• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 14: A roadtrip through Spain (1500-1511)
Part 1 - Riding and fighting (1500-1505)

europa_EU3_MAP_SPA_1500.10.2_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 2 october 1500.

The 15th century was a bloody period. I doubt there will ever be such a bloody time around as back then. Hundred of thousands, maybe millions, have found their death during the century. But from this all, one empire has emerged. While Granada was one hundred years ago on the brink of destruction, it has surely risen to unknown heights. Well, of course the Romans had an even more extensive empire, but for them the history is over. For us it has just begun.
For me, my time is almost up. I have fought in the last war my father, Muhammad VIII, had begun. I have pulled my empire right through the Great War. The depression was something that had to becovercome. And now, finally, I have succesfully campaign against Great Britain. Historians have all the right to call me Sa'd the Warrior.

sadthewarrior.jpg

The padishah who has defended his empire against all odds.

On 1 october 1500 I was standing on the border between the provinces Ayrshire and Cumbria. I could see the army of Mary III standing on the other side of the hill. Mustafa, my great general, advised to wait a few days, and then ride against her. But I looked at my own horsemen, and saw that they were exhausted. Not only from the fighting, but from the suffering, the war, everything.
I decided to go forward myself, with a white flag. The British, quite surprised to see a white flag from us, didn't do anything. I could ride unhindred through their ranks, seeing that they were in no better state than my army. The shocked faces, filled with fear, showed me the humanity of the other side. Something I had not seen in a long time. The British men stood aside, forming a hague for me to ride through, ride to the tent where Mary III was sitting. She looked broken, could barely stand. When I stepped down from the back of my horse and started to speak about terms of surrender, she could do nothing else than nodd. Just nodd. It didn't take long to secure a peace treaty. She had to cede here territories on Iceland and Ireland, along with entire Wales. Also, she had to provide clothing and food for my men. She barely had them herself, but she just nodded. A broken woman, who had never expected me to actually invade the island.
The next day the peace was settled. Carloads of clothing, along with food they had to plunder from their own towns, was brought to my army. It was a relieve for my men to finally have a days rest. The uniforms we recieved were different from what we were used to. It was the look of a new, westernised country. The look of the 16th century. It was that moment, on that day, that I decided to break with the past. To form a nation that truly reprecented the greatness whe had become. And well, actually I was now matchng my empire to these uniforms, but nobody should know that.
That day I let the men with me change their cloths. From the leftovers we composed a new flag, to represent the new nation. From now on, we were to be called 'Spain'.

treatyofbritain.jpg

Eyewitnesses later told they had never seen something like this before: An entire army laid down their clothes, stood naked in front of their emperor, who personally gave the first soldiers the new clothes.

2 October 1500. Exactly 413 years after Saladin had captured Jerusalem. The day the nation transformed. I needed to get the news to all parts of the Empire, I needed to see if everyone truly converted to the new order. I needed to make a roadtrip through Spain.
I told Mustafa, my loyal general, that he should take one half of the cavalery and ride against the rebels who were tearing my empire apart in one direction: I would go in another direction. Not only inspecting the Empire, but also defeating any rebel that came in my sight. But first I had to get my men out of here. Get them back to the main continent.

islamspain.jpg

Spain is a western Islamic nation.

6 october 1500. My men were just beginning to march when a herald from far across reached me. He had rode non-stop from the Italic provinces. He had heared that the pope had declared a crusade against us! I guess the Papal States do not approve with the change of my empire.

crusade.jpg

The pope declares a crusade against us? Well, I guess we have to march against Rome.

14 october 1500. We have arrived in Gwynedd, the northern province of Wales. And on the other side of the water I can see a united Ireland: United under a muslim banner. The people here are still trying to accept the new muslim administration. They'll learn to accept it. I heared they believe in Leprachauns. Well, they can keep on doing it, as long as they don't revolt and put turbands on the heads of those creatures.
I now have to wait for the transport cogs to arrived, so they can take me to my next destination: The Netherlands.

eu314a.jpg

The Celtic areas of Ireland and Wales are under Spanish controll. I now just need Cornwall to complete the series.

14 november 1500. On 24 october the ships had arrived. It took my men five days to load onto the ships, who then sailed in 18 days to the coast of Holland. The horses went mostly seasick, along with half the men, so it took us only three days to unload everyone. After my experiences with the rebellions after the Great War, I thought it was wise to start here. How bad would it be? But, as it turned out, there were no rebels. Yes, in the south, at the French and Guyenne border, there was some trouble. But not here, not in the Netherlands.
I even went to the newly build mosque in Amsterdam, without beeing ridiculed by the locals. The local administration had it build not that far from their cityhall, near the Dam in the river the Amstel. Maybe the citizens will one day see the light and convert to the true faith. Untill that day I just let them have their churches, as long as we can have our mosques.
For now I decided to stay for the rest of the month in Amsterdam. Have some refreshments, let the men have some time off. That's always good for morale. Next month I will go east, to see my German minors.

netherlands.jpg

The Netherlands is very quiet. Mustafa will clean out the southern parts. Inlay: The great mosque of Amsterdam.

9 februari 1501. We had marched for 16 dayes. Through Friesland, to the plains of Osnabrück, where Hannoverian rebels were laying siege. The battle that followed took almost two months, but finally we won. The rebels had been smashed. During this fight I got news that the pirate appearances hadn't faded away. They were still showing up. Had Mary III learned nothing? In a few years, I'll be back to strike again. Even if it will take the whole century, my heirs will just continue to smash them untill they are no more.
Also, I have recieved word from the Ragusa ambassador: My offer for vassilization was gladly accepted. Now that they had fought themselves free from the Ottomans, they are slowly giving up their freedom to another empire. How ironic. Also, the Byzantine Empire allowed me to marry my nephew Hassan to one of their princesses. Finally, a bond between our nations is beeing made. Maybe next time we can talk about an alliance?
The morale of the men is high. So let's go to Westfalen, do do some more fighting.
9 may 1501. The battle for Westfalen was quite succesfull after three months of fighting. We have droven the rebel leader, Friedrich Arnsberg, back. He is fleeing with his remaining men to Kassel, where I already got some men stationed. They are laying siege on the town, since it is occupied by rebels. My horses are also fast, so we'll be waiting for him!
18 may 1501. With my arrival, the siege of Kassel went even better. We have freed the province from the rebel scum. And my scouts report that we have still three days to prepare for Friedrichs arrival. We'll be ready for him. The luitenant of the local forces is diging his men in, preparing them for the battle to come.
Some grave news: a messenger reached me, who told that the colonisation of another island in the caribbean had failed. I won't give up. Next year we will have another go.
21 may 1501. Victory! The moment Friedrich marched with his men towards the city of Kassel, the infantery stood in front of them, luring them closer. Untill they were within charge distance from my cavalery. With one stroke of slaugther, we squashed the rebel uprising.
The rest of the month we will rest here: next month we will go further to the east, to inspect the border with Bohemia.

kassel.jpg

The battle for Kassel is won: the connection between the Netherlands and the eastborder has been secured. Inlay: We defeated those Hannoverian rebels with my excelent cavalery.

9 june 1501. I urged my men to ride to Niederlausitz, were rebels were laying siege. My lieutenant recieved orders to solve the occupations we would see underway. But while we are now just riding towards there, I heared from a herald that trouble was stirring in the christian church. A schism? I don't know. What I do know, is that the citizens of Lüneburg have decided that catholicism isn't the right way. I can only agree with them on that point. But now they are starting their own church... I hope it won't give much trouble in my empire.
I have also recieved word that king Ludwig Anton I from the Teutonic Order has renamed his country too, into Prussia.

protestant.jpg

On 9 june 1501 the Protestant reformation started.

7 july 1501. With one stroke of luck I squashed the rebels in Niederlausitz. There was almost no resistance. They had heared the tales of the defeat of the previous two rebel armies, and every men rather fled than face me. Now I have to go to Franken, where a good, organised army of rebels is laying siege.
16 august 1501. The battle is going heavy. I don't know if we will make it through to victory.
1 september 1501. We are having heavy losses. And I just recieved word that the African province of Mellila has defected to Morocco. The fools. Now I have to annex Morocco.
12 september 1501. Retreat! We were too unprepared for this battle. The fight was long and hard, and I have lost. The shame. But I'll be back. I just regroup for a few months in Bamberg, and then I'll strike back.
11 october 1501. I'm still refreshing my troops, but now the news of Lünebergs' Protestantism has spread. Thüringen has become protestant too. Not that I care much: both catholics and protestants are heathens anyway. So let them have their fun: one day they will find the true way.
2 december 1501. It is time. The cavalery has been refreshed, my men are ready for battle again. Together with 20,000 men I ride today to Franken, where I shall meet the rebels again. This time I will crush them.
30 december 1501. After less than a month of fighting, we are victorious! I have destroyed half their army, while I lost only 300 men. That will teach them. They are now retreating back to Bamberg, so we ride after them. There is no escape from the full armored cavalery of Sa'd the Warrior!
7 januari 1502. It wasn't difficult. I arrived a few days before the rebel army, and could therefor prepare my men for their arrival. Broken the rebel warriors approached, and none stood a change when we charged towards them. In one day it was over: the rebels were beaten. Now we have to ride to Erz, where two rebel armies are laying siege. My infantery is doing well with the sieges, but I need to get those armies out of the way.
25 januari 1502. On my way through Dresden, I paused for a moment to help the local lieutenant with the siege. And with succes! The province is once again free from rebels.
1 februari 1502. I was too late! The rebels had occupied Erz and moved on to Sudety. My loyal lieutenant will see to it that this siege will continue, while I ride on to meet them in another province.
17 april 1502. And once again the fight went badly. Am I getting old? We are running back to Erz, with the rebels on our heels. But luckily some reinforcements are awaiting there. My men had freed the province, and await our arrival to prepare for the rebel army.
12 may 1502. Again! The rebels drove me and my men from Erz. But we'll be back.
1 august 1502. The time has come. Forward, men! We will ride to Erz!
1 october 1502. The battle was long and hard. I have lost several fights against them, but I finally managed to get rid of those rebels. I will move south now, onto Croatia. To the warmer area's. The days are starting to get colder, and I believe I saw the first snow. I have heard that there is trouble in the south too, and along the way I can inspect my Austrian provinces. I haven't had word form my loyal general Mustafa yet. I wonder how the campaign in the west goes.

bohemia.jpg

After the rebels in Erz had been defeated, the north-eastern part is free. Inlay: The victory was just in time. Winter was coming.

17 december 1502. On my way to Croatia I encountered some heavy resistance in Görz. But the fighting is less intensive than it was in Erz. I'm really glad of that.
I also recieved word that more christian people don't agree with the affairs of the pope. He had called a crusade against me, the great padishah. Ridiculous. That's what the people in my vassal Wurttemberg also thought. They rebelled against their religous leader, in a way different from the protestants from the north. They called themselves 'reformed'. Well, like with the protestants, they just go ahead. One time they will see that the only true path is to follow in the footsteps of the great profet Muhammad.
I guess this century will be one of religious conflicts...

reformed.jpg

On 17 december 1502 the Reformation started.

26 januari 1503. The resistance in Görz is broken, but those Austrian rebels flee to Lienz. I'll have to go there to finish them off.
14 februari 1503. The last rebels near Croatia are finally defeated. But although I'd love to visit the province of Croatia, business is calling. In Italy it is quite a mess. I'll have to see that it is solved nicely.

croatia.jpg

The border with the Ottoman Empire is still infested with rebel-occupied territories, but at least there are no rebels roaming free anymore. Inlay: No roaming rebels, but sieges are still a problem in the region.

9 april 1503. I was letting my men rest in Treviso, to prepare for entering Italy. But instead of me coming to the rebels, it is reversed: the rebels are attacking! As soon as my scouts reported the march of their army, we saddled up and prepared for their arrival. We can take them.
2 june 1503. The rebels have recieved reinforcements. This is looking rather bad.
8 june 1503. These reinforcements are fresh, we can't compete with them. Flee, flee towards the city of water: Venezia.
28 november 1503. In the city of water we waited, brooded till we were fresh enough to strike back. In the middle of the night we took 20,000 gondolas and sailed to Treviso, where we unloaded the horses and rode towards the enemy. For two months we fought like a storm sweeping over them, and today we finally managed to drive them away. We will follow them, hunt them down, for no rebel may live in the Spanish Empire!
10 december 1503. The rebels were moving in two groups. Yesterday we slaugthered the first one, leaving no trace but the battlefield. Today we fight the other half.
22 december 1503. We have won in Verona, but those fleeing rebels are fleeing once again: back to Treviso.
26 januari 1504. Finally, the battle is over. Now I only have to crush the rebels in Lienz to get rid of all the opposing force here in the south-eastern border of Europe.
30 march 1504. The fighting continues, and scouts report that on the other side of the Alps also a battle is raging. Is it... would it be... I'll see after this battle.
In the meantime I recieved word from my Islamic brothers from the Middle-East. The old king of Oman had just died. He had willed that his throne would go to Syria, but the Mamluks think that's too rediculous. The Syrians had rebelled against them, and would now recieve another piece of land? I can quite understand the feeling. What will be the outcome of this war?

syriamamluk.jpg

War between the Mamluks and their former subjects from Syria about a land quite far away: Oman.

17 april 1504. Mustafa! My loyal general has returned from the west. He rode in front of his army, in the valley of Schwaben, towards the mountians of Tirol, where I had just crushed the last if the eastern rebels. I asked my general what had happened in the west, why he was here, so far east. I had given him specific orders to clean out the west.
The news he brought filled me with pride. After I had left, there were uprisings in the Netherlands, which he had quelled. Also, he had cleanshed the westcoast, along with the German minors. but there was some grave news too: a large army of Frankish rebels was marching around in the former French territories, ensuring total destruction. And he hadn't had any word from the Iberian peninsula, although the fires that burned there could be seen even in the Central Massive. his last words shocked me. The homeland on fire? Rebels crawling like maggots all over the place? A dire task laid ahead of us. Luckily we were together now. Our first course of action will be to ride towards the western Alps, to destroy the rebels around Paris and then move south. It is time to roll out.

alps.jpg

No more rebels in the east. Let's go west, to free the Frankish provinces from the rebel scum. Inlay: To celebrate the vicorious horses from the gondola's, my finest artists made this statue. It symbolises the way the gondola and the horse were one.

30 may 1504. Mustafa and I both took a different route, but we ended both up in Lotheringen, figthing rebels side by side.
10 july 1504. The rebels are beaten, but I recieved news about a new uprising in Bamberg. Mustafa offered to ride to there, to squash those new rebels. In the meantime, I had to ride to my Franksih provinces, to quell the rebels there.
1 august 1504. It is quite a mess in the south: Tunis has defected to Morocco! Luckily it's my vassal. I'll have to improve our relationship, so I can get those provinces back without any fight.
1 januari 1505. A new year. I haven't been to the Iberian peninsula yet, although I can clearly see the smoke from across the mountains. I have fought here in Toulouse, and the rebels fleed into Guyenne territory. Now I need to go north, to defeat the last rebels here. Or maybe not the last... Word has reached me that quite a lot of rebels are laying siege on Guyenne provinces. Well, I surely hope that the smoke from the Iberian peninsula isn't such a bad sign as I fear it is.
1 april 1505. A messenger reached me. The province of Fez has defected to Morocco too. Those fools! Don't they know that Morocco is ripe, that when my reputation among the nations is better it will be harvested, added to the great Empire? But for ow my vassal is growing while I am fighting on the other end of the sea.
1 may 1505. The fight at Auvergne was going well, but now they have fresh reserve troops. I guess they have routed the locals, the men ain't looking that brave.
28 may 1505. Hello Mustafa, your right on time! Together we will crush this rebellion in no time.
While fighting over the plains of the southern Frankish provinces, I noticed that Lyonnais had a change of ownership. It changed from Guyenne back to France. Well, France was gaining territory. If this continued, they would eventually match eachother, instead of having one 'supernation'. Not that it mattered much. One day they will both be mine.
8 june 1505. Today it's been 50 years since the crown of the padishah went from my father to me. Fifty years already. Time flies when your having wars. And how do I celebrate this joyfull event? By fighting rebel scum. Once, when I was an ideallic young man, I wanted to bring peace and prosperity to the Empire. Instead, I showed it the largest war imaginable. Did I deserve the throne? I guess so, I saved the country form beeing ripped apart by the christian nations.
14 juli 1505. Let's call it a 'tactcal retreat' this time... We lost, but We'll be back.
1 august 1505. Dire news! Gafsa has also defected to Morocco. And Albania has declared their independance from the Ottoman Empire. Their Empire is slowly falling apart... I really hope that my Empire will not share that fate.
1 october 1505. It has been five years. Five years of fighting the rebel scum that roams free around my Empire. And I haven't even seen all of it. I must go to the Iberian peninsula, the african part and the colonies in the far west. In this time two new heathen religions have formed: Reformed and Protestant, both schisms from the catholic church. Well, that would teach the pope some lesson. Calling a crusade against me won't go without proper punishment. This is what Allah has given him.

religion.jpg

Slowly but steadily the Portestant and Reformed movements are spreading accross Europe.

During these five years I have travelled throughout Europe. I've seen the Irish coast, the great Amsterdam Mosque, the Bohemian winter and the gondolas of Venezia. I freed half of my Empire. Now the other half. Rebels are spawning in the Frankish provinces, and even some have been spotted in the Netherlands. Men are on their way towards Iceland and IReland, to kick the rebels over there in the nuts. And of course, south, where I must go...

europe.jpg

Europe is partly free. But see how the west is threatened by rebels, and from the Ottoman Empire some rebels have entered my domain too.

I can see the burning form here. How can I possibly imagine the horrors that could be going on over there? Help was underway, my citizens, but I just need to finish off the north first. But the dark clouds that have gathered above the Iberian peninsula, only to be lightened by the fires that rage across the once fertile fields, are bringers off doom. My men are yet too scared to cross the Pyrenees yet. But I will go there, I will free my people.

pyrenees.jpg

The other side of the Pyrenees is burning, the Iberian peninsula is suffering.

Some sidenotes:

I wanted to do something else with the coming peacetime. And what better to do than to have a roadtrip? Although I haven't finished it yet, it is already quite some trip. I could have continued before posting, but then you'll had to wait even more days... And I'm already overdue. That's why I decided to already post the first five years of Sa'd's journey. I'll continue as soon as possible with the rest. But I first have to play the rest... My last savegame is indeed form 1 october 1505.
Ok, now this is really cool: I came across a new Indian animation movie, which is to be released this year: Sultan the Warrior. This really looked to good to be true, since 'Sultan' looks like 'Sa'd' :). I used their title to create Sa'd's name.
All these 45 years I hadn't used Sa'd as a general. Well, he actually has ruled long enough, hasn't he ;)? For the purpose of the story, I made him general, so he could travel trhough the Spanish Empire himself. And he seems to quite manage himself too. Or you can say that he just doesn't want to die...
About the Amsterdam mosque: That drawing is from a mosque to be build in Amsterdam, only over 500 years after the time we are talking about now and in the western parts of the city.
I think I indeed will mod the inquisition to be available to Spannish sunnites. But... I will keep the original demand that the leader has to have an administration skill of at least 6. And Sa'd doesn't have that. So with a new padishah I'll mod it, so it will be available. If of course that padishah has a high enough skill.

Last edited:
Lots of rebels and now it seems you'll have to convert Protestant and Reformed populations as well

Well, protestants, reformed or catholic: all are heathens ;). So that's not a great difference. But those rebels are a problem, especially in North-Africa, where my provinces are slipping away. Luckily towards Morocco, a vassal which I hope to annex when this mess is all over.

Monnikje said:
Well, protestants, reformed or catholic: all are heathens ;). So that's not a great difference. But those rebels are a problem, especially in North-Africa, where my provinces are slipping away. Luckily towards Morocco, a vassal which I hope to annex when this mess is all over.

It's a great difference! They take up tolerance sliders!

Tjena Med Laxen said:
It's a great difference! They take up tolerance sliders!
IN doesn't have tolerance sliders - various things (I don't know what exactly - I don't own IN) affect your tolerance of other religions. Also, unless IN changed it, religions of other religion groups are all tolerated together.

Rodrico Stak said:
IN doesn't have tolerance sliders - various things (I don't know what exactly - I don't own IN) affect your tolerance of other religions. Also, unless IN changed it, religions of other religion groups are all tolerated together.

Okey, cool : - )

Assos: Thanks! I haven't started to attack the natives in America yet, but the time certainly will come :).
Tjena Med Laxen & Rodrico Stak: Indeed, there are no sliders anymore in IN. You basically got three groups: the one and only true faith (in this case: Sunni), the heretics (in this case: Shiite) and the heathens (the rest). So the time that you changed the slider for tolerating reformed and hating protestants one day and refersed the next day are over. That's also why it doesn;t matter to me if the provinces are catholic, reformed or protestant: they are all heathen, all in the same group.
asd21593: 10 points for you ;). I actually couldn't find my lotr mega-über-special-extended-gigadvd's, so I had to be satisfied with a screenshot from the trailer (or actually, a part of it: one of the first seconds of the trailer of rotk). Well, those rebels are just like orcs :). I'm just wondering if Sa'd is also a ringbearer...

Chapter 14: A roadtrip through Spain (1500-1511)
Part 2 - Fighting and dying (1505-1506)

europa_EU3_MAP_SPA_1505.10.1_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 1 october 1505.

The past five years I travelled through the eastern and northern part of my Empire. The catholic faith is collapsing, Lithuania is expanding, the Ottoman Empire is lossing controll over their lands. This is surely an interesting start of the century.
Now, on 1 october 1505, I decide to go to Limousin, while my loyal general Mustafa would go to Roussilin. I went north, he south. Both with the goal to exterminate the rebels. But he would soon join me north, since there were quite some rebels in the central Frankish provinces.

19 november 1505. The battle of Limousin was succesfull. Now I need to go east, to Dauphiné, where three rebel armies are
14 august 1506. Together with the infantry regiments, who approached from the east, I attacked the rebels in Dauphiné at 11 januari 1506. We were definately with more men, but still the battle raged on for quite some time. It took us 7 months to kill them all, but at the end, none survived. In the mean time the province of Safi defected to Morocco. When I get there, I'll teach them a lesson too! Now I plan to finish the French rebels once and for all.
15 august 1506. A messenger from accross the mountains arrived. Four small Spanish armies of 3,000 men each were busy with a guerilla war against the rebel oppressors. They had freed Portugal, but almost the rest of the Iberian peninsula was occupied by rebels. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands, were roaming through the land. I was shocked. I had seen the fires burn, heared the people cry, but this? Immediately I asked about my family, my sons, my daugthers, my grandchildren. The messenger was unable to speak for a while, terrified at telling me what I know now. Dead. He had seen personally the rebels storm Madrid, entering the palace walls. Nobody saw any good muslim coming out of there alive. Tears started to flow, my feelings hurt more than any war could possibly do. Bloody Mary could send her pirates, the Holy Roman Empire could send their armies, but none could hurt me deeper than these rebels did.

iberia.jpg

The cries of thousands in harsh conditions could be heard even in Kongo (both the African and Asian territories, that is). The Spanish homeland was under siege. The brave guerilla warriors were doing a great job, but couldn't hold any province for long. They definately needed reinforcements. Inlay: The message that I recieved from the Iberian peninsula.

22 august 1506. The cleansing of the land has to continue, but I don't want it anymore. My haven't eaten in days. People are starting to worry about me, but I just can't go on anymore. What have I done? Waging war like this, figthing everyone. I could have foreseen that it would end up badly. After 51 years of rule, I could have guessed it...
3 september 1506. All men are in position. But I just can't give the order to attack now. Not while my heart hurts like this, not while my men are down too. The news about the royal family has cut deep in the men's morale. So for now we just surround the province. Mustafa in the South, I in the north and some infantry units in the east.
17 september 1506. My loyal Mustafa... What could I do without you? My dear friend has reminded me of some spark of hope: Muhammad, my grandson. He is almost an adult, but very clever. My son Achmed has sended him to the university of Parma. I hadn't spoken him on my trip through Italy, but he had managed to pull through. He will be my successor, regardless of whom accidentally survived the onslaught in Madrid.
27 september 1506. Is Allah angry? A small hope had bloomed ten days ago, but then it started to rain. I feel so cold, wet and soaked. My lungs hurt, my body is breaking down. I don't know if I will make it. Mustafa won't leave my bed, here in a tent at the Frankish westcoast. O, how I'd loved to see the islands we had colonised the past few years. If there is one thing I wanted badly, it was that. Find an island to flee away from the daily troubles of the Empire. But now I can't even walk straight anymore.

colonies.jpg

The caribbean colonies. Inlays: The northern colonies. Sa'd I the Warrior loved islands, as can be seen.

1 october 1506. I can hardly speak anymore. My lungs hurt too much. Every breath I take is a hell. I hope it ends soon. I have asked Mustafa to continue the roadtrip I have started, and to guide Muhammad in his first years. He has good university knowledge, but lacks the practical education needed as a ruler. I think I won't be long around here.
The world is changing rapidly. Christians, protestants, reformed... All heathens, but they surely stirr up things. Maybe within a few years we should be actively spreading the Islam among my European citizens, before more religions pop up. I'm a relic from the 15th century: the 16th century will be different, and I'm not wanted here. O my Allah, I must be dreaming with my eyes open. Are those pink elephants walking through the tent?

religionnorth.jpg

religionsouth.jpg

Religions in Europe. As can be seen, Protestant and Reformed are spreading fast. The Atheïst rebels have occupied quite some piece of land, but not for long.

On 5 october 1506 Sa'd I the Warrior died in a tent. Witnesses were Mustafa, his loyal general, and a few other officers. His body was send to Sa'd Bedhyra, the place he always wanted to go during his life. His grandson became the new padishah. But that's for another chapter. For now, we will all remember and mourn for the great warrior.

sadi.jpg

The achievements of padishah Sa'd I.

Some sidenotes:
If I had known that the padishah would life just one more year, I might have made the previous chapter and this one into one chapter. But well, now there was a nice cliffhanger ;). The new padishah is really better than Sa'd I the Warrior. But well, Sa'd didn't study at Parma, did he? We'll see how things go. Next chapter I'll introduce you to the new emperor.

I have colonised quite some provinces in the past few years. Here is an overview of the names and an explanation:
- Puerto Rico means 'Rich port'. I translated that to Arabic, which led to 'Myna al Ganyh'.
- Barbados was named this way by the Portugues explorer Pedro a Ampos. It was so named, presumably, after the island's fig trees, which have a beard-like appearance. Of course I wanted to give the island an Arabic name. Since the Arabic name for beard is lihya, I named the island 'Lihya'. I just keep the same spirit in the namegiving of the islands :).
- Baharona is a Spanish last name, and according to some it is even an Arab last name. Well, because of this, I stuck with the name Baharonas. If it is Arabic anyway, why change it.
- Tortuga means 'Turtle', as the Spanish sailors called it after the shape of the island for the coast of Haiti. The Arabic name for turtle is sulahfat, so I called that part of the island 'Sulahfat'.
- Taqamkuk is the original Mi'kmaq name for Newfoundland, and means 'place of two kinds of weather'. I guess I'll just leave it with this name.
- Beothuk is actually the name of the (in 1829 extinct) ethnic group of people who inhabited Newfoundland before the Europeans came. Since I already had left the westside of the island to be called like the original name for the entire island, I'd give the eastside the european name, as a consensus. The Italian John Cabot discovered the island in 1497 and called it 'New land', which became later 'New found land' or 'Newfoundland'. The Arabic name for 'New land' is 'Jayid al Ardi'. The eastside will therefor be called Jayid al Ardi.

Ok, I did it. I modded the game a little bit. What did I do?
- In the folder common/countries I modded the file spain.txt: I replaced the monarch_names, leader_names and ship_names by the ones from Granada.txt. This way I won't get suddenly Spanish-sounding names for my rules, ships and leaders, but nice Arabic-sounding names.
- In the folder decisions I modded spain.txt: at religion_decisions I anabled sunni as a valid relgion to establish the Spanish inquisition. You now have to be sunni ór catholic to establish it. And of course have the innovative/narrowminded slider at +3... I'm currently at -1 :(. Another reason to go narrowminded!

I really like the new maps Fyrom uses in his AAR. I read thrashing mad's tutorial he linked to and maybe I'll use this too. Call me a copycat, but he, these kind of maps are too cool not to use.

Last edited:
Sa'd I definitely contributed to make Spain what it is now, let's see what the new century brings

Hahaha, his life was a Sa'd story, and his death even more ;).

The new era has to wait a little longer: I'm quite busy with creating a high-resolution basic map for future nice maps. The bitmap is 188 MB :wacko:, but I'm almost finished. Then I can make nice maps too :).

Throne: Hehe, cool that you noticed :). I wonder what the next step will be... Traditional Irish music on the oud, kanun, ney, riq, buzuq and violin, to name a few traditional Arab instruments?

One word: Wow! Astonishing what you've accomplished in only 106 years with a minor, third rank nation.

I wonder what the next step will be... Traditional Irish music on the oud, kanun, ney, riq, buzuq and violin, to name a few traditional Arab instruments?

:eek: Don't even speak such things!

Qorten said:
One word: Wow! Astonishing what you've accomplished in only 106 years with a minor, third rank nation.

I think it's more of a fourth, fifth rank ;) :p