Just look what you can do with dev mode and base game assets.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mazisky

Major
16 Badges
Feb 26, 2019
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
I've just found this video that show how gorgeous the game can look with just the dev mode enabled and a good amount of creativity.

I am very critical about the game and its current state but nobody can deny this is just beautiful work.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I suspect there is a lot of work behind it, it doesn't look at all like the standard game
I agree. I have seen some YouTubers using tools we don’t have access to. I am guessing they are maybe using a mod to get access?

This game has so many issues between performance and simulation that I truly don’t believe they will ever get it working 100%. No idea how they dropped the ball this badly and didn’t see it coming. They were not even close to being ready for release and out this game out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This game has so many issues between performance and simulation that I truly don’t believe they will ever get it working 100%
I agree on the status of the game, but I'm more optimistic. Performances are indeed a major issue, however if there are mods already fixing some aspect of the game dynamics, I think it can be done.

If something good came out of SimCity was the proof that you can kill a historical franchise and wipe it out of the market, no matter how famous and established. CS is not *that* historical yet, but it should prove to be a good enough motivation to address the issues. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
I agree on the status of the game, but I'm more optimistic. Performances are indeed a major issue, however if there are mods already fixing some aspect of the game dynamics, I think it can be done.

If something good came out of SimCity was the proof that you can kill a historical franchise and wipe it out of the market, no matter how famous and established. CS is not *that* historical yet, but it should prove to be a good enough motivation to address the issues. :D
History also tends to repeat itself. We will see what happens.

I hope they fix it, could be a great game. However unlike you I am not optimistic that CO will get it there. Lost pretty much all faith in them after this. I am now in a show me, instead of I trust you to do it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've just found this video that show how gorgeous the game can look with just the dev mode enabled and a good amount of creativity.

I am very critical about the game and its current state but nobody can deny this is just beautiful work.
No, you can't do this with just dev mod and creativity. Read the description: "The build uses quite a number of mods on Thunderstore, including Extra Landscaping Tools, Water Features and Anarchy." The textures are not vanilla either, they're the ones from Chamëleon TBN's texture pack.

• 4Like
Reactions:
However..... it goes to show what is possible and that there is a modding community active, albeit using a platform that is not officially supported.

If at some point a future release of the vanilla game will break some or many of the features in the Thunderstore is debatable. That said, as things are, it opens up a world that adds a dimension of enjoyment for detailers and gives the game some longevity while CO/PDX sort themselves out. CO/PDX must be aware of what the Thunderstore community is doing and they would be stupid to ignore the benefits of it. Even so, it wouldn't surprise me if a "mummy knows best" mentality may result in a food whisk being thrown into the machine causing all kinds of modding/detailing misery at some point in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
However..... it goes to show what is possible and that there is a modding community active, albeit using a platform that is not officially supported.
Actually the active modding community is just about a dozen authors of a handful of code mods. If the editors had been released with the game, we would have thousands of maps, buildings, props, textures, trees, themes, cars etc. from hundreds of modders, including the ones from the region packs.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Actually the active modding community is just about a dozen authors of a handful of code mods. If the editors had been released with the game, we would have thousands of maps, buildings, props, textures, trees, themes, cars etc. from hundreds of modders, including the ones from the region packs.

Agreed - hard to know what is holding CO/PDX back - it seems like it would have been a great demonstration of intent to offer something early on, even if it is basic.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed - hard to know what is holding CO/PDX back
For all we know, the editors are so badly bugged CO's in over its head. Quoting Mariina:

Map editing is expected to be available sooner than the Asset editing, but at this time it comes down to iteration time and the feedback we’re getting on the usability of the tool. Asset editing is unfortunately suffering from technical issues and as long as players are unable to save and share the assets there’s no point publicly releasing the tools. We do have a plan for the fixes, but it might take months in the worst case I’m afraid.
To summarize on the priorities of the modding support:

1. Public Beta version of code modding and Paradox Mods will be available in the live build by the end of March
  2. Public Beta version of Map editing available in the live build together with code modding or soon after
  3. Public Beta version of Asset editing to be announced, only after the technical issues are sorted can we roll out the tool
  4. Continue to work on the modding support and get out of the Beta stage during the Finnish fall.
So we shouldn't hold our breath. Coming from a company whose modding is now almost legendary, both in quality and quantity, and after marketing the region packs from talented modders from all over the world, this is outrageous.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For all we know, the editors are so badly bugged CO's in over its head. Quoting Mariina:

So we shouldn't hold our breath. Coming from a company whose modding is now almost legendary, both in quality and quantity, and after marketing the region packs from talented modders from all over the world, this is outrageous.

I was trying to be a little diplomatic in my response but I do completely agree with you. CO have an out of control application with so many problems, and a small team which doesn't have the capacity to fix enough of the problems quickly enough so as to satisfy a diverse set of expectations from the customer base.

The problems are so wide spread and so fundamental that I don't think CO really know where to start. I could list a few issue which annoy me, but I wont, we all have our own hot spot ones.

It would seem to be a race to avoid litigation and to try to have something suitable for the console and DLC community so as to fund on going support. Their approach to customer liaison has done nothing to endear them to the market - so future sales are very heavily compromised, and so will be development as a consequence.

The modding community could do lots to bail them out, but they have to let them in first.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Aside from when bugs hit, I don't think there's been many complaints about the game graphically.
Sure painting a beatiful scene / city is one thing... and I agree, CS2 can look stunning (especially if they finish all the hidden stuff, like ground textures/grass/etc) but I didn't buy it for just that, so whilst that can be great, the rest of the game is in a right mess. If they can't make it so the title screen doesn't require an array of quantum computers to run, then what hope is there.

I do wonder what that vid looks like outside of being cinematic, a flood of warning icons, maybe low to zero population and all just plopped things that aren't working
Oh and its not vanilla. "The build uses quite a number of mods on Thunderstore"

I want to be positive about CS2, but I just can't bring myself too, until they own up properly and dedicate resources to fix it...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Some mods and base props and it's another game... There are a lot of things aviable in game hidden to the user...
Cities2_2024_02_11_01_21_46_593.png
Cities2_2024_02_11_21_06_02_421.png

• 1Like
Reactions: