Japan 500+ IC Murdering TC - Editing Save Files

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WWWWWWWW

Private
30 Badges
Apr 10, 2016
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
A combination of massive IC buildup as well as unforeseen events gifting me IC has resulted in my 500+ IC Japan. I cannot, however, sustain the factories (metal output is -500 a day, basically), so I want to destroy about half the factories I have since even though the IC decreases (which is fine considering how much I have), my TC gets absolutely obliterated. Both of the following methods I have tried result in a crash to desktop upon attempting to load the game. I was hoping someone could provide some insight into how I could do this.

1620509244348.png

Method 1 - decrease the 1.6800 IC_modifier to 0.6800; I assume that this would effectively halve my IC, which is fine.
Method 2 - manually go through each province and decrease the IC (both size AND current_size) by about one half.

Like I said, both methods just give me a CTD. Is there some other variable I need to be editing to do this? Is there a way I could write my own event to give me the outcome I desire? Thanks in advance.

A combination of massive IC buildup as well as unforeseen events gifting me IC has resulted in my 500+ IC Japan. I cannot, however, sustain the factories (metal output is -500 a day, basically), so I want to destroy about half the factories I have since even though the IC decreases (which is fine considering how much I have), my TC gets absolutely obliterated. Both of the following methods I have tried result in a crash to desktop upon attempting to load the game. I was hoping someone could provide some insight into how I could do this.

View attachment 716401
Method 1 - decrease the 1.6800 IC_modifier to 0.6800; I assume that this would effectively halve my IC, which is fine.
Method 2 - manually go through each province and decrease the IC (both size AND current_size) by about one half.

Like I said, both methods just give me a CTD. Is there some other variable I need to be editing to do this? Is there a way I could write my own event to give me the outcome I desire? Thanks in advance.
Nuke yourself. Preferably from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Seriously, that's all I got. Load as another nation and nuke yourself. And that's the peril of overbuilding IC. Not enough coal in the world to power your industry.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Not entirely sure here, but it seems that adjusting the economic slider towards consumer goods reduces the amount of resources consumed by IC. Although a few days to a week or so may be required to notice the effects of the economic adjustment. Have you tried adjusting the economic slider so that it is only producing consumer goods? Perhaps try this approach for a few days, or a week or two, and you may notice an improvement to your apparently dire situation.

Below (in the spoiler box) is an image found from the Darkest Hour manual that says the following:

"Each day IC requires 2 energy + 1 metal + 0.5 rare materials. Unused IC will not consume these resources."

IC_darkest-hour-manual.png

According to the above excerpt from the Darkest Hour manual, is it fair to say that "unused IC" occurs when the economic slider is focused towards consumer goods, thereby reducing the amount of resources consumed by IC in the context of industrial production? One would think such reasoning would make sense: since the war economy is no longer producing military equipment (including upgrades and supplies); then less resources should be consumed by the war economy.

Last edited:
Well, the solution is really simple and while Rohi is wrong he nevertheless hinted into the right direction.

Wasted IC don't use up resources. Wasted IC are shown in the top right IC listing. You can "make" them by putting more IC into production than necessary.
It does NOT work with putting those resources into consumer goods because this usage is not defiend as "wasted" but instead the IC are transformed into cash and "anti-dissent".

wasted-ic.png

In the above image you can easily see:
# wasted IC=31, available IC=132
# used up metals=101
So, only for used IC metal is used up. The 31 wasted IC do not use resources.

Nukes!??? * looks bewildered and utterly shocked by the suggested "solutions" *grin

Last edited:
Reactions:
and while Rohi is wrong
Yes. Regardless of what one perceives to be"hints" and so forth from Rohi's comment; Rohi was wrong to suggest allocating IC to consumer goods will reduce resource consumption. And a wrong response is a wrong response and deserves to be clarified -- even in a thread that is nearly one month old. Surely this is what Altruist was implying...?

To clarify:
  • 'Just did a test in Kaiserreich with the Princely Federation which starts with a lack of metal and energy required to meet its initial demand for industrial capacity. When the economic slider was moved to consumer goods there was no change in resource consumption. However, when the economic slider was moved to production -- and the production field was empty -- there was a significant improvement in resource consumption.
Also, page 11 of the Darkest Hour manual indicates the following:
  • "Excess IC can also be left voluntarily unused, which conserves natural resources that might be required in the future."

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Surely this is what Altruist was implying...?
*grin
Nah, I rather wanted to imply that without your comment I wouldn't had remembered that you can just leave IC unused.
And even in a 3-weeks old thread I found it worth mentioning that there are alternatives to nuking oneself or editing the save-file.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
[...] I found it worth mentioning that there are alternatives to nuking oneself or editing the save-file.
'Gotta admit that the "nuking from orbit" comment from above brought on a chuckle or two!

Are we seriously discussing the problem of Japan's too many IC? o_Oo_O
Personally finding this thread both a bit funny and interesting because in Darkest Hour Japan can offer a satisfying experience for a "turtle" type scenario, hence an IC buildup early on might be necessary. The idea with the "turtle" concept (in case one is unfamiliar) is to acquire necessary resource provinces early on, and then spend many years following building IC. Then, once perhaps 100 base IC has been added, production can be significantly increased so that reactors, rocket test facilities, and airplanes can be produced without issue.

Interestingly, the turtle concept is also a fun option with Italy -- in arguably any mod as long as Italy possesses a northern border of mountains (the Alps). Basically the idea here is to invest in Italy's IC early on, in addition to building fortifications in the northern mountain provinces. Again, once ~100 base IC has been added, then begin massive production lines.

Of course, the "turtle" concept can be boring for some. Personally noticed that it often presents entertaining later-year scenarios. Anyways, don't want to throw this thread off-topic so stopping here.