• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(36636)

Captain
Dec 5, 2004
Dear Johan,

First of all let me congratulate you for deciding a Europa Universalis III. We really needed that game. Now I love you and feel people like you who care so much for their fans are rare. I checked the FAQ and there are two questions for which there were no answers. If it is possible for you to answer these questions now I would much appreciate that:

1- Will the EU III have a complete explorable world map without PTI or there will still be PTI in the game? Also will the map and province boundaries be just as they are today or would they be like those of EU II? I think if the map and province boundaries are according to the present era it would not matter much as neither the EU II boundaries were exactly based on the era the game represented. A map according to the present era would give the map some meaning.

2- About the extent of moddability. I think the more moddable this game is the more appeal it would have. In case that the game has complete exact
world map with present era province boundaries and the game is very moddable, would it be possible for modders to create modern day scenarios with the additions of latest technologies like tanks, airpower, ships and nukes?

Please shed some light on these questions. Thanks

Martial-law :cool:

His answer is already in the Gamespot interview. More details will be forthcoming in March (and presumably will trickle in periodically as time goes by) but at this time there won't be any more detailed information released.

Just to comment, I think a completely explorable map with modern era province borders would not make EU3 a better game. Why should it be this way? Wouldn't it be better to draw it closer to the borders of the epoch in question. Prussia f.e. doesn't exist nowadays, and kaliningrad-east prussia doesn't really resemble a good part of it. Also, why extra tools for modern-day-scenarios? Why not make a map with roman provinces to have ancient world scenarios? Why not make a middle earth map and enable orcs to make LOTR mod creation easier? If you want to make MDS, you're better off modding HOI2 I guess. ;)

Martial-law said:
2- About the extent of moddability. I think the more moddable this game is the more appeal it would have. In case that the game has complete exact
world map with present era province boundaries and the game is very moddable, would it be possible for modders to create modern day scenarios with the additions of latest technologies like tanks, airpower, ships and nukes?
Perhaps you should consider to mod HoI2 or when it is out Doomsday. They fit what you want almost exactly.

Eh, yes, adding (modding support for...) aircraft to EU3 when there's already HoI seems pretty daft, no offense intended. :) As for provinces, I fail to see what would be gained by basing them on modern day borders? Why would that give the map more "meaning", than basing them on the time period covered?

anti_strunt said:
Why would that give the map more "meaning", than basing them on the time period covered?
Perhaps people today have no conception or realizations that many great men, civilizations, and events have come before them?