• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And they're off... :) Nice round-up of the old stagers.

comagoosie said:
I sense that you packed a couple AARs into a few paragraphs :D

Great going!

2 Free Company Books to be precise. One day after this AAR, I might just do one AAR on the early history of Chen Hui. Should be another interesting project.

That's rather ambitious, RW.....I've never even considered doing that with Amric....It's seems rather....daunting....:)

Are there any native americans in the free company? Aboriginals? Inuits? :D
But that thing that I don' have read other free companies won't hurt me that much... probably... I hope. :)

I'll be reading this one for sure...

..but will we finally see the secret behind preparing vlak (IIRC) ?

EDIT: seeing some earlier comments, that was almost correctly remembered.. wlak it is :)

Last edited:
And now my post is up....:)

Amric said:
That's rather ambitious, RW.....I've never even considered doing that with Amric....It's seems rather....daunting....:)

Looked like Amric had quite a story to tell. You should consider telling his life story as well. Sounds interesting. ;)

RW, nah....All that is pretty much in the previous Free Company books.

Comagoosie - As detailed above, this was pretty much just a synopsis of Amric's life. Strange life, indeed. But a rather full one.

I frankly don't see anything wrong with fathering children out of wedlock in the 1400s, especially when the father is such a fine and worthy gentleman as this fellow was in his early years. Why would anyone possibly be annoyed?

And more seriously, stay that annoyed long enough to get him castrated years later? Great people, those.

No the mongols of the Golden Horde castrated him. All part of their torture of him. Had nothing to do with the ticked off father in England.

Enewald said:
This is madness! :p
Evil politicians. :)

Hmm... so they all live in Ancona?
Always sunny. :D

Such has been the ways of politicians even today.

Yes. Ancona has been the base of the Free Company some ten years now.

How come the Ming emperor is with the army? I thought the Eunuch WangZhen was commanding it and the emperor just stayed behind in the capital. No word on the emperor being with the army in your first Tumu Fortress scene.

It's also hard to believe 50 000 soldiers + horses + equipment fit into a regular border fortress. Must a HUGE fortress then.

Just some thoughts.

Good writing though, I like it.

Qorten said:
How come the Ming emperor is with the army? I thought the Eunuch WangZhen was commanding it and the emperor just stayed behind in the capital. No word on the emperor being with the army in your first Tumu Fortress scene.

It's also hard to believe 50 000 soldiers + horses + equipment fit into a regular border fortress. Must a HUGE fortress then.

Just some thoughts.

Good writing though, I like it.

The Emperor is officially the commander, although it's actually WangZhen who is actually pulling the strings. This comes from the fact that WangZhen is the Emperor's childhood tutor and as a result has enormous influence over him.

As for Tumu, I did some research on Tumu but different accounts gave different accounts of it. Some put it down as a fortress, others as a post station. In this AAR, i decided to use it as a fortress to make the story more interesting. However what's real is that the mongols really did defeat the Ming forces at Tumu in 1449 and the Emperor himself was captured at that battle.

And also, Chinese border fortresses can be huge, especially those along the border with mongol border as large garrisons had to be stationed to guard against the raiding tribes. So no surprise actually if a border fortress can really hold 50,000 men in China.