• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TreizeV

Colonel
5 Badges
Oct 15, 2002
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
smallertitlevo82dk1.jpg

Introduction​

Alexandros knew. He knew the key to his empire lay in Babylonia, not Makedonia. After his death, my father, Seleukos Nicator, fought his former comrades, the other generals of Alexander in the wars of the Diadochi. After his rivals laid waste to much of Mesopotamia, my father fought to regain Babylon for himself. In return, the city welcomed him with open arms and great joy. He repaid that generosity, building roads, hospitals, schools and eventually cities. From Babylonia, he forged an empire that stretched to the Persian plains. Taking Susa and Media, until he eventually extended his power to the valley of Indos. Mesopotamia, Armenia, Cappadocia, Persis, Parthia, Bactria, Arabia, Tapouria, Sogdia, Arachosia, Hyrcania, and other adjacent peoples that had been subdued by Alexander were once again brought back to the fold by Seleucus.

Yet my father was not just a great warrior, he was a great builder. Few kings have ever lived with so great a passion for the building of cities. He was reputed to have built in all nine Seleucias, sixteen Antiochs, and six Laodiceas throughout Asia and Europa.

Even though I have lived here all my life. The land never ceases to astonish me with its beauty. Whether it is the frozen mountains of Cappadocia or the boundless deserts of Persis. Babylonia itself is an inspiration for any traveller, and produces wealth in quantities like no other in bread, wine, vinegar, honey, textiles, spices and metals. It is this place that I call home, even if I do call myself a Makedonian, I must remember my mother, who links our family to the royal line of Cyrus and Darius the Great. And Alexander's dream, of using a strong infantry of both Persian and Makedonian blood. It is a tradition we carry on to this day.

My father’s successes though, ultimately had drawn the envy of his neighbours. The powerful Ptolemaic kingdom to our southwest, and the ‘kings’ of Macedon who grow jealous of our power, of the fact that we were the closest to achieving the goals of Alexandros Megas. Ultimately they took advantage of his generosity as king, and had him assassinated by the most cowardly means.

As king, and master of an empire that stretches from the shores of the Aigaion to the borders of the Indos itself, i will hold together my father's glorious gains. I trust in the wisdom of the Achaemenid advisors, and our greek ancestors, to continue to guide me and my army to further greatness. For I know this, Babylonia is still the key, even now, to the greatest empire in the world.

entry1.jpg

The Hellenistic World - Jan 1, 474 AVC

Last edited:
Woohoos, a new rome aar! :D

I shall follow!!!

So Babylon tries to remain as the center of the world?

Btw, haven't you registered your game? :confused:

Antiochus I
Encampment in Media, January 1, 474 AVC​
It has only been a year since I’ve been crowned king, and already my expedition into Asia is nearing its end. I have ordered treaties of trade to be drafted between my kingdom and the peoples of the Indus, along with a military expedition to the tribes of Sogdiana and Parthia. With war imminent with the Ptolemies, I feel it is vital to secure the allegiance of the eastern tribes, lest we get caught in a two front war. Travel through the deserts, steppes and forests of Persia and India is difficult. Aside from the harsh terrain, the royal road and trade routes have fallen into disrepair because of endless war. My first business is to settle this, and already I have issued edicts for grains, spices, stones, and precious metals to be traded between the provinces of my empire, to ensure the flow of goods and communication. The Ptolemies have no doubt taken advantage of my absence from the west, so I must hasten forth before they can act.

Seleucid2.jpg

The heart of the empire

Babylon, May 30, 474 AVC

I arrive into my capital not a moment too soon. Word has reached me from the western outposts that Ptolemy is launching an attack into Syria. The first Syrian war has begun. The people greet me apprehensively, although they loved my father, I have yet to prove myself worthy to their eyes. That will change soon enough.

VI-116.jpg

The gates of babylon

At this point, I give orders to my chief Strategos to assemble the main armies at Antioch. In all, over forty thousand men are mobilized from the military settlements, along with father's famous silver shield guard. I will place my trust in their abilities for the coming battles. Before I take leave, I pay visit to my wife Stratonice and our young son Antiochus, who is but nine years old this year.

My good friend, Nicocrates Omirid informs me that preparations for the fleet are ready. I make him high admiral on the spot, in charge of our mighty fleet of a hundred ships. Before he departs for his campaign in Cyprus we discuss about his journeys to the west. Specifically the growing power of Carthage and the chaos in Greece. The Antigonids rule in Macedon now, but they have let their power become lax over time, allowing the Greek cities to form their own leagues and alliances. This shall prove useful to us in the future. He also brought news of Pyrrhus and his campaign against the Romans. Being an ally of my father in the past, I gave his messenger my blessings and a prayer to the gods for his swift victory.

Seleucid3.jpg

The Western Med and the start of the Pyrrhic war

Before we set off for war, I issue my final edicts to the empire. This will surely bring our empire to the path once envisioned by Alexander.

Seleucid6.jpg

Seleucid5.jpg

Seleucid4.jpg

Phoenicia, July 3, 474 AVC

Seleucid0.jpg

First blood

Although the army has yet to fully assemble, I launch my attack into Phoenicia to relieve the starving garrison. The Ptolemaic general is Lydiadas Galestid, a veteran warrior of much repute and respected throughout all Macedonian circles. Although he skillfully made use of his Phalanxes to hold back our superior numbers, our proficiency in cavalry, an arm the Ptolemies had mysteriously neglected, helped us carry the day. Leading our right flank squadrons of Heteiroi past his infantry to attack his main camp, Lydiadas decided to break off the action with minimal casualties to both of us.

Seleucid9.jpg

It was a good start to the campaign. I also received this letter from Nicocrates later that night.

"Strategos Nicocrates to the great Basileus Antiochus

Greetings my king and friend, I am writing to tell you of a great victory we have attained off the coast of Cyprus near Salamis. In total we have engaged fifty of the enemy craft, and sunk at least twenty of their numbers. Although the Ptolemies still have a greater fleet, rest assured that within a year or two we will be strong enough to carry our spears into Cyprus.

Your most Loyal Servant,

Nicocrates Omirid"

He is showing great promise a naval commander, perhaps even on the level of Themistocles or Lysander! He will prove most useful to me before this war is over.

Seleucid8.jpg

Besieging Judea, September 9, 474 AVC​

With the Ptolemies in retreat, my men have begun the process of investing the great fortress cities of Judea. It is heavily fortified, more so than my own border provinces. This region will make a welcome addition to my kingdom, for it holds the key to all the southern approaches to Egypt and offers a strategic point for my armies to attack and defend with.

I also received a word from Strategos Eudoridas Omirid, brother of Nicocrates in Anatolia. The Ptolemies have managed to slip past Nicocrate's fleet and land in Lycia with three thousand men. They will not get far, for I have appointed Eudoridas with a command of fourteen thousand souls to stop them. Most of them will be wiped out in the Cappadocian mountains by winter.

Some of my generals at this point, see fit to throw their praises at me for my skills with the cavalry.

Seleucid10.jpg

Besieging Judea, January 25, 475 AVC

Word has arrived in camp that Strategos Metrophanes has landed with our forces in Cyprus. A mere 1,000 man garrison are all that stands between me and control of the seas.

I've also received word from another good companion of mine, Sophocles Xenonid, who is arriving with reinforcements of up to 21,000 men. Combined with my army, that brings the total up to 37,000 once we link up. I also sent summons to my commanders in India to bring forth our elephant corps, though I doubt we shall see them in this year or the next.

This damned siege cannot last much longer, I've lost too many men and much time in the winter. I finally order my elite silver shields to form ranks and attack the minute the first breach was made. After a fierce battle, the entire garrison was put to the sword, such is the price paid for defiance.

Seleucid11.jpg

Judea, August 10, 475 AVC

Just as expected from my high admiral! I receive another message from Nicocrates today, who had fought three separate battles against Ptolemies fleet and sunk over sixty of the enemy ships. I had expected more from Ptolemy. Instead of using his numbers to crush us, he spreads them out across the shores of Asia hoping to cripple us economically with a blockade! It is a fitting mindset for them, just as they are concerned with wealth and pleasures in peace, the Ptolemies see fit to attack only wealth in war, not the substance of our troops.

Judea-Sinai border, October, 475 AVC

51nv3cz4llss400wt0.jpg

With Judea quieted, Word has arrived that Lydiadas has gathered a new army to oppose me, this time outnumbering my own. Sophocles is still slow in joining with his troops, but I make the order to attack anyway. Such is the faith in my father's troops. My father had always warned me the story of Demetrius the besieger, about how he attacked too far in a fit of rashness, and left his father's own army to die along with their dreams of uniting the empire. I am resolved that this will not happen to me.

Sinai, October, 475 AVC

The weather in this country is inhospitable and barren, whenever I travel through it, my admiration for Alexandros Megas increases with each step, for he took an army through lands a thousand times larger than this, even with the dangers. I've had many of my men and horses die from thirst and heat alone. This time, I am facing the core of the main Ptolemaic army, including the vaunted Pharoah's guards. The battle was fierce and desperate. I sent my Pezhetairoi down the centre to meet their Phalanx, while the enemy this time brought elephants into the fight! They wheeled around my right flank, frightening the horses and men, trampling many more into the Earth. This was potentially fatal for my Phalanx had I not distracted their attention with my light Peltasts and archers. Eventaully, the elephants were driven into a panic and their formation broken. Praise Ares that they did not possess cavalry this day. While I do not doubt the quality of Lydiadas' troops, I question the lack of cavalry the man keeps, especially against our heavy cavalry and horse archers. How many times must I defeat this man to show him the true value of a mounted warrior? No matter, the only thing better than a prideful enemy is a stupid enemy. Still, it was our bloodiest battle yet, a testament to the Ptolemaic soldier.

Seleucid12.jpg

Encamped at Sinai, December 15, 475 AVC

Winter has arrived, and the men are in their quarters while the siege goes on. Word of our first major victory against the Egyptian upstart had lowered the morale of the surrounding garrisons. Men were beginning to desert in the Sinai, while I received word from Metrophanes that the siege of Cyprus is almost at an end and that his men were readying the assault, all praise to Zeus!

Encampment west of Sinai, April 16, 476 AVC

My scouts once again, report tremendous activity from the Ptolemies. It does not surprise me since we are so close to their capital, the city of Alexandreia. Ptolemy once again entrusts the fool Lydiadas for his salvation. I regret the chance to not meet him in battle but I shall emerge victorious nonetheless. I expect the next battle to vastly exceed what we have seen so far. With only 14,000 men at hand, the Ptolemies sense my weakness as are sending their main army of 30,000 at hand into the Sinai. I send orders to Sophocles to proceed with all haste! Alone I cannot win, but with his fresh troops we have what it takes to capture Alexandria!

action5xq5.jpg

Bloodied and exhausted, the men of the Silver Shields wait with vigilance for their comrades

Encampment west of Sinai, April 16, 476 AVC

OasisinLibya.jpg

I make a final review of the troops before the battle, and I find them all adequate. Their sarissas and swords are sharper than ever, their armor polished, and their eyes focused and intense. No finer troop has ever existed on this earth since Alexander Megas!

My cavalry, the magnificent companions too have shown themselves worthy of being heirs of Alexander. Time and again, they had saved my army from destruction while sending many of the enemy to hades.

It was then that I spotted him, gleaming over on the Horizon like some brilliant light. The sun shone fiercely off of his golden chest plate, but even before we exchanged words, I recognized the banner of Strategos Sophocles anywhere.

"Hail King Antiochus, I have come with the troops you have requested, and news from Strategos Metaphanes as well. Cyprus has fallen, and the we have defeated Ptolemy in a sea battle as well."

I nodded, a broad smile on my face as I've heard. Within two years, my fleet has now gained command of the seas. "Hail to you likewise my friend. By Zeus! This is good news."

"What are you next plans sire? Do you wish to proceed onto the attack? Combined, we now outnumber the enemy by at least ten thousand."

I stroke my chin in contemplation. While it was true most of my men had arrived. The armored elephants I had requested from Parthia and Indos over a year ago had yet arrived.

"The enemy is already marching toward us with great haste. I see no reason why we cannot sit and wait, especially since they have to tire themselves out crossing a river. No, we shall wait here and fortify our position. Post stakes and obstacles to impede their elephants, while our cavalry and infantry get use to the ground."

"There were rumors my king, that one of your elephant corps was attacked by Arab tribesmen as they tried to cross the great desert road. They will not be forthcoming soon." Sophocles reminded me gently.

"No matter. As fearsome as they are, I have learned from my battles with my father to not rely on them entirely. A lesson which our Ptolemaic friends have yet to learn. I will show them their folly."

My friend nods in agreement. "I also hear that Ptolemy is contemplating arming the native Egyptian Machimoi into their own Phalanx formation. Doubtless he thinks raw numbers will suffice for us."

"Do not be so quick to underestimate the Egyptians Sophocles. After all, do we not ourselves deploy Persian Cavalry? Galatian Swordsmen and Syrian archers? A man fights with more spirit when its in defense of his homeland."

"Nevertheless, he will fall before us my king, with you at our command." The General stresses loyally.

"I am pleased by your praise my friend, but it will be you who will command the right wing today. The post of honor. I know that I have left your men out of this campaign since the beginning, it is time for you to play your part as well."

"My king, I am deeply honored. Thank you for this opportunity." Sophocles bowed.

"You have earned it my friend, now take heed. This battle will decide the outcome of the entire campaign. May Zeus and Victory be with you."

"And Alexander as well my king." With that, Sophocles galloped off.

The Battle of Sinai, July 8, 476 AVC​

The Ptolemies have finally gathered their main strength here, roughly thirty thousand men against our forty. We were fortunate in the fact that Ptolemy had decided to waste three thousand of his men in Asia minor and another six thousand guarding his capital. It is hard to believe that this man is the son of Ptolemy the savior, for once again, instead of him leading the troops, it is Lydiadas again.

Sophocles too, notices with disdain the heavy focus on elephants and heavy troops the enemy has adopted, with absolutely no cavalry coverage. We shall show him his mistake.

Seleucid13.jpg

This time, with our joined armies, we have the main advantage in not only cavalry, but in heavy infantry and archers. The latter took a horrible toll on the Ptolemaic elephants as they fired burning arrows into their rough hides. My phalanxes met with Lydiadas' in the centre, while his skirmishers attempted to harass my flanks. But here, the lack of cavalry on the Egyptian side proved fatal, and Sophocles sent his companion heavy cavalry and horse archers to scatter the enemy militia and skirmishers. Almost a third of their army was gone. With the elephants panicked and the light infantry gone, the full force of my army fell upon the enemy's heavy infantry, which too, broke under the strain.

It was a complete victory, truly worthy of the days of Alexander. Over three thousand of the enemy lay dead on the field, and another seven thousand would desert from Ptolemy's ranks soon after.

Seleucid14.jpg

The road to Alexandreia is clear.

Besieging Alexandreia, November 18, 476 AVC​

With Lydiadas in retreat, and with our command of the seas. I've decided to beat him back to his master. Ever since the fall of Cyprus, I've given orders to the Tyrians and Phoenician cities to continue construction of a fleet. Now we possess almost two hundred ships with which to carry our troops across. With my cavalry marching over to Alexandreia, I load up my infantry to the ships and travel to the shores of the great capital.

It was here, where once again, that fool Lydiadas challenged me, not once, but twice!

Seleucid16.jpg

Seleucid17.jpg

I order Sophocles to invest the city while I dealt with any external threats. But with the disorder Lydiadas’ army is in, I can safely assume that no assault will be forthcoming for the next few months. Time enough, perhaps, to force a surrender.

Last edited:
Wow.

The best rome aar so far! :D

Total War?

I shall try seleucids soon.... :p

Babylon... the eternal city, I hope.

Diadochi wars continued?

'To the strongest!' :rolleyes:

And it seems to be the Seleucid Empire.

But how long shall Phalanx rule the fields of battles?

Antiochus I is most excellently proving his worth, the people will come to love him in no time.

You might of thought that the egyptians would of used cavalry once they got beaten so many times by it.

A most excellent beginning my friend, with your usual quality.

Antiochus I (Part II)

Outside the walls of Alexandria December 5, 477 AVC​
Preparations for the siege have been flawless. Our camp has surrounded Alexandria proper, and my scouts have made contact with men from the ships of Nicocrates. Supplies from Phoenicia flow steadily into the camp, and the men are confident about their exploits of last year. The army is abundantly supplied for every eventuality and the new regiments I had requested from India have arrived. At last, we have war elephants to match Ptolemy’s own, a pity that all the field battles have been fought, for I would have liked to make use of these beasts again, as my father did at the great battle of Ipsus.

A messenger from Metrophanes arrives in my camp from Syria, warning me of a barbarian incursion into our lands from Arabia. Wild and fierce were the words my father attributed to the men of Arabia. I immediately send word for Metrophanes and seven thousand of his men to intercept.

Seleucid18.jpg

Outside the walls of Alexandria February 22, 477 AVC​
The final breach has been made in Alexandria’s walls. For the last few months I’ve kept the men constantly busy. Digging trenches and constructing hundreds of siege weapons which would enable me to take the city. An army always needs something grand to capture their imagination, and what can be grander than this? We, possessing Alexander’s jewel in the Mediteranean, his final resting place that bears his name like a medal on the Earth. The work also serves to shut the Malcontents up, for they have been stirring the camp lately.

The Egyptians have been cut off from the outside world for over three months, and I can feel Ptolemy’s army nearing its end.

I did not have to wait long.

Seleucid19.jpg

Alexandria, Spring 477 AVC

Alexander was wise in choosing the site of his city. For miles I see the great masts of merchant ships, boundless acres of farmland, great canals, irrigation and other works of man. It is also the first time I have laid eyes on the mighty Nile, a river which serves as the lifeblood of Egypt. It is no mystery to me why the people of this ancient land have worshipped it, for it holds the very essence of life in this otherwise barren wasteland. The farmlands and cities along the river are rich and bountiful, rivaling even those of the Tigris or Euphrates in Babylonia. I can see, now, Ptolemy’s attraction for this place.

I give specific orders to the men, no shrine is to be defiled, no citizen to be abused, and no property, save for the slaves, to be confiscated. My troops follow my example and behave themselves accordingly. The locals watch in awe as our regiments of heavy infantry and cavalry make their way through the city streets.

Leaving the administration of the city, and the distribution of the spoils of victory to my trusted Strategos Sophocles I spend the rest of the day visiting the tomb of Alexander Megas. While I find it distasteful to discover Ptolemy’s body entombed next to the great king, I nevertheless paid my respects to the man who had been a great friend and enemy to my father. My advisors and friends want me to move the body to the great king’s original capital in Babylon itself, but doing so would have caused an instant revolt in our occupied lands. No, the time is not yet right for such an act. I shall be generous this time, to repay Ptolemy for the generosity he showed to my father when he was beaten out of his kingdom by Antigonus. I too, have my honor.

2004_alexander_215.jpg

The courtiers have left the chamber room, having made sure that the tables were adequately covered with servings of wine, meat, honey, and other exotic foods from Egypt. Though we are to be left alone, I know that outside the antechamber, a hundred hand picked guards from both our elite corps stands at guard. Yet for the moment, I get to see Ptolemy II for the first time. He seems strong enough, and composes himself with dignity even knowing that his kingdom is within my hands. It is a strange feeling seeing the man, knowing that we are carrying on the feud that was passed down onto us by our fathers. And though I was taught at a young age to distrust the Ptolemies, I nevertheless feel a sense of regret that I would be trapped by such a fate, to forever fight this man whom I have never met. Doubtless he feels worse, for I know I would were I in his position.

Though Alexander and Cyrus taught us that the purpose of victory is to prove ourselves more generous in gifts than the enemy, I feel no amount of generosity will undo the hatred this man must feel for me now.

"So my dear Antiochus, you have traveled so far and toiled with both heat and sand. Is that how much you wish to see Alexandria in person?” He said coldly.

“Indeed dear brother, and it has far surpassed my expectations. Your father was wise in his choice for deciding upon Egypt as his kingdom.” I ignore the snide remark, for I am here to make peace, not incite a future war. “You won’t mind, of course. If we proceed to the negotiations?”

“For once, we are in agreement.” Ptolemy replies, “Before we do, I must address the matter of the spoils. For during the siege, I have taken notice that your army has come into possession of my royal treasury, my family and my personal effects. For each of these, I will gladly trade away any city and province to your liking.”

I shake my head, “Your family, friends, and possessions shall be returned to you my good Ptolemy, you need not worry about their safety. This struggle we are engaged in is not one of life or death, but of honor and power. You need not offer concessions for their safe return.”

The King looks shocked at my generous gesture, but accepts it anyways. We must always prove ourselves more generous than our enemies, in the words of Alexander.

“Permit me to say, King Antiochus, that I do not wish to remain long in your debt.”

I laugh at that remark. “I pray to the gods then, that you will not be in a position to repay me in a similar fashion!”

Ptolemy clears his throat. “Well then, with that out of the way, what do you wish to discuss.”

I nodded quietly, running my fingers on the smooth marble tables in the room. “There are many advisors who tell me that I should dethrone you, and take Egypt for myself.”

“Why not then?” Ptolemy asks rather bravely. I admire his defiance, even in defeat. “Surely any general before would jump at the chance.” I see he has already read my mind.

“As tempting as it is, no. This struggle was mainly to protect my father’s legacy, to make his kingdom secure.”

“From me no doubt.” Ptolemy remarked.

“True, yet we must not forget that we are all of Macedonian descent here. There is no profit to be made in spilling our blood needlessly. Especially when we have the Romans and Carthaginians to deal with, not to mention the multitude of nationalities we have to rule. Let us not waste Macedonian livesand leadership in senseless wars with one another as the Greeks had done. It had led to their downfall.” I know the histories quite well. Some say that the Greeks of the past would have cheered Alexander and my countrymen for conquering Persia. I would think the opposite is true. They would be weeping for having left this honor for Alexander and his Macedonians, instead they chose to waste their best soldiers and generals on the battlefields of Leuctra, Corinth and Arcadia against one another.

“You speak of unity fifty years too late brother. The dreams of empire are dead.” Ptolemy replies.

“Indeed, it died the day our fathers won at Ipsus and carved themselves the kingdoms we rule today. So I propose this. I evacuate Alexandria and the Sinai fortresses, but Judea and Cyprus will remain under my control. Though your fleet is in shambles, I still left you with an army intact. You may have Egypt and your wealth Ptolemy, I am going to continue my father’s and Alexander’s dreams of a unified people in Asia.”

“Not like I have much of a choice in this matter do I?” Ptolemy says gravely.

I shake my head. “No, if you do not comply, then I will have no choice but to follow my advisor’s wills. And I can make no guarantees after that.”

Ptolemy contemplates for a moment, deep in thought, then suddenly turns to me and replies. “Very well Antiochus, we have a deal.”

I motion to shake his hand, he accepts. “Hail to you Ptolemy, may this be the start of a new era in our common history.”

Seleucid20.jpg

With this victory, I have accomplished two goals. One, I have secured the mountain fortresses of Judea and my father's previous claim for ruling Syria. This also provides A strong barrier against any invasion by the Ptolemies.

Secondly, I have obtained Cyprus. Securing the entire coastline of the empire against the Ptolemaic invasion fleet, as well as capturing Ptolemy's main naval base in the north. My fleet now swells to over two hundred ships following this war, both from captured vessels and newly constructed ones from Ptolemy's shipyards. My kingdom's domination of the Eastern Mediteranean is all but assured. We may in time, even surpass Carthage in naval power and influence of the seas!

Babylon, November 477 AVC

2004_alexander_500.jpg

My hearts warms at the sight of home. Already, crowds of my citizens have gathered in the streets, celebrating the end of the Syrian wars. I see husbands reunite with wives, fathers with their sons, or vice versa. My phalanx is flanked on both sides by the adoring people, who took it upon themselves to throw a festival in honour of my victory over Ptolemy. In commemoration of this, I've ratified the various treaties engaged between the towns of Babylon and I, granting them privileges such as freedom of religious worship and assembly, such is the custom of the old Babylonian kings. For Judea, my new province, I grant the people of Jerusalem their own charter, respecting their ancient religion and guaranteeing their old rights, something Ptolemy had neglected to do in my stead.

Sophocles, though quite satisfied with the conduct of our men, poses me a question as we ride our horses in front of the procession.

"My lord, though I do not question the outcome of the treaty you made, I do profess at being curious. Why did we not simply take Egypt for ourselves and dispose of Ptolemy? Ending our decades long war with them?"

It is a fair question, one that I myself had struggled with on campaign. "Sometimes my friend, it is more important to win morally than militarily. We have a victory that broke our foe’s hearts, and stopped him from ever contesting Syria with us again. If we had moved upon Egypt, to take her as a whole, Ptolemy would have little trouble mobilizing the whole Egyptian people against us. And that is a scenario I do not wish, to fight war upon war with them until both our kingdoms are ruined. Do not be fooled by our swelled ranks, we lost almost twenty thousand of our men advancing from Syria to Alexandria, how many more would we sacrifice if we were to conquer the upper nile? I would not sacrifice a whole generation for that impossible goal. Endless conquest invites nothing but inevitable defeat, because conquest itself destroys the hope of the people. That is what the successors have taught us.” I remember the examples of Eumenes, Antigonus, Demetrius and Lysimachus. All great generals who had grasped for too much, and met their own ends.

No, my goal is to make a complete peace, such that its outcome would never be contested and peace will reign for a generation. We are masters of Cyprus and Syria, both the land and the sea, and Ptolemy knows it with his fleet and army in ruins. He cannot strike me, not with my army intact and free to move about as opposed to being trapped in Egypt. Let him sulk, while I attend to more important matters.

“You father’s wisdom is more evident in you day by day sire.” Sophocles compliments me.

I smile. “Enough of this talk my Strategos, let us celebrate the time we have now! Besides, it has been a while since I’ve said hello to my family. I suggest you do the same to yours.”

In celebration of the victory, I distribute gifts to all my friends and relatives, as well as to the great crowds of poor folk who petition me for my aid.

Seleucid24.jpg

Antioch, September 5, 478 AVC

It has been a year since the end of the Syrian war, and already the land is starting to heal. More and more merchants and goods now flow through Syria and the sea lanes of Cyprus, while the rich black soil of Anatolia, Mesopotamia and Persia continue to give us bountiful surpluses. This is the month where i also reaffirm my old treaties of friendship with the kingdom of Pontus up north, and the cities of Western Asia Minor.

Seleucid25.jpg

I receive a message from Metrophanes that the barbarian horde that had surfaced earlier this year have been destroyed. In gratitude for this, I award him the spoils of the battle.

Seleucid21.jpg

Seleucia, November 2, 480 AVC

In our third year of peace, I decided to spend more time training my son Antiochus in the arts of war and governance. Already he is 12, and I see that he is growing to become a great athlete. He has already mastered the Persian art of horseback riding, and is learning Macedonian swordplay with his friends. I instruct the philosophers and academics of the day to instruct him, in hopes that they pass onto him the wisdom to run his future kingdom. I am happy to see that he has made many friends despite his status, who will no doubt help him in his future endeavors. I urge my wife to teach him the native Persian tongue, for it will prove invaluable in his governance of the famed Persian noble cavalry we have at our disposal.

Seleucia, Febuary 21, 481 AVC
All is quiet from Ptolemy, who is no doubt licking his wounds. I receive reports from Nicocrates that our fleet has now surpassed over three hundred ships! A mighty number that would equal that of Athens and Egypt combined. It is a great day indeed for our kingdom.

More curious news arrive from the west in the form of my envoys to Pyrrhus. The great Pyrrhic war has ended, with a complete defeat for the Greeks of Magna Graecia and the annexation of the Kingdom of Syracuse. It is a stunning reversal, for my advisors had always believed Pyrrhus represented the epitome of Macedonian generalship in arms. His phalanxes have had a reputation of invincibility throughout Greece. Apparently, I am told that he had won most of his battles, only to fall short when the Romans continually raised more men, while he could not make good his losses.

It is disturbing news indeed, perhaps there is a new power that I must take into calculation on top of Carthage, Egypt and Greece. Perhaps that of Rome.

Seleucid27.jpg

My envoy also tells of an interesting tale, of how the Romans were on the verge of surrendering were it not for a man known as Appius Claudius. An old man who was too old and blind to serve in the senate but yet shamed the senate in a rousing speech to continue the war.

Despite our opposing agendas, I would have very much liked to meet the man.

In any case, my kingdom has recovered enough. I now take my eyes off the West and focus on a prize closer at hand.

The Kingdom of Armenia.

Seleucid22.jpg

The New Empire, 481 AVC

Last edited:
Enewald I made a slight mistake, as important as Babylon is, Seleucia is the capital of the empire :p not that the city isn't just as eternal of course hehe. Rome total war rocks, Diadochi wars won't last long :), and the Phalanx, when properly supplemented with heavy cavalry, is deadly.

comagoosie A mystery in itself, i tried locating the cavalry but I guess the AI must have sent them on a fruitless campaign in Anatolia, or lost them in a sea battle, I crushed those small armies easily enough.

stnylan Thank you my friend :)

Legu Europa Barbarorum, it is a completely different game, much more detailed than RTW and you need literally almost twice as powerful a computer to run it, it really stretches RTW to its limits.

asd21593 Glad to have you aboard!

Berrrie Thank you, hope you enjoy!

I might try Europa Barbarorum, if my little bro decides to download it... I am too lazy. :p

Another excellent chapter, full of 'moral'... :D

Why did you leave the corpse of Alexander in Alexandria?

And you should move your capital to Babylon...

Now that was a canny peace - careful not to over-extend despite his august aspirations. Indeed, I might even say despite the aspirations of Antigonous, though he would probably view that as an insult.

Armenia would be a fitting jewel in the Imperial diadem.

asd21593 Thank you :) Armenia will be a great asset to the empire indeed

Berrrie Yep, i forgot to mention it, but there will be active colonization whenever possible. next update will have some

Enewald Eventually I will move Alexander to babylon..when i get powerful enough to annex Egypt outright eventually...of course that may not be the job Antiochus will have time to do. EB is a fun game, what RTW as cool as it was, that is what RTW should have been. Really lags your computer though if you dont have a fast one

stnylan Indeed, one wonders what Antigonus would have thought about this peace.

comagoosie Ironically yes, I've lost half my manpower just fighting that war with Egypt. Luckily a few omens help with the repopulation. This was always my weakness with paradox games, just running out of manpower =/

Legu Indeed it has, this war even lasts a few years longer :D

I find SPQR a bit better.... EB is too slow and has too many units... and a bit unclear... :wacko:

But shall you attack Armenia as next or some peaceful years?