• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(28606)

Sergeant
May 3, 2004
the title says it all. I read in the forum somewhere that I have to say no to the dutch, yes to breaking the isolation, choose the hardliner and then I'm supposed to become civilized by 1860, but - - nothing happend. did I forget sth or what?

I'm playing 1.03 and got darkrenowns mod

i don't think the dutch have anything to do with it from what I remember. You don't wanna choose the hardliner, you want to choose the moderates. That'll lead to civilized status. Hardliners prolong it.

I think the best option is actually to accept the offer to become a Dutch satellite in 1842, get all the free techs, let your populace rebel and overthrow your government, thereby breaking your vassalage.

While this will delay 'civilized' status until 1870, as opposed to 1860, you do get a lot of key techs much much much earlier and can use them to build your economy and colonial claims. This ultimately leads to a much stronger Japan by 1880, as opposed to staying isolated until 1860.

pillepalle said:
the title says it all. I read in the forum somewhere that I have to say no to the dutch, yes to breaking the isolation, choose the hardliner and then I'm supposed to become civilized by 1860, but - - nothing happend. did I forget sth or what?

I'm playing 1.03 and got darkrenowns mod

Take a look at teh events file for Japan

DeeDee said:
I think the best option is actually to accept the offer to become a Dutch satellite in 1842, get all the free techs, let your populace rebel and overthrow your government, thereby breaking your vassalage.

While this will delay 'civilized' status until 1870, as opposed to 1860, you do get a lot of key techs much much much earlier and can use them to build your economy and colonial claims. This ultimately leads to a much stronger Japan by 1880, as opposed to staying isolated until 1860.

If you are going to bother with all that, why not just make yourself civilized in the 1850s?

It is easy to get the prestige and industry. And I've found that if you are willing to go bankrupt you can get the mil score too...

so what do I tell Perry? I guess 'break the isolation'?

you may take all the decisions that make you closer of the western countries, I don't choosed to be a dutch satellite and it hapend so don't know what's going on to your game...

swilhelm73 said:
If you are going to bother with all that, why not just make yourself civilized in the 1850s?

It is easy to get the prestige and industry. And I've found that if you are willing to go bankrupt you can get the mil score too...

The mil score was always a barrier to me. I'd never considered going bankrupt to get the mil score. What are the negative consequences of bankruptcy?

DeeDee said:
The mil score was always a barrier to me. I'd never considered going bankrupt to get the mil score. What are the negative consequences of bankruptcy?

loss of PP and loss of half your factories maybe some over nice thingies... :cool:

anyway, If I can give you a key of my success with japan : build some steel factories, you'll win a lot of money (you can use your own coal but not to the end, it won't be enough when you'll reach a high production but it's usefull for good to start). And that's a quite historical option. After try to build some lumber factories and after that steamers factories.

:confused: You'll loose 500 prestige when going bankrupt, no? Not only do you need 10 prestige for cilization, negative prestige is generally a Bad Thing. Where are you supposed to get your Iron from?

(Well, I guess you can two-stage annex Korea - but still...).

Mindanao has iron and earlier in the game it's a lot easier to wage colonial war on Spain than it is to attack Korea. I took Mindanao and it's iron 25 years before I took Korea. Besides, taking Korea always seems to get you into a conflict with the Russians.

DeeDee

Lord Asharak said:
:confused: You'll loose 500 prestige when going bankrupt, no? Not only do you need 10 prestige for cilization, negative prestige is generally a Bad Thing. Where are you supposed to get your Iron from?

that's true you lose a lot when bankrupt hapend and it's very difficult to stand up again after it.

not silly the idea of philipines... I never thought about it :)

Lord Asharak said:

Don't think it's 500 prestige fixed. Also, you need 100 prestige to civilize, not 10, but maybe that was just a typo. Anyway, you won't be able to annex korea since they're not your neighbours which means that you can't attack them since your uncivilized.

I'd probably civilize Japan on my own, through trading for tech, building up industry, and then buying some cheap province in India to get the manpower for the nessecary 100 native divs.

Negative prestige is no biggie.

Basically make sure that you have the industry/prestige to civilize. THen build the military and go deep in debt.

The event will trigger very quickly after you get the mil score.

Then you'll go bankrupt, but now you'll be able to DOW nations for only 1 prestige.

Between colonial wars up the yazoo and colonization you'll be back up to positive prestige in no time...