Japanese management of occupied territories at game start post LaR?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DaleDVM

Major
47 Badges
Jan 5, 2005
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
Overall, it seems to me that releasing Korea as a puppet and the Dailan territory to Manchuko may be a better option than waiting for compliance to build up for over a year until you actually will get to use any of their factories. Or perhaps doing so when/if Japan switches over to free trade? Trading for resources is obviously lucrative with your puppets at 80/1. Plus the obvious upside of not having to garrison these territories.

What are the downsides? I know you lose free resources. Do you gain enough manpower requesting garrison MP to offset the losses from not occupying the territory?

I am also curious, when you release a puppet do they then get to start using their own focus tree to improve the country? If so it seems a no brainer to release them to get the free upgrades of factories and infrastructure from national foci.

A last unrelated question. Is it true that there is an event that will trigger the second Sino Japanese war in 1938 if you do not complete the marco polo focus with Japan?

Reactions:
Or perhaps doing so when/if Japan switches over to free trade?
Only viable if you get complete naval superiority (unlikely) or don't mind trading with Soviets.
Trading for resources is obviously lucrative with your puppets at 80/1.
Only they won't have half as much without mods or player intervention, happily trading some of that off to each other (which it has higher priority than trading to you).
What are the downsides?
Can't test soviets without border.
I am also curious, when you release a puppet do they then get to start using their own focus tree to improve the country?
They do.
Is it true that there is an event that will trigger the second Sino Japanese war in 1938 if you do not complete the marco polo focus with Japan?
Yes. But why wait when you can end the war by then? The more time you waste the stronger the Allies become.

Playing MP with German ally so free trade works well for 3 years trading resources back and forth with axis.

MP rules also don't allow for an early war on China. Must at least wait for Marco Polo focus.

Do you know what month the event that triggers the war with china happens in 1938?

I was just considering that you could skip that entire path of focus decisions and you won't get the marco polo bridge malus if you go to war with China in another way. That would be a lot of extra foci or PP you could accumulate since the foci leading to the marco polo focus are all pretty useless.

Playing MP with German ally so free trade works well for 3 years trading resources back and forth with axis.
Sure, but it's 150 PP for a couple years of trading that's gonna be disrupted when you need it the most. Do what you will, though.
MP rules also don't allow for an early war on China. Must at least wait for Marco Polo focus.
Game rules too: gotta get like 75 world tension first.
Do you know what month the event that triggers the war with china happens in 1938?
Supposedly, it's a result from decision that is unlocked by "Provoke Japan" focus in Communists' tree. No idea when AI gets that focus and uses that decision exactly, but, I think, it's some time late 38.
I was just considering that you could skip that entire path of focus decisions and you won't get the marco polo bridge malus if you go to war with China in another way. That would be a lot of extra foci or PP you could accumulate since the foci leading to the marco polo focus are all pretty useless.
If you join Axis anyway - sure. But then why even concern yourself with China?

Personally so do I like using this tactic as China doesn't nearly build up at the same pace as Japan do before they get into the war, giving you quite an advantage when it starts. It's also 150pp, even if you take all the other focuses plus any you might have spent on reducing the attack penalty the incident gives you. Japan also have quite a lot of interesting focus so getting the time for two more is worth quite a lot to me.

150 PP for, +9% research in all research branches, +10% construction speed, +10% factory and dockyard output... For over 5 years until war with the allies...

Umm... yes please.

This beats out gaining 10-15% research in a single branch by placing an advisor. In fact, I consider it a no brainer. Perhaps it is not the best if you start the war super early but my MP group doesn't allow for that anyway.