• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some other tips..

- Always stick your ships in navalbases when resting, only there that they can repair.

- If you don't have any factories at all, getting a cement factory first is rather vital, as it increase the stability of your industry dramatically.

- If you attack an enemy, always make sure you control a supply line, or your reinforcementspeed will suffer greatly.

I'm having a hard time telling my Capitalists to build Cement factories. They all want to build Canning factories, which are very, very BAD as they lose money by the fist-fulls.

I WANT the Cement factories, but when I press the special button at the top and select the right kinds of factories I want, the Capitalists just ignore it and build the WRONG type of factories.

Now, I'm playing as Brazil, and things are a bit different there. Let me know what you think.

OH YA, one more thing: Sticky this tread pls!

they stack
Really everybody seems to have missed this. I'll go and try this out. Is the stacking bonus definitely working coreecty? Also does it matter how many men are left in a brigade?

I guess stacking units with no reconanacance value does nothing and this is what people have observed and wrongly inferred that stacking units with a reconanacence value does nothing eithor.

:) I just love being at the vicky forums now.. so nice and friendly atmosphere here.

Besides perhaps Stardock, I'd say you guys are the best game development company in terms of actual public relations. By PR I don't mean the BS we get through media, but actual developer participation in the forums. This is what makes you guys awesome and unique, and no matter what issues I/we may be having in the game, it is really special to know that we will most likely have our concerns directly addressed on the forums by people who actually had a hand in creating the game(s).

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Okay touchy feely time is over!

My Germany have an industrial score of 20 in 1865 despite 40 factories and I don't know what to do. :(

I used all my NF to promote craftsmen in the Rhineland and built up a huge industrial base there. You needs craftsmen to populate the factories or you just have a bunch of empty factories.

:) I just love being at the vicky forums now.. so nice and friendly atmosphere here.

well you must, 'cause you've done a wonderful job for vicky 2

a really nice atmosphere can be felt in vicky 2 forum

really diffrent from HoI forum where the players are all unsatisfied because of the game

for me, a HoI3 and EUIII gamer(for paradox game), your creation of vicky 2 is more than enough for me to play until HoI 3 and EUIII have a new expansion

by the way, like the new sprites and map, looks good in my eye

Last edited:
And I think it leaves something to be said about the average Hearts of iron fan compared to Victoria 2 fan ;)

- What I find the most efficienct way to get industrialisation going is to use NF to promote capitalists, especially in an area with high concentration of people.

- You can kickstart your economy by taking loans and invest in alot of infrastructure, just to let your factories, rgo's and artisans get money etc. Kind of like the real world.

- If you don't have any factories at all, getting a cement factory first is rather vital, as it increase the stability of your industry dramatically.
I don't find any of these helping with industrializing Prussia/NGF/Germany.

First, Capitalists seem to make exceptionally bad choices (that is, choosing to build factories for goods for which there already is an oversupply, e.g building the 4th machine parts factory when the whole current worldwide demand is below what a single single, non-extended factory can produce or choosing to build factories for which there is a huge undersupply of input goods, e.g regular clothes factories when the worldwide demand for fabric already exceeds supply by a factor of 2, and no, there isn't enough supply of fabric on the common market either so they will have to buy from the world market).

Also, the Capitalists seems to be totally cash starved (no wonder, there aren't any high profit factories around to get them a good inflow of cash) and they don't seem to be borrowing money from the national bank (which is overflowing with money from aristocrats).

So even if they finally get of their asses and build some factories, they go bankrupt within days of being opened. (Except when heavily subsidized, IF you have a party in charge that allows that).

Then there is a MAJOR problem in Prussia/NGF/Germany to get any craftsman into factories. Even with the use of NF to promote craftsman, farmers/labourers are extremely reluctant to change to craftsman.

They are making good money from the RGO and the population is still way below the point where the RGO is full, so there is no unemployment. Even with all industrial/cultural/commercial techs (I edited the savegame to try it out) fully researched and all inventions they enable active (to reduce RGO size), population in Germany is still insufficient to saturate the RGO's.

If I don't tax the poor heavily, they actually make so much money that they mostly promote to aristocrats (and some bureaucrats/clergy if sufficiently literate). Ending up in 1860 with 800k aristocrats and 80000 craftsmen in all of Germany.

If I do tax them heavily enough to stem the flow towards aristocrats, then the craftsman are constantly under the existence minimum (because of the stupid decisions the capitalists made when building their factories) and emigrate out of the country, or go back to being farmers/labourers in droves.

Depending on their product, artisans are either rich and promote to aristocrat (or some bureaucrats) or they are poor and demote preferably to farmer/labourer (RGO not full, good money) instead of craftsmen (bad money).

Overall, I find it almost impossible to industrialize Germany.

It's better with most other countries where the population is large enough to fill the RGOs and create sufficient unemployment to drive conversion to craftsmen, but even for them, many of the factories, even when well filled with craftsmen are only surviving because of subsidies as they either produce something for which there is a significant oversupply on the world market or try to produce something for which there is a significant undersupply of input goods on the world market.

I find that in multiple games I tried, If I check the other GPs with high industrial score around 1865 or later the only way they achieve that is by throwing between 25 and 60% of their total budget into subsidies as the large majority of factories either produce something which is hugely oversupplied, or try to produce something for which they simply cannot get the input goods at any price, because they are hugely undersupplied on the world market.

The economic model clearly needs more tweaking.

industrialization and diplomacy

First, Capitalists seem to make exceptionally bad choices
So even if they finally get of their asses and build some factories, they go bankrupt within days of being opened. (Except when heavily subsidized, IF you have a party in charge that allows that).

Then there is a MAJOR problem in Prussia/NGF/Germany to get any craftsman into factories. Even with the use of NF to promote craftsman, farmers/labourers are extremely reluctant to change to craftsman.

They are making good money from the RGO and the population is still way below the point where the RGO is full, so there is no unemployment. Even with all industrial/cultural/commercial techs (I edited the savegame to try it out) fully researched and all inventions they enable active (to reduce RGO size), population in Germany is still insufficient to saturate the RGO's.

If I don't tax the poor heavily, they actually make so much money that they mostly promote to aristocrats (and some bureaucrats/clergy if sufficiently literate). Ending up in 1860 with 800k aristocrats and 80000 craftsmen in all of Germany.

Overall, I find it almost impossible to industrialize Germany.

The economic model clearly needs more tweaking.

I quoted almost the whole message because is nothing but the truth!
I'm playing Sardinia-Piedmont/Italy and the problems are the same. Capitalist always choose the wrong factories that, without huge state subsidies (over £450,00 per day to fuel the 5 foolish fertilizer factories they continue to build!!), inevitably go bankrupt.

Then I tried to build on my own the right ones, but, as ElminsterAU said, farmers/labourers are so rich that they all became aristocrats, and no one cares about the craftmens NF I've set since the beginnig of the game. So a lot of factories remain empty. In 1870 out of 30M pops 7% are aristocrats and only 2% are craftmens, the case of clerks is even absurd since I've only 0,2% of them!!
Then I've tried starving the poor classes but since craftmen and farmers are in same class there is no change in promoting flow from the second to the first.

Xcapos posted same changes in the game settings to set this problem however I believe there's the need for quick official patch...

Other questions are related to the diplomatic sphere.
Overall diplomatic choices are very limited:
Why is so difficult (impossible in may case) to sign some good alliance? Even with a relationship of 200 both France and Prussia refuse it like being impossible! So I've had to beat the Austrians alone, that is historically implausible.
Why don't admit the possibility of tech agreement? Or selling/buying single provinces? no track even of non-belligerence agreements.
Why the only way to acquire land is by conquering the whole state? (f.i. Corsica is irrationally included in the Provence state, how can I get the only Corsica instead of the whole Provence as far as Marseille?!?!?!)
Why all diplomatic tools are another time only and ONLY bilateral?! What about Triple Alliance and Triple Entente? Why aren't allowed international Conferences to decide about international issues (see the Colonial ConferenceS about Africa, or the one about the Balkans wars to limit Russia) or to issue sanctions (also economic) to the States who exceed the infamy limit (instead of the old simple method of bilateral declaration of punitive wars)?
At least in the previous Victoria there was distinction between full alliances and only defensive ones, or was at least possibile to except same State from the range of the agreement.

I'm having a hard time telling my Capitalists to build Cement factories. They all want to build Canning factories, which are very, very BAD as they lose money by the fist-fulls.

I WANT the Cement factories, but when I press the special button at the top and select the right kinds of factories I want, the Capitalists just ignore it and build the WRONG type of factories.

Now, I'm playing as Brazil, and things are a bit different there. Let me know what you think.

With special button on the top I suspect you mean Production Screen->Factory Tab->Cement? That's just for filtering what factories are shown on that screen, nothing more.

You need to select a state (one with capitalists and lots of craftsmen if possible) and set a National Focus (symbol left of 'State administrative efficiency) on Basic Industry (symbol of Steel).

I quoted almost the whole message because is nothing but the truth!
I'm playing Sardinia-Piedmont/Italy and the problems are the same. Capitalist always choose the wrong factories that, without huge state subsidies (over £450,00 per day to fuel the 5 foolish fertilizer factories they continue to build!!), inevitably go bankrupt.

Then I tried to build on my own the right ones, but, as ElminsterAU said, farmers/labourers are so rich that they all became aristocrats, and no one cares about the craftmens NF I've set since the beginnig of the game. So a lot of factories remain empty. In 1870 out of 30M pops 7% are aristocrats and only 2% are craftmens, the case of clerks is even absurd since I've only 0,2% of them!!
Then I've tried starving the poor classes but since craftmen and farmers are in same class there is no change in promoting flow from the second to the first.

The problems are related. Craftsmen earn next to nothing in subsidized factories, so why be craftsmen? Or clerk?
Use NF to get profitable factories build, then use NF to get craftsmen.

Other questions are related to the diplomatic sphere.
Overall diplomatic choices are very limited:
Why is so difficult (impossible in may case) to sign some good alliance? Even with a relationship of 200 both France and Prussia refuse it like being impossible! So I've had to beat the Austrians alone, that is historically implausible.

I'd assume it's because they have different interests. Or because they consider you too weak compared to your enemies. I've just played USA so far, and none of my alliance offers was rejected.

Why don't admit the possibility of tech agreement? Or selling/buying single provinces? no track even of non-belligerence agreements.

That's a consequence of the abuse any trade system has experienced in other games. It's very hard for the AI (or even a human) to evaluate a potential trade. Getting a trade system that can't be abused would simply take too much time to develop - if it's even possible in a game this complex.

Why the only way to acquire land is by conquering the whole state? (f.i. Corsica is irrationally included in the Provence state, how can I get the only Corsica instead of the whole Provence as far as Marseille?!?!?!)

I agree that it's a bad design decision. On the other hand single island states would not add much to the game and add a lot of additional near zero utility states to clutter up interfaces.

Why all diplomatic tools are another time only and ONLY bilateral?! What about Triple Alliance and Triple Entente? Why aren't allowed international Conferences to decide about international issues (see the Colonial ConferenceS about Africa, or the one about the Balkans wars to limit Russia) or to issue sanctions (also economic) to the States who exceed the infamy limit (instead of the old simple method of bilateral declaration of punitive wars)?

Like above I think such a system would be too prone to abuse. It's better not to have such a system at all rather than having a broken one.
International conferences, while they'd be interesting and add a whole new dimension to the game, would be almost impossible to program for more than slightly ahistorical developments. Too much depended on experiences and developments that may or may not happen in the game. Getting such a system to work would probably take more work than the whole game so far.

At least in the previous Victoria there was distinction between full alliances and only defensive ones, or was at least possibile to except same State from the range of the agreement.

Nods. I miss these features, too. And the option to simply guarantee the independence of another state.
Or the option to call on an ally to help with a revolt.

Hopefully we'll see some of this in a patch.

* If your capitalists are busy building 10 of the same factory, that's the downside of LF/Interventionism. LF = free factories, not free useful factories.

If you can switch parties yourself, switch to one with State Capitalism (or Planned Economy) if you have to.

* If you have a 2 of the same factory that is highly unprofitable, and can build new factories: Build a new factory that you need in the state that has the unprofitable factory with the most workers. As soon as it completes, close the old one. The workers will all move to the new factory, and your other factory will now be more profitable (if not actually profitable).

* Factories have subsidies by default if you have the appropriate party. Turn them off on wildly unproductive factories to get them to close down.

* For LF, use NFs to encourage factories you want. Just keep in mind it may take 5-10 years, since they probably already have a project eating up their money. You're more likely to get what you want in a state that already has a factory.

It's funny... I hear all these complaints about industrialization problems -- I just got Egypt to Great Power (#6 currently, closing on #5), and I'm not really having any problems. I can pay my expenses on Tariffs alone (at 25%-ish) so don't really have to tax anyone (but I tax the poor to get them to promote). My Capitalists build factories and I have so much extra money that I can just subsidize them 80-90 and still put money in the bank (up to 200K now or something). Finding the source of the nile for 100 prestige is nice... now I'm just playing catchup with techs.

If anything it seems too easy to industrialize as Egypt -- I have one province that I took from ethiopia which literally has 300K+ in the national bank from aristocrats (which somehow make up 17% of that province's population).

For anyone who has problems with russia you must have problems. I find it extremely easy to play russia. I versed prussia in a humiliation war and won. Had excellent industry and the entire time on a liberal government

Always spending some on nat stockpile, as I dont want my economy to tank.

The nat stockpile is helping my economy? Even if I doesn't build something?

Great game btw. Didn't get much sleep in the last 2 days... ;)

I'm not really sure what "allow pops to buy from the stockpile" does, apart from send my economy into a wild deficit or a wild boom.

My addition to the "did you know this" list:

Army Leadership is the single most important military tech cathegory. Never, ever go to war if there's a significant chance your enemy has higher than you in it. The +100% Military Tactics it gives is (contrary to what the strategy guide says) multiplicative, not additive. *Every* level of it halves your casualties, meaning that if your relative level is one higher than your opponent's, you only take half as many casualties as he does, everything else equal, regardless of your absolute levels in it.

I found this out the hard way in my current game. I thought a difference between level 4 and 3 would be a difference of 1/4 casualties vs 1/3 casualties as the strategy guide would imply, and thought my highly experienced guards backed up by artillery would tear apart enemy conscript infantry with ease. Man I was wrong. Only when I caught up in Military Tactics mid-way during the war did the tide turn, and the poor conscripts started dying like they appropriately should. The difference was enormous. And yes, I reloaded the game as the other country to check that they had indeed one level higher in Military Tactics at start of the war.

-When industrializing as a secondary power, focus all research into romanticism and idealism and hire as many officers as possible.

(not mine, got them more another guy who's name i don't remember, but all credit to him/whoever gave him the tips).

And i have to agree, i like the atmosphere on this forum too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.