• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
kolpo said:
There is a reason why I stay on the west coast. It is not just because my colonists get there faster then the east coast. Thought even then is contact with europeans possible, but shall it hopefully be delayed until I get out of 0 weapon tech :) When it comes to weapons am I still nothing more then mounted Inca's. 0.4 tech groups means I had to sacrifice a lot of tech, to still have reasonable advancement in the ones I wanted. Thought now is there money and money makes many things go easier, even research!

I also own so much gold provinces that I can never mint money, I have read on the forums about people who's nation got ruined after they combined gold mines with an even modest inflation.

That gold problem sounds like trouble. Fortunately gold also has its advantages, no? Anyway, having a western neighbour should give you a chance for a Westernisation event, or so I thought. There is unfortunately no Westernisation event for the Indian/Chinese techgroups! Better learn to make the best of that penalty...

The conquered regions became a part of our empire. Now was it time to colonize the rest of the west coast of South America, the emperor ordered to colonize the southern part first. The southern regions where often inhabited by aggressive natives. The emperor decided to go for a diplomatic approach: kill them all, then offer them a peace treaty that none shall refuse!

Other regions where inhabited by more friendly tribes, those tribes longed for the day they would became a part of the Japanese empire. They were allowed to stay and the colonies where build next to them. Frequently would we send those natives Sushi with llama meat, and soon would they become so addicted to it that they would join us. This happened at the moment our colonies became cities, because the llama meat of the colonies had to be imported, and it was not as fresh as the one our cities made ourselves. Especially because completing the needed paper work to import meat could easily take months. This allowed the creation of a new recipe in our colonies: Sushi with fat worms!

At the same time were huge amounts of money spend into improving our government. Running an intercontinental empire was different then just running a few Islands. We now needed the capability to run more then one big project at the same time. We needed ways for the perfection of the emperor to reach all of Japan!

A complete new imperial administration was created, which was now capable of managing viceroys and colonization of the new world at the same time. This speeded our colonization up a lot!

Nintoku Suwa helped the reorganizing of our government by defining how the separation of powers would work. Power was from now one spread in 3 branches of government:

The emperor: he is the one who decides all! Who rules all! He is the sun that leads Japan forwards!
The emperor his family: They needed to enforce the emperor his will, they where the emperor his arms who always followed their true head: the emperor!
The rest: They had to follow both the emperor and his family their orders and they had only one right: praising their emperor! They had the eternal joy of being ruled by the emperor, and the honour of praising him every day. They where the luckiest branch of government!

After this decided the emperor to start improving our army. Medieval weapons where no longer as hot as they once where!

This resulted in a new class of warrior: samurai cavalry! A class of warriors often from the emperor his family, who combined their governmental duties with extensive training with the katana and the repeating crossbow. This would revolutionize our warfare forever. The aggressive natives would better watch out! They no longer needed to just fear conquistadors but samurai conquistadors!

All those sudden changes confused some people. Those poor fouls believed that they could govern just as well as the emperor and his family. The emperor was compassionated and those people were giving the governmental power they desired, they where asked to decide which sharks deserved their meat the most!

After samurai cavalry en the technology to build weapon manufactories was perfected was the government improved even more. A third administration was build, one responsible for the training of conquistador and explorers. It became time we learned more about those mysterious Mexican empires! After that became improving our production technologies the biggest priority! We learned for example that unlike fruit, gold doesn’t needs to be thrown away after it is one week old!

Nintoku Suwa and the rest of our old advisors died.

“My end is near but the glorious intercontinental empire of Japan has just been born!” Nintoku Suwa

They where replaced with colonial advisors. Those helped convince people to move to the new world. Like one farmer got this letter:

“Dear farmer,

It is with extreme joy that I can tell you that all your animals and plants have been transferred to Patagonia. This all free of charge! Any animals or plants, who don’t survive the tip, will be replaced. Included in this letter, do you find a free one way ticket to Patagonia!

BTW, keep your distance from the Patagonian Penguins. Those Penguins aren’t as cute as they look!”

We managed to save enough cash to build a weapon manufactory in Atacama. Atacama has one of the biggest copper mines of our empire, making it ideal to host our weapon manufactory!

The entire southern west coast of South America was colonized. Now was it time to look northwards!

Assos said:
One of the finer AARs I have read so far. I can see your rationale to not leaving the west coast. Have you thought of maybe hitting Hawii for a way-station or starting to pump money into the army tech? How much are you pulling in a month and in a year?

I Invest my complete monthly budget in tech at the moment, it is more then 115/month. My year income should be now around 270.

About ming, like you shall see in the next AAR did soon after that happened something that pulled my attention away from Ming towards "something" else.

Last edited:
All in all a very nice base for further American expansion.

And now we head north...and towards more battle. This time of peace has grown tiresome. ;)

After the south of the west coast was colonized became it time to focus on the north of the west coast of South America and the south of Middle America. Our conquistadors had already calmed the more aggressive tribes in this region and the others couldn’t wait to become part of the Japanese empire. Sushi with llama meat was also a hit in this part of the world!

During this time decided the emperor that the time has come to reform our economy even more. Tons of import/export restrictions where reduce or even removed, this was a very clear step away from the past. Japan was no longer considered to be a nation with a closed economy; it had instead become a nation with an average medieval economy, or with other words: an extreme protectionist and xenophobic economy! What was much better then most of the medieval world!

Like the emperor said in his speech: “If we don’t sell our goods then shall China do it! If we don’t buy foreign goods then shall china do it! We can’t be this cruel! Even those Koreans; don’t deserve a fate as horrible as needing to do business with the Chinese! I’m off course only talking about trade with humans; off course shouldn’t we trade with cows, parasites and Chinese!”

The empire had invested a lot of money in improving its workshops and mines and the breeding of better rice. After this the emperor decided that the time has come to improve our troops. Why?

This is way! China has completely out researched us. The Chinese referred to Japan “As the island of the girls with ancient weapons”, which was off course incorrect because our army didn’t contain girls! We could not fall too much behind, because even an unsuccessful Chinese invasion would still force us to come far too close with the unimaginable! We would need to disinfect our beaches for centuries! Japan desperately needed the great leap forward in weapon technology!

A new colonial advisor helped to speed up the colonization of western South America, His secret weapon? All single females between 18 and 30 could stay one year tax free in the new world! This convinced some of them to go to the new world, Hundreds of men followed them!

Just after the emperor ordered to colonize Nicaragua and Mosquito, noticed he that some Indian tribe started colonizing it! They looked paler then most Indian and they seemed to be experts in the mountains, most of them also choice to colonize the mountains rather then the flat land. The emperor decided to call them “Mountain Mayas”. Those Mountain Mayas also seemed to be obsessed with time; they build strange mechanical devices called clocks! Some of the very rich even carried mini clocks. Can’t those freaks use the sun like every normal being? But that was not the only crime against humanity those Mountain Mayas committed! They didn’t have a feudal system! Those poor farmer owned there own lands and had to decide themselves what to do with their harvest, this kind of oppression of the farmers is really intolerable. It’s like letting a child life alone without parents, poor farmers, poor farmers indeed!

history.gif

Those freaks had taken the lands that belonged to the Japanese emperor! It is no excuse that they didn’t know about the existence of Japan when they colonize those lands! Every noble empire would intuitive feel the absolute power and wisdom of the emperor, they would know those lands belonged to Japan!

For the short term had the emperor other plans, but some day shall those Mountain Mayas regret what they did, and I mean REALLY regret it! You better watch out farmer oppressing, clock obsessed, cheese eating mountain monkeys!

Our investments in weapon technology paid off! We discovered a bow that didn’t need to be pulled by men; it was instead pulled by powder! It became much cheaper to train our troops in ranged combat, and if the enemy came too close became those guns a nice club, to bonk on their heads!

While this improved our infantry a lo,t decided the emperor that samurai where still best troops and would remain the backbone of our army for now.

We stole a map from those Mountain Mayas and it appeared they weren’t Maya at all. They weren’t even from the new world! We also learned that those Mountain Mayas had much better soldiers and weapons then us. They had guns who even hit there intended target sometimes! We absolutely need to keep researching weapons; a second weapon manufactory was built in Arica, our other copper producing province.

But for now was there a more pressing obligation. The Mayas had been very good friends of Japan, it would be unfair to deny them the gigantic pleasure of being ruled by the Japanese emperor. The Maya their friends the Aztecs also wouldn’t be forgotten; they too would become a part of the Japanese empire. Many new horse division where created, it was time to bring joy to the Maya and Aztec lands. You see it really pays off to be good friends of the Japanese empire!

At the same time have explores discovered that this continent also has a northern part. The emperor decided to colonize the lands around the Gulf of California. The more southern lands where too close to the Aztecs to colonize during the coming war.

FlorisDeVijfde said:
Good going. Do you build colonial cities in all your colonies or do you just reserve the land with 100 colonists and let them grow into a city by itself?

I build them up with colonists. All provinces except the ones near the gulf of california are cities and have workshop and temple. I also believe that only cities and not colonies(pop below 1000) can become cores of colonies. When I upgrated a veyr old colony to a city became it quickly a core, so the 25 years needed to become a core may include colony time.

They will really be amazed when they start moving eastward. ;)

Go Ottomans!

I sense the beginnings of a long and troubled relationship...

The moment is now! The war against the Maya-Aztec alliance has begun.
The situation:

Japan:
Land tech: 12
Religion combat advantage: small morale boost
6000 cavalry stationed in Nicaragua, first wave
6000 cavalry stationed in Chorotega, second wave
6000 cavalry stationed in Panama, third wave
6000 cavalry stationed in Choco, fourth wave
6000 cavalry stationed in Antioquia, fifth wave
3000 cavalry and 1000 infantry stay behind in the centre of South America to deal with possible “confused people”
Production capability: Tons of it! We have cash, we have manpower. We have cores on a lot of close provinces. We can easily double if not triple our army size if needed. I have 1111 cash which means I may even operate with a net yearly loss, not that I would need to do that anyway.
Generals: Many conquistadors from our “New world” administration, a general and our emperor. They have all one thing in common: They either bought their degree or they had to work extreme hard to barely pass military school.

Inca:
Land tech: 0
Religion combat advantage: none
A modest number of infantry, we somewhat out number them.
Production capability: They can just like use build troops for as long as they have manpower and money. The big and rich lands of those 2 empires have most likely a lot of manpower and money, but not as much as Japan.
Generals: no idea

Declaring war cost use 2 stability, but that’s a price the emperor is willing to pay for dominance of Middle America!

The mountain Mayas oops! I mean the Swiss, have forced us to use a rolling entrance. This means that not all troops shall reach the battlefield at the same time, instead shall they slowly enter it division by division. For a short time shall only one division, need to deal with all counter attacks. This is a dangerous strategy but our tech advantage allows is to take this risk.

The first battle was the battle of Pipil. The Maya troops didn’t stood a chance against our samurai’s, we crushed their spirit and a ton of their soldiers in no time. This underscored how much Japan had changed since the Inca invasion, we where no longer a small backward nation, we had become a modern empire!

Quickly where the first 2 provinces taken, more and more troops entered Maya lands!

The Maya’s concentrated their troops for a brave counter to retake Petén, but it was all in vain. This only helped us to speed up our victory.

The remaining Maya troops where mercilessly pursued and eliminated. A province after provinces was conquered. It was quite sad to see how this once glorious empire had became nothing more then panicked rabbits!

The Maya allies the Aztecs attempted to help their Maya friends and allies, quite their whole army was send to Tohancapan. The emperor ha became very confident in his trop and decided that no reinforcements where needed, this where after all not just warriors but Japanese warriors!

Japan had become too confident in its own technology, technology helps a lot but it doesn’t make someone invincible! Quickly was a new division send to drive the Aztecs from

The Aztecs where tired from the previous battle, their morale was low and their regiment missed many men. We completely crushed them; the backbone of the Aztec army was broken! Even our emperor admired the loyalty and friendship those Aztecs showed towards their Maya friends, the fallen Aztec soldiers would be given a great funeral worthy of heroes!

While we could annex the Maya’s did the wise emperor decided to wait. The Maya’s where the leaders of the alliance. Making peace with them would also make peace with the Aztecs. Both empires deserved the incredible Joy of being ruled by the Japanese emperor! So we ahd to wait.

In the Aztec capital was the remaining of their force crushed an later hunted down.

The Remaining Aztec forces where crushed, all provinces take. First was the Aztec empire annexed, then the Maya empire. Most of Central America was ours! This also gave us many Atlantic ports, ports that would become very important for our next plan. A plan that would teach those mountain monkeys a lesson! This would require a lot of preparation. But eventually would it lead to biggest naval operation in history…

The invasion of Europe!

Last edited:
stnylan said:
Go Ottomans!

I sense the beginnings of a long and troubled relationship...

A friend or someone who gives me right of passage would be very usefull in that region indeed, thought I'm not sure I ahve any friends in that region. I think that in reality, would europe never accept shinto control of even a part of western europe, tons of crusades would be called and everyone would unite against Japan. let's see how it goes in EUIII :)

Well, I doubt it will be as easy as your conquest of South and Central America, but if you go into it with as much force and gusto as you've done this, it shoud be exciting at least. Good luck.

Excellent work. Especially denying them to any opportunistic Europeans as much as taking them for yourself.