• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Topias

Major
65 Badges
Sep 30, 2015
Since there doesn't seem to be a bug forum for the game and I'd rather this got more visibility than in the bug thread that does exist, I'll just start a new thread here.

I'm trying to play the game while signed in with my Triumph account. I know my username and password are correct, as I reset my password trying to solve this issue.

aowiiia.png

As I hit Play, I get the following error message.

aowiiib.png

Dragging the topmost popup window aside, the following window is also revealed underneath.

aowiiic.png

The topmost window prevents me from interacting with this window. Hitting the only available option, OK, in that window simply throws me back to the launcher.

I tried reinstalling the game as well as deleting my old data from when the game did work and letting the game generate that directory from scratch. I was able to find only one other instance of this issue online, which unfortunately didn't include a solution. Running the game using guest account worked without an issue, but this naturally deprived me of all my custom characters, which I'd really prefer to keep.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution? I suspect the devs are too busy with Planetfall to be able to help with this.

Apparently something is wrong on Paradox's server which prevents it from sending information to AoW3 launcher for new players or players returning after a long time (so most players, not in these 2 categories, are not affected).
You should be able to skip that by playing as guest ("Use guest (offline) account"). It's possible to get your leaders and save from your main account, but not to play in multiplayer. See instructions here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/0/1770385542785828555/#c1814296273121161784

I've confirmed that I can successfully launch the game when using a guest account. While this is fine if you only intend to play offline, it is definitely not a solution to the issue, and especially not for anyone wanting to play online with others.

I hope this gets fixed soon, as I just got my friend to purchase the game, but we can't even play.

Last edited:
You should be able to skip that by playing as guest ("Use guest (offline) account"). It's possible to get your leaders and save from your main account, but not to play in multiplayer. See instructions here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/0/1770385542785828555/#c1814296273121161784
Thanks for linking this. My issue was with custom leaders, not save games, so simply copying the save games over to the guest account's folder didn't solve the issue. However, I took a look at the Username.APD and Username.APS files in the profile folder, and noticed they contained my custom leader data. So, I tried replacing the corresponding files in the guest account's folder with my account's files and renaming them to GUEST[OFFLINE].APD and GUEST[OFFLINE].APS respectively. I was now able to find my custom leaders and start a game with them, so this seems to have solved my issue. I'm going to need to try editing the leaders, creating new ones, and playing a random map from start to finish to confirm there's no issues with this fix.

I don't play multiplayer, so not being able to isn't much of an inconvenience for me, but I imagine some other users might not be entirely happy with this solution.

This is very strange that this is occurring now. I'll be taking a quick look at it right now to see if I can find anything on my end.

If I may ask, which region are you trying to play the game from? Since this might be a region specific issue.

It appears that the issue is not with the region, but it had to do with something else. A fix has been rolled out on the backend which should solve most if not all of the issues reported.