It is sad that IR seems to me to be just one step away from perfection.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Calardaras

Sergeant
37 Badges
Jun 30, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
You could say that IR is "boring". But this "boredom" is definitely not caused by the lack of content, but by the lack of interaction between these mechanics. I would like to leave aside the subjective factors of the players and just discuss the mechanics of the game. For players who can find immersion, IR is still interesting enough.

cycle.png

I think the flow of IR can be abstracted as a cycle of energy between the economic system and the military system. Economic output is consumed by warfare, and pops and goods from expansion are then fed back into warfare through the economic system, and so on and so forth. The two main areas of activity for the player - economic building and expansion - are crucial in this cycle. If the player has exhausted his imagination and can no longer find meaning in either, then the game cannot continue. The mission tree almost compulsively gives the player a formal goal to keep expanding and building. Aside from the many drawbacks of the quest tree, its positive aspects, such as narrative possibilities and immersion, still do not solve the core problems.

As I mentioned earlier, IR is actually quite rich in content. But this content is not tangibly involved in the way the game works. Rather, it takes the form of a weak and seemingly dispensable buff that acts as a catalyst to speed up the circulation of energy between the war and economic systems. These subtle 2.5% modifiers, stacked from the massive amount of content, feed an unstoppable war machine. There are only three ways for this war machine to consume energy: expansion, crushing rebellions, and civil war. The latter two, however, take place in a way that the player will do his best to prevent. In the end, the sheer amount of mechanical repetition involved in the painting process can easily lead to boredom. To make matters worse, there are even a number of formal mechanics set up within the game that limit expansion, mechanics that are largely unexplainable by historical logic and almost unresolvable by in-game action.

Of course, without being a fastidious simulationist, IR could be considered a "complete" game if only the community would continue to add richer narrative content. But I'm not sure that's still a worthwhile point, and I'd like to talk about what I think the best IR should be. Since I don't have any game design experience, it might be naive to discuss this only from a player's perspective. My core idea is to put players in more aspects of stress to keep their attention and drain their energy.

Early stage, the economy in the expansion phase and the balance of war.

1. Citizenship

Citizenship determines the quantity of the army, class determines the quality of the army and manpower determines the sustainability of the war. In most phases of the game, overwhelming numerical superiority is almost the only factor determining victory.

Firstly, the process of granting citizenship would not be blocked by the conservatives in the first place, as the player's action directly overrides the character and the government. Secondly, the only negative effect of granting citizenship in large numbers is pretty much just a reduction in happiness. If you start the game with Rome, import all kinds of happiness-increasing goods into your capital, give citizenship to the Samnites and Etruscans at the beginning, and conquer them quickly, you'll get almost 100 cohorts in the first ten years. Since happiness is too easy to stack and the capital province is always loyal, you could say that the happiness mechanism is completely broken.

Regarding the two questions above, I think they can be addressed in two ways. Firstly, all existing citizens would certainly hold on to their citizenship for dear life. Until there is a serious shortage of labour and the country is about to die. Let the process of granting citizenship be handled by an in-game system, such as Senate approval. Even if the player ends up granting citizenship in some way, the faction system can be used to stop it. The current faction system lacks the negative consequences that can occur when support is very low - think of what happened to the Gracchi brothers. Second, the widespread granting of citizenship in a classical republic has unforeseen consequences. This relates to my thoughts on government overhaul, which I will discuss in more detail in a later section.

2. Economy

Let's reconsider trade goods and happiness.
The happiness bonuses in the current trade goods are linearly stackable, so it is not difficult to maintain a high happiness level. To limit this, my idea is to grade them. The level of the item would determine the maximum happiness bonus, and the number of items would determine the number of people covered by the bonus.

3. Diplomacy

Much of the imbalance in the difficulty of war comes from the imbalance in the diplomatic system.
On the one hand, the player's allies are a little too loyal. I don't know if you've ever played a small Gaulish tribe. Once you declare war, you don't even have to send troops, your allies can help you finish the conquest, and as long as you have a claim, the land you fought over will always be yours. Historically, even the vassal states, most of them were just sitting on the fence.

On the other hand, I think alliances should be the most advanced form, very, very difficult to achieve. More often than not, they should be temporary alliances, in the form of organised invasions and requests for help, for example. The former should be similar to the great holy wars of the CK series, where numerous small tribes are gathered to plunder or colonise an entire region as a target. I think such a mechanism would be vital for the migrating tribes. It might also make the borders of the civilised world a little more tense. Requesting aid, on the other hand, is an act of diplomacy in which something tangible is offered in exchange for another country's military assistance. Historically, there have been many small countries that have asked larger countries for military assistance when they were facing a crisis, such as Rome against Pyrrhus and the First Punic War. Also, I think the diplomatic system should be similar to Total War and Civilization.

4. Supply

For one thing, the supply system is too rudimentary. Rome may not even be able to conquer the Samnites if the first road is not built. In the game, cohorts are basically reinforced by airborne paratroopers. If the supply line mechanism is introduced, it will no longer be possible to replenish troops once they have penetrated deep into the enemy territory. The supply line can also be cut off by the enemy.

The current food system in the game is in desperate need of a numerical rebalance. The pressure of food shortages is barely felt. A large part of the reason for this could be that the regional penalties after raising taxes do not include a food reduction, and the very low manpower levels could lead to a reduction in food income. In addition, long-term mobilisation and war damage can even cause permanent economic damage. These can be turned into incentives for actors to develop their economies.

5. Internal drivers

As I said before, what IR needs most are bridges that allow the different mechanics to connect with each other. I think there is no better way to do that than with characters. Characters are representatives of the pops and naturally have economic attributes, the class. They are also involved in political life and can be the driving force behind domestic policy. At the moment there is almost no interaction between economics and government. The two systems are controlled by the player almost independently of each other. should continue to deepen the character system so that characters can influence player decisions more, perhaps in the form of a more active faction goal. Even the class conflict that Rome has long faced can be recreated.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
Middle stage, managing a vast territory.

The direct administration of too large a territory was almost impossible because of the inefficiency of ancient communications. And to a large extent the expansion of Rome did not completely eradicate local powers. The process of moving from formal dependency to the full establishment of provinces cannot be ignored. This section will talk about how to limit snowballing in three separate directions, 1. economic collapse 2. population assimilation 3. local government

1. Classes

With the introduction of many new mechanics, the current class system is becoming increasingly self-contradictory. Freemen contains at least two contradictory aspects: 1. Plebeians with citizenship who have the duty to serve in the military (providing manpower). 2. People who live in the state but have no citizenship, are basically the conquered. The distinction between the two in terms of whether the cultures are integrated or not is a sensible one, but it is not enough. In the game, once a culture has been integrated, the newly conquered population of that culture is also considered integrated. This is one of the reasons why snowballing is so easy. The scope of granting civic rights must be limited.

Tribes also have at least two contradictory aspects: 1. Main population in the tribal country. 2. Marginalized groups far from mainstream society. This will lead to very serious problems, if you play a tribal country, you will face a huge levies gap after reform.

My ideal population system should include at least 3 aspects, economic status, political status, and self-identity. Economic status represents livelihood and property. In my opinion, a Latin small holder and a Gaulish settled tribal small holder should have the same economic status. What these two produce under different governments depends on what obligations the law requires of them. Therefore, political status should be strongly tied to law.

Economic status - Livelihood and Property

We certainly do not need an exhaustive job classification. The three current classes should be sufficient to show the economic structure: Nobles for the upper class , Citizens for the middle class, and Freemen for the lower-class. But it didn't work to put enough pressure on the military system. At present, the bankruptcy of freemen into slaves is almost a positive process.
For this to make sense, we need at least two things: an economic process to bankrupt the citizen, and the political pressure that comes from the bankrupt citizen.
For the former, We have to show the citizens how to survive, whether they are craftsmen or farmers. Further, need a clear demarcation of the land. In terms of ownership, we need to clarify whether the land belongs to the state in common or to the landowner in private. In terms of the people who cultivated it, we need to be clear about whether it was farmers or slaves. For the latter, we need need to introduce a new class, the proletarians. They, unlike the slaves, have certain civic rights.

Political status - Civic Rights and Duties

It is feasible to use Pop Ratio to simulate the process and result of social structure evolution. But the pop ratio is broken because of the current social class divisions, which mix economic and political status at the same time. The local economic structure of conqured land will gradually degenerate, but no one is really there to exploit them. In this process, the right of enter contract and the right of inheritance play no role at all. I really liked the design of the cultural decisions, but find it is a pity that they are just numerical modifiers.

As with the difference between Roman citizenship and Latin citizenship, the political status is a combination of rights and duties. On the one hand, economic status determines what rights will be granted. On the other hand, rights also affect their economic status. When there is a mismatch between right and duty, there is a high risk that something like the Social War will occur.

Self-identity

Whether a community is seen as integrated depends not only on the civic rights granted to it, but also on their own Self-identity. The self-identity does not immediately disappear with the destruction of the country, but forms a force against assimilation. Conversely, assimilated communities will be dissatisfied with their political status, as in the case of the Confederates of Rome in Social War.

Therefore, the concept of self-identify must be introduced for the Pops. Self-identify point to a country, whether it exists or not. It is only gradually transformed after being granted certain rights. It is only when this identity changes that it is truly integrated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Imperator Rome has alot right going for it, even looking from the initial release, one example being the map design itself has a much better quality appearance than Ck3 which i'm currently playing, and it's Map Interact-ability.

Add to that the Mainstream Popularity of it has greater potential as its design is Map painting + a side of Character focus inspired by Ck3 just as Europa Universalis is Map Painting + a side of Economic focus inspired by VIC 3. Add to that Ancient History is a Hugely Popular theme.

As you say the issue was not in the concept or the content itself, but how the content was being interacted through mechanics :
1. The way it's received to the Player = UX & 2. The way it is appeared to the Player = UI.

If any Game richly dense in content, can not provide content in a clearly effective & digestible way, it can be seen as 'bareboned' to players that can not receive or see it. The last Patch fixed quite abit of these issues, Imperator Rome had no cemented fanbase to fall back on, unlike CK3, EU4, HOI4, Vicky 3 etc.

I wish they would come back & release content and DLC especially for Celts, Iberians, Germanics and Barbarians now since the Greco - Roman world has got alot of love.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: