• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RGB: I kind of like it that way :p

robou: Thanks! Nice to pick up new readers :)

Enewald:
Well, I can't. I'm not Duke - if I could I would though.

stnylan: Sayer Bruce himself is impressive. He has amazing stats and is whipping it up all over the place. Plus, he just has a neat name.

General_BT:
Quite a brutal and ungraceful fall, however. ;) Rebuilding the Kernic Empire will be a lot harder that it may look so far.

Part III: Count Aimeric the Occitan

AimerictheOccitanPortrait.jpg

“Let me tell you about the Count Aimeric,” the old man said. His rancid breath wafted over the campfire.

“Is he the one from last time?” a young grandson asked.

“No!” the senility racked man blurted. Spit bounced liberally from his toothless mouth.

“Just listen!”

Now, the early reign of Aimeric was a terrible time. Duke Guymarch de Porhoët was taxing us for all we were worth. Count Aimeric Kerne was there for us little folk, though. He invited Iberian traders to barter within the ports, purchasing himself what the people needed.

He was a just ruler too! We often fought amongst ourselves to have our cases heard by him, where as before we dreaded the occasion.

Now, as the Franks were fighting hopeless wars in the Holy Land, Aimeric was fighting a perpetual battle with local crime lords. They had sprung up in response to the poverty. Aimeric was prepared to be lenient towards them, until they ransacked the village of Arzano.

Then their fates were sealed!

Aimeric gathered his finest Breton warriors – twenty or so. They set out in the dead of winter, to aid in surprise. My father said they wore wolf-skins – nonsense, I say!

The first criminal they came up against was Ercc Wrytooth and his band of eleven. Before the two sides could clash, the burly Ercc challenged the Count to a duel in place of mass bloodshed.

Stones would be the weapon.

Each took his place in a large clearing. Ercc grabbed the largest stone he could find – a boulder it was! He lifted it over his head and with the strongest arms in Europe, threw it at Aimeric. The Count simply stepped aside, letting the rock fall to the icy ground. Aimeric swiftly countered, picking up a pebble and hurling it at the brute! Ercc fell dead instantly.

“Kind of like David!” One boy interjected.

“Yes, just li – be quiet!”

I got one more! The last and strongest of the crime lords was Stejpan the Devourer. He was a massive glutton, said to be able to consume an entire Destrier in the midst of battle!

As before, the Count was challenged to single combat and he was obliged to accept.

This time with good old swords!

Though Aimeric managed to land some blows, Stejpan's flesh was like that of chain-mail!

As the fight wore on, Aimeric began to tire and the Devourer made his move! Whilst Aimeric rested on his sword, Stejpan jumped up and ate the Count! The Knights despaired, having seen their Count taken from them. Just when the Marshal was about to order a charge against the brigands and their leader, Stejpan began to bellow in agony. Clutching his overblown belly, the criminal fell to his knees. After a writhing moment, Aimeric’s sword burst through his chest!

“Oh, please.” The youngest grandson mumbled, rolling his eyes.

“Shut up!”

And so, the devourer experienced the movements of his last meal!

“...”

“Humph! Your father nearly burst at the seams when he heard that one! Anyway...”

Aimeric survived and the County was free of the ravages of the crime syndicates. The people of Cornouaille, tough as we are, bounced back in no time. However, the adventures of Aimeric don’t stop there!

Gettin’ a bit late though, you boys best head back to your mother’s. I’ll be ‘ere tommorow.

Last edited:
It's definitely going to make it into "collections of fairy tales" somewhere in 1856 or so.

I chuckled a lot when I read that. Well done.

RGB: Thanks :) It's refreshing, I hope.

robou:
The stone throwing scene is similar to the one from Braveheart, though I only realized that after the fact! :p

Enewald:
Yeah, that was fun to write.

Note:
I've been using the SMACK events since a few updates ago (Mettemrcks AAR sold me on it). This is why I was inspired to write the story about Stejpan and such, as I got an event where Aimeric rode out to fight them.

Part IV: Count Aimeric: A History

DrogoHistorian.jpg

AimericReenactment.jpg

Aimeric's battles are often recreated at medieval fairs.​

When the extortionate Ducal taxes were finally relieved, Aimeric was beloved by his people. Already, various minstrels and bards had begun spreading exaggerated tales of the Count’s exploits. Some of them were more factual than they may seem. He did in fact defeat a Berber pirate in single combat off the shores of Spain, for example. There is little refute the popular notion that he also fought the pirate with his hands bound. Then whilst raiding the Emirates in Iberia, he defeated several armies sent against him with but a few Bretons by his side. Even amongst the Spaniards and Moors, Aimeric was well known and respected.

Aimeric’s life was not all chivalry and valor, as told by storytellers. Continuing the policies of Màelcolium, he arranged for his son Fransez to marry the oldest daughter of the Duke of Connacht. This time, a potential heir was successfully conceived. This only drove the Count to go further.

As the snows swept through northern Ireland in December of 1224, the Duke of Connacht stumbled upon his only son Artuir’s battered corpse. The Duke had suspicions that the Breton Count in Cornouaille was behind it and quickly organized a response. Whether guilty or not, Connacht was do due come under the control of the Kernes – something had to be done.

A week after the death of Artuir, Fransez was murdered in his sleep. Unsure of just who had committed the crime and convinced the Duke of Connacht knew not of his plots, Aimeric assumed the Duke of Brittany was responsible. Though he would not seek vengeance in kind, Aimeric spent several years attempting to undermine the rule of Duke Laorans de Porhoët. Various petty Lords and Nobles found themselves bribed to sabotage the Duke’s efforts but little would come of it. Nine years later, the Duke would be killed anyway – struck down by Moorish archers while raiding Spanish shores.

Indrechtach would inherit the Duchy of Connacht in 1236. Almost immediatly, the young ruler was subject to rebellions by his new Irish subjects – never were they to submit to a foreigner. Indrechtach was also excommunicated – the Pope having been egged on by the bitter Irish lords. Records of the actual justification have been lost.

Aimeric the Occitan would die peacefully on November 6, 1243. He had pledged his County to the Duchy of Connacht in anticipation of the inheritance – though because of Papal excommunication laws, Conrouaille went to Indrechtachs only son, Crimthann. Aimeric’s reign was one of those that was defined by supreme Romantic adventure. Though his reign would be overshadowed by that of Duke Indrechtach.

The incompetent and somewhat boorish man would meet nothing but disaster.

MapIreland.jpg

Indrectach Kerne's Duchy of Connacht

A great life indeed. Very novel-worthy.

robou: They are all over the place :p

RGB:
Yeah, quite interesting.

Enewald:
To make Ireland was a goal of mine.

The next update will be a simple overview of Europe in 1243.

Overview of Europe in 1243

1243Overview.jpg

Golden Horde

The Mongols arrived on the Pagan dominated Russian plains in late 1224. The various, disorganized tribes were no match and before long, the Mongols were upon the borders of the splintered Hungarians and Polish. In collaboration with Bulgaria, the three frontier nations have managed to stave off the threat, though Poland is quickly withering and Hungary has lost huge swaths of territory it once had in Russia.

France

The Capet's have been overthrown and succeeded by multiple yet able dynasties. Despite the turmoil, France has grown tremendously. In 1213, Galles-Aquitaine was annexed. In 1238, the Holy Roman Emperor was forced to surrender the Kingdom of Germany. The von Franken Emperor has since retreated to a small northern Italian city.

Rhodes and Bulgaria

The Principality of Rhodes emerged from the destruction of Byzantium. Bit by bit, the Angelos rulers of the Island have created a powerful regional player. Bulgaria arose when the Greek Princes of Epirus won a spectacular victory over the Pagan Pechenegs, carving out a vast Kingdom. Though they have since been humbled by Turkish offensives, the Bulgarian Kingdom remains a Greek bulwark.

The Spanish Emirates

Many thought the final defeat of the Aragonese Kingdom would mark the beginning of a new wave of Muslim incursions. This was not to be however, as the already disunified Moors splintered. They now squabble amongst themselves, occasionally being obliterated and raided by impetuous Crusaders.

Others

Sweden acquired most of Scandinavia through sheer conquest. They have proved to be impotent against the Mongols, who have now advanced into Finland, as well as unable to hold onto the old colonies of the Vikings.

Rum
is what remains of the Seljuk Sultan’s power in Asia Minor. It has served as a springboard to continue pestering the Balkans it once dominated.

The Emirate of Trebizond was formed when the Greek ruler converted to Islam, amidst the collapse of Byzantium. His descendants have held fast and even expanded into the caucuses.​

Last edited:
I love your maps... I am so envious of your maps...

Things are not looking good for Christians across Europe. They lost Spain, they lost the East, whats next?

Interesting there, with Carinthia so big.

Mongols in Finland, sounds like fun.

Beautiful maps.

So, an excommunicate superior surely equals opportunity. :)

Wonderful European update, and interesting. Yes, maps are wonderful.
I love your AAR. Congrats IamWhoa!

yikes... those Mongols are scary, but if they get as far as France, i fear they will get a shock ;)

Wow, look at Amman, with Seville and Holland (!) under its thumb. Who is that ruling Tripoli/Cyrenaica? The color doesn't quite seem to match Hungary or Trebizond. Awesome map, though.

It's Amazing: I was hoping that there wouldn't be confusion :eek:o I just reused some colors and didn't bother labeling some. Holland is actually an independent Duchy and Cyrenaica is its own nation. I'll have to think of a better way of labeling the smaller countries so that doesn't happen.

robou:
Maybe, maybe not...

Hastu Neon: Good to hear. I just kind of threw it together instead of writing a real update :p

stnylan:
I'm going to continue as Indrechtach, so it will be his son who will probably have that cross his mind.

RGB:
Thank you :)

Estonianzulu: For the most part, the rest of Europe is safe. Save for the neighbors of the Mongols.

asd21593: Yeah, it is quite impressive.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm gonna start on the next up date pretty soon but I'm not quite sure how to approach it.