• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey, I'll be reading along! Your Golden Horde AAR inspired me to write and join these forums. So, most assuredly, I'll be along for this journey! :D

So this is what's happened to your Avatar! I was wondering why you didn't have one earlier in the week (I should get out more).

This might not be entirely welcome advice but have you considered just letting the rebels win?

Tough game you're in for, even westernized African nations are weak. Only time I've seen them survive to 1600 was when I as Burgundy conquered all of Nigeria from Songhai and let gave much of the interior to the OPM KB, a friend.

phargle - It's certainly a rough start. We shall see about the hilarity.

coz1 - Great to see you following this. It isn't an ideal start. But it could be worse. I suppose I could start at war.

Jambor It seems that they surely do. Well we'll see how it works out this time.

Capibara Thanks for the support. I will need it with these guys and any advice too.

comagoosie A tough position it surely is. As for digging out, well staying hidden might be the best defence.

Olaus Petrus I'm sure there will be plenty of intrigue and double crossing, even with only two players.

EnragedKiwi Good advice. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed Shaybanid. It was one of my favourite AARs and ended all too soon.

Alfred Packer Commentator or not, readership is always appreciated.

Milites I'm glad to hear that.

naggy :D I hope not. But time will tell.

Inner Circle That's the ultimate goal. The reachable goal may actually be quite different though.

Ahura Mazda It had to be somewhere. May as well be Kanem Bornu.

Enewald Thanks, glad to have you along.

Olav I've always enjoyed your AARs so that is great to have you following mine.

Snake IV I like the possibility to colonise that the whole world mod opens up. It may not happen but at least its a possibility. It also makes things much riskier of course since the Mamlukes or whoever could come down from the north.

Falastur It might seem that way but I actually picked them before I realised they had a rebellion going on.

Taklagarn I do believe you are right on the mark there.

urdh I hope so. I trust that it remains that way. Africa isn't the most interesting of places to play in sometimes.

Colonel Bran Building men like mad is a good strategy. But I'm not sure if it can be done.

demokratickid Excellent to see you hear. A familiar fan is always welcome and I'm glad to hear that I inspired you to join.

PrawnStar Actually the avatar disappeared along with all the other non-mod or admins custom avatars in the upgrade. Well this one is good so I'm happy with it. Great to have you along and reading. After your fantastic efforts with the Maya I'm sure you will have helpful advice.

Amob_m_s All gone by 1600? Hmmm, I don't think it's normally that bad in my games. Even westernised it will be tough, the units you get are terrible.

Chief Ragusa - Civilise Europe? I like it as a goal but I think that backwater is beyond redemption.

I'm still in 1.3, so maybe in NA and IN they hang on longer, but yeah, w/o player intervention they're always gone in the 1500s or earlier in my games.

Amob_m_s - I think that there are some pretty big changes made in respect to colonisation of Africa in both NA and IN so that should make things quite different. Just as an aside I would highly recommend upgrading to IN if you can, it makes things a lot better in my opinion. There, that's the sales pitch complete :D

flag1.gif

Right now you may have a few questions about what Kanem Bornu is really like. What do the people do? What do the people believe? Do they say aubergine or egg plant? But right now none of that is important. Like a red rag to a bull the red flag of the rebels is demanding attention. It may not be the most eloquent of metaphors, but Kanem Bornu isn't in the business of exporting literature.

So the rebel situation. Basically there's 3000 angry and vile revolutionaries who have got it in for the righteous malik (king), this fellow.
4-old.jpg

Actually I can sort of see why they have it in for him. Biri the second, like all sequels just isn't that good. Still, they are rebels and as such the scum of the Earth. It would be much easier to fight them were it not for the fact that Kanem Bornu is completely lacking in manpower. What has Biri been doing? The whole country is destabilised to top it off.

So the basic situation is that we are left with 1000 men to fight 3000, no possibility to raise more, an unpopular and lousy malik and forts to hold back the rebels seem to be regarded as nothing more than a foreign curiosity, not a vital necessity.

So against that backdrop occurred the Kanem Bornu Revolutionary War of 1399.

6-Rebels.gif

The entire war was nothing more than a walkover for the rebel armies. The regular army, who owed no particular allegiance to Biri II were more than happy to leave the capital open to the rebels. Shortly after the capital fell so too did the axe on poor Biri's neck. Few tears were shed, for the new Malik, Abu turned out to be a much more able ruler. Who says rebels are always bad? Viva La Revolución!
5-new.jpg

Excellent!

Now that the rebel problem is solved, the new Malik can focus his energy on the Hausa Policy!

Impressive. Two updates and you've already managed to change your government via rebellion. But I have a slight qualm...a bloodless revolt? Where were the needless executions and violence?

I'm sorry Duke, it may take me a while to get out of the Horde mentality ;)

On another note, without asking you to spoil future updates and storylines, do you intend to keep writing your own events for this AAR too?

KB are tribal aren't they. Did that revolution change your form of Government?

Well that's one way to get rid of your king...er, malik. ;)

A stroll around the lake, indeed. A perfect circle, really. I applaud your forethought. I would have followed behind them and tried to take it back. I'm quessing there aren't too many fortresses down there. Of course, that's why I don't play such out of the way countries. I tend to screw up early (and late if I ever get that far.) :rolleyes: