• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And in the true spirit of Europa Universalis, half of the game is an additionally paid DLC.

Heh, true. Although I must say that I understand the logic behind it. Even the standard version has whole lot of stuff and deluxe edition adds new map board and more miniatures, tokens and cards. Deluxe edition is quite expensive and it is a good idea to offer cheaper version for those who are not willing or can't afford to invest 140€ to a game still in development.

Heh, true. Although I must say that I understand the logic behind it. Even the standard version has whole lot of stuff and deluxe edition adds new map board and more miniatures, tokens and cards. Deluxe edition is quite expensive and it is a good idea to offer cheaper version for those who are not willing or can't afford to invest 140€ to a game still in development.

Or if you know that your group is no more than 4 people at a time... My friends and I enjoy Twilight Imperium very much, but it's a problem to get a full group of 6 sometimes. Also, I don't want to say by any means that the game is overpriced, even when considering deluxe edition - 150 bucks for a grand strategy game with a crapload of elements and deep gameplay is pretty reasonable. Not cheap, definitely, but it's the same as the aforementioned TI.

Or if you know that your group is no more than 4 people at a time... My friends and I enjoy Twilight Imperium very much, but it's a problem to get a full group of 6 sometimes. Also, I don't want to say by any means that the game is overpriced, even when considering deluxe edition - 150 bucks for a grand strategy game with a crapload of elements and deep gameplay is pretty reasonable. Not cheap, definitely, but it's the same as the aforementioned TI.

Deluxe edition is not expensive as such, when compared to other larger games like War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium, but it is more expensive than what many other strategy games are. Royal edition of Crusader Kings is in the same price range with the basic edition of EU, but then again CK does not have as many boards, miniatures and tokens as EU Deluxe edition has, which explains the higher price.

I'm certain that for many people 4 player game with two ages is more than enough. Even though I ordered Deluxe edition, I assume that most of the time I cannot find 6 players to play all 4 ages, because people have work and kids.

Deluxe edition is not expensive as such, when compared to other larger games like War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium, but it is more expensive than what many other strategy games are. Royal edition of Crusader Kings is in the same price range with the basic edition of EU, but then again CK does not have as many boards, miniatures and tokens as EU Deluxe edition has, which explains the higher price.

I'm certain that for many people 4 player game with two ages is more than enough. Even though I ordered Deluxe edition, I assume that most of the time I cannot find 6 players to play all 4 ages, because people have work and kids.

I have to check out CK as well, but I am leaning towards EU. Twilight Imperium is the gold standard in our group and I think EU will be well received.

Is this board game going to be translated to another language?

Regards,
I think i read there was a possibility for it being in French, German and Spanish.

Wow almost missed the Kickstarter it's sorrt of expensive. But I have CK so I think I have to get this. To bad no word on the HoI game or I might get that

On the Board Game Geek site.

I'm not going to pay anything until they confirm that point. If I want to play with my friends it should be translated.

Where did you read that?

Regards,

They have also answered to the question of other languages here:

We are working with local publishers in different regions to make localised versions of the game, but we cannot say which languages at this stage.

In Kickstarter people asked about other language versions and they said:

We are looking into it and want to make it happen, but I cannot make any promises at this stage. The more backers we get from each language, the bigger the chance is that we get there. We will write something about this when we have had some meetings with local publishers at Essen.

So, I guess that we are going to learn soon if there is a Spanish publisher who wants to publish localized version.

That's good news.

Although, not being a Spanish-speaker, i'm more looking forward the metal coins. :p

I'll take another look at it later but I don't think I can pledge this. They needed to target a lower price point, not have minis, etc, and not segment it into two boards with a deluxe version. Even the base game costs more than Twilight Imperium 4th Edition, and the reviews of the Crusader Kings game don't inspire much confidence.

I'll take another look at it later but I don't think I can pledge this.
Not trying to convince you to buy it, especially if you don't feel comfortable with the idea, just note that kickstarter is up only for seven more days.

They needed to target a lower price point, not have minis, etc, and not segment it into two boards with a deluxe version. Even the base game costs more than Twilight Imperium 4th Edition, and the reviews of the Crusader Kings game don't inspire much confidence.
Another note : not same developers, so i'm not sure the review on one pertains to the other.

It does because Paradox is the publisher and we judge them on their past standards, that's all we can do in the board game world.
All Paradox did was sell/grant/whatever them the licenses... Paradox doesn't intervene past that, as far as i understand it.

and the reviews of the Crusader Kings game don't inspire much confidence.

I think the biggest issue with Crusader Kings is that people expected it to be something it is not, despite the fact that Fria Ligan said from the beginning that they are making a simple game that can be played in 2 or 3 hours. It is fun game, although limited in scope. I would consider it more a casual game than a serious strategy. It is most enjoyable when played with players who like to roleplay, make deals and do not mind some random chaos. Also it should be noted that Fria Ligan has updated the CK rules and fixed many issues of which people complained earlier, but sure they could have tested the game more before publishing instead of rushing it out.

Europa Universalis -board game is quite different beast as it aims to be a complex strategy game and so far the rules look quite good.