• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LRJ

Second Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2015
I've seen several threads explaining how to pause the game using space bar (essentially assigning 'space' as the shortcut in the config file). However, is there a way to tie pause to a letter, e.g. 'p'? This would be preferable as currently it is impossible to rename units where a space is required - it would just pause/unpause instead.

I've seen several threads explaining how to pause the game using space bar (essentially assigning 'space' as the shortcut in the config file). However, is there a way to tie pause to a letter, e.g. 'p'? This would be preferable as currently it is impossible to rename units where a space is required - it would just pause/unpause instead.
I use the thing above tilde. It's also below "escape." The "`" button. In Buttons config (in the config folder) scroll down to Pause and type inside the brackets "shortcut = `" without the quotes. Anything typed after equals can be any button, no need to put it in quotes. Just make sure it fits into the syntax for only the Pause function. If doing it for a modification, go into the base folder c:\darkesthour, and copy the Buttons config from there into the mod\"modification" folder, then edit the Pause button.

Thanks! I found that entering 'shortcut = p' (without quotation marks) in the '...\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config\Buttons.txt' file did the trick - I can now pause with the letter 'p'. I also made the change in the '...\Darkest Hour\config\Buttons.txt' file to make sure there were no conflicts.

Thanks! I found that entering 'shortcut = p' (without quotation marks) in the '...\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config\Buttons.txt' file did the trick - I can now pause with the letter 'p'. I also made the change in the '...\Darkest Hour\config\Buttons.txt' file to make sure there were no conflicts.

But what if you wanted to name a unit with the letter P in it? ;)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't remember if it's the base config or the mods config of DH, but one of those worked fine in my Kaiserreich game and the other replaced the pictures of the army, navy, and air forces buttons with an X.

But what if you wanted to name a unit with the letter P in it? ;)
Good point! Perhaps a different key would be best - it's just I'm used to the letter 'p' for many games. Should I enter 'shortcut = "pause"' for the pause key instead?
I don't remember if it's the base config or the mods config of DH, but one of those worked fine in my Kaiserreich game and the other replaced the pictures of the army, navy, and air forces buttons with an X.
That's very odd. Fortunately I've not experienced anything like this.

Good point! Perhaps a different key would be best - it's just I'm used to the letter 'p' for many games. Should I enter 'shortcut = "pause"' for the pause key instead?

That's very odd. Fortunately I've not experienced anything like this.
Somehow searchengines can't find anything on this ` button so I don't even know what to call it. On my layout it is very convenient for a pause button. It's above ~ and below esc.