• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[size=+1]1939, Winter to Spring – Reducing the Kessel[/size]

In 1939, the Greater Albanian Empire has a decent-sized chunk taken out of it by the UK. If you can tell by the font for France, they are still a part of the Allies despite their defeat at the hands of Germany. I suspect this may be related to the fact that I made them a puppet. I’d really like to edit the save file to fix this error, since I don’t want my game to get spoiled down the road by any goofiness later. If anybody has tips on how to do this, let me know. I already opened up the save game in Notepad and found the section for France, but I couldn’t find any subsection that listed their faction, or who they were at war with.

Ch06_01_Europe.jpg

In Asia, Japan is still working its way through China, and my newly-acquired holdings in Indochina are being eaten alive by partisans. I’m not going to be able to do anything about that for a looooooooong time to come.

Ch06_02_Asia.jpg

If you check out the movement arrows on the German troops, you can get an idea of the problem I am having here in Europe. Germany just won’t attack more than one province deep into my territory. Every time they do, they immediately pull their forces back out. Bug, bug, bug, bug!

”Did somebody say.. RAID!?!” - Cockroach

Ch06_03_BalkanFront.jpg

Despite this, I don’t consider this too horrible of a position, since I know the UK can’t possibly have enough divisions to be a serious problem. They would be, however, if they were smart enough to just go all-out and attack Tirane to get me out of the war, but I know they won’t do that.

11 January: A day I have long awaited finally arrives: The first home-grown Albanian Infantry division comes off the assembly line! Everyone is so proud, they line up for pictures and autographs.

Ch06_04_InfantryDivision.jpg

Royal_Albanian_guard.jpg

13 January: My second Transport fleet finishes. I redirect those ICs to making a second Armor brigade via license from Germany. At least this time I get a Panzer III. Later I may round out that Armored division with MOT or ENG from Germany, I haven’t decided yet.

21 January: An encircled British Infantry division is eliminated in Yugoslavia. One down, many to go.

1 February: Germany grants me an Infantry division. The current count of Albanian military power is: 10 gifted divisions, 1 Militia division, 1 Infantry division, and 2 Transports.

8 February: Denmark mobilizes.

4 March: The Netherlands mobilizes. Not much else happening except we keep trading provinces back and forth with the British.

9 March: Germany gifts me another Infantry division.

25 March: My lone “pure” Royal Albanian Infantry division has some success attacking a British division that is out of supply. With any luck, the little guy will eliminate it all by himself. The next division doesn’t arrive off the production line until June.

Ch06_05_AttackUKDiv.jpg

I can see a couple of huge stacks where Germany has been gifting Hungary troops, but Hungary doesn’t seem to want to use them.

”Jealous much?” – Artie Ziff

2 April: I win the battle, now to eliminate the enemy division. Albanian newspapers will be full of the news of the mighty victory!

Ch06_06_EliminateDiv.jpg

4 April: The enemy division is eliminated. Looking around the world, I see the Italians are focusing on minding their own business at Tobruk.

Ch06_07_AfricaFront.jpg

7 May: I reclaim Split.

Ch06_08_SplitTaken.jpg

9 May: I get two more Infantry divisions from Germany.

17 May: I get stuck with Illegal Printing. Somebody must be spreading lies about Albanian casualties!

19 May: I get three corps HQs, a Mountain, and Infantry division from Germany.

20 May: Whoops, make that 6 corps HQs and an Army HQ…

29 May: I complete research of Infantry Anti-Tank Weapons to level 1, allowing me to equip my Infantry division with a full round of WWI gear!

14 June: Afghanistan mobilizes.

22 June: I earn Veteran Army.

25 June: I’ve finished sending back all those HQs from Germany. I am sure I may regret it later, since these guys are probably better than any Albanian General I can ever field, but it’s a national pride thing to have all my troops Albanian-led. In the future though, I should keep a few around as I don’t have all that many leaders to go around.

26 June: I retake Zagreb. The British are certainly being pushed back.

Ch06_09_ZagrebTaken.jpg

27 June: My second pure Royal Albanian Infantry division is finished. I decide to use those ICs to make a pair of Transports, since I need ships to execute the next stage of my plan.

29 June: I happen to notice that the tech research is having an impact even at WWI levels, since completing AT-guns has boosted my Infantry counter from 2 - 2 to 2 - 3.

30 June: The British Expeditionary Force (Balkans) is on the ropes. Once they are gone, I would be very surprised to see another incursion of this magnitude any time at all in 1940.

Ch06_10_FinalRecap.jpg

Mwhahahahahaha…

Not all of your pics are working, from the last 2 chapters.
Either way, it's weird to see the AI acting that way, though I don't have FTW yet to know how it should act.

Not all of your pics are working, from the last 2 chapters.
Either way, it's weird to see the AI acting that way, though I don't have FTW yet to know how it should act.

Hmmm, that seems odd, since checking my Photobucket account, I'm only at 70% of my bandwidth limit for the month. Is anybody else having a problem?

I'm not sure if the AI problems I see are related to FtM or not... now that I know what to look for, I see it all over the place. I don't remember if it was this obvious in SF.

I’d really like to edit the save file to fix this error, since I don’t want my game to get spoiled down the road by any goofiness later. If anybody has tips on how to do this, let me know. I already opened up the save game in Notepad and found the section for France, but I couldn’t find any subsection that listed their faction, or who they were at war with.

It's almost in the end of the save-file. Ctrl+F search for the faction= line that's near the end. There you will see the lists of the axis, allies and comintern members. Cut-and-paste country="FRA" from the allies' and into the axis list. Remember to fix it so there is no gaps.
Below these lists you will find the diplomacy= section. In here lies the commands of separate alliances, puppets and trade deals between nations. Remember these are Separate from the factions. E.g. two countries where one is a member of the axis can here be mentioned as allied with a comintern country. Make sure France have no ties with any Allied counterpart in this list, apart from trade, which they actually shouldn't have any since they're now your vassal. Below the diplomacy section lies the memory for current/past wars. You might want look over this as well.

Great AAR btw! Witty and corky, and some damn nifty manoeuvres. ;)

Great AAR btw! Witty and corky, and some damn nifty manoeuvres. ;)

Welcome, and thanks!

I'm not keen on tainting my game with a direct edit of the file, but I don't see as I have much choice. I don't want to risk some other oddness happening later that forces me to abort the game early. Thanks for the pointers on the save file!

I first want to say that this is an awesome AAR and it gave me quite a few laughs, implying you are a good writer too, and it even inspired me to try the same. But I only understand this game for a month so.. I do have a few questions.

How did you get Albania to join the Axis? How do you add cores?

Thanks and please keep rolling reports out!

I first want to say that this is an awesome AAR and it gave me quite a few laughs, implying you are a good writer too, and it even inspired me to try the same. But I only understand this game for a month so.. I do have a few questions.

How did you get Albania to join the Axis? How do you add cores?

Thanks and please keep rolling reports out!

Welcome, and thanks!

To join the Axis, right at the game start I went to the Diplomacy menu for Germany and picked "Align to Faction". Doing so costs you nothing. This takes care of half the process, which is putting yourself into the Axis corner diplomatically. The remainder is getting your neutrality low enough that you are allowed to join the faction. In FtM, you can do this very easily with the special "Prepare for War" event available only to smaller countries. If I was playing Semper Fi, I would have my 10 Spies working on the "Lower Neutrality" mission instead of "Raise National Unity". If that process didn't go fast enough to suit me, I would also then have to maintain 10 Spies in a foreign country which would then have slowed down my early tech research considerably.

You can only add cores in-game via special events that only exist for a few countries in some circumstances. Aside from that, you can edit the campaign file before you start play to give yourself cores where you want them. Since you mention this, I should check around to see if Albania had any cores outside its starting territory. As the Albanian border was a bit of an open question when they gained independence during the era of the last war, it would not surprise me if there should be some, but I don't know enough specifics about Balkan history from that era to say for sure. I'm sure the HPP crew has probably already checked that out pretty thoroughly.

Thanks Eqqman! I got FtM so joining the Axis will be quite easy. Always thought Italy would be an arse like they where in real life :p Funny how you turned those roles around. Starting up the game now, all hail Zog.

Actually British made an exciting invasion. Sadly they will not be able to hold against mighty Albania :)

How many generals do you have? One thing I really don't like with minors is that not only they don't have many leaders but those leaders have very limited abilities. Regardless that they saw and took part in more than 100 battles they still will not be as good as some German leader who never saw a single battle. This is due to the artificial capping of abilities of leaders of minor countries.

Welcome, and thanks!

I'm not keen on tainting my game with a direct edit of the file, but I don't see as I have much choice. I don't want to risk some other oddness happening later that forces me to abort the game early. Thanks for the pointers on the save file!

Yeah. But since it is an alternate reality, even though Zog is the one true claimant to rule the universe, you can't consider this as "cheating" or "editing". It's imo a miss from Paradox' side of the fence. I do this all the time I want to play a country that has to be released at the start. Like in my past game with Israel. I even released Jordan, Syria, Palestine and Egypt, removing them from their evil colonial overlords so I could get my own friends/minions. :D

I will follow your AAR eagerly, with popcorn, and maybe some fruit if I feel like staying healthy. :)

Actually British made an exciting invasion. Sadly they will not be able to hold against mighty Albania :)

How many generals do you have? One thing I really don't like with minors is that not only they don't have many leaders but those leaders have very limited abilities. Regardless that they saw and took part in more than 100 battles they still will not be as good as some German leader who never saw a single battle. This is due to the artificial capping of abilities of leaders of minor countries.

Yes, it's not a very long list and consists mainly of skill level 0 and 1 leaders. On the plus side, I do have at least *one* Panzer Leader. I already have his assignment planned, but since you can't assign a leader to a single brigade I have to wait for the new Panzer III to roll off the assembly line before I get get him in the field. My list of leaders is short enough that I will include it in the next update.

This is an excellent AAR, can't wait for the next instalment :)

Welcome, and thanks!

I did it myself last night. Brilliant, very good entertainment to see a tiny country with half of Europe as his puppets. One difference in my campaign however is that I never receive units from my slaves and ally. Something I need to do so they spam me with units? Because I want to annex Yugoslavia too, hehe.

I did it myself last night. Brilliant, very good entertainment to see a tiny country with half of Europe as his puppets. One difference in my campaign however is that I never receive units from my slaves and ally. Something I need to do so they spam me with units? Because I want to annex Yugoslavia too, hehe.

Yes, I have Tirane set as an objective for everyone. It is no guarantee, but it is helpful. If an AI has no path to an enemy except via an ally, it will sometimes just dump its troops on that ally without being asked, but that is also no guarantee.

Yes, I have Tirane set as an objective for everyone. It is no guarantee, but it is helpful. If an AI has no path to an enemy except via an ally, it will sometimes just dump its troops on that ally without being asked, but that is also no guarantee.

Not sure I follow what this means...I'm new to FtM and haven't figured out the theaters tab at all, among other things.

Kyrion, select a region and then press the bottom right arrow -> hidden in a tiny grey square. Then select all your allies/puppets and hope they stack up troops there and decide to donate them to you.

Did that and it worked, even took on Yugoslavia but got some pretty ugly borders when Romania joined the party.. Only need a way to fix those borders.. Can I let Yugoslavia surrender on some way so I get all their pretty land and don't have to share it? Would make Zog very happy.

Hmm, made a screenshot but is not appearing. Shame.