Keyboard shortcut for pause

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

LRJ

Second Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2015
I've seen several threads explaining how to pause the game using space bar (essentially assigning 'space' as the shortcut in the config file). However, is there a way to tie pause to a letter, e.g. 'p'? This would be preferable as currently it is impossible to rename units where a space is required - it would just pause/unpause instead.

Dr. Intolerance

Major
12 Badges
Dec 9, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
I've seen several threads explaining how to pause the game using space bar (essentially assigning 'space' as the shortcut in the config file). However, is there a way to tie pause to a letter, e.g. 'p'? This would be preferable as currently it is impossible to rename units where a space is required - it would just pause/unpause instead.
I use the thing above tilde. It's also below "escape." The "`" button. In Buttons config (in the config folder) scroll down to Pause and type inside the brackets "shortcut = `" without the quotes. Anything typed after equals can be any button, no need to put it in quotes. Just make sure it fits into the syntax for only the Pause function. If doing it for a modification, go into the base folder c:\darkesthour, and copy the Buttons config from there into the mod\"modification" folder, then edit the Pause button.

LRJ

Second Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2015
Thanks! I found that entering 'shortcut = p' (without quotation marks) in the '...\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config\Buttons.txt' file did the trick - I can now pause with the letter 'p'. I also made the change in the '...\Darkest Hour\config\Buttons.txt' file to make sure there were no conflicts.

Pasha

General
2 Badges
May 26, 2005
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
Thanks! I found that entering 'shortcut = p' (without quotation marks) in the '...\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config\Buttons.txt' file did the trick - I can now pause with the letter 'p'. I also made the change in the '...\Darkest Hour\config\Buttons.txt' file to make sure there were no conflicts.

But what if you wanted to name a unit with the letter P in it? ;)

• 1Haha
Reactions:

Dr. Intolerance

Major
12 Badges
Dec 9, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome Gold
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
I don't remember if it's the base config or the mods config of DH, but one of those worked fine in my Kaiserreich game and the other replaced the pictures of the army, navy, and air forces buttons with an X.

LRJ

Second Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2015
But what if you wanted to name a unit with the letter P in it? ;)
Good point! Perhaps a different key would be best - it's just I'm used to the letter 'p' for many games. Should I enter 'shortcut = "pause"' for the pause key instead?
I don't remember if it's the base config or the mods config of DH, but one of those worked fine in my Kaiserreich game and the other replaced the pictures of the army, navy, and air forces buttons with an X.
That's very odd. Fortunately I've not experienced anything like this.

Dr. Intolerance

Major
12 Badges
Dec 9, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome Gold
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
Good point! Perhaps a different key would be best - it's just I'm used to the letter 'p' for many games. Should I enter 'shortcut = "pause"' for the pause key instead?

That's very odd. Fortunately I've not experienced anything like this.
Somehow searchengines can't find anything on this ` button so I don't even know what to call it. On my layout it is very convenient for a pause button. It's above ~ and below esc.