• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh, the Kerne's luck starts to reassert itself. :)

Kerne Theory
Part III: Tigernach -- The End of His Reign

PortraitTigernach.jpg

A year after Redondo, the Black Death finally struck Brittany. At first, the plague broke out in Saintonge before gradually moving north. The Duchy would be crippled in manpower and trade well into the reign of Tigernach’s successor. In fact, the region could scarcely recover before new waves of disease tore their way through.

Despite the wave of death that swept through Europe, the Breton wars with the neighboring Duchies wore on. This time, Bavaria and Flanders pledged their support to the pretenders in Valois and elsewhere. Tigernach was forced to march up and down the French coast, fighting off Flemish landing parties and Occitan raiders. At about 12,000, Tigernach’s army was stretched to the breaking point. Though he had succeeded defending his territory for a year, the final battle between the Flemish and Breton would come at Thouars on June 7, 1339.

The battle was considerably drawn out, nearly a month in length. In that time, the 9,000 strong Flemish army refused to come to the field against the larger Breton force. Instead, they burned towns and harassed smaller Breton detachments. Finally, in a fit of impatience, Tigernach led a raid against their encampment – getting himself captured in the process. The Flemish leader had all the soldiers executed, unsure of whether that he would even make it out of Brittany in one piece. Assumed to be just another soldier, Tigernach was beheaded along with them. On June 23, a massive ransom, what little the nobles and soldiers of Brittany could provide, arrived at the feet of the confused Flemish marshal.

Tigernach would be succeeded by Óengus Kerne – founder of the Church of Brittany.​

Kerne Theory
Part IV: Óengus

oengusportrait.jpg

Duke Óengus Kerne

Óengus took the reigns of power to find the treasury of Brittany all but empty, while the penniless populace melted away against the plague. A fairly incompetent man, Óengus was at least a good fighter. His tall stature assured him dominance in single combat and was at first known as “the Tall.”

An ominous portent of the years to come, the Duke was excommunicated barely 3 years into his reign, in December of 1342. The reasons were purely political – the Duchy of Champagne and the de Vergy Dynasty that ruled it held tremendous sway over the Pope. In their attempt to seize Brittany and other Duchies, they were more than able to dole out spiritual punishments. Óengus was struck deeply by the blight, feeling that the once sacred Papacy had become corrupted and secular. Such ideas would eventually materialize into a new Christian denomination, but that will come soon.

In retaliation against the Duke Charles, Óengus ordered three assassination attempts on him – all failed. The attacks would prove needless in the end, as the Duke soon died of age on May 20, 1343. Charles’ heirs, fearing more intrigue, had the Pope offer a revocation of the excommunication – in exchange for a large indulgence, of course. To be blackmailed was the final straw for Óengus and on August 27, 1343, having formally rejected the Pope’s offer – he founded the Church of Brittany. Though quite indifferent from Catholicism, the Church of Brittany ignored the Pope, instead decentralizing the Church under the authority of several weaker Bishops – all answering to the Duke. In retaliation, the Pope declared Óengus not only excommunicated, but an apostate heretic as well.

Such religious turmoil shook the nobility of Brittany to the core. Many Counts desperately broke away, attempting to sever themselves from any association with the Duke. With an iron hand, Óengus crushed them all. By May of 1346, he had personal control over all of Brittany – having deposed all others of his dynasty. Afraid to relinquish his new power, Óengus dismissed the Feudal Contract, dismantled the powers of the nobility, and gave himself unprecedented control over both the Church and State. All of Brittany was now a personal fief of Óengus. Guy de Vergy, son of Charles, seeing Óengus was in a perfect position to be overthrown, mobilized his armies for a Crusade.

The war would go on for eight years and for the most part, Óengus proved a deadly opponent. Multiple times, armies from Champagne were completely obliterated. Guy de Vergy held firm, however, sure in the mass of manpower available in his holdings in Toulouse and elsewhere. His patience payed off and by March of 1352, he had his first victory in the sack of Saintonge. The Bretons, worn down by the war, were unable to stand up to the much large forces of Champagne. In October, Thouars fell, Nantes in January of 1353, and Rennes not long after.

Though Óengus tried desperately stave off the inevitable – which he did for another year, the last Breton stronghold in Penthievre fell on April 8, 1354. What happened to Óengus after this is unclear, but there is sparse evidence that he spent the rest of his days imprisoned in a French Bishopric. Brittany became yet another district of the large and powerful Archduchy of Champagne and Breton independence was now but a fantasy.

Dispersed or converted to Islam by the Berbers and without titles in Brittany, the Kernes disappeared into history.​

The end.

Oh, wow. Those last two updates are a couple of konkers. The writing about Tigernach getting executed is pretty remarkable, and the final winding down into defeat and obliteration is really well done. This proves that defeat is always, always more interesting and evocative than victory. Well done, sir. I salute you and this solid AAR with every part of my body.

A great AAR, and those last two updates were superb if slightly demoralizing for us to see that the Kerne's luck at hoping round Europe was now at and end. I hope to see many more from you, sir, this was excellent!

Ouch. Did this dramatic end of the Kerne family line really come without advance notice?

So the dynasty comes to an end, but not before providing future historians will plenty of material to debate and discuss. Never staid, never dull, always pushing the boundaries, until they eventually pushed too far.

A great AAR... I'm sad to see it coming to an end. Somehow, though, the end to the Kerne's seems almost fitting - its like fate tried to press them down repeatedly, they rose up, and finally fate had its way...

General_BT: You put it so eloquently :( I'd have to agree in your description. It was all down hill since Alan IV, with Crimthann shining for a bit in the midst of it.

stnylan: Perhaps not worthy of their own theory of history, but maybe.

Hastu Neon: I made a few mistakes that cost me in the end. The biggest one was revoking the titles of my relatives when they rebelled. When Champagne won the war there was no one left, quite sad...

robou: Thank you :) I'm planning a narrative of some sort in CK, but I should probably do some reading before I try another one.

phargle: It is an honor to have your praise. I'm rather glad it ended that way, as constant victory just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks to everyone who read and commented!

I was unsure if I'd even finish this AAR and despite the relative lack of uniformity throughout the entire thing, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm glad to see my graphics were such a hit as well and I've definitely improved on them throughout this. Hopefully the next one will be as successful (writing wise anyway).

Congratulations on finishing this! I enjoyed every moment I spent reading it and I found myself being wrapped up in the intrigues, always willing the Kernes to pull through. A sad fate for a once-glorious Duchy.

I will most certainly read your next one.

Congratulations IamWhoa on your ACA win!

I completely missed that this AAR was over! It's a shame how things turned out for the Kernes. :(

Also, congrats.

Everyone: Thank you very much! :D I am honored to see it was a favorite of some in the History category. Congratulations to asd (and everyone else, of course.)

Enewald: All gone, thanks to the short sighted mistake of revoking the titles of my family members.

CountArach: I hope so! If I get around to a new one I hope it might be as interesting.

I only joined AARland when you had already finished this AAR, but I have just read through it in it's entirety, and I am impressed. I post for two reasons:

1) I want to tell you that I liked your blend of narrative style with history book - you present a plausible and enjoyable alternate history. And you do it with great graphics and wonderful animations.

2) I blatantly don't want your AAR to vanish off the first two forum pages quite now and intend to bring it to the forefront once more. Which I just did.