• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wergy

Major
45 Badges
Aug 24, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
I was a big EU fan for years. I had almost every DLC for EU3, but it eventually became a mindless steamrolling or exploiting of game mechanism so I stopped playing for about two years. Today I gave the game another try and... It didn't get any better. You either steamoll or you're steamrolled. Or you can exploit some mechanics the AI is incapable of using properly in order to survive as a minor country. Some countries are just ridiculously strong, others are nearly unplayable.
There aren't even such great mods out there!

I can't believe that this game has the very same issues it had in 2018...

Last edited:
To be fair, EUIV was released in 2013. So, indeed, there have been no patch since for EUIII.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I was a big EU fan for years. I had almost every DLC for EU3, but it eventually became a mindless steamrolling or exploiting of game mechanism so I stopped playing for about two years. Today I gave the game another try and... It didn't get any better. You either steamoll or you're steamrolled. Or you can exploit some mechanics the AI is incapable of using properly in order to survive as a minor country. Some countries are just ridiculously strong, others are nearly unplayable.
There aren't even such great mods out there!

I can't believe that this game has the very same issues it had in 2018...
As pointed out by gigau, the game has the very same issues as it did in 2018 because it's exactly the same game as it was back then. The last patch for the final expansion was released close to a decade ago, so none of the issues you remember have changed since you last played. Basically, it is what it is, and will inevitably remain so, including both the good and the bad points....and it DOES have some good points.

I did a run as Dai Nam a few months back, and that was pretty good until around 1600 when I reached the point of military parity with the major Western powers, after which it was just going to be "the usual" blobbing, and therefore time to start another campaign or play something else for a while. I can't think of too many other games from a decade or more ago that are any better in that respect. Eventually you know practically all of the tricks, bugs, quirks, and exploits, and it's too easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: