Keeping Japan from attacking China?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gsayhi

Sergeant
11 Badges
Jul 16, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
Hello,

I'm playing HOI4 as China. I have learned to make a non-aggression treaty with Japan and to keep a garrison along our common border. This keeps Japan from going to war with me due to the Marco Polo Bridge incident.

However, I use the peace to mop up the warlords. I want to go for Chicom's next. However, Japan then goes to war on Shanxi . Since Shanxi is one of the warlords who went with China it seems to give Japan a loophole to the whole non-aggression deal. They not only go to war with Shanxi but they also go to war with China. I'm trying to figure out how to prevent this from happening.

I figure if a fully annex Shanxi as soon as possible, making it part of China, then the non-aggression treaty will still be good.

Any thoughts on this from players who played the Chinese?

Reactions:
I believe Japan aggressively goes after China and Shanxi on historical AI. Later they go after Commie China and then the other warlords if there's no United Front and the others have been gobbled up.

The solution you give of prioritising Shanxi is a good one, I would also add Commie China to the list - they have the ability to provoke Japan using the (awful) infiltration mechanics.

You can bait out their limited divisions from their defensive line by leaving gaps, then going for their VPs whilst their divisions wander aimlessly around China.

The alternative is turning off Historical AI. If Japan goes any of the other paths (Commie, Shogun, Democratic) then it should ignore China unless provoked.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I believe Japan aggressively goes after China and Shanxi on historical AI. Later they go after Commie China and then the other warlords if there's no United Front and the others have been gobbled up.

The solution you give of prioritising Shanxi is a good one, I would also add Commie China to the list - they have the ability to provoke Japan using the (awful) infiltration mechanics.

You can bait out their limited divisions from their defensive line by leaving gaps, then going for their VPs whilst their divisions wander aimlessly around China.

The alternative is turning off Historical AI. If Japan goes any of the other paths (Commie, Shogun, Democratic) then it should ignore China unless provoked.
Thank you :)

I think if Shanxi is your puppet Japan should still honor the NAP if you protect the border adequately. If Shanxi is an indepentent ally they won't care i think.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fun fact: if you don’t form a faction and attack Shanxi while having a non-aggression pact with Japan while they have attacked Shanxi…

They will invite you to their faction. They will also let you have Shanxi as it’s your core.

This last game I did this, mopped up the minors with Japanese aid (of course it’s reliant on Shanxi not becoming a puppet voluntarily), and then attacked Germany to protect the USSR so I could carve up the USSR myself later.

Japanese troops ended up sailing through the Suez and saving Greece, forming an ulcer that inflicted over 1M Italian casualties. Meanwhile Chinese troops failed to save Kiev but were vital in forming a line in the south which allowed the USSR to focus on the North.

By far a weird game and one that’s replicable. NAP to Attack Shanxi equals Chiang and Hirohito becoming bros, even though they have a casus belli.

• 2Haha
Reactions: