• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
EUROO7- You'll see what is the cost of that deal :D

Griffin.Gen- Treason, hmm? Want to be one of the bad guys? ;) But that would take the surprise out of it now we now you'll be the betrayer, but I'll have a good role for you.

Capibara said:
EUROO7- You'll see what is the cost of that deal :D

Griffin.Gen- Treason, hmm? Want to be one of the bad guys? ;) But that would take the surprise out of it now we now you'll be the betrayer, but I'll have a good role for you.
Alright whew, I'm not usually a bad guy, just a bit oversarcastic lol.

september2008.jpg

All right people, new AARlander is up, so go and check it, this month's issue is really good ;) Don't forget to comment the articles!

Chapter IX
The Return of the Bulls

The wind had started blowing several hours ago and the ship was advancing swiftly through the calm waters of the Mediterranean. It had left the port of Kaffa three days ago and the expected time arrival to Genoa was a week from now. After a hard campaign against the Crimean Khanate, the Genoese main army was returning to Italy, since war with Savoy was imminent; for years, it had been known the desire of Ernesto Ranieri VII to annex Genoa, but different circumstances had not allowed him, however, with Milan on his side this time, he had the perfect chance to fulfill his plans and give Savoy an exit to the sea. Genoa, on the other hand, was alone against the war machine of the combined Milanese and Savoian forces that had already rolled across most of Northern Italy and the only help they had was that of some Italian refugees from the other conquered cities and of seven singular soldiers.

Those seven soldiers were aboard this ship and were trying to get some rest before getting back to Italy. They had fought against Mongols, Turks and Persians for the last six months and still, there was the possibility of staying and fighting against Visconti. Their leader, Giacomo “Goma” Gusci was sitting on the floor, leaned against the main mast, trying to read between the continuous bumps the ship gave. His book has De Bello Gallico by Julius Caesar, he had always been very interested in Roman history and always told his friends he learned military tactics from that type of books.

“Again with Caesar!” a voice said above him, while a shadow was cast upon him.

“Enzo, get out of the way, you are blocking the sunlight.”

“Come on, you could read that book with your eyes closed.”

“But still, you don’t have right to interrupt me.”

“Close that book” said Nebaldi taking the book away from Gusci’s hands, snapping it close and throwing it to the floor “and let’s have a little chat, you’ll have plenty of time to finish your book during the rest of the trip, and either way, I’m always asking you about Romans and you always fail to answer one of my questions, so tell me, what was exactly the role of Vercingétorix in the war?”

“Oh, well…”

While Nebaldi and Gusci discussed about Roman history, in one of the far side of the ships, Auro Mazdi was having fun shooting arrows at the birds following the ship, while Sergio Inchi watched from behing, clearly bored.

“And that one should be number seventeen” muttered Mazdi, after shooting down another bird.

“You should stop doing that, you are wasting your arrows” said Inchi in an indifferent voice.

“After all the arrows the Mongols shoot at us we should have plenty of them” joked Mazdi while cleaning the sweat of his face with his sleeve.

“What are you doing?” Ordini had just arrived; he looked tired and was sweating, while drinking some water.

“Auro was shooting some birds” responded Inchi, closing his eyes, more bored than ever.

“That’s right. Share some water, Roberto.”

“I’m sorry, but you are not the only one thirsty right now…”

“Could you stop using that phrase? I know you really liked the Russian girl who that said it in the first place but you don’t have to use it every time you get a chance!”

“I’m sorry, but you…” started Ordini laughing.

“Oh, stop it!”

Inchi was laughing for the first time and seemed amused by the fact Ordini had pissed off the archer.

“Either way” he said “what happened?” referring to Ordini’s look.

“Oh, this. It wasn’t such a big deal, just a little disagreement with some of the soldiers.”

“What was it about?”

“We couldn’t get to agree which girls were more pretty, if the ones from Genoa or the ones from Torino.”

“I see” said Inchi getting up “Did they agree in the end with you?

“I’m pretty sure they did, especially after the fight.”

“I could have a word in this, you know” said Mazdi getting close. “We Genoese are very proud of our women.”

“I’ll discuss with you whenever you want, however, right now, I have to find Salvatore. He owes me some money.”

“Still? Are we talking about Constantinople?”

“That’s right. I was more than sure he would not get that Greek girl.”

“Same thought here.I saw him going down with Quinto muttering something about necklace, sale and money?”

“Thanks, see you later.”
Inchi waved at him, returning to his old position, while Mazdi was already shooting birds down again.

Ordini found both Nuglio and Orteni in the bottom floors of the ship, talking to a Genoese soldier who kept looking suspiciously both of them.

“I can’t believe it’s that expensive, no way” he said.

“You must believe me, I give you my word, an authentic necklace from the eleventh century, it was worn by a French maid, wife of one of the Dukes of Lorraine, made of pure gold, a real beauty, your wife, girlfriend or mistress will surely love him, trust me.” Nuglio was on a cherish mood rarely seen on him.

“Well, it does look good and she would like it indeed, so I’ll take it.”

“I knew I would be able to deal with you” said Nuglio while handing the necklace and receiving the money. “Have a good day.”

“I believe that money, or at least part of it should be mine” said Ordini walking towards his friends.

“Oh, it’s you” said Nuglio returning to his usual mood “will you give me a break with the bet?”

“Not at all, let me guess, it just keeps you remembering how you were unable to get a girl. Poor Salvatore… I’m sure you’ll get over it, now give me my money.”

Nuglio seemed to think about it for some minutes and then spoke.

“Here you go” he said, throwing some coins to Ordini “but remember; I’ll have my revenge.”

“We’ll see” answered Ordini.

“I need a fight, I’m getting bored” said Orteni “and above that, they don’t even have beer on this ship, we better get soon to Genoa.”

“Don’t worry, there will be enough enemies to kill when we arrive” said Nuglio smiling “Lots of Savoian and Milanese soldiers to kill.”

“Roberto won’t agree too much with that” said Orteni.

“You know he dislikes Ranieri as much as we like and all the dogs that follow him, so I don’t think he will be very bothered.”

“Let’s go up, see what the others are up to.”

The three friends returned to the deck, where they found out the other four had gathered and were talking. Gusci spotted them and shouted.

“There you are! Come here, we are discussing our near future plans.”

Ordini, Nuglio and Orteni joined the group.

“I was telling the others that we will arrive soon to Genoa and is up to us to stay, we have already received our pay from the Crimean campaign and have no ties right now, so what do you think, should we stay and fight against Ranieri and Visconti? Or should we just go to France and have a nice holiday.”

“You know as long as I get a fight I’m in” said Nuglio.

“Fighting for the homeland” said Mazdi “So probably in.”

“Fighting against the homeland, that means fighting Ranieri, so count me in as well” said Ordini.

“It’s been a while since the last time we were in Italy, it’s always nice to be back, even if it’s only to Genoa. I’ll go.” Said Orteni.

“I’ll do as Gaius says here” said Nebaldi.

“Then you’re in” responded Gusci. “Sergio?”

“I was actually looking forward to the vacation, but I can’t let you down, can I? So yes, I’m in.” said Inchi.

“Then it’s settled” said Gusci “We’ll stay some more time with the Genoese and fight along them against Ranieri and Visconti. “You may go now and do whatever you want, expect asking me about Roman history.” Gusci looked at Nebaldi. “Enjoy your week of rest, we are going to be a little busy after that.”

Giacomo “Goma” Gusci
hehe, Goma, sounds a lot like Coma :D

Also, very clever turning robou's AAR into a phrase, I read that line three times and chuckled.

Interesting now that there will be an offensive war against the savorians and milanese by the genoans.

comagoosie said:
hehe, Goma, sounds a lot like Coma :D

Also, very clever turning robou's AAR into a phrase, I read that line three times and chuckled.

Interesting now that there will be an offensive war against the savorians and milanese by the genoans.

That's right ;) I really enjoyed using robou's AAR title as well :D I guess you spotted the reference to your AAR as well? :)

Quite a group of characters, interestingly there does seem to be some splits between them, but I hope they do not mean too much. Very clever use of references to both me and Coma, that i noticed at least. Very clever indeed...

Griffin.Gen- Not at all, but that's more than enough ;)

robou- The typical differences in a group of, friends, nothing serious, as for the references, I enjoy doing them and thanks!

Enewald- I once read that you keep asking comagoosie things in his AARs and have him investigating all the time ;)

Qorten- Thanks! Maybe not always, but often :)

Bah! These mercenaries think they can defeat the Glorious North Italian Alliance?!

We will invade Genoa and then Rome. After, we'll go for Venice, Napoli, and Sicily. When we capture those, we will take Vienna, Paris, London, Stockholm, Moscow, Toledo, Lisboa, Constantinople, Alexandria, and ...

Hmm... I guess we'll stop after that. :)

:D

An excellent and exciting update :D . I think you have a natural talent for dialogue ! It moved as wittily and convincingly as a play !

EUROO7- Haha, Badboy would kill you before you even reach the gates of Paris :D You should write once an AAR of Savoy.

canonized- Thanks! Maybe I should become a playwriter :D

Now that the Bulls are back, I would like to see if anyone is interested in guest-writing, especifically those whose character is one of the Bulls, you would tell their life until they joined the Bulls, of course, you would need to agree in some points with the others, like at what point the joined the Bulls, if they had met one of them before, etc. What do you think?

Capibara said:
EUROO7- Haha, Badboy would kill you before you even reach the gates of Paris :D You should write once an AAR of Savoy.

canonized- Thanks! Maybe I should become a playwriter :D

Now that the Bulls are back, I would like to see if anyone is interested in guest-writing, especifically those whose character is one of the Bulls, you would tell their life until they joined the Bulls, of course, you would need to agree in some points with the others, like at what point the joined the Bulls, if they had met one of them before, etc. What do you think?
I would, but I don't know what my character is for now.

Griffin.Gen said:
I would, but I don't know what my character is for now.

Excellent! :D Just wait a couple more of characters and you'll know. ;)

HC.AFC said:
Just caught up.The AAR is still as great as ever and I can't wait for the return of the Bulls.

You'll see plenty of the bulls in the next chapters ;)

Sea voyages are always so boring. At least there will be some fighting in the future :D

Love that the bulls are back. At the moment I don't have any inspiration to write a background on my character. I really like the idea, but as my dabbling will probably be compared to your writing, I will have to think a bit more about it. Of course if all the others join in I can't stay behind, can I.