• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for not breaking up this update in little ones with cliffhangers. The suspense would likely have killed me. :p

This was a great read Capibara.
I think Ranieri's head will fit great on a rope, at St-Peter's Square!
...Wow I really don't fit the role of the Pope!
But seriously, I guess the next and last update will be Conclusion, looking forward to it.

Euro is going to get a kick out of all those doctor references. :p

A nice and large chapter to encompass all the action.

But it seems that this book is about to close, shall another one start up?

138 kills in one battle eh? That's so impressive it's hard to believe. The whole troop together must have killed like at least 700 on their own then. Anyways, good writing (except quite some spelling mistakes). Do we get a last update with Anna and Giovanni meeting again?

Well, you can't become a top-notch mercenary by just killing a bunch of enemies in battle ;) Besides, it was a big battle and a lot had to be done to survive.

Ha.
Pompeius would have had the moral support of all the Rome behind him, would there have been any kind of bloodshed between Caesars advancing troops and those loyal to Rome. :eek:o

And in that situation Ceasar would simply have said 'parlay?' :D

Anna won't be happy, you just can't go and kill someones husband and than claim the wife to be yours. :cool:
But that'd be cool.

Who knows? Maybe she was just waiting for him to die :p

Thanks for not breaking up this update in little ones with cliffhangers. The suspense would likely have killed me. :p

You are welcome. I really wanted to get this battle in an only chapter as well

I agree, a glorious and epic battle like this, split in instalments becomes... much less glorious and epic.

Treason and death resolved, we await closure on love and friendship in the final(?) chapter :)

Of course we'll have love and friendship at the end. Or otherwise I could just kill all off the characters :D

This was a great read Capibara.
I think Ranieri's head will fit great on a rope, at St-Peter's Square!
...Wow I really don't fit the role of the Pope!
But seriously, I guess the next and last update will be Conclusion, looking forward to it.

Haha, Ranieri hanging in the middle of St-Peter's Square, that would be an awesome view :) And you are right, next update will be a short epilogue where we'll find out some stuff.

Euro is going to get a kick out of all those doctor references. :p

A nice and large chapter to encompass all the action.

But it seems that this book is about to close, shall another one start up?

You just decide to post the moment I am responding the other comments! You could have commented five minutes earlier! :p

I'm sure EURO will like the doctor references. I'm glad you liked the chapter. As for the next book, that will be up to you ;)

You just decide to post the moment I am responding the other comments! You could have commented five minutes earlier! :p

I'm sure EURO will like the doctor references. I'm glad you liked the chapter. As for the next book, that will be up to you ;)
If you would have made your update 5 minutes shorter to read :p

Nah I kid, loved it :D

I'll read it asap, promise. :eek:o

Epilogue​

It was a shinny morning in the city of Siena. The streets were full of people who had gone out to enjoy the good weather. Children running while their parents watched them half worried, half amused. Young men who were going to meet with their friends in the nearby taverns. Not everyone had the day off, however. Some workers were repairing the damages caused by the war. The main nobles had returned to the city and had organized a new government. However, it would be some time before the city returned to its former self. Things were returning to their balance in other parts of the peninsula as well. The Pope had returned triumphantly to Rome with Ranieri loaded in chains and now the former Savoyard king was locked in a dungeon underground, while Valentino Sforza had taken control of the Milanese throne. Peace had finally been restored, at least for now, in Italy.

A couple walked through the streets of the city, which were filled with memories from better times. It hadn’t been easy to go through everything that had happened in the last months, but especially in the last weeks. Events that had changed their lives forever; but had brought them together as well. It had been difficult, however. Anna had been married against her will, but years beside her husband had made her grow fond of him and to hear he was dead had caused a nasty effect on her, which only got worse when she heard that the killer had been Giovanni. She had been torn between two feelings. She was now free to go back to here childhood love, but she also had had a shadow in a corner of her heart remembering of her husband and the way he had died. However, the weeks passed, and the wounds closed while old feelings reappeared. Nothing would ever be the same between them, but things had worked out good since they had returned to Siena.

“Hey! Wait for me” Giulio was running behind them, trying to catch up. He had returned with them to Siena and hoped to stay there for a while before returning to Bologna.

“We are not going anywhere, we are right here” said Giovanni, who was holding the hand of Anna.

“Thanks for waiting me. I heard Gusci said they would be leaving today.”

“That’s right, there’s where we are going. Want to say goodbye before they leave. Who knows where we’ll see them again.”

“Let’s go then.”

The three of them kept walking through the streets of the city for a while. Finally they arrived to the gates, where the Seven Bulls were already gathering. Just as Giulio, they had accompanied Giovanni and Anna to Siena to take a break before going back on adventure.

“There you are” Nebaldi had been the first one to notice to three friends approaching. “I thought you weren’t going to come by.”

“You know we wouldn’t let that happen” answered Giulio.

“So… Here we are. Now what?” said Nuglio “We hug each other and cry.”

“I think that won’t be necessary, Salvatore.” Gusci said “Some words should do it. Giulio, it was good seeing you again, it’s always a pleasure to fight by your side. Giovanni, you were very brave and I admire that, take care and I hope to see you again.”

“Giovanni, you learned a lot during this war. You are an excellent soldier and a great human being. It was an honor meeting you.” Said Inchi.

Each one of the Bulls said goodbye in their particular style and then mounted their horses. The gates were being opened and they would soon be gone.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us Giulio?” asked Ordini “I would be a pleasure to have an eight member in the group.”

“Thank you, I’m honored, but I’m too attached to Italy and I have been very busy this last months, I would rather have some rest.”

“Well then, I hope we’ll see another time in the future.”

“Let’s hope so.”

“So, where will you be going?” asked Giovanni.

“Have you heard of this guy, Marco Polo?” asked Mazdi.

“I have heard his name mentioned somewhere.”

“Good. He is a traveler. He supposedly went east and arrived to a great empire with very interesting things to see, as well as continuous wars against barbarians. So we are going there to see what he was talking about. It sounds like a challenge for us, nonetheless. So, it’s probable we won’t be back in some time.”

“Goodbye, then.”

“Farewell, my friends” said Gusci.

The gates were now opened and the Bulls exited the city of Siena. At that moment they looked impressive. Gusci at the head of the group, with Nebaldi and Mazdi at his side; followed by the other four Bulls. Inchi with his belt full of knives, Orteni with his two big axes tied to his back. Ordini looking towards to horizon, thinking about the adventure that awaited for them and Nuglio with that unique look in his faces, wondering if he would find worthy foes in that mysterious land they were heading towards.

Alright good ending :D

Our adventurers head off in the setting sun to continue their mercenary group in some far off land, which they know nothing about. It is a sequel!

Soooo .... any chance of a screenshot of the state of the world at this point :p

Very well written and I hope you write another narative soon, though your gameplay AAR's are also fun. :)

Sad to see it come to an end, but I hope the Bulls will be returning to the fora in some incarnation, eventually. Nicely done.

Finally got round to reading the end, and I must say I was not disapointed. I have always been impressed with your writing Arturo, and it never ceases to be so. During this AAR, you have explored the themes, though none of them themes that have not been covered before (friendship, death... just look at the title for the themes :)), in a very original way. The question that I am thinking of now is tis: What was this a story about? Now, that might make me sound like I have not properly read this, but if I can explain. Is this the story of Giovanni? Is it the story of his love with Anna? Is it the Bulls story? Well, I have come to the conclusion that it is all of these, and more. In that respect you kept the story very consistent with the title. these 'tales' of so many different themes and seperate storys form into a single idea: Italy. Hmm, not sure where I am going to go from there. Bravo? :D Good show Arturo, and I am eagerly awaiting your next project, even if it is not the sequel to this. In that respect, I think you dug your own grave with those last lines. We will hound that sequel out of you eventually... maybe even a prequel. ;)

I don't know why but I feel a sequel could be coming :)
The Bull's adventure to China.

A sequel would be neat. I support the idea. With lots and lots of adventures along the way.

A sequel could be coming, however, that will up to you ;)

To China!
Perhaps they might become local warlords and one could found a dynasty of his own. :D

Nebaldi perhaps... Warlord of China, just to get killed afterwards by some Chinese peasant :p

Bulls... China... shop... trouble :D

I imagine you'll take a rest before starting a second narrative? Plus you've got certain ABC AAR to get back to... :rolleyes:

The ABC AAR! I had totally forgotten about it! I'll try to play a while and post an update.

Alright good ending :D

Our adventurers head off in the setting sun to continue their mercenary group in some far off land, which they know nothing about. It is a sequel!

A sequel that, as I said might depend on you guys but be sure there will be a sequel.

Soooo .... any chance of a screenshot of the state of the world at this point :p

Very well written and I hope you write another narative soon, though your gameplay AAR's are also fun. :)

Haha, a screenshot would be nice, I'll try to get (or fabricate... :p) one. Narratives will keep coming, don't doubt about that ;)

Sad to see it come to an end, but I hope the Bulls will be returning to the fora in some incarnation, eventually. Nicely done.

Maybe a HOI2 AAR that features their descendants? That would be an intersting idea.

Finally got round to reading the end, and I must say I was not disapointed. I have always been impressed with your writing Arturo, and it never ceases to be so. During this AAR, you have explored the themes, though none of them themes that have not been covered before (friendship, death... just look at the title for the themes :)), in a very original way. The question that I am thinking of now is tis: What was this a story about? Now, that might make me sound like I have not properly read this, but if I can explain. Is this the story of Giovanni? Is it the story of his love with Anna? Is it the Bulls story? Well, I have come to the conclusion that it is all of these, and more. In that respect you kept the story very consistent with the title. these 'tales' of so many different themes and seperate storys form into a single idea: Italy. Hmm, not sure where I am going to go from there. Bravo? :D Good show Arturo, and I am eagerly awaiting your next project, even if it is not the sequel to this. In that respect, I think you dug your own grave with those last lines. We will hound that sequel out of you eventually... maybe even a prequel. ;)

Thank you very much! It was a pleasure writing this AAR and having such devoted readers, despite of the intermitency of the updates. I really hope to have you guys around in my next projects, wheter they are narrative or gameplay.

I wonder, how was this excellent story connected to EUIII? :D

It's situated in the EU3 period ;) :p You know it was more of an excuse to write a narrative :)

***​

Once again, I want to thank you all for reading my AAR and for commenting each one of the updates and giving me ideas for upcoming chapters, withouth you the Bulls would have never come to existance and probably this AAR wouldn't be what it became. I really appreciate it. I will try to update my gameplay AARs while I prepare my next narrative project, the prologue of which can be read in the February edition of the AARlander and will start in the following months in the Victoria forum, so be sure to check around every once in a while if you would like to follow my new AAR.

As for the sequel everyone seems to be awaiting, I can tell you that there will be a sequel, however, that will be up to you. The thing is, I would like to make the sequel a cooperative AAR, where each one of you would write a chapter focused on your character, either the one you had from Italy or a new one I would provide. As the summer approaches, I expect you to have more free time, so if anyone is interested in participating, please let me now, it would be great to have you writing in this sequel. Whatever your choice is, I hope to see you around in my other AARs. And once again. Thank you!

Arturo , I have to say . Bravo ! Bravo !

Your narrative scope was not only tight , but it hit hard .

I think the greatest part that you've cultivated in your AAR is the first part to your subtitle: Friendship .

The believable and deep friendships from the three dimensional characters you've set up is a testament to your amazing skills as a writer .

This ending was definitely , as others have already pointed out , epic . And I am completely honoured that you have given us this gem to remember .

The Bulls will continue to be an enduring fixture in our imaginations and I indeed encourage you to write a sequel .

Thank you very much again for this amazing work , Arturo . You've done something worthy of great praise !