• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DrogoHistorian.jpg

Part V: Duke Indrechtach

Indrechtach.jpg

Almost immediatly after setting foot in Ireland in 1236, Indrechtach was beset by rebellions. Besides the Irish being unwilling to submit to a foreigner, the young ruler was also excommunicated. On top of it all, he was simply a poor leader. He lacked any diplomatic fines and was a terrible commander. He could only watch impotently as his wife Ninnog flirted with the men of the court. Of course, Indrechtach himself engaged in similar activities to spite her. The Duke was at least a modest man and was often indistinguishable from those around him. Indrechtach was also quite active, spending most of his time on horseback. He would need this energy, as his reign would be dominated by war.

Indrechtach’s initial attempts to quell the bitter Irish lords through force backfired and his name had become synonymous with all manor of vulgarities, depending on the region. The Duke’s attempts to clean up his reputation by distributing wealth amongst the peasants only made him seem calculating. That he was giving undue aid to peasants only enraged some of the Irish lords further.

By 1246, the rebellions wore on and Indrechtach had won few battles. He relied on bribery to seize a castle in Mide, yet was unable to realize or take advantage the opportunity. If he successfully put down a Count, they would rouse to mischief again when his armies left. Connacht seemed to spiral into oblivion. The Regency that was currently guiding his son, Crimthann, tricked the boy into ordering raids against the Ducal dimense. In March, the Duke of Munster, Tadg O’Briain, declared his intention to free the Irish in Connacht. Indrechtach quickly prepared all he could muster, ignoring the remaining revolts and beginning a march southward.

The Duke was not entirely stupid. He had realized his own ineptitude and instead placed the command of the 5,700 strong army under his marshal, Randolf. Though himself detesting Indrechtach, Randolf managed a victory against the invaders outside the city of Galway – killing the Duke of Munster’s first son in the process. Incursions into Munster were met with mixed results and Randolf soon returned north.

The Nordic Duchy of the Western Isles had agreed to aid their Irish ally with several thousand men. In the winter of 1246, they had landed in the province of Tir Connail – quickly laying waste all resistance. The invaders seem to brim with a renewed Viking vigor as they swept south. With 4,000 himself, Randolf marched against the new arrival, only to be soundly crushed in the Battle of Tully Hill.

Sully1.jpg

Leinster, the other major Irish power, soon marched into Connacht as well – proclaiming the same cries of liberation. With Dublin eagerly falling into the arms of Leinster, Indrectach knew the war was all but over. In September of 1247, the Duke somberly left the shores of Ireland. Behind him, nearly 18,000 allied troops from Leinster, Munster, and the Isles besieged his remaining stronghold in Galway.

As Brittany before, the Duchy of Connacht was partitioned. The broken, excommunicated and incompetent Duke returned to Cornouaille – now a subservient to his son.

The Duchy of Leinster would take a majority of the spoils and annexed most of Connacht. The rebellious Countess of Mayo was granted the battered city of Galway as a reward. Crimthann was also allowed to retain his estates in Northern Ireland.

IndrechtachFleesIreland.jpg

The routes of the allied forces. Red indicates rebellious provinces.

Third time lucky?

The Kernes, they just have no luck.

RGB: Very little. :(

stnylan: Maybe, maybe not.

robou:
Things will get better, at least in the short term.

Enewald:
The game seems to want to foil me at every turn. :mad:

Note:
I'm writing the next update now but I may go a bit further just to get some breathing room. Crimthann's reign is quite content packed, so it may take a while.

DrogoHistorian.jpg

Chapter 6: Crimthann

Part I: An anti-Climatic Usurpation

Whilst his father went off to a short lived rule in Ireland, Crimthann inherited Cornouaille. He was still quite a young boy then, as such he was guided by relatives for ten years. The four regents included his cousin Loup, uncle and Bishop Charles, the old Aunt Garcenda, and his bastard cousin and Marshal, Folcaude.

Crimthann was astonishingly capable for his age, showing gifts in all fields he pursued. He was able to write as well as most bishops and was already fluent in the few economic theories of the time. His real talents were in the military and the regency council quickly had him put in place for a martial education. Meanwhile, Crimthann’s relatives revamped the Feudal laws, redrawing the map in terms of noble held fiefs and ecclesiastical lands. Though the nobles were allowed more power, Cornouaille was not short on wealth thanks to a burgeoning burgher class. In fact, Loup’s wife Yolanda de Hauteville was a tireless steward and mercantilist, bringing tremendous wealth into the once struggling county. It was during this time of maximum control, that the regency had raids carried out against Indrechtach, contributing to his downfall.

NewCOAforCorn.jpg

The Feudal reforms led to the creation of a new Coat of Arms for the County.

Indrechtach spent most of his remaining days in Cornouaille, under the patronage of his only legitimate son. The aging man would lose his nerve in May of 1252, when he murdered Per de Porhoët – a relative of the Duke of Brittany. Crimthann was given complete authority over the matter as a first test. Torn between punishing his own father and angering his powerful neighbor, the young Count – who would often prove welcoming to brutal verdicts, had Indrechtach banished to England.

In 1253, Crimthann was finally deemed worthy to lead. In a hasty ceremony, his relatives relinquished their power back to him. The new Count’s reign would not be an idle one. Given the wealth he commanded, Crimthann was able to dream big from the start. It was to his neighbors, the Duchies of Brittany and Breton March, that he would look with greedy eyes.

Duke Konwion de Porhoët of Brittany had become embroiled in a war with the French dominated Breton March. Though it looked like a sure victory for the Duke, he became bogged down besieging the city of Rennes – the center of power for the French elite. Barely a month after taking the reigns of power, Crimthann quicky organized a 6,500 strong army to attack the city of Vannes, the Ducal capital. Though the Duchy of Brittany was quite powerful, a lack of available resources left Crimthann’s approach unheeded.

In early October of 1253, Konwion finally subdued Breton March, seizing the Ducal crown for himself. Before he could return and relieve the siege at Vannes, Crimthann had taken the town. With the Count holding Konwion’s various relatives and confidants at blades length, the Duke surrendered the title of Brittany and a hefty sack of tribute.

On his part, the young Kerne recognized Konwion as the rightful ruler of Vannes and Duke of Breton March. In addition, Konwion’s son and Count of Penthievre, Brandon, would remain untouched. A purge of the Porhoëts by a new and vengeful Duke was staved off – for the time being.

At last, the Ducal of throne of Brittany was returned to the Kernes. Still 16, Crimthann was crowned in the halls of Kastell Oaled on November 2nd, 1253.

CrimthannPortrait.jpg

Duke Crimthann Kerne

Map1253.jpg

Last edited:
So back to a ducal title.

A hemmed-in, three-county duchy is not the best start, considering where you've been, but at least you have the title of Brittany back, and Crimthann looks to be on the upswing. Kingdom, ho!

A return to the Duchy, excellent news.

Somehow this position seems no better than the last, but the new Duke seems a resourceful young man...

And Brittany is back in Kerne hands. Hopefully, this second Kerne reign will end better, with some other tasty duchies added... Occitan "Duchies" sounds nice and divided...

General_BT: It's looking pretty good so far. Those Occitan's like their King though, save for the Duke of Avern-something.

kadvael56: I don't know what to do yet. I've gotten the prestige to act, just not sure when.

RGB:
Yes, he is brilliant. I also have an awesome steward but that will only last so long.

Estonianzulu:
Yes indeed. Finally some good news.

It's Amazing:
Now days, an exceedingly wealthy three province Duchy :p

robou: He will do quite a bit in just his first 10 years. I don't know how I'm going to get through all of it.

stnylan: Again :p

Enewald:
Thank you :) I considered attacking France almost immediately but I didn't want to squander my good fortune so far.

Note: I'm going to rewrite the update I was working on. It's just too stale. I'll try to get it out by Monday at the latest.