• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vynd

Minister of Truth Enhancement
5 Badges
Jul 26, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
There is a thread ("Join Alliance?") in the Discussion forum where many people are complaining about being unable to join alliances as a minor, almost no matter what the circumstances. Among other things several people have mentioned that when they ask to join a major alliance the message they get says something along the lines of: "Britain refuses to join your allaince."

It sounds like there must be a confusing typo here at the very least, and possibly a serious problem in forming alliances, so I thought someone should bring it to the attention of this forum...

Upvote 0
For the first part of the post there is nto a lot I can do. This is not a bug but a feature. There are 3 alliances a major heads each one and there are no other allainces. It may make minors less fun, but it is what the designers wanted.

As for the second part there seems to be too parts. One is that minors find it hard to join allainces. That could be feature (I am sure it was designed to make allaince building harder compared to EUII). Second part the message is something I can do about. I will look into, please watch this space.

unaligned minors and diplomacy

I did not see the thread mentioned above. However, I can confirm this. Playing 2 games as an unaligned Netherlands I was able to avoid war with Germany and survive for some time.

Later on, hoping to leap upon the victory band wagon, I attempted to join the Allies alliance (myself being fully in the democratic camp) and was promptly refused - nop matter how often I tried it - just did not seem possible.

A second problem that I see with unaligned minors is that they are unable to liberate countries. Again, playing as the Netherlands, I wanted to liberate Belgium and France (Germany was fighting Russia at the time) - I controlled all provinces in both countries and the liberate option never appeared.

I understand that minors aren't allowed to form their own alliances, and I don't have any problem with it. But they ought to be able to join the major alliances with some regularity. Too many people are reporting this problem for it to be due to simply not understanding what is really required to get into an alliance. And while it may not count for much, the rulebook states that if you offer to join an alliance (which by definition means you meet the requirements for membership, right?) then the alliance will always accept you, but this obviously isn't happening.

Also, when i was playing as Germany, and tried to get USSR to join (which it says in docs that it can), I get the message "You can't join their Alliance". Using ver 1.01

I am also using 1.01. My problem is while playing as Germany I cannot get Italy to join the axis. I also look in Germany's event file and noticed there is not an event for it. So the player has to do it. Unfortunately Italy is fully fascist and should be an ally in the first place............how could you fix this?

Any update on this?

For a while it was listed in the bug thread as a minor problem but seems to be absent now.

A quick review of the problem using SF 1.01:
As a minor nation I try to join an alliance. The window pops up and it says that the nation I tried to join would not join MY alliance. I do not enter the alliance either.

As a side note if I declare war I will not join one of the other sides like it says in the manual.