• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My god!
Tommy4ever loving my writing!!!!!!!
:eek::):):)
Serpants on the Nile is a legendary AAR. The second AAR I ever read and the best CK2 AAR to date!!!!

Listening to praise from you is like an award for me man.

Also thank you so much for reading and especially for commenting man. I love comments.

Haha, thank you! Glad my older AARs are remembered fondly - that one was one of my favourites too :).

Yes, comments are always important to keep a WritAAR going - and sometimes give you some of your best ideas!

Chapter 18

As stated in Chapter 14, Sultan Abu Bakr held huge celebrations for his 60th birthday in November 1842 shortly after the conclusion of the Ashanti war. As part of the celebrations, he sent envoys to as many countries as he could. From Danish gold coast to British Sierra Leone and from Mecca(Envoy was sent along with Haj pilgrims) to various nearby pagan kingdoms. Indeed, the steep increase in European explorers and diplomats in the last decade must have intrigued the Sultan and led him to do this.

TswfK52.png

Of this, Ibrahim Dasuki was the name of the envoy sent to British Sierra Leone. Dasuki was specially appointed by Ahmadu Atiku, the son of the Sultan and could speak fluent Arabic and also some Spanish that he had learned from Latin American merchants. Dasuki was supposed to meet with the governor of the place and exchange cordial greetings. However fate had something else in store for him.
Upon arrival in Sierra Leone, Dasuki could not meet the governor as he was on a tour of some villages of the interior. This was followed by another stroke of bad luck as the Sokotan diplomat's belongings were stolen and he found himself trapped without any money in a foreign land. After wandering around for a day, Dasuki was approached by a European man who could also speak Arabic. He couldn't have been luckier. That man was none other than Giuseppe Ferlini, the famed Italian explorer and treasure hunter. Ferlini was intrigued by this strange man who claimed to be a diplomat from Sokoto and asked various questions to check Dasuki's claims. After a meeting Ferlini was convinced that this man was indeed a Sokotan diplomat. In his own words, Ferlini was 'Thrilled at this god given opportunity'.

1589041827924.png

Giuseppe Ferlini

Born in Bologna, it is known that since 1815 Ferlini travelled across Greece and later he reached Egypt where he joined the Egyptian Army during the Egyptian conquest of Sudan and in 1830 he became surgeon-major. Under the army, he stayed at Sennar and then at Khartoum where he met the Albanian merchant Antonio Stefani. Later he decided to desert and devote himself to treasure-hunting, determined to either “return home penniless, or carrying unprecedented treasures”. Along with Stefani, Ferlini organized an expedition that left for Meroë on August 10, 1834.

Ferlini raided the Meroe pyramids in 1834. At Wad ban Naqa, he leveled the pyramid of the Kandake Amanishakheto starting from the top, and finally found her treasure composed of dozens of gold and silver jewelry pieces. Overall, he was responsible for the destruction of over 40 pyramids.
Having found the treasure he was looking for, in 1836 Ferlini returned home. A year later he wrote a report of his expedition containing a catalog of his findings, which was translated in French and republished in 1838. Ferlini returned to Italy but quickly got bored of staying in the civilized western world. In 1842 he thus returned to Africa, this time sponsored by King Charles Albert of Savoy and also by the British Royal Geographic society to lead an expedition into the heart of darkness.

A few days later the governor George McDonald returned from his tour. Immediately Ferlini arranged a meeting with him. At the meeting, Ferlini put forward the idea of setting up a trade company to trade palm oil and other resources with the Sokoto Caliphate. Initially his proposition was put down by the governor. However a few days later, Ferlini arranged another meeting with the governor and this time he also called a few leading businessmen and merchants of Sierra Leone. Ferlini put forward the notion that through trade and friendship, the British empire could force these wild people to put an end to the slave trade. This caught the attention of McDonald. Being a writer(The mentor of Lewis Carroll) and a staunch abolitionist McDonald was intrigued by the notion of ending the slave trade without a drop of blood being spilt. This and coercion by some of the merchants that Ferlini had assembled led McDonalds to take a historic decision. He told Ferlini that if the explorer could travel to Sokoto and manage to convince the Sultan Abu Bakr then McDonald could try to do something from his end.
Within days of the meeting, Ferlini assembled a party and started his travel to Sokoto with Ibrahim Dasuki leading the way.

1589042421398.png

George McDonald

The party reached Sokoto in November 1843. Despite the Oyo war raging and dominating the Sokotan court, the Sultan agreed to meet with this party with Dasuki as the mediator. However, a few days before the meeting could take place, Dasuki suddenly vanished. Ferlini writes that the envoy abandoned them because he feared the white men. Nevertheless the meeting still took place. A new mediator called Hasan Maccido appeared and agreed to work for Ferlini..

The meeting took place on November 25 1843. Ferlini managed to pitch his idea of forming a Sardinian-British company in the recently conquered Ashanti land of Kumasi in exchange for a large initial 'Tax' payment to Abu Bakr and atleast a partial abolition of the slave trade in Kumasi. However Abu Bakr completely refused to even consider complete abolition of the slave trade in his realm. Nevertheless, the meeting was a diplomatic success.

vAULlYN.png

At the meeting, Ferlini also brought the world to the Sokotan court. He gifted Abu Bakr the 1843 version of 'Taylor's World Atlas' .

1589043319779.png

The author would like to explain the contents of the map as publishing the same in this narrative is not possible.

Europe was experiencing a rare period of peace ever since the Congress of Vienna in 1815. Only minor strife in France and the French conquest of Algeria had provided any excitement to newspapers all over Europe. Despite the peace however, tensions continued to rise between Britain and the Kingdom of Hannover ever since Queen Victoria's coronation in 1837. Increasing Prussian involvement in the affairs of minor German states was also causing much tension in central Europe.

P0TwSdd.png

In North America, a region that the Sokotans had never heard of before, the center of attraction was in Texas where American rebels had defeated the Mexicans in 1836 and forced the abdication of Mexican dictator Santa Anna. All the while, the United States continued to grow further and further westward in its quest for Manifest destiny.
In the Yucatan, rogue soldiers sent to crush Maya rebels in 1841 had instead declared their own republic and seceded from Mexico.

0qtLhTS.png

In South America, borders had not changed appreciably since the early 1830s. However the scene on the ground was quite different as minor border changes continued to happen especially between the three countries of Brazil, Paraguay and the Argentine confederation.

3LN1b3L.png

Finally there was India, the crown jewel of the British Raj. Having begun since the battle of Plassey in 1757, the conquest had been all but completed after the Sikh Maharajah had signed the doctrine of lapse and become a mere puppet of the Raj in 1840.

RXa2txL.png

Thus this was the condition in the world at the time.

The author would like to end this chapter with a report that Thomas Motubwa(The British diplomat stationed in Sokoto) wrote many years later.

"Ibrahim Dasuki was a good diplomat and was loyal to Ahmadu Atiku. His sudden vanishing and replacement by Hasan Maccido, a man loyal to Usman Amadu is slightly suspicious if not overtly clear"

Attachments

• 1589043320185.png
    1589043320185.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Usman Amadu is beginning to make his move...

I do have to say, tying your overview of the rest of the world to the in-story event of a foreign envoy presenting an atlas as a gift is a nice touch :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting to see western influences creeping already. I wonder what things will be like by the time the Europeans come back hungrier for territory in about forty years or so.

I can see interesting times ahead , hopefully the succesor will be smart enough to balance between conflicting interests

Trying to get the Caliphate to abandon slavery was always going to be a no-go. I wonder how the elites of Sokoto will react to their increasing interaction with the West.

With increased westernization, I guess slavery might be ended at some point. But I foresee trouble and potential rebellion if western influeces come too fast.

Looks like few things of note happened in the world since 1836. Of course, only seven years have passed since the start of the narrative.

Yeah. But Yucatan was the most surprising. Thankyou so much for commenting man.

Usman Amadu is beginning to make his move...

I do have to say, tying your overview of the rest of the world to the in-story event of a foreign envoy presenting an atlas as a gift is a nice touch :)

Yep. Everyone wants to be the top shot!
Thanks for commenting man.

Interesting to see western influences creeping already. I wonder what things will be like by the time the Europeans come back hungrier for territory in about forty years or so.
I am also afraid of that. Nevertheless i am preparing for that most important Jihad.
Thankyou very very much for commenting man.

I can see interesting times ahead , hopefully the succesor will be smart enough to balance between conflicting interests
Yes. The successor will play a key role in Hausa history indeed.
Thankyou very much for commenting man.

Trying to get the Caliphate to abandon slavery was always going to be a no-go. I wonder how the elites of Sokoto will react to their increasing interaction with the West.
Slavery is a very tricky matter. Lets hope we can solve that fast before they come knocking.
Thanks so much for commenting. Sorry for the delay in replying to your comments.

With increased westernization, I guess slavery might be ended at some point. But I foresee trouble and potential rebellion if western influeces come too fast.
Yes. Slavery and angry natives are always a problem. Lets hope the problem doesn't come too soon.
Thanks so much for commenting man.

A nice detailed AAR with a lot of flavour info and a comitment to actual realism? Sign me up! I've read everything so far all in one sitting.
Thankyou so much man. Its great readers like you that keep me going.
Thanks for commenting.:)

Chapter 19

1844. The end of the Oyo war came in August. That same month, the 40th anniversary of Shehu Usman's 'Hijrah' was celebrated all over Sokoto. 'Hijrah' literally means departure in Arabic. In 622AD, the prophet Muhammed made the Hijrah from his home town of Mecca to Medina after discovering a plot to kill him hatched by some local strongmen and this departure is said to be the start of Islam as a religious and political force. Similarly, in 1804, the Shehu Usman Dan Fodio departed from his homeland of Gobir after the local ruler Yunfa attempted to have him arrested and thus this marks the beginning of the Fulani Jihad.

1589560494686.png

The Hijrah

Historians often question how the overwhelming success of the Sokoto Jihad came to be. In just a few decades, the Jihadists conquered an empire as big as that of the Habsburgs. As noted in Chapters 1 and 2, Islamic revivalism and fanaticism had a big part to play in the process of Shehu Usman's Jihads. Unlike their opponents, the average Sokotan Jihadist was willing to fight for much less pay merely because the promise of Jannah(Heaven) after winning or dying in a Jihad was enough. Also of no less importance is the pure charisma and leadership brilliance shown by Shehu Usman and his successors Muhammed Bello and Sultan Abu Bakr. In spite of all this, many historians, including the author also state that these factors alone are not the full picture. After all, religious zeal can only last for so long and charismatic brilliance alone does not mean a guaranteed victory. Also there remains the major question of why the size of the Sokotan empire doubled from 1836 to 1844. The author wishes to state his views on the same in this chapter.

Since the century before the Jihad, the Fulani clans(Including that of Shehu Usman) had settled in the lands of the Hausa kings like Gobir. Settling in meant that the clan would now have to listen to the orders given by these mixed-Islam Hausa kings. This partnership of sorts worked out well as long as the restrictions imposed upon the Fulani clans were reasonable. The moment this ceased to be so, general discontent would start to develop. This was clearly seen in the period between 1804(The Hijrah) and 1808(Final conquest of Gobir and killing of Yunfa by the Jihadists) when after Shehu Usman's rebellion, many individual Fulani and fanaticly Islamic Hausa warlords started launching their own Jihads in his support. Although most of these smaller ones were crushed, they contributed to the weakning of the Gobir kingdom which in turn led to the final victory in 1808. Unfortunately, this alone does not explain the success of the Jihad as the question arises further 'The Fulani and the nomads supported the Jihad. But why did the general peasantry which was neither concerned with religion nor politics support the Jihad and join its armies?'

According to various scholars, the reason for this may lay in an extremely important factor in West African politics. Slavery and the arrival of guns.

1589561324100.png

The Slave trade had been practiced aplenty by rulers and freelancers in this part of the world since centuries. The arrival of guns however took slave raiding to a whole new dimension. Firearms and their use was a decisive factor when capturing slaves as the intent of scaring the victims was easily achieved. Since the procurement of more firearms from Europeans was again made by using slaves as currency, a vicious cycle of arms dealing and slave raiding started.

1589561385147.png

As described in Chapter 6, the rulers of the region began fighting terribly bloody wars on a regular basis just to capture more slaves. All this, led to discontent among the peasant and by the late 18th century, West Africa experienced a phenomenon that it had never experienced before..............peasant rebellions. These happened to coincide with the time of the Fulani Jihad.

1589561484630.png

Africans often fought terrible wars in pursuit of the enslavement of their neighbours and the general peasantry was the worst affected by this.

Now the Jihadists were by no means in favour of abolition of the slave trade, however a major factor separated their mindset on the same from the Pre-Jihad rulers of the land. That factor was Islam. Islam forbade enslavement of fellow Muslims. This meant that the peasantry atleast need not fear enslavement if they joined the ranks of the Jihadists. As a result, many converted to Islam and the Jihadist armies swelled. After the initial Jihad, the same sentiment remained in place and contributed to the doubling of the realm under Sultan Abu Bakr. Every kingdom that the Jihadists conquered henceforth had atleast a small portion of the population which was Muslim or was willing to embrace Islam, willing to switch sides and thus be spared from the violence. The conquests of the Sokotans also reduced the number of independent kingdoms and thus reduced the number of wars which brought immediate peace and prosperity for all but the enemies of the regime. All this also explains the easy unification of the Hausa and Fulani as one nation after the initial Jihad's success.

1589560927578.png

A Sokotan noble being welcomed into the Mossi capital after its conquest. Atleast the Sokotans did not enslave people who were or wanted to be genuine Muslims.

The last sub-question is one of the most interesting.
Why were the Sokotans more successful militarily than their opponents?

1589560736508.png

According to the author, the answer to this lies in Islam again. Being Muslim and Fulani, the Sokotan nobility from Shehu Usman to Abu Bakr and also generals like Usman Amadu were all literate and well versed in Islamic literature which does include a sizeable amount of books upon the ways of war. Time and again, daring and dynamic genrals like Usman Amadu not only brought innovation on the battlefield but also corrected their own mistakes, if any, in the next battle. It is recorded that the Sultan Abu Bakr inherited the biggest library in native West Africa from his father Shehu Usman. This knowledge, combined with religious zeal is what ultimately produced something never seen before in the land...............................a war machine!

1589560691204.png

The Fulani were among the most literate groups in West Africa

Attachments

• 1589560736508.png
    1589560736508.png
    3,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Knowledge and guns! I suspect there will be little argument from the neighbours with that sort of power at the disposal of the Caliphate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Knowledge and guns! I suspect there will be little argument from the neighbours with that sort of power at the disposal of the Caliphate.
Very true
Knowledge is power
The pen is mightier than the sword and when they both team up................

Thanks for commenting

Definitely appreciate the retrospective there. An excellent look at how Sokotan society has evolved in response to the pressures around it, and has in turn made its own wider mark on the region through its conquests and policies. It does seem as though Sokoto on the whole is laying the foundations for what could become a new modern state replacing a collection of divided tribal kingdoms.

A lot of "convenience " conversations to Islam to avoid enslavement. That could be storing up religious trouble for the future.

You are absolutely correct. Religious strife will beset Sokotan society sooner or later.
Thankyou so much for commenting

Definitely appreciate the retrospective there. An excellent look at how Sokotan society has evolved in response to the pressures around it, and has in turn made its own wider mark on the region through its conquests and policies. It does seem as though Sokoto on the whole is laying the foundations for what could become a new modern state replacing a collection of divided tribal kingdoms.
Thankyou for commenting
You are right, Sokoto is laying the foundation for a nation state

Chapter 20

wTrWRYN.png

In June 1845, Sokoto invaded the Wattara or Kong empire. In this chapter we shall analyze the complex reasons behind the same.

TEk3LFq.png

1844, to the immediate west of Sokoto's conquered Ashanti lands lay what world maps all over the world referred to as 'Northern Ivory coast' or 'Uncolonized Ivory Coast'(Light orange state in Wattara east). In reality, it was a region of very complex peoples and cultures. The region itself was nominally controlled by the 'Wattara' or the Kong Empire.

For convenience, the author requests that the readers say the names in the below map like 'Kong', 'Bondouku' and 'Akoupe' out loud as they are going to be mentioned many times.

cQhJ91b.png

The Kong empire was initially based in the town of Kong as seen in the above map but the center of importance had shifted west to the town of Odienne in the 19th century. The Wattara empire was made up of two main states. The first state was called 'Odienne' or what world maps refer to as 'Wattaran Windward coast'(Which we shall be using for the sake of this narrative). The second state was called 'Kong' or 'Wattaran Ivory coast'(Which we shall be using).

Until the 16th century, the area where the Wattara empire stood was inhabited by native peoples and tribes called the 'Senufo' and 'Tyefo'.

1589640891187.png

A Senufo religious mask

Starting in the 16th century, Dyula speakers, an important branch of the Mandé, migrated from the declining Mali Empire into the area and founded the city of Bego.

1589640805627.png

A Dyula(Dioula) nobleman

The Dyula immigrants were largely Muslim while the Senufo and Tyefo populations were primarily animist. Bego was destroyed at some point and the Dyula residents moved to the city of Kong. The Dyula brought their trading skills and connections and transformed Kong into an international market for the exchange of northern desert goods, such as salt and cloth, and southern forest exports, such as cola nuts, gold, and slaves. The city was also a religious center that housed a substantial academic community of Muslim scholars, with palaces and mosques built in the traditional Sudanese style. However religious tensions soon developed between the new immigrants and the natives and in the first decade of the 18th century, Seku Wattara, a Dyula strongman eventually defeated the Senufo and Tyefo animists and established the Wattara kingdom.

The Wattara kingdom prospered as a major power in the region until it soon declined in the 1740s due to constant wars with neighbouring pagan kingdoms like the Ashanti. After 1740, the Wattara kingdom shifted its capital to Odienne and continued its existence as a decentralized relatively minor power in the region and it came to be dominated by the 'Sonagi' warrior class. Sonagi warrior chiefdoms and other smaller tribal entities paid tribute to the Wattara kings and thus the kingdom existed in this fashion after 1740. Just like other mixed Islamic states, the Sonagi class based Wattara kingdom did not implement Sharia law and Islam was adhered to only in name. Many of the Sonagi in fact converted back to animist faiths in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. This of course did not sit well with the Sokotan Jihadists and after the annexation of Ashanti in 1842-43, the situation quickly began to heat up.

1589643940668.png

The Sonagi warrior class dominated the Kingdom of Wattara after 1740.

To understand the causes of the war however, we shall have to zoom in on the conditions in the Wattaran Ivory coast state. Here, an animist feudal chiefdom called the Gyaaman ruled and paid tribute to Wattara. The Gyaaman were of the Akan culture, the same culture as the Ashanti royalty. They had a habit of switching sides between Wattara and Ashanti and this had led to the constant wars between these two major states from 1740 to the early 19th century. The Gyaaman fiefdom actually also held land in Ashanti but the Sokotans had confiscated their Ashanti lands after the conquest. The Gyaaman 'Gyamanhene'(King) ruled in name, but four provincial chiefs held the kingdom's real power. The economy was centered on the Dyula market town of Bondouku in Ivory Coast. The author has posted the same map from above again, below this paragraph for convenience.

cQhJ91b.png

Thus these were the conditions in the region of Wattaran ivory coast. A decentralized mixed Islamic kingdom ruling over an animist pagan people like the Gyaaman and a behemoth Jihadist state as a neighbour to the east.

1589644952162.png

The market at Bondouku was the economic center of the region of Wattaran Ivory coast.

In mid 1843 the Gyaaman 'Gyamanhene'(King) found himself facing a huge problem(Reminder : Gyaaman itself was a feudal fiefdom of Wattara). There had been a deadly epidemic of fever in the region and this was having an adverse effect on his rule as many of the mixed Islamic Dyula traders and slavers(Dyula is the culture of Wattaran royalty) in his realm were turning to orthodox Islam. Sokotan missionary activity was already causing this but the epidemic itself was making many Dyula people convert to absolute Islam. Historian and religious teacher Albert Von Beust says on the matter that 'Pagan faiths work well in conditions of harmony where man expects his gods to continue showering good fortune upon him while monotheistic faiths like Christianity or Islam begin to take root when man encounters great crisis like an epidemic and begins to wonder if his bad deeds have led to this punishment'(The author of this journal is neutral on this matter and it is stated here for historical reasons only).

The whole matter came to a head by late 1844 as a sort of proxy war developed between the orthodox Islamic Dyula slavers and the animist Gyaaman fiefdom. The Dyulas eventually overthrew the animists and occupied and sacked Bondouku forcing the Gyamanhene to flee, first to Kong and then to the capital of Odienne. The landless Gyamanhene took the matter to the Wattaran 'Faama'(king). What happened next was unexpected. In front of the whole court and Sokotan diplomats, the Faama of Wattara despite being a Muslim(Mixed) and Dyula ruler himself, declared his support for the animist Gyamanhene and then marched upon Ivory coast to crush the Dyula Orthodox Muslims as though they were common rebels. Then, as expected, the matter went straight to the court of Sultan Abu Bakr. As always, an ultimatum was given to remove the Gyamanhene from power entirely and restore the orthodox Dyula Muslim lands but it was refused. This happened in mid-1845.

In Sokoto, preparations for war started almost instantly. Abu Bakr reportedly called all his nobles and generals and placed an ivory horse hilted dagger belonging to Shehu Usman Dan Fodio on the pedestal. Then, he promised to bestow it to the first man who would be prepared to lead the campaign as supreme commander.

1589645244631.png

It wasn't Usman Amadu, Ali Babba Bin Bello or Usman Dadi who came forward first. Everyone looked in awe at the man who did as he gracefully walked up to the Sultan and kissed his feet. The man who came forward was Ahmadu Atiku, son of Abu Bakr!

• 4Like
Reactions:
As ever, the amount of effort you put into providing background for these events and the time spent on untangling such complex webs of relationships is certainly appreciated :)

Looks like Ahmadu Atiku is finally making his own big play for influence in the Sokotan court. I imagine that Usman Amadu and his faction aren't simply going to take this lying down, of course...

Guns might now dominate the battlefield, but there is something aesthetically unmatched by a beautiful sword or dagger!

As ever, the amount of effort you put into providing background for these events and the time spent on untangling such complex webs of relationships is certainly appreciated :)

Looks like Ahmadu Atiku is finally making his own big play for influence in the Sokotan court. I imagine that Usman Amadu and his faction aren't simply going to take this lying down, of course...

Thankyou so much man
Yes Ahmadu Atiku is making his move too now!

Guns might now dominate the battlefield, but there is something aesthetically unmatched by a beautiful sword or dagger!

You are absolutely correct
I love swords and daggers, especially the ceremonial ones
Thankyou very much for commenting