• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dagrinch66

Recruit
9 Badges
Jul 2, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Have been spending about 2 hours reading through threads and nothing has fixed my launcher crash, I just installed the game today, so it has never opened fully. I have no mods installed and have downloaded all the directx and such links from other forum posts to no avail. I have tried clean uninstall and reinstall but have yet to have anything work. Im not super computer savvy but kinda know my way around a computer. I have exhausted every idea I can think of but, still can't get the game to launch.

Im on a windows 10 Laptop and I can run HOI4 on it just fine with no issues, I dont know if that is connected to this but I thought it might be useful information since its a Paradox game that also requires a launcher to start. Any help is appreciated!

Please edit Documents/paradox/ck2/settings.txt to say:
Code:
    fullScreen=no
    borderless=yes

IF that doesn't help, please Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add ck2game.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox/CK2/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

• 1Like
Reactions:
Alright, I did everything you said with no luck. the folder "Documents/paradox/ck2/settings.txt" does not exist on my PC, even after uninstalling and reinstalling CK2 on Steam. So I was unable to do the code you required and am unable to attach it here. Is there a reason these files would be missing? besides the DirectX files the only files in CK2 document folder are gfx and logs.

attached below are my DXDIAG files:

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    82,6 KB · Views: 0
The game is crashing in the nVidia driver:
Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 1169497870071694113, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: CK2game.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5eb2aca8
P4: nvd3dumx.dll

which is from 2016. Please update it from here:

Good luck!

I have been experiencing the same issue, with my launcher not opening, but the listed fixes do not seem to work.

I have played CKII earlier on this PC, but it has been a while. After recently installing the game again, it does not run. I am experiencing an issue with EUIV as well, where the launcher does open, but the game does not launch (I do not know if this is a related issue, but it might be useful information).

I have updated my NVidia drivers, and validated my files in Steam, but to no avail.

Here are my attached files:

Attachments

• settings.txt
    2,2 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    117,1 KB · Views: 0
I have been experiencing the same issue, with my launcher not opening, but the listed fixes do not seem to work.
Then you have a different issue in fact :) In future best to start your own thread, thanks.

I don't actually see a cause of your problem in those files unfortunately. In th eplace where you got system.log is there an error.log and exceptions.log too ?

And for EU4:
Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log , exceptions.log