• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2008 version fixed the problem

I installed the 2005 version of the runtime and got past the "faulty configuration" error, but then got a runtime error halfway through the initialization screens. On a hunch, I installed the 2008 version of the runtime, and I was able to run the game with no problem (except the crash on exit). Same situation as some later posters--Rome Gold from CD purchased at Walmart, installed on a system with XP.
Oddly, I installed the game from the same CD earlier on another computer, also XP, and had no troubles. However, performance with the 2008 runtime seems significantly better.

Running EU Rome:VV v2.1 (purchased via Impulse). Have to run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode to get it to start (running Vista bussines 32bit). The game will eventually CTD if I play for some time (between one and two hours). I also get the CTD when closing the game. No JIT error though (I have tried the no multisampling solution, cache cleaning, MS patch,...).

Any news on this, as I see it is an OLD problem.

I am having the same problem with my system as the previous persons have reported. I went to the website that you described but when I enter the download for the file you proscribed I get an error message saying that the site is not up at the time. I have tried every suggestion in the messace that is included including trying again later. It's now been 2days since I purchased the game, I've the read manual. I,ve registered the game and still I can't get into the game. I'm about ready to take to the disk out of my computer and try strangling it!?! But I'm not sure if that will even work? Please tell me that there is something better I can try.

Running EU Rome:VV v2.1 (purchased via Impulse). Have to run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode to get it to start (running Vista bussines 32bit). The game will eventually CTD if I play for some time (between one and two hours). I also get the CTD when closing the game. No JIT error though (I have tried the no multisampling solution, cache cleaning, MS patch,...).

Any news on this, as I see it is an OLD problem.
As your problem is unrelated to this thread, please start your own fresh thread with full problem and system details.

I am having the same problem with my system as the previous persons have reported. I went to the website that you described but when I enter the download for the file you proscribed I get an error message saying that the site is not up at the time. I have tried every suggestion in the messace that is included including trying again later. It's now been 2days since I purchased the game, I've the read manual. I,ve registered the game and still I can't get into the game. I'm about ready to take to the disk out of my computer and try strangling it!?! But I'm not sure if that will even work? Please tell me that there is something better I can try.
You must get the fix from Microsoft. I just went to that link myself and it works fine, here it is again just to make sure http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displayLang=en#

If you really can't get to it, perhaps your PC or ISP have a problem. Failing all else you could go to that link on another machine, and carry the MS download to yours on an USB stick or similar.

Silktrader,
I have tried everything that I know of to try and download that file you recommended to get the JIT side by sde error cleared off of my computer but everytime I try to download that file all I get is a message that the site is not found;
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later. (Tried Both)

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Works fine for me. Note that you don't "follow" it; you click on it and the download should start automatically.

thank u silktrader - i had this problem with my copy rome gold - your solution sorted it - great

Installing Runtime files does not help

So, I've already tried installing the Runtime files... tried reinstalling Rome Gold... Still showing the side-by-side error. Running Vista, so tried running as administrator and using winxp compatibility. From reading the other threads/replies, I don't know what else to try. I did see one note about making sure the game installed correctly, but I've tried multiple installs. Then again, I haven't changed much across the installs so I guess it could be installing incorrectly every time? I know this a problem that seems to have been answered, but I just can't seem to make it work. Any new ideas or ways I can double back and check myself? Thanks...

I've got the same problem. :(

I've tried everything I can think of: I've downloaded both the 2005 Runtime AND the 2008 Runtime, installed them both, uninstalled Rome, booted my computer, installed Rome again, still the side-by-side or configuration error persists. I've tried removing the 2008 Runtime, reinstalling Rome, still the problem continues. I've tried removing 2005 runtime, reinstalling Rome but the problem still persists.

What can I do??!! :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: Tried once more removing the game totally, then booting the computer and then re-installing from the scratch, now finally the game works. Yay!!!! :D

Piedro Aillard

Last edited:
I can not install the fix

I downloaded the fix from #4 and when I try to install it I get
Error creating process... . Reason: C:\windows\system32\advpack.dll

I tried the version for 2008 - it installs fine but the game crashes...:confused:

Now you have the VB update installed, try a complete reinstall of Rome (you haven't registered VV so I'm assume you only have the Rome base game). First move any valued save games elsewhere. Then uninstall the game, and then manually delete the game directory - this is important. Reinstall Rome - choose a new directory like c:\games\rome instead of the suggested path. Then apply the 1.3 patch over Rome.

Updated for visibility.