• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EVGA is much more reputable than Zotac. Nothing wrong with Zotac though.

I agree that EVGA is a more well known brand, but not more "reputable". From what I have seen, EVGA has always been the "bargain" brand that most big-box stores and mom and pop computer shops carry. Zotac mainly just makes "enthusiast" level cards with very high quality components, and yes, they are a bit more expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Now, I am not stating that every Zotac card is as flawless as the one that I have, I can only say with authority that the card I have works fine and is put under a heavy load daily.

EVGA has probably the best warranty of any GPU manufacturer and is considered by many to be the "flagship" Nvidia brand. Nothing against Zotac but I'd say EVGA has a far stronger reputation.

EVGA has probably the best warranty of any GPU manufacturer and is considered by many to be the "flagship" Nvidia brand. Nothing against Zotac but I'd say EVGA has a far stronger reputation.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but we both should be able to agree that any well made video card should not "burn out" even when operating at its upper limits during its expected operational lifetime. Most likely, if a card "burns out" either the card, or something else in the PC is defective.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but we both should be able to agree that any well made video card should not "burn out" even when operating at its upper limits during its expected operational lifetime. Most likely, if a card "burns out" either the card, or something else in the PC is defective.

I have an Asus card, myself. ;) But yes, the idea of the game killing a GPU is absurd. Just saying your perception of EVGA is a little off, or would be considered so by most enthusiasts. You see their cards more often in stores because they're a much bigger and more popular make.

I have an Asus card, myself. ;) But yes, the idea of the game killing a GPU is absurd. Just saying your perception of EVGA is a little off, or would be considered so by most enthusiasts. You see their cards more often in stores because they're a much bigger and more popular make.

Seriously, all the NVIDIA chipsets are the same and all of the cards are probably made at Foxconn in China and the only difference is the logo and whether the RGB filter capacitors are made in Japan or not.

I'm thankful I've EVGA. It died whilst in Battletech. I'll be taking it back to the shop today. thankfully 4 months of its 3 year warranty left.
That's with the 1.01 update and latest Nvidia drivers. Coincidence maybe? I can't say. When it crashed I fired up the game, loaded into a mission, moved a mech and lights out right there.
Probably not even 3 minutes so hard to say the cause. On the flip side the day Battletech was released I played for 6hrs or so without problems.

I've managed to borrow another card, but I won't be trying my luck with Battletech until a new update is released.

I'm thankful I've EVGA. It died whilst in Battletech. I'll be taking it back to the shop today. thankfully 4 months of its 3 year warranty left.
That's with the 1.01 update and latest Nvidia drivers. Coincidence maybe? I can't say. When it crashed I fired up the game, loaded into a mission, moved a mech and lights out right there.
Probably not even 3 minutes so hard to say the cause. On the flip side the day Battletech was released I played for 6hrs or so without problems.

I've managed to borrow another card, but I won't be trying my luck with Battletech until a new update is released.

This....
But yes, the idea of the game killing a GPU is absurd.

Logically I'd agree, but the evidence suggests otherwise.
It seems rather silly to risk it when on a previous occasion my system had rebooted whilst in this particular mission. It's why I waited until a driver update and gave the beta patch a go in the first place.
Later on I'll upload that save in the bug reports section and see if something's going on with it.

The video card has only ever been run at default settings. It's why I got a 980Ti card in the first place, so as it would work without any messing around.

Logically I'd agree, but the evidence suggests otherwise.
It seems rather silly to risk it when on a previous occasion my system had rebooted whilst in this particular mission. It's why I waited until a driver update and gave the beta patch a go in the first place.
Later on I'll upload that save in the bug reports section and see if something's going on with it.

The video card has only ever been run at default settings. It's why I got a 980Ti card in the first place, so as it would work without any messing around.

No risk necessary. Just put up a real-time heat monitor for your gpu in overlay mode and you can have a readout on your screen while you play. If it starts to "get to hot" shut the game down. I run one while I am running the game, have been for days (Not that I have ever seen my card get anywhere near high levels of heat). Also if you turn on vsync it totally fixesthe problem of maxed out GPU utilization during menu screens (as long as you turn it on and then close out of the game and restart it and check that it is still turned on.)

Also, some heat monitoring programs let you schedule an alert when heat gets past a certain level. I'd prefer the screen overlay myself, but if you're the type to get into the combat and forget to glance at it then that might work better.

Also, clean out your case fans, just in case. The GPU fan isn't the only one that matters.

No risk necessary. Just put up a real-time heat monitor for your gpu in overlay mode and you can have a readout on your screen while you play. If it starts to "get to hot" shut the game down. I run one while I am running the game, have been for days (Not that I have ever seen my card get anywhere near high levels of heat). Also if you turn on vsync it totally fixesthe problem of maxed out GPU utilization during menu screens (as long as you turn it on and then close out of the game and restart it and check that it is still turned on.)
Had it not happened to me, I'd have agreed with you. Having two computer restarts and a video card die whilst in a particular mission makes one quite hesitant to jump back in. And yes V-Sync was switched on. I set it in the Nvidia control panel and in the game as well.

When I removed the card I was actually surprised at how dust free it was. I've got a large Corsair tower with fans plenty of fans that I maintain fairly regularly.

Of course it is possible that the video card just decided to call it a day right there and would have died had a fired up Dishonored 2 or some other GPU intensive game instead. I can't go back in time and find out.

Had it not happened to me, I'd have agreed with you. Having two computer restarts and a video card die whilst in a particular mission makes one quite hesitant to jump back in. And yes V-Sync was switched on. I set it in the Nvidia control panel and in the game as well.

When I removed the card I was actually surprised at how dust free it was. I've got a large Corsair tower with fans plenty of fans that I maintain fairly regularly.

Of course it is possible that the video card just decided to call it a day right there and would have died had a fired up Dishonored 2 or some other GPU intensive game instead. I can't go back in time and find out.

The point is if your computer is restarting and your video card is dying and your GPU is not heating up to near max levels, you have another problem with your PC. It very well could be a faulty PSU that is causing your problems (someone had the same problem and posted about it earlier.) and will continue to do it with other games in the future. That is why testing with real data (actual numbers) is so important. If your PSU is starting to go it will end up happening in some game somewhere and it could be far more damaging than you have seen so far. Your computer restarts really lead me to think your PSU may be starting to go.

At the end of the day, the main problem is that there are to many people who game on PC now, who dont know enough of the basics, and for some reason cling to the notion that these reports of " mah fans are loud !" , "my temperature is high!", " my PC is crashing!", "my Gpu died" ..is the direct fault of a game, BT specifically in this case.

Alot dont even understand why they have high GPu usage, saying "but i play such and such game that looks better, why does BT cause my GPu to max out, it doesnt make sence, the game is broken!", not understanding that uncapped frame rates will ofc max out a GPU and has little to do with if a game is more demanding or not.

What makes the issue worse is the fact alot of these people also have no intention on listenening to any advice that doesnt agree with their opinion on the cause.

It would tidy up the forums a great deal if HBS made a sticky thread with some simple facts on the matter and perhaps directed people to tech forums so that they can ask there for help with the problems they have with their PC, becouse again, these issues are not HBS's problem*.

*Yes getitng Vsync to work is their problem, but high heat, loud fans, dieing gpu's is not.

If your a perosn who is of the 'opinion' that such problems are not the fault of the users cooling or other user end problem, and that it is Battletech, then a simply google search online about loud gpu fans, high temperatures and such will direct you to tech forums , youtube vids, and websites. They will all more or less say the same thing..more importantly they all will have no mention of blaming the program in use when such events occure, like games. No they tell you check and sort out hardware, and use software to alter fan profiles and such.

From what I have seen, EVGA has always been the "bargain" brand...
Wow, you're completely out of touch with what company is what. Only ASUS, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and PNY are "authorized board partners" with NVIDIA in 1st world countries. Zotac is only an authorized partner with NVIDIA in 3rd world countries. That alone should tell you how much NVIDIA trusts each company in both manufacturing (or just reb-randing reference models) and distributing.

For the 1080 Ti, ASUS, EVGA, MSI and others are top picks. From that same site Zotac got a bad review for their 1080 Ti. There's a reason why companies like EVGA have better warranties than Zotac, because they know their cards will be reliable enough to justify the warranty time.

yeah exactly. its literally impossible for software to directly shred your hardware. the only possible way is to abuse faulty hardware, so like bringing it to its knees through overheating. When overheating there is normally a safety shutdown at 110°C or so, so the screen turns black, GPU cools down, screen turns back on.

BSOD means that something literally broke because it was faulty in the first place. Had that in Warframe, played 3 years with the same card, and on its final day i could see weird things happening. enemies falling through the floor and whatnot. Shortly after that i got a BSOD since the driver wanted to use something the hardware no longer provided. Without a Graphics Driver i was able to use windows just fine, i just couldnt play anymore until the replacement arrived

Tell that to the Locura ;)

Guys, IMHO this is a pointless argument. Granted, folks who build their own gaming rigs tend to ensure that they have top-notch cooling and appropriate clock frequencies, voltages, etc. However, your average player that buys a pre-built machine or a laptop can't be expected to have a know-how for that. RPM of their GPU fan could be grossly inadequate or overall air flow could be bad, and they may not even realize that something is off until GPU goes south.

Guys, IMHO this is a pointless argument. Granted, folks who build their own gaming rigs tend to ensure that they have top-notch cooling and appropriate clock frequencies, voltages, etc. However, your average player that buys a pre-built machine or a laptop can't be expected to have a know-how for that. RPM of their GPU fan could be grossly inadequate or overall air flow could be bad, and they may not even realize that something is off until GPU goes south.

With respect, i think they can 'be expected to have the know-how'.
If people want pick up and play, with no know-how need, theres console gaming.
PC gaming requires a little know-how, knowing how to monitor FPS, temps, and fan speeds, how to maintain and optimise a PC, and basic trouble shooting ..its all Basic know-how when it comes to PC's.
You dont need to know how to build a PC, but you should be able to maintain it, to understand the simple things like why a 'simple' looking game may max out a GPU while a 'complex' game does not, what to check to figure that out. (Check FPS, if the former is 100+ and the later is locked at 60, there you go)

Its like owning and drivng a car. You dont just learn to drive a car, buy one, and thats it.
You learn some basic 'know-how'. How to refuel it, how to top up the wiper fluid, how to change a tire with ur spare, how to check oil levels. What all the gauges mean, what the warning lights mean, etc. You dont have to be a mechanic, u just learn the basics beyond how to simply drive it.

I have the minimal spec card. The game crushes it, meaning it runs flat out while the game is running. It's not going to cook the card (I redid my airflow and got it to run at a steady 175f, was running at 190f, at rest is 90f).

All that being said, there IS a code issue. Even when the game is sitting on a static screen (not in a battle) the menus, it makes the card run flat out. It should only require max resources during battles, the rest does not justify the GPU usage.

With respect, i think they can 'be expected to have the know-how'.
If people want pick up and play, with no know-how need, theres console gaming.
PC gaming requires a little know-how, knowing how to monitor FPS, temps, and fan speeds, how to maintain and optimise a PC, and basic trouble shooting ..its all Basic know-how when it comes to PC's.
You dont need to know how to build a PC, but you should be able to maintain it, to understand the simple things like why a 'simple' looking game may max out a GPU while a 'complex' game does not, what to check to figure that out. (Check FPS, if the former is 100+ and the later is locked at 60, there you go)

Basic troubleshooting like checking FPS - certainly. Things like monitoring temps and fan speeds are a bit less basic. Especially when virtually no other game causes close to 100% GPU utilization for the card one has, it becomes very easy to miss that something might be overheating. When I started this game for the first time, my first thought was "what the heck is this noise?" - it took me a few minutes to realize that GPU fan kicked into high gear. Normally it stays at about 40 -50% RPM and is completely silent at those speeds. That's with me knowing about fans, temps, and all that stuff. You can't really expect everybody to know how to troubleshoot a situation that frankly is unusual to the extreme.

Its like owning and drivng a car. You dont just learn to drive a car, buy one, and thats it.
You learn some basic 'know-how'. How to refuel it, how to top up the wiper fluid, how to change a tire with ur spare, how to check oil levels. What all the gauges mean, what the warning lights mean, etc. You dont have to be a mechanic, u just learn the basics beyond how to simply drive it.

A whole lot of folks just buy a car and drive it without ever looking under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.