Issue opening the game from GoG Galaxy, MacOS (launcher-installer-macos: permission denied)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kesarion

Recruit
43 Badges
Jun 16, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
After installing Stellaris (2.6) through GoG Galaxy (2.0.13) for the first time on Mac (10.14.6), it seems there is an issue when launching the game. I suppose it needs to finalize the setup by running `/Applications/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos`, but it doesn't have the right permissions:

Failed to install Paradox Launcher:fork/exec /Applications/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos: permission denied

I made the file executable (chmod +x launcher-installer-macos) and ran it manually (./launcher-installer-macos). That seems to have done the trick, the game now starts fine, but most people will not know what the issue is, let alone how to fix it.

I'm making this thread to get the devs involved (whoever's responsible for MacOS/GoG) and to help other people with this issue.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Is your MacOS User Documents folder on your local disk, or has iCloud grabbed it? If the latter, that's a problem with the launcher at the moment - can you move it back?

If that's not the issue, then it's probably a file access/permissions issue in MacOS. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Then select the Privacy tab. Scroll down to files and folder in the left column. You’ll see a list of apps and the folders they need access to. Check the box to give access.

@AndrewT Yeah, the Documents folder seems to be in iCloud now, I think they've made it a default option, so you can expect a lot of people to have it set up that way. I don't think there's any other issue after running that installer file, but someone from Paradox should investigate the issue and find a way to make the process automatic (as it, supposedly, was at some point).

The launcher has problems with iCloud and OneDrive, it is true. It would need a fix in the launcher I believe.

Have the same problem, iCloud is disabled, when I tried your method I receive "No such file or directory" in Terminal. Almost give up (
Did you look at the permissions as I described in post #2?

I have a similar problem. When I try to start the game I get the message: "Failed to install Paradox Launcher: fork/exec /Applications/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos: no such file or directory..."

GOG Galaxy 2.0.15 (43)
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
iCloud: ON

I have a similar problem. When I try to start the game I get the message: "Failed to install Paradox Launcher: fork/exec /Applications/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos: no such file or directory..."

GOG Galaxy 2.0.15 (43)
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
iCloud: ON
This is an unrelated problem to the one discussed in this thread; in future please make your own thread, thanks.

Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

Hey, I know this was posted a while ago, but try running this command from Terminal. I had the same issue myself just an hour ago.

Code:
diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

If you have trouble running it, try:

Code:
sudo diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

Also from Terminal.

Also getting this error.

I use GOG Galaxy to install to a separate drive on macOS 15.7.

Failed to install Paradox Launcher: fork/exec … permission denied
Did you try the steps in the post above yours?

Odd then how they helped them but not you! What output did you see from those two commands?

@Shoshin I wonder if you have any further thoughts on this?

Odd then how they helped them but not you! What output did you see from those two commands?

@Shoshin I wonder if you have any further thoughts on this?
From the .log—

2020-10-21 09:32:51 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2019.11.1
2020-10-21 09:32:51 [main] [INFO][0m The `launcherpath` file does not exists:
/Users/eglinski/Library/Preferences/Paradox Interactive/launcherpath
[35m2020-10-21 09:32:57 [main] [CRITICAL][0m Failed to install Paradox Launcher:
fork/exec /Volumes/Київ/GOG/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos: permission denied
2020-10-22 11:22:52 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2019.11.1
2020-10-22 11:22:52 [main] [INFO][0m The `launcherpath` file does not exists:

From the .log—

2020-10-21 09:32:51 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2019.11.1
2020-10-21 09:32:51 [main] [INFO][0m The `launcherpath` file does not exists:
[35m2020-10-21 09:32:57 [main] [CRITICAL][0m Failed to install Paradox Launcher:
fork/exec /Volumes/Київ/GOG/Stellaris/launcher-installer-macos: permission denied
2020-10-22 11:22:52 [main] [INFO][0m Dowser version: 2019.11.1
2020-10-22 11:22:52 [main] [INFO][0m The `launcherpath` file does not exists:
You're still using a very old version of the launcher installer there. Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.13-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the GoG folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in GoG, to reinstall the launcher.

Good luck with that!

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're still using a very old version of the launcher installer there. Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Good luck with that!
This works! So Paradox has to update the launcher files included in the Mac game on GOG. Looks like an error on their end?

Thanks so much for your insight and aid here, AndrewT

Now I can’t even post this comment to you because the forum is responding: “Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.”

Now I can’t even post this comment to you because the forum is responding: “Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.”
Forum users with low numbers of posts cannot include links to anywhere. This is an anti-spam measure. You can post anything else but links.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello sorry to dig this thread but I am having the same issue..

Currently on Mac OS 11.2.3

Tried all command in terminal But none of them worked..
The link for the installer package is dead so I can't force an update of the launcher..

Thanks

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions: