle so devastating, we proceeded to march upon Venizia to siege it. Leopold was in bad condition, and we did our best to keep care of him, but he insisted on staying with the army, and such was his will that he seemed better in those days.

I did not attend too closely to the siege, setting up camp further out, and sending out scouts to track the progress of the Venitian remnants.

Not two days after we began the siege, Lord Bouchard who wed our lovely Agnes arrived at the siege, under the auspices of the Emperor. Later many other nobles arrived, but the Emperor, still young, did not lead any army himself, which is perhaps not so bad, as the siege conditions were harsh and food was hard to come by.

Disease took a heavy toll upon us, and when taking tally of my own forces, I was hopeful of a long peace after, to recuperate.

Scouts informed us that while the Venitian forces had passed through Oberbayern, they never made siege to any provinces. They even headed further east in their wandering, which seemed to have no purpose to any of those following the Venitians.

When the siege ended, being the most ranked Noble on the scene, peace was negotiated and the title of Consul of Venice was granted. For whatever reason, previously I had believed that Venizia did not actually have any legitimate claim on being the equal of a King. However all the counts assembled proclaimed me King of Venice when I took hold of the position.

Then I feared of the Emperor's reaction, he has never had a King as vassal, and such it was that the Chancellor and his staff were very busy in the months following my return to Oberbayern. The Emperor then declared he recognized my Kinghood, but he still had grievances with Venizia, and as yet I do not know what will happen of that.

Being released from Vassalage was an odd and harrowing experience, to no longer have the protection of the mighty Emperor. Since I had made no claim on Venizia itself, feeling that the ex-Consul was a worthy man to be count, merely not Consul, nor that a republic was proper government, he became vassal when the war was won.

I tried to pressure Domenic in changing the republican form of Venizia, but progress would be slow at best.

On the subject of our war leaders, all the stress and weariness of Leopold's injury and leadership came back to him when he arrived, and so he was and remains bedridden. Both Leopold and Wilhelm received great honors, while I must still look for a commander for the left flank of our magisters.

The archmage gave honors to Wilhelm as well for his epic summoning, receiving Magus Honorarium, an honor given to those who extend and maintain greatness in Aethereal magic.

On the subject of being King, Domenic bore no worthy crown, so it was deemed that one should be made for the dynastic King of Venice. In early 1070, Genoa offered alliance and I accepted.

I have been away from the children for quite some time because of the war, and Heinrich was away from his mentor as well, but on Wilhelm's return, Heinrich asked to hear all the glorious stories of our victory, and so Wilhelm obliged.

This is awesome you took my advice to heart. :) Being away from the emperor may be scary, but let your reputation max out again and go title hunting, and you'll be fine. ;)

I like this "maiden." :cool:

Well for story purposes no one knows where this maiden really comes from, and she's not really human, thats why I put it in quotes, heh. But yeah. I just wish Wilhelm would get canonized in game to fit the story. (He performed a miracle, at least in this alternate reality. Its not a miracle he had no part in, he ordered one :D)

Although some may consider it cheating, you can always go in and mod the characters so he is canonized. ;)

The Sons of Bavaria, part 1

World.JPG

Heinrich.JPG

The Sons of Bavaria, part 1

Outside the training grounds of Oberbayern

Wilhelm and Heinrich dismount from their horses. Wilhelm lifts Kuno off the back, as Kuno has been riding with him.

To the west an extensive forest looms, though a trail can be seen through entering it.

"Great riding Rich, you are really doing well on the horse."

Kuno quietly sits down as Heinrich walks over to his mentor.

"What was she like Will?"

"Like an angel, all in blue, except her hair was the purest white. We should be training anyway Rich, probably no one will ever see her again. At least no one from Bavaria. I think Kuno is tired of being in the saddle, just ride a square around here, practice your speeds. You can't ride a horse at full speed constantly."

Heinrich got back on his horse and said, "What's an angel?", and before Will could get a word in edgewise he was off. Will watched him, to see him make the turn, but Rich didn't, he continued straight onto the forest trail.

"Stay here Kuno!" Will said, and leapt onto his horse, pursuing.

Kuno looked on as Will vanished into the distance, feeling like he always had, second best, if even that. He was so quiet that no one ever thought much about him, but if they had, they might have realized how smart the boy was, especially when it came to rules, codes and history of Aethereal Magic.

Kuno stood up, wandering about, almost at random. He kicked stones to see how far they went, he was lonely, and a long way from home for a six year old. Suddenly he looked up, and there was a small shack on the edge of the woods. He was oddly curious, he'd never seen such a thing, having grown up in manors and mage towers.

There was no door and Kuno looked in. Unbeknownsts to him, this area was generally considered completely uninhabited, and the Training grounds had been placed nearby for that reason. And this far out, only a few horses ever rode from the training grounds.

There was a man writing on a makeshift table, Kuno peered in, taking a step forward and tumbled to the ground. He sat up, looking at his elbow, and the man had noticed.

"Just how might a little boy make it into my shack, I can not ever guess." He put down his pen and walked over to Kuno. "Who might you be and how did you get here?"

"My name is Kuno. My brother came out here, and Will too."

"What a mystery this is, lets see. Well I'm Emmich, you can call me Mich."

Kuno looked up at the man and felt that maybe once, he was being considered first, not second. He smiled despite the scary situation. "Hi Mich!"

"I really apologize, my lord, truly. Your son was off like a flash into the forests, and I had to chase him down on horseback, he really was flying through there, it must have taken me 15 minutes, I didn't plan on that. We came back and he was gone. My heart sank then and its remained sunk."

"Kuno really needs a mentor like Heinrich has in you, but I can't really punish him, because he's got just the spirit he's going to need for the future. He takes charge and goes all out. It must have been another of the soldiers who picked him up. Go to the training grounds and talk with all who you can."

"Its hard to keep order out there ever since Leopold got sick again sir, someone might have done something bad. But I hope not, I really do. I'll go ask the soldiers."

Richenza and Ethilinde were arriving at court and ran to see Otto, having heard that Wilhelm had bad news.

"What happened!" Richenza said.

"Kuno's missing, he went along with Will this time, he really wanted to go. And he was left for a few minutes and no one can find him now."

"Oh no!" Ethelinde cried, "Kuno's probably lost and alone, and someone's got him. We gotta find him father."

"I'm going to go look right now Ethelinde, I swear I lost him I'll find him."

Courtiers who were there at the time might have thought it odd that the sister seemed more concerned than the father, or not, he was a second son and yet Ethelinde's favorite. If anyone had been forced to admit it, they might have said that they always felt something was wrong with Kuno, he was too quiet, too uninvolved in traditional activities.

However, as Kuno himself noted, there were two people now, who saw him first, not second. His sister, and the mysterious hermit.

Sons of Bavaria, part 2

Sons of Bavaria, part 2

"Umm, the First Law of Magic is: Follow no other elements, there is none before Aether, or after," Kuno said, sitting facing the hermit.

"Very good, where did you learn the rules?" he asked. The hermit wore the ecclisiastical mage's apparel, that originally had been white. His clothes were now grey with dirt, and tattered.

"I...uh...go to the Tower school, and I have a teacher too, he's called deacon Rob."

"The Tower School, hmm...hmm. Oh, well ok, what's the second law of magic?"

"I think the Second Law of Magic is: Practice magic with a good heart, good eyes and good hands."

"What do you think it means to have a good heart?"

"Um, teacher Rob says good hearts means don't do mean magic, only good magic."

"Excellent, well do you want to go to the tower school, I can take you."

"Sure Mich, lets go! You can talk to my teacher too."

Emmich took his papers and stuffed them in a small canvas bag that was bulging at the seams.

"Hold on my hand good and tight Kuno," he said, and Kuno held on giddily.

Emmich closed his eyes concentrating, seconds passed by, perhaps fifteen of them.

"Holy aether on bread! You're from the Archmage tower aren't you? I've never seen anyone do something like that, but I've heard the Cardinal-Mages do."

Kuno was completely confused, looking around, he was at the tower school suddenly and his teacher was the one talking.

"Slow down son, slow down. I didn't come from the Vatican. I've been there before sure, but I haven't in many years. Its a long story, but anyway. I've come here to bring your student back, he wandered into my hut the other day. Once I found out he was a student of the tower here, I wanted to bring him back right away.

Anyway, might have you some clothes for an old man coming out of his hermitage. I've been meditating on things Aethereal for many years now, and I think Kuno's arrival was not a coincidence. Aether and luck do not mix, and thus luck can not exist, since Aether surely does."

"Kuno! Your father was looking for you, and Sir Wilhelm..."

"Its alright teacher, Mich gave me good lessons in the meantime, and took care of me."

"I better run and get Mich here some clothes."

So Rob was off to find a suitable clothes for a mysterious yet surely high ranked man, having trouble in doing so, and eventually found a set of blue elder's robes, and Mich went off to get dressed.

"Thank you sir, to take in a stranger such as myself so kindly. Who is Kuno's father anyway?"

"It was nothing sir, anyone who can teleport is a far wiser man than I will ever be. I've heard of the training required, it is beyond imagining. But anyway, you aren't from around here I've gathered? Kuno is the second son of the King of Venice, and Duke of Bavaria, his palace court is in this very city."

"Indeed...this is a surprise, I will go to the King then, with Kuno, if that is alright with you."

So Emmich and Kuno left the tower, and headed down to court. Commoners recognized Kuno but not his companian, and wondered who he was, the same of the courtiers as they arrived. At court he asked to see the King, and being seen with the King's son they let him right in.

"You are not a soldier, then we were wrong in our search. How does a holy man such as you surely are stumble upon my son?" Otto asked.

"I am Emmich, pilgrim, hermit and devotee to Aether, my lord. It is and was to be so. Only aethereal guidance itself could have brought your son to me, for I live on the edge of the woods, in a place where no others live. The most I have seen of the outside world are the rare horsemen of yours who on occasion come out so far. I see them pass, but they do not see me.

You see, I did not stumble upon Kuno, he stumbled upon me. Not knowing who he was, I helped him until I learned that he was a young student at the Mage tower here. His teacher gave me fresh robes, and that is good as I was in no state to have conference with a King."

"It is a long walk from so far out as where Wilhelm reported Kuno was at last. You are missing part of the story surely. Nonetheless, I have seen and known before now of Kuno's aptitude with Tower Magic, his teacher has commented of it often."

"You would seem to be lacking a Diocesan mage, since the deacons seem to run the place, and Kuno's teacher was shocked to see one who can teleport. I had entered my hermitage with the purpose in mind of greater meditation and dedication to the pious regimen of Aethereal magic. I have gained something from this, and yet I feel I must move into the world again."

"Indeed, we lack much authority within the towers, and I have had great troubles filling positions. Only great mages from the Vatican schools or those taught through long struggle, as I feel is your situation, have the skill of teleportation. I will immediately place you with the Diocese should you feel the position worthy, upon your demonstration of this testament of devotion. At that time I would allow you to direct the efforts needed to build our system into something befitting a King, a system of towers and schools that would not embarrass us in the eyes of the Archmage.

And if you wish to be teacher to my son, I would be yet still more pleased, for I feel already that you will be a great guide and mentor to him, just as my first son has had his instructor Sir Wilhelm. I would say now that both my sons have been fated to meet with the men who would be guides to them by what at first seemed only chance."

"What are the bounds of the test that you would ask. I will do so immediately and take up the reforming of your tower within the week."

"Have you the ability to envision my wife and daughter, who wait at home, such that you may teleport to them? I do know that some may only teleport to towers, so I would give you a lesser test if you will not accept the greater."

"I accept this test my lord. I believe you wish me to bring Kuno with me, since he has been lost?"

"Yes indeed."

Otto watched carefully for a minute or so as Kuno held hands with Emmich. And then they vanished. Kuno had a peculiar smile he had not seen from his son in a long time. "We have our Bishop-Mage now, all things allign to work out, in the end," he thought.

On the economic front, a sawmill was being built alongside the forestry to speed along future projects. Religious structures were sure to be requested by this Emmich in the coming years, and Otto wished to fulfill such requests, feeling that current facilities were woefully inadequate for a kingdom's capital.

1071: Careless Obligations

Ethilinde.JPG

Kuno.JPG

1071: Careless Obligations

(Note: In game Kuno quickly becomes stressed and then crazed, but I felt that was totally unfair for a 7 year old, and it destroys the storyline of the last chapter, so I removed that trait and added zealous instead to fit the story better.)

Journal Entry, April 12, 1072

The sickness that engulfed Innsbruck for many months finally seems to be subsiding, if as much by exhaustion of the victims it has taken than anything else.

Odalric had big objections to two of my policies, first was that those who sought alliance shall gain it, for when nations protect each other they are stronger. Odalric disapproved of Kiev, which is to the east, joining our nation in alliance. I suppose I'm so used to the machinations and also the glories of Aethereal magic that I failed to even consider that our new eastern ally was part of the tradition of Frost magics, which are led by the Magi of Byzantine these days.

So, when I did learn so, I began to study the surrounding area, as well as the Frost tradition. Bishop Emmich decided to help in the study and Kuno was eager to learn about these other magi. While legend says Frost magics arose from the pagan parts of that country, much of those areas are now under the sway of Spirit magic. This school of magic is one of the blackest, condemmed by the Archmage, both Anselm and now Bogumil.

So I began to see this as a chance to prove Aethereal and Bavarian righteousness against the infidels, if Kiev should come under attack. Getting to that country would be another story indeed. Later, last August, I made a trip to Venizia, to discover what boats could be marshalled for such travel. Indeed Count Domenic was well prepared on the naval front.

The second act which Odalric saw reason to disapprove of, was the writing of a feudal contract setting out the rights, rewards and responsibilities of knights, merchants and the peasants. It was certainly a change, but one that I feel is an improvement in the long run. Odalric felt the traditional system worked well enough, but I knew that some means had to be made to encourage more knights to join service, and that other adjustments needed to be made at the same time. Also, with things written down, everyone had a bit clearer idea of what must be done, especially the nobles.

Many accounts of the deeds of Bishop Emmich and my son, who were nearly inseperable during this time, began to come to me. The bishop was pursuing the rebuilding of our tower infastructure, and I agreed that it shall be done, but the next project I had in mind at the time, after the completion of the sawmill, was to construct a Court of Justice, as the number of cases to be settled was rising fast. Emmich told me one day last fall that Kuno had learned all twelve laws of the basic code, and began the studying the Archmage's guidance on martial magic, an encyclical produced during the first age of Aethereal magic after Odovacer's claim, that produced the basis of honorable war.

During that age, Aethereal magic was learned from the conquerers of Rome, and it was in a rough state at the time, resembling what is now Spirit magic. But with the efforts of what came to be the Archmage, as well as the spreading knowledge of this magic, the Aethereal school was purified, and many spells were expunged with new ones being created as well.

The Encyclical on martial magic established that non-Aethereal magic was not to be used by any who claimed to be under the Archmage, it also listed many of the expunged spells, and gave other rules for battle magic. It was a terse document and difficult study, but I do believe Kuno will continue his studies even when the reading becomes difficult, and I am sure he will not have to read translations forever, Latin will be a subject he takes to well, since translations into german are by no means common.

With possible war with infidels in the future of the Kingdom, I set to shore up my military command. Leopold had not been in command in practice since he became ill again, and now with pneumonia I decided that since Wilhelm had taken over the reins all but officially, he would become the new commander.

Ethilinde continues to spend a great deal of time in court, however she dabbles in things sometimes that she should not, and I have told her to remain discrete and take only actions appropriate to her position. Despite her lack of diplomatic acumen, I feel she has a great deal in common with her mother. Both of them hear far more than one would guess. Her ability to determine what people are really saying, in public and in private, is as remarkable as Richenza was when we were married.

Last August she decided she wanted to learn to ride a horse, not just ride one, but to ride fast like her brother. I was reluctant but allowed her to learn many of the arts of horse riding. However, she went with Heinrich and followed him everywhere through the forest riding at a reckless pace for a man, yet alone a woman. Her horse riding was becoming an obsession, especially since she was supposed to be at court. I had to stop it, I could not stand by and let her be harmed riding with her brother, who after all, was learning the lessons needed to be a crusader king.

On economic matters, with the sawmill complete, I turned our workers to the building of the Justice Court planned. Meanwhile Emmich came to me with plans for a full Tower system, with education, library, quarters for the residents and space for the pious laity. It was ambitious, but I made plans to construct as much as could be done as soon as the workers could be found and a suitable place to build as well.