Just the facts, ma'am : collected information from the devs - READ BEFORE POSTING!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamespot video: http://www.gamespot.com/events/gamescom-2012/video.html?sid=6391927

new facts:

- Timespan is 1444 till late 18th century (start right after the battle of Varna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Varna) probably.
- Reduced impact of spies but increased presence of diplomacy
- Technology system completely overhauled
- Islands of Denmark are linked by ice in the winter. Effects of this still unclear.

New trade system example (playing Venice):
Placed a merchant in Alexandria (trade route hub) so more trade (money) went over the route through Venice. Then placed a merchant in Venice on the trade route to take more money out of the trade route.

Trade centers have a certain region, the more provinces you have in that region the more influence you have in the trade center.

Placing a fleet in Crete (owned by Venice, part of the Alexandria trade region) and ordering it to patrol the trade route from Alexandria will give more influence and thus more money going your way.

Trade routes will change in importance over time. At the start most will go through the Mediterranean and the Silk route but when Portugal finds the way around Africa more and more trade will go through that way. The more the Americas get colonized, the more trade comes from the west etc.

Paradox Studio manager Johan Andersson Really wants to make a ck2 to eu4 savegame converter at the release but doesn't promise anything.

Probably missed a few things so go watch the video (you definitely missed the beautiful map if you didn't look!).

@Don_quigleone: You're right, my imagination went to fast :p

Last edited:
updated with the gamespot video.

(Click the brand new "spoiler" button at the top to view what was added in the update).

That international interface in the diplomacy tab looks interesting; I like the idea of shields in a row instead of a list :) . Also, if trade does indeed reflect the events of the Age of Discovery as Johan described, then I am very intriged.

That's not clear, he didn't actually explain the effect of ice.

And even with the little ice age, and minus-C degrees, the time it takes for the temperature of the sea to adjust and eventually freeze is over a month, and such severe weather in Denmark has always been highly unusual (so when it does happen in a year it usually only lasts for a few days in January before it's broken up by the sun). It certainly shouldn't be an all-winter thing, at least.

How is this confirmed? In the video, the game is started at 1444, but that doesn't mean Johan couldn't reverse the time back.

1)At 0:33 of the video, Johan click "Single Player". The game load the SP screen, and the date is set by default to November 11 1444.
2)On the same screen, we see the first bookmarks: Rise of the Ottomans, 11/11/1444.
3)At 1:00 Johan says "You play from 1444"

Let's be serious : that's more than enough to mark this confirmed.

1444 is confirmed. However, I'd say it's still subject to change. Changing the starting date is child's play, as all the required research already exists from EU3. It's a matter of how good a start date it is, as the vast majority of games will always start on the default start date.

Yes; it is subject to change for sure.

But it's confirmed that at present it's the start date.

Looks like the hard work is done.

1)At 0:33 of the video, Johan click "Single Player". The game load the SP screen, and the date is set by default to November 11 1444.
2)On the same screen, we see the first bookmarks: Rise of the Ottomans, 11/11/1444.
3)At 1:00 Johan says "You play from 1444"

Let's be serious : that's more than enough to mark this confirmed.
1) Not really a confirmation.
2) Same as 1.
3) I missed that sorry.

I'm so glad the start date has been pushed back from 1399 to 1444. I never liked how it was pushing into CK territory. Back off and stay in your era EU. :mad:

On colonization:

Trade and trade routes will be important when it comes to establishing and profiting from colonies. (King 17-08-2012)
There are going to be other benefits from colonies than trade income (Johan 18-08-2012)

Last edited:
It is a better game, though. I personally prefer Europa, but that's because I prefer the theme and setting. As far as game design go, CK II > EU III by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.