• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DrogoHistorian.jpg

Part II: Prosperity and Unease

Crimthann spared little time to savor his dynasty's victory. There were still French nobles in charge of Rennes and the Duke sought to liberate the city of its supposed oppressors. Since Konwion had thoroughly beaten the French armies and pillaged the province for all its worth, the people had seen nothing but misery. As the economy collapsed, the nobles began to fight amongst each other for the few resources. Murder was rampant, war constant, and famines regular -- the time was perfect for Crimthann.

With some meandering rain, the Duke of Brittany marched through the gates of Rennes unheeded on March 7, 1254. Those nobles who were too foolish to quickly flee were either thrown off the city walls or hacked down.

Seeing the potential of Rennes, Crimthann began to liberally fund various merchants and markets in an attempt to jumpstart the local economy. Within two years, his efforts payed off and Rennes had become tremendously wealthy. The city became so prosperous that it became the head of the Rennesguilde, a mercantile alliance that would pave the way for the Hanseatic League only a short time later.

RennesguildeMap.jpg

For four years, Crimthann would quietly tend to the inner intrigues of Breton politics. During this time, he married Sadb Bruce, a distant relative of the King of England. He also began the Monastery of Saint Hoel in Cornouaille.

Being the only legitimate son of Indrechtach, Crimthann had some reason to worry about his two bastard brothers. Alasdir and Nathi-i were quickly growing realizing the power they could possess. The Duke sought to get rid of them but just how was a difficult question. Banishing or arbitrarily executing them was simply not an option, for the moment at least. Instead, Crimthann looked outward with a pious facade, to the shattered Sheikdoms of Iberia. Alasdir and Nathi-i could be sent there as governors, out of the way and out of the equation.

What would soon begin was Crimthann’s first series of foreign ventures.

Foreign adventures? Souds fun.

What does the Rennesguild mostly trade in?

Perhaps this expansion will prove a little more durable.

But only if the luck of the dynasty changes.

stnylan: Crimthann should be able to hold anyone off, especially given how rich Rennes is.

robou:
It won't be quite the disaster this time.

RGB: Rennes...mark. I have no idea :p If you meant goods, probably just wool. Perhaps moneylending too.

Enewald: Thank you :) I didn't want to take any chances by having them in my court.

DrogoHistorian.jpg

Part III: Return to Iberia

Though there was some apprehension within the nobility for such an expedition, Crimthann was certain that he could easily defeat the Moors. The Duke set out with a 13,000 man army on September 10, 1258. Devi de Porhoët had only half that on his ill-fated Crusade but this time, Crimthann meant to hold the territory he conquered. His initial goals were under the guise of liberating the Christians in western Spain. In reality, this was but a mere bonus. Crimthann’s real goal was to get his bastard brothers as far away and as busy as possible – Breton bastards administrating Spanish territory was an ideal situation.

On February 9, 1259, Crimthann’s fleet arrived off the coast of Compostella in northern Spain. The initial unease of the nobles lifted quickly as it became apparent that there was going to be no resistance. By April, Alasdir found himself governing the province of Compostella. It was quite simple for the Bretons to assert control, as it had been many years since the Christian northerners had last seen a like-minded ruler.

Confident, Crimthann divided his army. With 7,800 he marched south to El Bierzo, whilst Count Brandon de Porhoët, son of Konweon, marched on Santiago with 4,000. The results almost surely drove the masterful commander mad. Neither Breton army encountered a Moorish army and by August, Crimthann could rightfully call himself Duke of Galicia. Nathi-i, though still only 13, was left administering Santiago. It seemed as if Crimthann’s goals were already fulfilled, yet with such a large army remaining, he decided to go further.

In August of 1259, Crimthann blitzed the Emirate of Seville. Where as the Emirs of its past once controlled much of Spain, it was now little more than a broken husk of a Kingdom. Amidst the December storms, the Duke was already besieging the town of Castello Branco. Before the beginning of the new year it would fall to the Bretons. Count Brandon Porhoët easily took the city of Porto before returning east toward Zamora. Seville fought back as well as a carcass against vultures.

In February, Crimthann founded the Duchies of Porto and Leon. He realized that controlling Counts so far inland would be a nigh impossible task and was soon looking for a suitable ruler. By April, he had his candidate – Loup Kerne. Once his advisor as a child, Loup was amongst the more trusted of Crimthann’s circle. The man was also completely able to handle the rigors of a foreign Duchy. On the 24th, Crimthann officially handed over the titles of Porto and Leon.

Porto.jpg

The city of Porto would be the capital of the Duchy of Porto-Leon

Though he had not found the battles to prove himself in, he did get rid of his brothers – that was the most important. As an added perk, Crimthann was now famous throughout Catholic Europe for having freed the Christians. Indeed, his actions had sparked numerous rebellions throughout Spain, causing many Christian Counts to take control along the border regions of the Breton holdings. Countless zealous Franks, Germans, and others pressed further south in the name of these new rulers.

Fearing unrest in his homeland, Crimthann returned to Brittany with his armies in June of 1259.

MapIberia1259.jpg

a great and unbloody victory then! This is good news. And the brothers are out of the way. Cunning acts by Crimthann!

Indeed, a great and bloodless (and all the more great because of that) victory.

Yes, you do not want to leave Brittany undefended.

Cecasander: They should. But I'll get rid of the overseas provinces eventually.

stnylan: Nope :p

RGB:
Pretty good I suppose. I really wanted Crimthann to obliterate some Moorish armies.

Enewald:
I could do that. I have a claim to Ireland as well.

robou: Now that they are over there, they can be used for other things.

Note: I haven't updated lately because twice I've forgotten to save. Luckily, it's only about a year or so worth of game time. Plus I'm going to be away for a short while, so perhaps an update will come on Monday again.

I've just caught up from the last 8 or so chapters and I must say I love the way that things have played out - you have gone from glorious to owning almost nothing and being subjected to French rule. It is far more 'real' than the Bretons taking over France by force.

DrogoHistorian.jpg

Part IV: From Bastard to Duke

Porto-Leon would steadily hold its own for three years but when Duke Loup was killed by a Moorish ambush outside the village of Torres Novas, the infant Duchy began to tremble. The neighboring Sheikdoms, especially the powerful Lisbons, steadily advanced against the Bretons. Loup’s three year old son and heir would be shoved aside by numerous power hungry nobles, weakening the Crusader position even further. Though he had indulged himself in mass celebrations since his victories, Crimthann found himself once more sailing towards Spain – somewhat less heartedly than before.

With 8,700 men and 1149 knights, Crimthann landed in Santiago in March of 1264 – territory ruled by Nathi-i. The two bastards and another Berber vassal were in the far south with 6,000, winning tremendous victories over the numerically superior Lisbons. In one instance, Alasdir completely routed a larger Lisbon force east of the town of Braganza. A followup attack slightly further south by the Bretons left Nathi-i wounded, though not fatally. It was only when Crimthann finally arrived that the Bretons could begin assaulting the various Moorish fortifications.

By April of 1264, the combined forces of Alasdir and Crimthann were besieging the meager walls of Lisboa. It is unlikely they realized that their forefather, Alan IV, had once treaded the same ground. Facing a 13,000 man army, the Sheik of Lisboa finally surrendered in disgrace, a new subject of the infidel Breton Duke. Porto-Leon was ultimately displaced, most of its territory moving inland. Crimthann once more had control of the coastline and even gained control of Porto after it had been seized by pirates from Niebla. Instead of giving the city back to the now estranged rulers of Porto-Leon, he gave the city to Nathi-i.

Setting plans for an independent Galicia in the back of his mind, Crimthann sailed for Brittany in March of 1265. In his absence, he left a stronger and more peaceful Breton Galicia. Various lesser rulers in the region would continue expansion against the Iberian Sheiks. After three years, Breton territory had expanded so much that a new Ducal locality was needed. On January 7, 1268, Crimthann proclaimed himself Duke of Beja. He would spend the next year and a half carefully organizing his Spanish dominion, tending to relations and orchestrating conversions. When he was finally ready to set loose Galicia, the Duke chose the loyal and able Alasdir as the would be ruler. On June 20, 1269 the second eldest, illegitimate son of Indrechtach was crowned both Duke of Galicia and of Beja. The ceremony was held in Porto and was supposedly so vast that the city was sucked into a recession for months. Nonetheless, Alasdir would prove a fine leader for the weary Iberians.

Crimthann had quickly forgotten about Spain and was already looking to the Breton homeland – carefully sizing up the remaining bastion of the Porhoëts.

Spain-Map-1269-version-2.gif

Definitely on an up.

Given the way this dynasty has gone, I am beginning to get ready for the next fall.

stnylan: Things are going perfectly. Crimthann is just a fine ruler.

CountArach: This is much better than the glory days.

robou: Perhaps, perhaps not.

Enewald:
Not for Crimthann. But if something happens to his line I can just switch over to one of these other Duchies and keep going :p