• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Replies

St. Just- Thank you! Actually I ended up receiving the modifier for 'division of the new world' so likely the pope just smacked me over the head and asked what I was doing since I was one of the claimants.

Urza- I have a policy against high taxes in a province that isn't a core with wrong religion, usually RR is already high enough there. These provinces will take a while to be profitable anyway (except Sus) so I don't feel the need to do anything else to make them a burden.

Gabor- You will see in the background of the screenshots this update on how that war turned out. I'll go a little more into it in the 1500 overview. Both you and Urza must be wizards regarding the 8 adm monarch, wait until you see what happens! Naval forcelimits are ok right now. I currently have about 10 ships less than I can support, Land is a bit tighter, by the end of this update I had hit my forcelimit, and am not going over it. I think Infi and Sus count as colonies, but Tangiers doesn't. Rio and Arguin are both colonies as well.

NACBEAST- Thank you! Usually I don't have to worry about losing Brazil by going for India first, but The Incas are about a 50/50 shot. If I had lost one of my armies in the war with Morocco I would have likely been sunk, fortunately I'm aware of these events and the weaknesses of the AI in exploiting them. With awareness and knowledge, usually patience is all that is needed to overcome. Probably the best advice I can give to any new MM player is patience.

AAR News

So I had a couple mentions about trade and world events. I had already played this Update when I checked for replies, so I Promise I will cover trade in my 1500 overview. What is this 1500 overview I keep mentioning? Well this update ends at the year 1500, so I will be doing an overview of the game so far after this update. It will include an overview of the map and political situation in Europe, an overview of my nation, including trade, policies, military, strategy, current issues, etc, an overview of my goals, which ones I accomplished and which ones have yet to be done, and finally an overview of the next century, my goals for it, and those goals updated to reflect the current game situation. So without further ado I present you with Update 6!

Update 6
1489-1499

With the war with Morocco over, it was time to focus once again on domestic affairs. Midway through the war I had another slider move, but didn't want to risk it while my armies were tied up in North Africa. I decided to move 1 towards centralization, with this outcome.
EU3_65.jpg

It had the added effect of making the Aristocrats furious again, however they calmed down only after a few months. By the end of this update all major factions were back to neutral, however by that time larger issues with the government had come to fore. I also began receiving the dynamic core events for my new provinces, which will likely take some time to core.
EU3_66.jpg

Having gotten the new King during the middle of conflict, I really hadn't had time to do any diplomacy in Europe. With the war over, I began royal marriages with the usual nations, and Also managed to sign an alliance with Aragon.
EU3_67.jpg

Worthy of note is that Aragon and Castile have been allied with a royal marriage 90% of the game, so I have no doubt we'll be seeing Spain in the next 50 years. Meanwhile progress towards my goal of India was finally back on track.
EU3_68.jpg

After this event I sacked one of my advisers and hired a Jewish spy master that conveniently offered his services not 3 months ago. My current king doesn’t hate Jews like the last one did, so thankfully I wont have any issues with this. As a bonus, my recent gains have led to me becoming a Major Power! At this point it seemed like the early game clouds were clearing, and the sunshine of the mid game was starting to show, sadly MM struck again.
EU3_69.jpg

EU3_70.jpg
If there were such a thing as a 14 point swing in MM, this would be it.

Adm 3. 3!!!! I'm in trouble now. Just to add insult to injury, you can add another colony to my AE burden as well.
EU3_71.jpg

I had sent this colonist before my King died, and he succeeded after the new one rose to power. I decided to make my new king a general immediately, and he ended up 1/0/4/0. The 4 maneuver rating led me to put him with a 1000 man army that would sit in Fernando Po to protect against the less than friendly natives. With any luck he'll catch malaria, but knowing the MM gods he will likely stick around for a LONG time. Damn.
EU3_73.jpg

This was the first reduction, but more would come quickly. Partly due to what in any other situation would be great news-
EU3_74.jpg

The effects of this event do everything from knock me out of balanced policies to gain me a rich CoT and a great new colony. However in the end the benefits will GREATLY outweigh the costs, so It is very much worth it. I end up having to take a loan, however an influx of cash comes from destroying the temples in Goa, and from this decision.
EU3_75.jpg
Founding an east India trade company, in case it's hard to see

So the worst that comes from the loan is 5 years of interest, annoying but manageable. I also waste no time making the next step towards exploration.
EU3_77.jpg
Brazil here i come!

Worthy of note at this time is that both the golden empires (Inca) route, as well as the middle passage route were still available. If the golden empires are still open when Brazil is discovered I'll be taking it, but were still further behind than I’d like so lets not get our hopes up.
EU3_78.jpg

This next picture shows the continual effects of my inept monarch. He is still sitting in Fernando Po, and I'm still waiting for him to die. In the background you can see another event to decide my colonial policy. I choose to go for trade supremacy. My newfound colonial progress also lends itself to a Colonial faction setting up shop in Ribajento.
EU3_80.jpg

And with that comes more exploration. I quickly get a slew of post-India events that lend themselves to more discoveries, and more opportunities for glory.
EU3_79.jpg

EU3_82.jpg

EU3_83.jpg

EU3_84.jpg

And with that I'll leave you with one last Picture, regarding Aragon going after Navarra.
EU3_81.jpg

Just another example of my less than perfect playstyle, I overlooked the fact that at some point this would happen. Castile also dishonored the call, but was allied with Aragon again by the end of the update. I tried to renew the alliance but was rebuffed, however possibly an alliance with Aragon wouldn't matter anyway, providing the crowns unite at some point in the near future. Anyway the Update has ended in the year 1500, and there is plenty to do. I didn't get a picture, however in 1498, I got the modifier for Overwhelmed administration, the worst modifier possible. I will go over my economy in detail in the 1500 overview, but lets just say for now that it hurts, and Inflation will be going up a bit more than I would like for the near future. Meanwhile Joao III still sits in Fernando Po, and has yet to die. For those of you thinking this is a tiny bit gamey, well it is- but I DO have a logical gameplay reason for it as well. Currently due to high native hostility even 1 unit faces attrition in the province, unless led by a general with a high maneuver stat. Joao's maneuver stat is 4. Therefore he keeps the army from dieing, while hopefully getting weaker every day on his own. I can only pray, until the next update!

Don't let the fact that you got that king let you down. At least you didn't get a noble opposition, apparently. ;)
You could try centralizing and switching to a administrative monarchy asap, to make up for the AE lack a bit. Unfortunate that your next 2 NI slots are already occupied so it will take another 100 years or so until you can take a AE-giving idea.

A tip (if you didn't know already, it isn't said in the manual) from one Portugal player to another: Conquering the province Muscat in South East Arabia (which was discovered with that 'Fortunate Legacy') will give you a great modifier for being able to exploit the East Indian Trade Route, totally worth it.

I appreciate this AAR. It resembles a recent game I have been playing with Portugal.

Everything went well until around 1510 when I got excommunicated for no apparently valid reason, framed after some provinces taken around Zanzibar, then overwhelmed administration, defeated by rebels, collapsed, lost Goa and Ceuta and went through a long chain of regencies and 3-3-3 kings. Around 1550 I left ...

Be very careful with the overextension of your empire, already "strained admin" is a pain!

Replies

Poloport- Hopefully he goes within the next 10 years. anything past that will strain my ability to progress. if he gets on too long I may have to consider building up a pretender. but I only will do that as a last option.

Urza- no noble opposition this time around thank god. however he may be deposed if he lives too long, as I just mentioned.:ninja: Thanks for the tip about muscat, I've incorporated in into this update. I do know of an event that mentions a monopoly on the spice trade, giving you 500 ducats and 4 moves towards market economy. however I have gotten that event before without Muscat so I'm unsure if that is the one you are mentioning.

Hastu neon- Thank you! That is a pretty rough stream of events in your game. Currently I am at overwhelmed administration, the worst modifier possible. I hope things change soon.

Game Overview
Year of our Lord 1500

International Overview

Firstly we take a look at our immediate vicinity.
EU3_85.jpg

After I crushed Morocco, they were left with over 25 WE, -3 stability, an army of roughly 3000, and in a war with Algiers. Algiers obviously won that war, not only managing to curbstomp what was left of Morocco, but also take a province from Tunisia as well. They are now the major power in North Africa. Currently I have no further plans of expansion in this theatre, therefore peaceful relations with Algiers are a priority. I have been considering a quick war against Morocco to force them to relinquish the cores they have on my provinces, but no other military action in this area should be necessary for the next 100 years.
In Iberia, Aragon is currently warring Navarre, however no other conflict of note has happened since Castile finished the Reconquista. Castile and Aragon have had a RM all game, with an alliance 90% of the time as well. There is no reason not to believe that in the next 100 years Spain will be present on the world stage. Also of note is that Castile has been colonizing somewhere, due to the division of the new world event. Likely the Bahamas, considering the other exploration routes are still open for the Incas and the Middle Passage.

Northern and Central Europe
EU3_86.jpg

England has been busy since our alliance ended, taking 2 provinces from Scotland to make up for the loss of Gascony. They also still hold Calais. Burgundy has yet to be split between the HRE and France, but have yet to receive kingdom status, so likely the event that decides their fate has yet to fire. Right now they are fighting Austria (who is the HRE) over their aggressive moves into the empire. France is currently at peace, having diploannexed most of their vassals, but haven’t gone after Brittany yet, despite having the cores to do so. The only other thing to note is that Saxony was inherited by Thurigna, which happens in most games that I see. Saxony is the first nation I ever played a game of EU III with, so I always root for them a bit and feel bad when they inevitably die.

Southern Europe
EU3_87.jpg

As usual most of the Early game action not centering around myself has been happening here. The Ottomans took out most of the rest of Greece, excluding Athens at the time. They currently are at war with the Knights, with no conclusion yet in sight. Austria, when not dealing with matters pertaining to the HRE, has been happy to secure Hungary's borders for them. I always Kind of hope that Austria Inherits Hungary, though I don't see it that often. Perhaps Austria should Inherit them as often as Thurigna inherits Saxony, and vice-versa? It certainly would be a bit more historical without being any more deterministic than the Ottomans stomping the Malmuks EVERY game (more on that shortly).
Italy has as usual been a huge clusterf*ck. Tuscany took Romagna from the Pope, and Venice has been in about 50 wars. At one point the Ottomans held the coastal province right below Venice, however I never mentioned it because I felt it would eventually revolt, which was correct. Modena ended up with it, and has been a surprise candidate in the fight for Italian supremacy, successfully picking up several Venetian provinces after Venice lost a war with Austria that they were lucky not to lose territory in. Yet they may just end up peacing out for ducats, so I might be speaking too soon.

Eastern Europe
EU3_88.jpg

A lot has been going on here as well. Poland is at war with Austria, the same one that Venice backed out of earlier. Things currently aren't going well for Poland, and it is obvious why. Muscovy, in between successful wars with Novgorod, Smashed Poland and Lithuania (who to this date still are in a union) and managed to grab several provinces. I think it is safe to say that within the next century we will see Russia as well. I only hope they do a decent job of smashing the Tartars and heading east as they did historically.

The Middle East
EU3_89.jpg

Nothing too unusual here. The Ottomans have ran a train through the Malmukes, who are currently at war with Ethiopia. The Ottomans have also managed to reach the Persian Gulf, and all the fighting has caused Gaza to become uninhabited. Apparently Persia is yet to form, and the Georgians are holding their own nicely right now. The only other interesting thing in this shot is Modena holding Crete, apparently Venice's navy is in splinters, as that is the only way I can imagine them losing Crete to anybody who is not the Ottomans.

India

I Didn't take a picture of India as I still know so little about it, same goes with Africa. I currently hold Goa and Fernando Po, with Goa bordering the Bahamids on all sides, and Hausa on the mainland near Fernando Po. South Africa has also been discovered, as well as parts of Swahili. My plan for the next century is to take the good provinces from Swahili and Mutapa, The Island of Socotra from Yemen, and Muscat from Oman (thanks for the tip Urza.) Currently I don’t have Plans for further Expansion in India, barring Ceylon. I also Plan to Colonize South Africa.

National Overview

The Cabinet
EU3_90.jpg

Currently 3 banker Advisers as nothing better has come up. Note that I now have the Prestige necessary for a hiring fair but my King doesn't have the Administrative skill needed to start one. Speaking of which this is the worst King I have had for a while, and mostly it is due to timing. He would have been very useful in the war against Morocco, but in peacetime he is as useful as a bucket with a hole in it.

Technology and Economy
EU3_91.jpg

I currently am investing in Trade tech, however I may switch more to government in order to rush Administrative Monarchy. Government is currently my highest, followed by Naval. Production lags behind considerably as I never invest in it, for a Portugal game it is rather useless, as compared to an Austria or France game. I will probably switch between Trade and Government for the time being. I also am minting to keep my finances balanced. Currently at this rate Inflation rises at .20/year. Hopefully with the repayment of the loan and Fernando Po becoming self sufficient that will come down soon.

Military Adm.
EU3_92.jpg

Currently I am over my Land Forcelimits, but only because I have maintenance on minimum. With It at full the Forcelimit is 23. Worthy of note is that the Limit is so low due to the 'Overwhelmed Administration' modifier. Naval Forcelimits are fine however.

Government, Ideas, and Sliders.
EU3_93.jpg

Taking Goa knocked my sliders way out of whack. Current goal is to head straight for centralization, followed by free trade. Everything else can wait. Taking the Colonial Ventures idea was a well intentioned mistake. I should have gone for Bureaucracy, which will be what I choose when I finally get a free Idea, at Gov tech 24. I plan to get Administrative Monarchy ASAP, eventually I will be going for Absolute Monarchy, then Enlightened Despotism.

Ledger

National Statistics
EU3_94.jpg

Despite my continual Issues, I am 4th in the world in income, a good sign. The only 3 ahead of me are the usual suspects, So I must be doing something right to be in this position. Imagine what it would be like without the 'Overwhelmed Administration” modifier!

Income Overview
EU3_95.jpg

Trading is now my primary source of Income, with taxes and Production further down the line. I have 5 merchants in both Lisboa and Goa. Taxes will pick up eventually with better administration, but production won't likely play a huge factor this game in the long run. Expect taxes to trump production within the next 100 years, with gold income likely jumping as well due to eventual conquests. Trade will still be the Highest, especially once Market Economy is reached and I can really send out Traders.

Army size
EU3_96.jpg

I currently have the 13th largest armed forces in the world. Algiers is my closest rival, and what you can't see are Castile, France, Ming, and Muscovy at the top. Also note Austria has artillery. Currently they are the only nation with the Technology to build it.

Navy Size
EU3_97.jpg

Currently I have the 7th largest navy in the world, however only England has more big and small ships. This will be rectified soon enough, however it suffices to say that within 100 years I can easily become one of the top naval powers of the world, if not the top.

Army Organization
EU3_98.jpg

I currently have 6 Armies, and will detail their roles and sizes here.

Guarda Real- 6/3/0. The main army, sits in the capitol and polices the home provinces currently. Will be the most used in any warfare situation.

Terco de Africa- 2/1/0. Polices Infi, Sus, Rio, and Arguin.

Terco de Moracca- 4/2/0. Polices Tangiers and Ceuta

Terco de India- 2/1/0. Polices Goa.

Terco de Fernando Po 1/0/0- Polices Fernando Po. Will be combined with Terco de India when Fernando Po becomes self-sufficient.

Terco de Explora 1/0/0- Discovers new provinces with the Land Expedition at It's helm. Moves anywhere needed, currently resting in Goa.

Naval Organization.
EU3_99.jpg

I currently have 3 Navies, their roles and sizes documented here.

Armada Real 11/9/0/0. The main battle fleet, consisting of Ships of the Line and smaller screening sloops.

Armada Transporta 0/0/0/12. The transport fleet that ferries large armies for battle.

Armada Explora 0/0/0/1. The navy that transports the Terco de Explora to new shores.

Goals and Strategy

The goals for this century that were completed or still in progress-
1. Finish growing my starting colonies, Explore India, Conquer Goa. COMPLETED!
2. Deal with Morocco, taking Tangiers, Infi, and Sus (gold province!). COMPLETED!
3. Colonize Rio to connect my west African possessions, and Fernando Po. COMPLETED!
4. Defeat Swahili and Mutapa taking valuable gold silver and gem provinces. IN PROGRESS
5. Start the exploration to Brazil, colonize if reached. COMPLETED.
6. Move sliders toward Market Economy, centralization. IN PROGRESS

OK so in the end I was very successful in my opinion. Most of my major goals have been completed so far. The ones that haven’t been are natural extensions of what already has. That being said It is time to go over and update my goals for 1500-1600

1. Defeat Swahili and Mutapa taking valuable gold silver and gem provinces. -Moved from last century, still in Progress
2. Colonize Brazil- Unchanged, once we reach It.
3. Colonize South Africa, Madagascar.- Unchanged
4. Take Inca exploration route if still available.- Unchanged
5. Providing above, begin to conquer Inca.- Unchanged
6. Conquer Ceylon, parts of Arabia. - Minor change, The Parts of Arabia desired are Socotra and Muscat.
7. Move sliders toward Free subjects, Aristocracy, Tradition. -Changed. Centralization and Market economy still need priorities first. These other 3 can happen afterward.
8. Try to convert wrong religion provinces.- Changed. For now I have enough on my plate this century. Will be moved to 1600-1700.
9. Become and Administrative Monarchy, get Bureaucracy NI. - NEW GOAL, meant to combat my current AE problems.

And with that is the end of the 1500 Overview. I hope you have found it enlightening and enjoyable, and I will see you for the next update- taking us into the 16th century!

Interesting AAR so far, but I've got one question: why do you want to move towards Market Economy? If you have 2 CoTs, shouldn't you be going for Moral so that you'll actually be able to get monopolies on your homeground? With Market, you'll get kicked around in your own CoTs while being able to succesfully compete in foreign CoTs, but that's pretty counter-productive, if you ask me. The only time Market Economy makes sense is for modernization, but I keep away from it every other time.

Replies
JacktheJumper- Thank you very much for your imput! After due consideration I think your right. Considering I have 2 CoT's and will likely have more as the game progresses, It doesn't make sense to go market economy. Given what this update brings however, even staying at Moral economy remains a challenge. However Moral economy will replace Market as my slider goal Policy.

AAR News
Ok time wise this Update is huge, covering over 20 years. However due to the Ineptness of my Monarch, only a few significant events happened. So this update will lack large amounts of detail and focus more on the big picture. I did this rather intentionally, not wanting to split the uneventful rule of an Idiot into many boring updates, sufficing to say most of it was rebel smashing and consolidating. I hope you Enjoy!

Update 7
1500-1522

So with the new century underway, we have lots of work to do. One of the first things I do is move my slider towards centralization, getting, once again, universal condemnation. Several factions would sit at disgruntled for the greater part of the next 2 years due to it.
However 2 months into the game I did get a good event helping me out-
EU3_100.jpg

The money is ridiculously great, the moves towards market economy so-so. However it also ends up leading to this
EU3_101.jpg

I'm no longer on the worst AE modifier which is nice, but only a new government and new king will really help me here. However the money from the distribution monopoly not only helps me repay my loan come 1501, but also helps finance several expeditions eastwards, giving me knowledge of significant parts of Asia and Japan.
EU3_102.jpg
Discovering a Target
EU3_105.jpg

EU3_106.jpg

EU3_110.jpg

EU3_111.jpg

However in 1503 I notice an opportunity I cannot pass up. Algiers declared war on Morocco, and I decided to jump in, so I could force them to renounce their cores on my territory. Tunisia jumps in as an ally, and Yemen since they guaranteed their independence. The war in North Africa is quick and easy, Tunisia accepts a white peace after only 2 months, and Morocco quickly has their capitol occupied and agrees to renounce all their claims on my territory. I let them keep their claims on territory Algiers has taken however, just to keep those 2 occupied with each other. Algiers would eventually take another province from Morocco, as well as one from Tunisia, making the latter a OPM.
However for me the conflict is not over. Yemen was the War leader, and since Socotra is one of my goals for this century, I gladly occupy it, however it takes a full blockade and a mainland invasion to force them to give it up in a peace deal as well as 50 ducats, in the year 1506. Sadly I do not have screens of the conflict, however the constant warfare and explorations led to me using up all of the money from the distribution monopoly, and having to raise war taxes for a year to help offset the cost. This led to a large amount of WE, which led to revolts, meaning after the war I was forced many times to mint more than I would like keeping army maintenance at maximum levels. This instability was festered by me honoring a call to arms from Castile against the Ottomans, despite me being able to WP out after only several months. I played no major part in that war.
By 1510 the Instability was calming down, however I got the infamous 'comet sighted' event, knocking stability down to +2, just to add insult to injury. By the end of this update, Inflation would be at 6.5%, compared to the roughly 2% from the beginning. Poor AE and warfare are not a good mix. Despite all the ridiculousness, I still managed to continue my exploration of Brazil to completion.
EU3_103.jpg

EU3_104.jpg

EU3_107.jpg

EU3_108.jpg
Now bring me the Native Women!

And having the option to discover the Incas I gladly took it.
EU3_109.jpg

And by 1515, had rounded the entirety of South America, and completed my Journey. Even better, however is that we managed to beat Castile there. Also as a bonus I get a Land expedition with 6 in every stat.
EU3_112.jpg

EU3_113.jpg

EU3_114.jpg
AHAHAHAHA Castile! DWI Punks!

This would, thankfully, be the last thing that Joao III's unbearably long reign would produce. Finally room for a better administrator!
EU3_115.jpg
And the newest member of Portugal's Venerated Troll Dynasty, founded with the marriage of King Troll of Problem? and Queen UMAD!? of Buttfrustrated in 1460

Four. I swear to God I must be getting trolled. Well Pedro gets to become a general as well, but he might actually be useful at it. His diplomacy is much better as well, however his inauguration event gives me +1 reputation, which will be significant shortly. Finally however I reach Government 16, and can switch to Administrative Monarchy!
EU3_116.jpg
I had been researching Government all this update for this moment.

Combined with my new rulers drastic improvement of one point of administrative, this should be enough to at least get me to distracted, or possibly borderline Inefficient Administration. With that I leave you with 2 Pictures of my progress in South America-
EU3_117.jpg

EU3_118.jpg

Colonies In Brazil are coming nicely, and as soon as I'm ready I can start pounding the Incas for Gold, considering I'll be the only one there for some time. It looks like I've turned the corner, and finally things will start going my way, even if its just a little b-
EU3_119.jpg
Current BB= 0.59!!!!!

F@#%

Wow, you sure are unlucky. Keep it up, it's quite entertaining. :happy:
More seriously, you are not doing badly given the circumstances. Gaining 4.5% inflation in 20 years is something to worry a bit about, but it shouldn't be crippling.

edit: I just remembered, the conquest of Muscat will probably be of no use for you now, as you need to be at least -3 'moral economy' to get the benefits. When I gave that tip, I didn't think you would want to go market economy as Portgual as it is an unusual strategy, sorry about the 'misleading'.

Last edited:
Framed at almost 0bb! Been there done that! Well, you did misbehave before, the punishment came a bit late, simply. ;)
Anyway, if your bb is so low, the Framed thing shouldn't be such a big deal. Unless you're planning to take it on the Incas shortly. Normally, Portugal games are bb-safe. (Although I remember you get a penalty for your spice monopoly modifier, don't you? This may slow down the bb burn-off.) Tell us how you went about the Framed event.

The border with Algiers might be worrying though. Whenever I play Portugal, the biggest problem I face is policing and protecting my territories which get spread all over the globe. E.g. a revolt in Goa? Normally, no big deal, but if I'm waging a war in North Africa, get some native issues in colonies, and my disgruntled subjects rise up in arms in my heavily-taxed core provs, all at the same time...

Btw, have you considered taking Malacca? It's one of my usual early goals, when done early it's possible to get the CoT in two wars.