I've been building LaGG 3s for more than a year, and checking my built planes; I'm seeing only I-15s, I-16s, and ZERO LaGG 3s .

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dasaard200

Major
10 Badges
Feb 3, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
WHY am I showing outdated planes (500+), when I'm building LaGG 3s ??
Can anybody show me how to manage the BBA air scheme ?
I'm trying to figure this out, but no joy so far . I can add WFs to LaGG 3s up to my rubber limits; but which birds are being built, and WHERE are they showing up ?

If you've been building them for over a year and have 90 in stockpile and 0 deployed, I would guess you have far too few factories on planes. The reason they are in stockpile instead of deployed is probably because they have an incompatible mission set compared to your existing fighters. The LaGG 3 is the 1944 small airframe if I remember correctly, and those have a fourth module slot that is restricted to non-fighter weapons. So if your previous fighters only had the air superiority and interception missions available, new designs that can also fly CAS will not automatically reinforce them.

Reactions:
In Moscow, exercising, waiting for I-15s and I-16s to convert into LaGG 3s, in their hundreds . Then we can fight for yellow air !! ; as I've 96 LaGG 3s now, but 500-600 obsolete aircraft to diddle .
@Corpse Fool, with 3 WFs now on 1.21/day converting obsolete birds>LaGG 3s (or building 3.96/week as raw birds), which would YOU do ? Further, I've 8 rubber I can use with 8 future WFs ... if the AI doesn't buy them .
As of 24 May'42, 1.21birds/day [current build] x 7 days = 8.47/week, in 12 weeks you get 101.64 birds; in 60 days you get 508.2 birds .
6 months of these builds would get 1500-odd birds .
OR ;
I could now move 1 WF to air, using 1 rubber to prevent AI 'sniping' of my other 7 rubber .

Last edited:
I'm flying a *STUPID, BLIND, NO SPY* Soviet BBA learning run !! This could be a disaster run for @Bitt3rSteel, or @Alextherambler .

To say again, as of 24 May'42, 3 WFs of LaGG 3s punches out 1.21 birds/day .
1.21/day x 7 days = 8.47 birds/week .
8.47 birds/week x 12 weeks [84 days] = 101.64 birds; and here's where I goofed the math .
84 days x 5 = 420 days for 5 air units of 100 birds, at current base builds .

I thank you for pointing out my goof !

To piggyback on @Corpse Fool , a decent target number of factories on fighters in single player as a major power is about 50 from 1938 on increasing as you go on, if you're really interested in having an air force. Three factories in 42 is not going to cut it. If you initially do a no air build but want an air force later on, you need to increase the factories assigned to planes even more than that.

Reactions:
Are your LaGG3s mission compatible with the I-15/I-16? Air units will only upgrade if the types having identical lists of missions they can execute. If you added a ground attack capability to your LaGG-3s then they won't be used to upgrade existing groups.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are your LaGG3s mission compatible with the I-15/I-16? Air units will only upgrade if the types having identical lists of missions they can execute. If you added a ground attack capability to your LaGG-3s then they won't be used to upgrade existing groups.
I have found this to be true. Same with med bombers. Ff you add bomb racks to the new model and the old model didn't have them, you manually have to create new wings and train them up

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been building LaGG 3s for more than a year, and checking my built planes; I'm seeing only I-15s, I-16s, and ZERO LaGG 3s .

Perfectly realistic. Your corrupt underlings took them apart and sold the parts on whatever 40's equivalent existed of E-Bay.

If you're making just over 1 a day, how do you get 500 in 60 days?

3 factories is nowhere near enough, if you really cared about producing planes.
Dude, it's the Soviet Union, if comrade Stalin decrees 500 planes in 60 days, they report 500 planes in 60 days, lest they get shot. You know they never fly more than a few planes at a time during an air show anyway, so the engineers are safe.

Last edited:
  • 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For @Kanitatlan , a good day to you,
My LaGG 3s are fighters only, I'd hope to take a bite out of Bozo's air . Right now I'm looking at the short end of a 3:1 disadvantage in total air; I don't know what Bozo has in the Eastern front .
Rubber is the limiting factor, here, and soon I'll have other equipment to build; like halftracks to fit out my T-44 XXs .
My economy must also be able to bear upgrades to Rail and Supply; and I'm not sure how to fit those into my build scheme .

Overall, Bozo has reached 6 tiles of the Dnepr line centered on Kiev [taken], crossed the river in the 1 tile NE of Kiev province; is pushing for Crimea; is STUCK in Mozyr, while threatening Minsk; as of 24 May'42 . I don't think they'll get too far before my armor hits the map; but you never know .

For @Kanitatlan , a good day to you,
My LaGG 3s are fighters only, I'd hope to take a bite out of Bozo's air . Right now I'm looking at the short end of a 3:1 disadvantage in total air; I don't know what Bozo has in the Eastern front .
Rubber is the limiting factor, here, and soon I'll have other equipment to build; like halftracks to fit out my T-44 XXs .
My economy must also be able to bear upgrades to Rail and Supply; and I'm not sure how to fit those into my build scheme .

Overall, Bozo has reached 6 tiles of the Dnepr line centered on Kiev [taken], crossed the river in the 1 tile NE of Kiev province; is pushing for Crimea; is STUCK in Mozyr, while threatening Minsk; as of 24 May'42 . I don't think they'll get too far before my armor hits the map; but you never know .
Why don`t you import more rubber? Usually Soviets can import relatively safely, or just build refineries.

How do you get 50 factories on fighters by 1938?
Conquests, exploits, cheats...
Why would there have to be any of those? I specified "as a major power." It's just good economy management and not civ greeding.

I guess 1938 is more for Germany or the UK since they typically do civs until mid-'37 or start of '38 and then mils, USSR can do civs until mid-38 or even start of 39 without falling too far behind in military production. But either way, 50 factories on fighters within a year of starting building mils is pretty easy to do on any major. Even the USA is off of the great depression and partial mobilization by 38 and building mils. You don't need that many factories on guns and other infantry equipment with how cheap infantry is. You've also been building up efficiency on guns with your starting factories since the start of the game so you probably have plenty by the time you research good fighters.

A good strategy is to overproduce infantry weapons/artillery/support/trucks early and get a stockpile built up, and when you research your fighters move almost all your military factories onto them to get your air force going. Same with tanks. As Germany or the USSR, my factory split once everything is researched is something like 45% tanks/mech, 45% air, 10% everything else.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm trying out a *STUPID, BLIND, NO SPYS* Soviet run to learn the new 1.12.?? BBA system .
Rubber is being taken care of, other resources are also on the way . We are trying to fit in Rail, Supply upgrades, and want halftracks too .

If the LaGG 3s are the exact same mission capability as the I-15/I-16 then they should be preferentially deployed into the existing units. The only thing that would prevent this is if you have set something in the type preference. Have you set the squadrons to "exact type only" or "obsolete only" or anything like that? Without something like that your new fighters should be deployed overnight after being produced.

My LaGG 3s are fighters only
Even though they are "fighters only" you still could have added capabilities when you created the new design.
The I-15 and I-16 (at game start) are equipped with only LMGs. If your LaGG-3 design included either 4x HMG or 2x Cannon it adds Log Strike stats (but not the mission itself) which means that they WILL NOT reinforce a wing that is equipped with either the starting I-15 or I-16.
1679897608313.png

Reactions: