Join the Stellaris 3.3 Grand AI Tournament now! :)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hey i saw your spreadsheet back when you first posted it and and got reminded today by a reddit post on the stellaris subreddit and searched hoping for an update, is there a chance to get an up to date results of the tournament if there is one? The spreadsheet is amazing data for designing custom ai empires.

Here you go and screenshots as well: -

1652125980517.png

1652126018490.png

After Overlord drops, I'll add in the new Civics, Origins etc and post it in the dedicated thread I made somewhere.

Enjoy and congrats to all participants, again.

Attachments

• ThoughtfulGaming Round 1 Galaxies.xlsx
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I just tested my empires, using settings similar to the tournament's. It happened to be an interesting story.
While my Cherk Swarm was expanding peacefully, the UNE and the Nagyari attacked them from both sides. They failed. Soon the Galactic Community declared crisis war on the Cherk. This forced them to choose Become the Crisis a few years later.
1.png

When the Cherk was winning, Nation of Kosh'Kha finally joined the Galactic Community to help prevent the crisis. But their fleets mostly moved back and forth in safe space.
2.png

Meanwhile, Bebaki Cleansers casually backstabbed fellow members in the Galactic Community. My poor Prime Index. And this guy twice elected the Galactic Custodian.
3.png

The Cherk fully became Crisis around 2390. Their Star-eaters were unstoppable. On the bright side, when 200 years ended, no empire was completely wiped out, yet.
4.png

My empires are ready for the coming tournament :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
That looks really interesting, thanks for sharing.

So according to the tournament rules, the Nation of Kosh'kna won, a lot less fleet power but pops seem to add a lot in the victory score. Nice to see a none-swarm (devouring?) win!

(attached the new version of the league incase anyone wants)

Attachments

• League.xlsx
    121,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The clone origin stuff hurts my heart since I made a special solution for them, it seems it doesn't work. Thanks for bringing it up!
From my observation, if the clone origin empire chooses Expansion tradition first, their new colony starts with 2 pops, then they can build clone vat before pops die out. The easy solution for clone origin is :
+ New colony starts with 2 pops until they become clone descendant.
- Home world starts with 1 clone vat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, there, back from a work project. I get it the bugs are still wonky?
Anyone got a guess when 3.4.4 will come out?

I'll be working on the new tournament starting next week and will announce when we're ready to accept new empires here in the Thread, on our Discord and on the YT Channel and possibly on Twitter and will reach out to Mr Freake. Also, will make a new Thread for the new empires when that will go forward.

@Foxosaur thank you a lot for updating the spreadsheet, I'll find a way to work with it from the beginning, that's part of the preparation as when I start with it, it will be quite handy I think and will not amount in much more work. But I'll try it out and think a bit about my work process :D We might still need some volunteers for updating the sheet online. If we can somehow split up the work that would be great, it's usually a bit much for one person alone.

All the best and see you soon, your
Immanuel Can

Anyone got a guess when 3.4.4 will come out?

Only blind ones. We might know more after tomorrow's dev diary (if there is one).

But good to hear about the new tournament. The worst bugs got fixed, but it's probably best if you don't run any galaxies until they actually do release 3.4.4. What number of participants and what format of competition did you have in mind? Same as last time?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Only blind ones. We might know more after tomorrow's dev diary (if there is one).

But good to hear about the new tournament. The worst bugs got fixed, but it's probably best if you don't run any galaxies until they actually do release 3.4.4. What number of participants and what format of competition did you have in mind? Same as last time?
Hey there, yes, might be like last time, meaning we'll see how many will come and fix it while it goes. But the galaxy format will stay the same, it usually works well on default.

Wanting to find a way to integrate Foxosaurs spreadsheet but still cannot estimate how much time that will add, if any. Wanting to keep the tournament progress smooth, I have to calculate that a bit.

A community member of mine has found out there is a hidden bias in starting positions that gives the player some automatic opposition instead of randomly selected empires nearby. Maybe I'll use a mod for random starting positions because of that. But I'll also test the theory. Or does someone have code insight about that?

Also, still, Hives and Genocidals seem to have an edge because of their reduced complexity in gameplay. Don't really know how to balance them.. I tend to go for as few rules as possible.

All the best, your
Immanuel Can

Hey there, yes, might be like last time, meaning we'll see how many will come and fix it while it goes. But the galaxy format will stay the same, it usually works well on default.

Wanting to find a way to integrate Foxosaurs spreadsheet but still cannot estimate how much time that will add, if any. Wanting to keep the tournament progress smooth, I have to calculate that a bit.

A community member of mine has found out there is a hidden bias in starting positions that gives the player some automatic opposition instead of randomly selected empires nearby. Maybe I'll use a mod for random starting positions because of that. But I'll also test the theory. Or does someone have code insight about that?

Also, still, Hives and Genocidals seem to have an edge because of their reduced complexity in gameplay. Don't really know how to balance them.. I tend to go for as few rules as possible.

All the best, your
Immanuel Can
maybe hives, normals, machines, and genocidals should play in their own galaxies?

Reactions:

All the best, your
Immanuel Can
maybe that is not even realy needed anymore. because everyone and theire moms go into an subject contract as soon as they meet each other a devouring swarm will never have the option again to fight one on one.

• 1Like
Reactions:

All the best, your
Immanuel Can

You could run galaxies as normal, and if gestalts and genocidals are still unbalanced at some point exile them to a separate galaxy from "normal" empires

• 1Like
Reactions:
The swarms used to conquer fast thanks to their numerous small fleets. Now they merge them into a few large fleets, they are not much stronger than other empires.
2 large swarm fleets mess around with 2 smaller fleets of normal empires. The difference is small.

None of my empires is going to be devouring swarm.

• 1Like
Reactions:

A while back a dev (forgot which one exactly) said he checked the code and found nothing to that effect. How did the community member find this out? Systematic tests of starting placement?

As for rules, I think that apart from trying to put a varied mix of governments into each galaxy we don't need too many. The only thing I would impose is no origins that create AI empires (Lost Colony, Scion, Common Ground, Hegemon, Imperial Fiefdom).

We got a filler dev dary this week, so 3.4.4 is apparently still a way off. Two weeks is possible, but likely overly optimistic. A month or so seems more realistic.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I usually choose UNE when I create a galaxy to test my empires. While it is random for UNE, most of the time their lost colony, Commonwealth of Man, spawns in a favorable starting position. Not sure if it is intended.

• 1Like
Reactions:

It looks like I was a tad too pessimistic and we'll get the 3.4.4 patch a week earlier than I anticipated. And it looks like it'll be worth the wait too. So I guess the signups can start now.

One suggestion about the format: we could have 12 empire galaxies with clusters placement. I've been testing it and while it doesn't spread the empires entirely evenly, it does divide the galaxy into 6 equal "pizza slices" and places 2 empires into each slice, making sure everybody gets a nearby neighbor (typically 4 jumps away). As a bonus having more empires per galaxy would allows us to have more empires in the tournament with the same number of galaxies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
As a bonus, here is a list of what sort of empires got paired up as "cluster buddies" in my tests. The results seem very random to me as they include pairs of empires that are natural enemies, pairs that would make best friends and pairs that are entirely unrelated in terms of ethics. I don't think there is any real evidence in favor of the antagonistic spawning hypothesis here but these were all premade empires. Maybe the antagonistic spawning still applies to randomly generated ones, but for our tournament we should be good.

Galaxy 1
authoritarian materialist + authoritarian pacifist
xenophile pacifist + hivemind
xenophile pacifist + egalitarian materialist
egalitarian pacifist + rogue servitor
authoritarian militarist + fanatic purifier
militaristic spiritualist + authoritarian militaristic spiritualist

Galaxy 2
xenophile militarist + authoritarian xenophile materialist
militaristic spiritualist + xenophile spiritualist
militaristic spiritualist + egalitarian materialist
xenophile pacifist + xenophobic pacifist