- Jan 10, 2016
Very good! I'll add that just in general, the AI plays some Origins really badly. This has probably not been noticed but could be easily corrected, just three examples that I've seen happen:
- Clone Army AI often fails to build an Ancient Clone Vat on their first and / or second colonies, leading to population die-out and the loss of the early colony. Only Clone Army AI with huge mineral production and the -15% building cost civic usually manages to do it in time regularily.
- Whenever the AI finds a Digsite, it prioritizes this digsite over all other exploration with science ships, meaning if it starts with "On the Shoulders of Giants" Origin, the AI will not survey systems and so not be able to expand until it has a second science ship that will then start to explore and survey systems. The first science ship will be glued to the home system digsite. So the AI will only expand realllllyyy late. In general, finding early digsites in their systems screws the AI up.
- Whenever it expands, AI will disallow early colonist jobs on new colonies, leading to unemployment, negative amenities and very low stability (~15%) there and often leading to devastating early crime / ethics / rebellion events for empires that do not have high bonus stability, happiness, or a way to offset it via species rights.
Because all of that happens so early, it has a big effect on AI performance with such bad starts.
Hoping that is interesting to @Offe as well
All the best, until soon, Your
To add or support this,
in my own tests
1) clone army had a death spiral with colonies dying out again and again until they went the non clone route or until they had migration treaties
2) in earlier versions i even gave every empire 2 science ships at start because all empires that did start with a digsite immediatly startet those and did not survey any system. that was a guaranteed dead empire right there. i think it is not as bad anymore but if you saw that still i might be wrong here.
3) not exactly the same but related, why should unemployed conquered pops that will be exterminated soon ever cause deviant drones negative stability or crime lord events. my own pops have things to do and dead men get no deals.
4) in my test i saw again and again a fleet sitting in the system, not knowing where to go. They wanted to attack a star base until my fleet arrived and they stopped. and after that they did not know what to do next. sometimes they start and cancel a move order again and again. seems to be some kind of AI loop where on code says "go", and another says "nope. Bad idea" and that is maybe a possible lag cause but surely just bad for waging war.
5) and i still saw a lot of fleets with 1 to 3 ships. a lot of mini fleets can't be good for performance.
Maybe those all get created when a fleet cant be reinforced, maybe we should test what happens when we always allow reinforcing. If the fleet is in combat reinforcement could go directly into the disengage pile. And if they would not be allowed to go into the system because of enemy fleets.. Well.. I do not know... maybe the ship should be not attackable until merged with the fleet in the same system. Something like that. in any case the mini fleets can't be good for performance.