• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
war with sienna this should be good

(i have actualyl started to read and have noticed narative aars are longer to read but they still make a good story)

aldriq- Of course, he's "evolution" will be an important part of the story

rexodia48- I'm glad you are giving a chance to narrative AARs ;)

I'll try to write the update between today and tomorrow, if work let's me, but I promise an update before Friday

i hope the update is soon :p :D :)

Chapter II
The March to War

“Move soldiers! Those Milanese rats won’t be waiting for us all day” captain Rossi kept shouting as he passed next to the troops mounted on his horse.

Giovanni felt he was going to pass out. They had been marching since dawn and hadn’t stopped in all day. The sun shone high in a cloudless sky and made every step heavier. Hopefully, they would stop soon and get some rest. He drank some of the water Giuseppe was offering him and walked a little faster, since he was being left behind.

“So, what do you think?” Giuseppe asked Giovanni in a cheerful way.

“About what?” responded Giovanni.

“You know, the Milanese army, people say it’s huge and has already crushed the Florentines in Pisa” Contrary to Giovanni, Giuseppe didn’t look tired at all and marched as if they had just started. He was a professional soldier, just as the rest of his family and had dedicated his whole life to the military career. They had become friends shortly after Giovanni entered the army.

“I don’t know, people tend to exaggerate facts all the time, I don’t doubt they’ll be a formidable opponent but I’m sure they aren’t as scary as they want us to believe.”

“I’ll be more than happy of killing those dogs, they truly deserve it, that way we can teach them a lesson.”

“You are really looking forward to this war, aren’t you?”

“I’ve trained all my life for this, I know I’ve been in other wars, but nothing compared to this. Milan will be a tough test.”

“Yeah, I know, let’s just hope we don’t get ourselves killed in the very first battle.”

“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of you. I won’t let Duke Visconti get near you.” Giuseppe joked.

“Talking about Visconti, I’ve heard he is very proud of his beard. That would be something I’d do, chopping it off and putting it as a trophy in my house” Giovanni laughed. The conversation made him forget his fatigue, at least momentarily and now Captain Rossi had given the order to rest. They sat down in a log adjacent to the road.

“Finally” said Giovanni alleviated “But I wonder, why would Rossi wants us to stop? This is not his style.”

“Maybe something happened ahead that doesn’t let us advance, but I’m sure there’s a good reason” said Giuseppe “Let’s not worry, and rest; we won’t have much in the following days.”

“You’re right”.

Giuseppe stood up and looked around. “I’ll go to see Captain Rossi and try to find out what happened.”

It was a nice day of spring, the beauty of the Toscana could be seen around them, with blooming flowers, the sun shinning and even a couple of beautiful girls walking along the road, now the army was resting, some of the soldiers whistled at them. Giovanni simply smiled and the image of Anna came to his head. He was going north, where…

“Hey, Giovanni! Come over here!” someone shouted and interrupted Giovanni’s train of thought. He looked one side and another until he spotted a group of soldiers sitting in a circle and waving at him. He recognized one of them as Roberto Del Vecchio, one of his roommates back in Siena. The other ones looked familiar, but he couldn’t remember their names that very moment.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Nothing at all, we just wanted to know if you wanted to join a dice game.”

“Sure, why not?”

Giovanni stood up and went to join Del Vecchio and the others. A little dice game would be fun. They had put a small wooden table in the center, while everyone was sitting in the grass. Giovanni sat next to Del Vecchio and an old soldier.

“So what are you gambling this time? Giovanni asked.

“Some money, as always” responded Del Vecchio.

“Since we have just received our pay, we’re giving it good use” said one of the soldiers smiling.

“Let’s start then” Giovanni said.

The game went on for an hour or so. Giovanni had good luck and won a considerable amount of ducats. He was wondering where Giuseppe could be when he saw him running towards him, smiling.

“Where you’ve been? It’s almost an hour since you left.”

“I couldn’t find Rossi and after I did, I stayed talking with him.”

“So, did you find out why we stopped?”

“Yes, Rossi told me we are expecting reinforcements soon”

“Reinforcements? From who? I thought the whole army was here right now”

“I know, but I’m not talking about Sienese soldiers. The Pope isn’t very happy with Visconti’s recent actions nor does he want a border with Milan with the actual situation, so he decided to support us in the war. He’s sending the Army of Bologna.

“Bologna? Aren’t they the ones who want to get rid of Papal rule?”

“Just a bunch of revolutionary adventurers, he’s sending the loyal ones, they are expected to arrive before nightfall, so we have some free time. Either way, Rossi has decided to make the camp here.”

“There’s a small town not far away from here, let’s go and see if we find a tavern, beer is on me.”

“I like the idea, let’s go.”

After walking for twenty minutes, the two soldiers arrived to the town, where they found the tavern quickly. It was a small, cozy place. They sat in table near the corner, ordered a couple of beers and started talking.

“What did you do while I was looking for Rossi?”

“I played a game of dices with Del Vecchio and other soldiers.”

“Del Vecchio? I thought he had remained in Siena for a possible defense of the city.”

“No, he’s here.”

“And how is he?”

“He’s good, gambling as always, actually most of the money I won was because of his recklessness.”

“Fortunately he’s not the same in battle.”

They kept talking for another couple of hours, until they decide to return, captain Rossi, wanted every soldier back before the Bolognese arrive, so the camp could be armed quickly and properly. The soldiers needed to get some rest. The most recent reports showed the Milanese were not far away from their position.

The Bolognese hadn’t arrived yet when they reached the rest of the army, but it didn’t take long before they heard the march of a big army coming from the east. Maybe it was smaller than the Sienese one, but discipline compensated that. All the Bolognese soldiers formed in an almost perfect way, with their armors shinning with the last light of the fading sun. Captain Rossi greeted the leader of the just arrived army and he then turned to his own soldiers:

“Men! Time to start putting up the camp, some of you will be sharing your tents with the Bolognese, so get to work!”

After lots of hard work by the Sienese soldiers, with some, occasional, help of the Bolognese, the camp was ready. Giovanni and Giuseppe were of the lucky soldiers who had to share their tent with a Bolognese soldier.

Giovanni and Giuseppe were already resting in their tent when the Bolognese soldier entered. He nodded lightly with the head greeting them, left his things in the floor and exited again.

“He doesn’t seem very friendly” Giuseppe said “He didn’t utter a single word.”

“Give him time, he’s tired and probably not in the mood for talking” Giovanni responded as he accommodated himself, so he could rest better.

Giuseppe took a book out of his bag and started reading. Giovanni turned around and looked at him surprised.

“What? Do you think just because I’m a soldier I don’t know how to read? My mother took care of that, she sent me with the monks for a year while I was a boy so I could learn how to read and write. She always thought it could be useful. I enjoy it as well.”

“What are you reading?”

“The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri. It is very interesting so far. The way Dante describes Hell is magnificent.”

In that moment, the Bolognese soldier entered the tent.

“Sorry for the rudeness before” he said, looking at them “but I had to revise some matters with my captain, now I can introduce myself properly. My name is Giulio Franchini, and, as you may suppose, I from Bologna.”

“Nice to meet you” said Giovanni “I am Giovanni Ricci and this baboon over here is my friend Giuseppe Santi.”

“A pleasure” said Giulio while Giuseppe hit Giovanni in the head with the book.

“Take a seat, please” said Giovanni in a friendly way “let’s talk.”

“Any interesting tale?” asked Giuseppe while he put away his book.
“Not that I remember” responded Giulio.

“Then you could tell us the story of your life, that’s always interesting, especially a soldier’s one” suggested Giovanni.

“That’s a good idea” seconded Giuseppe.

“It could be a bit long…”

“Don’t worry, we have all night” interrupted Giovanni.

“All right then” said Giulio. He sat down and started.

Uuu... men telling each other their stories... and then someone attacks the camp during the nigth and everyone is killed and those three survive and counterattack and kill the enemy army and eat the big beard and everyone is happy. :p

Or something else.

But I want more. :D

I trust the Bolongese will be of some assistance and perhaps even being bale to form a motely band with Giovanni and Guiseppe

Dante is not a typical soldiers idea of entertainment, but perhaps Giuseppe turns out to be not so ordinary a soldier.

I think the war will wait

Enewald- Nah, maybe in other AAR, but who knows, maybe I'll listen you ;)

comagoosie- I realized that too late as well, I'll deal with it soon, and yes, the reinforcements will come handy

robou- Haha, a band would be nice, but not now :p

Slinky- Maybe he is, maybe he is not, or maybe it was the first book he found

Castor94- At least another chapter ;)

The zoroastrian GOD!

As there probably isn't any zoroastrians on this forum, no one will be offended. Imagine if someone called themselves Allah or Jehova...

I'll put the three of you just for discussing:

Goma Gusci

Auro Mazdi

Ene Baldi

:D

:rofl: @ comagoosie, Ahura Mazda and Enewald.

I like Giuseppe, he seems like an experienced soldier. :D