• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

swippy

Major
80 Badges
Feb 4, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
Kings of the North - an AH Finnish Mega Campaign

kingsofthenorthlp8ns5.jpg

Inspired by thrashing mad's excellent History of the White Eagle, the recent Grand History of Croatia by CountArach, and JMJ's Finlandia Universalis I've decided to start my own Mega Campaign.

Being the nationalist I am, the AAR is based on a what-if scenario: what if the Finns managed to unite under a strong King and proclaim a Kingdom of Finland? Another change in history is the fact that the various Finno-Ugric tribes of modern Russia were more successful in fighting the advance of East Slavs, and like the Finns organized under a strong King.

This is of course very ambitious project so I most likely wont get to the end but we'll see. Being a new writer with only one AAR under my belt my lack of experience may show in the writing and I will probably make some mistakes and such.

I'm playing with latest betapatch and selfmodified version of DVIP.

Last edited:
I second comagoosie, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this. :) One is not a real AARlander until one's tried on a mega campaign! :D Best of luck.

kalevala3ws4.jpg

The Finnish Tribes

finnishtribesac0.jpg

The first people who can be distinguished as Finno-Ugric arrived in the area of modern Finland and Estonia as early as 8500BC, living as simple hunter-gatherers with limited farming. Close links with Scandinavia and Germanic influence ensured that things like bronze- and ironworking became common knowledge.

These people were divided into several recognisable tribes, who however shared similiar languages.

Tavastians
Tavastians lived in Southern and Central Finland, in Nyland and Tavastland. Tavastians are stereotypically seen as rather slow, quiet but stubborn. The name Tavastian comes from Swedish and it has been joked that it translates from "dumb Estonians" Even still, they were perhaps the most warlike of the Finnish tribes and they worshipped Tursas, the Tavastian god of war.

Finns
The Finns, also called Proper Finns, lived in the South Western corner of Finland. They had the closest links with Scandinavia and rest of the world, being close to the Baltic Sea, and probably were the most urbanized of the Finnish tribes. They were however outshadowed by bigger tribes such as Tavastians and Karelians.

Karelians
Karelia is often seen as the birthplace of Finnish culture. Karelians were probably the biggest Finnish tribe and also the most powerful. They often contested with Tavastians, their biggest rivals. Karelians are often seen as passionate and merry.

Kvens
According to Viking Sagas, the Kvens formed the first legendary Kingdom of Finland and battled with the Norse in several wars. However, not much of them is known, only that they often contest with the Sami in Lappland, Northern Finland. They are mostly hunter-gathers and not interested in other's affairs.

Savonians
Savonians were divided into two groups; hunter-gathers descended from the Sami, and the newcomers from west, perhaps originally Tavastians who introduced farming. Savonians were also heavily influenced by Karelians, and they often allied with them against the Tavastians. Savonians have an unique dialect and culture, and are often seen strange by other Finnish tribes.

Votes and Ingrians
Votes and Ingrians inhabited the Karelian Isthmus, a narrow track of land between the Baltic Sea and Lake Ladoga. They are closely related to Veps who live farther east. Votes are much like Proper Finns, closely affliated with the sea and Ingrians are often seen as peace loving folk.

Veps
Veps lived in modern North Western Russia, in the area around Novgorod. Veps were the link between West and East, and the city of Novgorod was a major center of trade. Because of this, Veps were often under foreign rule, first under Karelians, then under the Varangians and finally the Mordvins. They battled together with Mordvins against the Slavs in 9th century but were however invaded by Varangians, and the Varangian Rurik set up a Kingdom that consisted much of modern Russia. Rurik's successors were however exiled from Novgorod by Mordvin King Malyaka in 912 and Veps became to be ruled under the Mordvinians.

Estonians
Estonians are much like Votes and Finns, living in cities near the sea. Estonians were probably the most German influenced of the Finnish Tribes and the most advanced aswell. They have been traditionally very friendly with their southern neightbours Livonians and Balts. The broken links with other Finnish tribes have made Estonian language and culture beginning to separate from the others.

Livonians
Livonians always lived together with their Baltic neightbours; there are even traces of Livonians living in Kurland. Livonians are most closely related to Estonians.

Sami
Samis, the nomads of the North, have always been wandering hunter-gatherers. The separation of Finnish people and Sami happened very long time ago and the Sami language is almost completely unintelligible to the Finns. Sami are also known for their reindeer herding. This, and the fact that they live in the wilderness out of the way of others, are the reason why they are the most unique of all Finnish tribes.

Permians
Permians, also called Komi, are much like Sami, living as nomads in the north and practising reindeer herding. Their language is however much different from those of Mordvinian and Finnic languages, resembling the Sami languages more. Permians occupy a large area in Northern Russia, strecthing all the way to the Urals and even beyond. The Vikings knew of the Permians and the area where Permians lived was called Bjarmia. The western Permians who came into touch with the Vikings established their own state called the Great Perm and were known for their wealth which was gained from the profitable trading along the main rivers in Northern Russia.

Last edited:
Very good summary, gives you a good picture of the situation in Finland. How history-based is it, or is it merely fiction?

Good to have an historical background, good luck and I'll be following this

comagoosie said:
Good to know the history of the finns. All these ethnic groups are bound to become a problem :D

There's many, many more of them (or much, don't know which one is the correct word here), you can just see the most western ones in this picture. ;)

Will be following, good luck in creating the Suur-Suomi (or Greater Ural? Maybe it's time to bring our Hungarian cousins into a union :p).

purgazeb7.jpg

The Mordvin Tribes

mordvintribesda6.jpg

When the Finns headed west, the Mordvins stayed East. Like Finns, the Mordvins are split into several tribes. For much of Mordvins' history, the river of Volga has been a very important travel- and tradeway. Mordvins have been spared from much of foreign contact, until only recently. A major threat to the Mordvins was the Slavic migration in the 8-11th centuries, which threatened to push them away from their lands by the warlike and organized Slavs. This was however avoided when the Mordvins formed a tribal union and an alliance with Turkic people, and defeated the Slavs in several wars. Soon after, the Varangians arrived and Rurik established the city of Novgorod and became the leader of the Mordvins in 863, uniting the Kievan Rus and the Mordvins temporarily. All of this increased the sense of unity between the Mordvins, and Rurik's successors, led by Oleg, were exiled by Mordvin Prince Malyaka in 912. Malyaka took Rurik's place as leader, and established the Kingdom of the Mordvins independent from Kiev and his successors were to keep Mordvins' their independence from foreign powers.

Mordvinians
Mordvinians are the largest Mordvin Tribe, living by the southern branch of Volga. Mordvinians are the most organized of the tribes, and also the most advanced, and many Mordvin Kings such as Tyushtya (4th century) and Malyaka (10th century) have come from their ranks. Mordvinians have traditionally kept good relations with their Eastern neighbours, the Volga Bulgars who taught them to fight on horseback. The Mordvinians are the only group of Finno-Ugrics who tend not to live in forested or tundraic areas; they prefer the steppe plains of Southern Russia. They are divided into two groups; the Moksha and Erzya, separated by some mild differences in the language.

Mari
The Mari, also known as Cheremis lived along the northern branch of Volga. They were closely related to Mordvinians. Mari are divided into two groups; The Meadow Mari, living by the river and practising farming and the Mountain Mari, living in the hills as nomads.

Merya
Merya, much like the Veps, have been at cross-points between West and East. They tended to live peacefully but protecting their lands against foreign invaders and they were known to be adept in fighting in forests, setting traps and ambushes.

Muromians
Muroms were the most warlike of the Mordvin tribes. Originally, Muromians were a very small Mordvinian tribe, but under their great warrior King Kizhaya expanded on the expense of other Mordvin tribes in the 7th century. The arrival of the Slavs forced them however to ally with the other tribes.

Meschera
Not much is known of mysterious Mescheras, the smallest of the Mordvin tribes. They lived in the swamplands of Russia, practising hunting, fishing and beekeeping. They lived off the way others and such have spared them from much of foreign contact. They were the first to feel the threat of the Slavs and they requested help from other Mordvin tribes.

Last edited:
time for some replies:

comagoosie: welcome aboard

Snugglie: thank you! luck and determination is what I need :)

Force Change: mega campaigns are the Kings of AARs :) Yeah, even though the Varangian Kingdom was rather short lived in this timeline :p

asd21593: thank you!

Carvajal: Kiitos (thank you)!

Snugglie: Well it's not entirely historical, I made some stuff up. IRL the Finns werent anywhere as organized as this, but the tribes and groups are almost completely accurate, though there were lots of much smaller ones aswell.

kadvael56: yes, I will start as pagan but I plan to convert to Christianity (gotta think which to pick, Orthodoxy or Catholic) at some point, perhaps in 1300s or so.

comagoosie: it's not gonna be that tough, in the game there are just two cultures, Finnish and Mordvin. Mordvins also start with a huge Kingdom (I might've made them too powerful but I was too lazy to mod the balance so much)

Capibara: thank you and welcome!

Kazmir: Suur-Suomi is too small ;) Greater Ural sounds better hehe

In the next update I will post culture and political maps of 1066. I also now ask you which tribe I should pick to play. I wont play as Mordvins since I want to unite Finland. I've decided to play either as Tavastians, Karelians or Estonians, since they all start with two provinces.

Last edited:
I'd say go for Orthodoxy, that would have most likely became the religion of Finland hadn't the Swedes managed to take control of us and convert us to Catholicism. Orthodoxy was spreading in the east already when the Swedes came.

Kazmir said:
I'd say go for Orthodoxy, that would have most likely became the religion of Finland hadn't the Swedes managed to take control of us and convert us to Catholicism. Orthodoxy was spreading in the east already when the Swedes came.
Quite, it would be the most logical. Not to mention that in that case he can take up the battle for the Orthodox crown with the Russians and the Byzantines. :D