• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The critical point was the first war: By winning that one so spectacular, I opened the road for the Empire to be formed. After that, it is just steamrolling across Europe. It is hard to imagine otehr wise indeed :D. And if I can prevent England to form colonies (maybe that means I have to totally conquer them?), christian europe will be completely knocked out of the race :). Well, except for Lithuania and Scandinavia. But I don't want to take on them (yet).

Yes, that's exactly my goal :). To connect the westcoast with the rest of the Empire. And one additional point: Now the capital isn't île-de-France! I hope I can take it when I occupy Guyenne, that it won't have a too high percentage cost (because connecting the westcoast has a higher priority).

I really want to send missionaries, but because I westernised twice to get into the latin tech group, my slider was indeed at full innovative. But I'm slowly moving towards narrowmindedness.
No, luckily not! Full innovative now gives you a -1, although full narrowmindedness just gives you +1. And because I'm Islamic, I get a bonus +0.25. At the moment I'm at -1, so I get from the slider -0.20 missionaries per year. With the religious modifier, I get a whopping 0.05 missionaries per year... And I can slide the slider once every 30 years... I really need the national idea 'Divine Supremacy', which will give me 0.50 extra missionaries. I can take that at government tech 17: I'm currently at 15. So I'm almost there :).

And yes, Granada has become quite greedy :D. Claiming the New World all for itself (and claiming Europe for itself too, if it continues like this).

Just a few more years before I can form Spain by the way!

Last century has certainly seen the rise of muslim powers, and now it's time to bring the New World to the true faith! You should send some missionaries, or those rebels will kill you.

I attempted a game with Granada using 1.3 and ended up relying to much on loans and mercs. I ended up collapsing after taking too many. Seeing you conquer half of Europe with Granada whilst not overtly relying on mercs trully is amazing, at least to my rookie eyes.

Chapter 13: Invade England (1491-1500)
Part 2 - Getting Guyenne (1495-1497)

europa_EU3_MAP_GRA_1495.2.2_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 2 februari 1495.

With Austria and Bohemia no threat anymore, and still functioning as a buffer between me and Poland, who in itself is a buffer against Lithuaia, it was time do do something about Guyenne. I took my time to transport my men to the west, along the French border.
While I was doing this, I saw that Mary III had transformed her country: she had turned England into Great Britain. Maybe that's not such a bad idea: transforming your freshly build empire into a new country, ready for the 16th century. I guess it will take a few years to accomplish, but it would be great to start the new century as a new power, showing the world that we think ahead.

eu313f.jpg

Great Britain has been formed.

Then on 2 januari 1496 I declared war on Avignon. They were allied with Napels (always them...) and Provance, and guarenteed by Guyenne, so I was immediately at war with these three too. If I had declared war on just Guyenne, I would have gotten into a struggle with Great Britain. I didn't want that... yet.
Napels took the leadership in the war, so this time I really had to face those southern Italian buggers.

eu313g.jpg

War with just 4 countries: piece of cake!

Within two months I had my men laying siege on every province Guyenne owned. And their army was still weak: They found their Steiermark in Périgord, when their southern army was beeing destroyed by 20,000 of my finest cavalery. Their northern army wasn't doing much better: Another 20,000 of my cavalery was chasing them in and out of Normandie.

eu313h.jpg

In just two months time all of Guyennes and Provance's provinces are under siege. Avignon will follow within days.

On 12 december 1496 I finally managed to occupy all of Provance's provinces. So I sended a diplomat to pronounce my demands:

Cede Anjou and Dauphiné. Also, renounce your claim on Maine. Finally, pay 100 ducats.

Why didn't I force their vassalisation, bringing the fall of the Holy Roman Empire one step closer? Well, because I would still need another two electors, so I would need another war anyway. This way I could nicely grab some extra's: vassalisation will happen in due time.
A few months later, on 13 april 1497, I finally occupied entire Guyenne. I just demanded two provinces from them: Picardie, to connect my westcoast to the Netherlands ánd to take their last connection to the sea away, and Île-de-France, the former capital of France, with its own trade center. The last one was quite expensive, but worth it.
The war exhaustion had increased rapidly during this and the previous war. I really needed peace, and I needed it now. While I was busy conquering Guyenne, my friendly vassal had occupied two provinces of Naples, including their capital. So I demanded from them to cede Calabria and pay 125 ducats, which they accepted. I immediately had peace with Avignon also.
Rebels were appearing more often now, especially in the east. I needed to smash them. Luckily my cavalery will ride through the lands.
I have already placed some men strategically: 6,000 on Iceland, facing 1,000 Brittish men on the otehr side, and 12,000 men in Ireland. also, most of my men were standing ready at the westcoast: ready to invade. I now only had to wait untill my war exhaustion was back to acceptable.

eu313i.jpg

Guyenne has been cut of from the sea, and lost the trade centre. Provance also lost two of his three provinces.

With the war over, it was time to have a look at my allies and potential allies again. Then I see somthing strange. The Ottomans were having trouble with the Byzantine Empire. Well, that wasn't something new, since those resisting orthodox christians wouldn't want to convert to the islam and each time the Ottomans had conquered them, would turn up again somewhere. But now somehting has happened... Let's have a look at the history of the Byzantine Empire of the past hundred years.
When we take a look at almost one hundred years ago, at 1399, we see that the Byzantine Empire was shrunken down to just Thrace and Morea. The Ottomans were soon belaying siege to these Orthodox people, and quickly captured Morea. But that wasn't enough: they went after Thrace, and conquered the entire Byzantine Empire. At least... After a few years they returned in Kaffa and Corfu. Again first Corfu fell, and then the Ottomans sailed to the last bastion: Kaffa. Once again the resurrected Ottoman Empire fell. For almost 50 years there was no such thing as a Byzantine Empire. But their last ruler, Queen Zoe II, who was crowned in 1437, wasn't dead. No, plans were made. Unfortunately she didn;t life long enough to see them forfilled. She died in 1487, after a rule of 50 years, mostly over no country. Her only surviving grandson, Ioannes VII, took over and in 1491 he managed to resurrect the Byzantine Empire on Rhodes. But with a minor change... He had converted to the Islam, along with this new empire! A few years later the provinces Janina and Athens rebelled from the Ottoman Empire and joined his.

byzantium1.jpg

The Byzantine Empire throughout the last century. They have been kicked out of Thrace, and risen again in Kaffa. But they were kicked out of there too. So then they went to Rhodes and converted to the Islam.

It was quite strange to see a muslim Byzantine Empire, but that wasn't all. That Empire had both the Suffragan Bishop act and the Sheikh ul-Islam! They had thus given Christian Bishops the responsibility to uphold the Islamic law?

byzantium2.jpg

The Suffragan Bishop Act and the Sheikh ul-Islam: Bishops should uphold the Islamic law.

And to make things even more confusing, I heared their next goal is to conquer the entire Balkan... To protect their second Rome. But isn't Rome the centre of catholics? And weren't they orthodox? Well, now sunnites. Anyway, they won't finish their goal I think.
With the Byzantine Empire gone muslim, there is hope for the rest of Europe. Maybe they will all see the light and convert? Or should I help them a little bit?

byzantium3.jpg

Wait... To protect the second Rome?

Anyway, now that they are gaining strength, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some good relations with them. Maybe they even want to be my vassal. I'll have to work on it.

byzantium4.jpg

A new Islamic Byzantine Empire: I'll have to make good relations with them, especially now that the Ottomans are showing weaknesses.

Some sidenotes:
comagoosie: I think it will fall somewhere during the 16th century :).
Enewald: I guess Granada has become a warmonger. And yes, the padishah lives extremely long! Maybe I should become padishah too ;). And no, I want to get good relations with the Otto's. Very good relations... :D.
Capibara: I really want to send missionaries, but at the moment I get only 0.05 per year... It will grow, but for now it isn;t going that fast.
GooseyPasture: It was all thanks to the brave men and women of Granada, who hold out while the Castillan army laid siege for five years. Because they stayed so long over there, I was able to sneak past them, and well, that started everything. I think that I managed to put the first war into a stunning victory was more luck than wisdom. Well, of course, I had to actually do it, but if those Castillians just would have gone after my soldiers, I wouldn't have been so lucky. And I did started relying on mercs. But as soon as I got some territory gained, I switched to regular soldiers.

I know, this was a very small update, especially compared with the other ones. But well, this was a very short war :). I needed to knock Guyenne out fast, before they could build up a real army. The price was war exhaustian... Now I have to wait a while before I go after Great Britain. Well, time to build up the relations with other countries. But the invasion will come, that is one thing that's for sure! Those blody Maries have to pay for all those privateers the have send, and they should be prevented to gain colonies at all.

And darn! The AI has beaten me by creating an Islamic Byzantine Empire before I could create an Islamic Spain! They have to be absorbed therefor, there is no other way I could let the AI go with this ;).

Last edited:
I think there is a NI that gives +1 extra missionary a year, you should pick it. And, a muslim Byzantine Empire? that should be in the Strange Screenshots thread, but I agree, they must be absorbed!

How much was Paris worth?

Good thing that you got it!

Now to rest and later invade Great Britain!!!

Capibara: That national idea gives in In Nomine just +0.5 extra missionaries. And indeed, that will be my next NI. I can take it at level 17: I'm at govtech lvl 15.
And I shall post it indeed there! I was already reading through there, but I'm still at page 40 or something like that. Quite a thread :).

asd21593: Indeed, the blasphemy! And then forcing those poor bishops to uphold the Islamic law ;).

AlexanderPrimus: Welcome, and have fun reading the aar!

EUROO7: Paris was worth 74 % and Picardie 26 %. That was together a neath 100 %! I would have liked to have some more provinces, Like Toulouse, but well, if you can get Paris, you take it :).

Wow! You are all quite fast with reacting :D.

Monnikje said:
EUROO7: Paris was worth 74 % and Picardie 26 %. That was together a neath 100 %! I would have liked to have some more provinces, Like Toulouse, but well, if you can get Paris, you take it :).
Yes, I thought so...

Otherwise, you would have taken more provinces. :)

Nice peace deal anyway! :D

You know my style ;).
I even couldn't get a single ducat from Guyenne. That is somheting! If I can't grab a province, I at least try to get some ducats out of it. But the two provinces were nicely 100% together, and I could get nothing between it. But it was certainly worth it :D.

Chapter 13: Invade England (1491-1500)
Part 3 - Battle for Britain (1497-1500)

europa_EU3_MAP_GRA_1497.4.15_1.bmp

The situation in Europe, 15 april 1497.

The war with Guyenne was over, so it was time for the final stage of my plan: invade Great Britain. There were three islands I needed to occupy: Iceland, Ireland and England. On the first two I had provinces of my own, so I could easily build up men there. But on their greatest island, with the largest number of their troops, I didn't have that advantage, so everything had to be brought there by boat. Luckily I had 24 cogs.
From the war with Austria, and thereafter with Guyenne, the war exhaustion of my country was once again very high. But Despite that, I couldn't let Great Britain continue on their current course! They sended so much privateers to my shores, that had to be dealt with. And of course I wanted a monopoly on colonisation, but I didn't say that aloud. I could of course wait for my war exhaustian to return to normal, but that would take quite some years. Now I had an army ready, now was the time to do something about those British.
On 11 july 1497 I declared war on Great Britain. This meant that I also was at war with its alies: Venice, Napels (always Napels...) and... Guyenne. Hello my good old friend! I had still troops along your border, so you won't mind me walking into your territory and occupy you again while you still have no army to speak of?

eu313j.jpg

Again at war with just 4 coutries, although this could be tougher than the last one.

The British troops in Iceland were beaten in one battle. It took me more time to defeat their men in Ireland, but it was inevitable: they couldn't do anything about the wave of soldiers I sended over them. Their army there was destroyed in october.
In the meantime, my ships were ruling the sea. In one battle I sunk half of their carrack fleet without losing any ships of my own. From then on, I went on hunting for their other ships.

eu313k.jpg

The Granadan navy rules the sea

The Venetian army proved to be not too much trouble. They had amassed quite some army, but my cavalery rode over them like they were nothing. So I sended 6,000 men of infantry to lay liege on Venice.

eu313l.jpg

Another battle well fought.

In december I sunk another 4 carracks from Great Britain. Now they had only 4 left. Also in december, Rykjavik fell. Now British Iceland was occupied by me.
The first thing I did in 1498, was asking the Byzantine Empire if I could get military access. They allowed me that, thus opening the way for a good relation between us. We are Islamic brothers.
Furtune was with me: in februari I got a gift of 500 ducats! I could now really invest some money, while the war was raging around me.
On 26 march I accepted a white peace offer from Napels. I really wasn't interested in a war with them, so a way to sneak out of it cheaply, was a very nice to have. I didn't want to spare troops to go over there and be busy occupying that country for months... No, I was busy enough with Venice, Guyenne and Great Britain.
By the end of june I sunk another 5 British carracks without losing any ship. That fleet of 20 carracks was doing absolutely splendid. When they became too beaten up, I went to a coastal area and had them repaired. If Great Britain had amassed their fleet, they would have certainly sunken some of mine too. But now, in these small groups, they were dead meat on the water, sitting ducks for my canons.

On 14 september 1498 I finally occupied Venice, and annexed the country. I thereby got the trade center in my hands.

Then in march 1499 it was time to invade the British homeland itself. I would need a lot of men to defeat their main force in the beginning, before a lot of my men would die by attricion. So I would invade England from the westcoast, from Normandie. Since I only had 24 cogs, I would have to transport them as fast as I could. First I would bring 24,000 infantery to the ships, and unload them as fast as I could. Then two times 20,000 cavalerie, and finally again 24,000 infantery. I hope that will be enough to destroy the British main force.
The invasion started in Cornwall, where I hoped to be close enough to the British capital to draw attention from the main army, but far enough away to sneak most of my men in before the battle would begin.

Inbetween Guyenne fell. On 4 april 1499 I demanded from them:

Cede Othe, Limousin, Toulouse and Poitou. Also, pay 50 ducats.

By doing this, I had split the Guyenne kingdom in four separated parts. And I had created shortcuts between the westcoast and my Swiss territories.

eu313m.jpg

Guyenne has been defeated again, and had to cede four provinces to me.

Meanwhile the invasion continued. I had unloaded the first 68,000 men, and needed to transport just another 24,000. But things were changing: The British were pulling back to Wessex. It wasn't their main force, but just a small legion. So I decided to attack Wessex, and unload the reserve troops there. 92,000 men were supposed to attack there, although some men had already died by attrition, so the real number was lower.

eu313n.jpg

The invasion has begun! Now all my men were in the British homeland.

The first two months more than 20,000 men died. Just by getting my men on the other side of the Channel, they found their deaths. Some drowned, some were overrun, other died during the fights... Well, an invasion surely does cost a lot of manpower. Luckily I had that.
After their small army had been defeated in Wessex, which wasn't so hard to predict, I had to choose. Would I march to London, where Mary III had amassed an army of at least 20,000 soldiers? Or should I continue to Gloucestershire, where the small army had feled to? My men were really dying fast, and that main army in London was not the entire army... it was not even half of the British forces. That meant that she had more small troops spread over the country. If I would now walk towards London, I would not only loose a lot of men due to the attrition, but also to the fight. I might even loose... So I went to Gloucestershire.

eu313o.jpg

Look! Armanac has sended invasion troops too!

After that fight, which I of course also won, I noticed that the forced were beeing pulled away from London, like Mary was fleeing, and that Armanac was sending their invasion fleet too. Of course, that was an order of magnitudes smaller, with in total just 2,000 men, but still it was impressive to see that an ally came to aid me in the offensive.
The forces were beeing pulled back to Wessex again, and after I had won that battle, I decided to split my infantery: I would lay siege on every province I could find, and in the meantime thunder accross the country with my cavalery. That went according to plan: I split up, and laid siege on the provinces far away from Mary's main forces.

While I was budy battling against Britain, I recieved news from far away places in the east.

eu313p.jpg

Spread of Discoveries: This time I learn more about the deep side of Asia.

I looked at the maps they had brought me. I had heared rumours, but never saw the far east by myself. I could now see the countries tehre. How Ming had expanded, but lost territory to the Mughal Khanate. How Manchu expanded in the north, and Korea in the south. How Tibet had lost territory to Ming, but had gained new provinces. And there, in the middel of the Gobi desert, was Kongo. Wait, that doesn;t sound very Asian. and these provinces ain't got a capital. After asking some of the messengers, I learned that Kongo was actually a country in Africa, far south. Maybe I had to send a ship to them, to ask their high chief what he was doing with the provinces in the middle of the Gobi desert.

eu313q.jpg

I can finally see China! but wait... What does Kongo do in the middle of the Gobi desert?

My men spread over the provinces, and with succes. The British were fleeing from my cavalery, without actually fighting them. I pushed them further and further north, and started to occupy provinces. This tactic seemed to work. As long as I didn't face their main army, I could scare them away by just kicking the ass of some small armies. I was glad that this worked, since my men were rapidly dying. From the original 40,000 horses only 10,000 remained. Most of them had died by hunger, not by force.

eu313r.jpg

My men are laying siege on the southern parts of England.

eu313s.jpg

As long as I fight the small armies with my heavily shrunken cavalery, their main armies pull back!

Meanwhile, on the continent, Guyenne was split up by me. But one of their provinces, Cambray, was beeing occupied by rebels, and on 1 april 1500 they declared themselves independant as... France! They were back, but now as a one province minor. Just like Bourgondy.

eu313t.jpg

France is back. But the rebels have turned into the French army, so they immediatley have 13,000 men!

I pushed the British further north, right into the higlands of Scotland. But then it was 1 october 1500. I had occupied more than half their main island, completely controlled Ireland and Iceland was in my pocket. I hadn't completely occupied their country, but they were prepared to act like I had.

eu313u.jpg

I haven't completely occupied England, but I came close. More wasn't needed: They wanted to negotiate already.

I personally went to bloody Mary III, and demanded from her:

Cede Connaught, Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Reykjavok, Gwynedd and Glamorgan.

Seven provinces! With this I gained not only total controll over Ireland and Iceland, but also got a base of operation on the British mainland. Next time I could just gather my army over there, and then march into their territories. A next war will thus be easier. And a next war will certainly come. They can still reach the New World from Cornwall and Gloucestershire, so I needed to conquer them another time. And if they continued to commandeer those pirates, I might be forced to wipe them from the face of the Earth.

eu313v.jpg

My new acquiered territories in Iceland, Ireland and Wales. I've got a base on the British main island!

During the war I took the time to eplore, of course, but also to colonize. I started three colonies:
- In june 1498 I colonised a second island in the far west. The local Carib population of the island called it 'Madinina', and I decided to keep that name. Further
- In june 1499 I colonised Hazrat Malik. The captain gave the island that name to honor his old friend Malik Ibn Umar, the old explorer who had convinced me that I should fund expeditions to the west. A honourable name for a honourable person.
- In july 1500 I colonized Hazrat Ali, named after the great fourth caliph. I guess those Shiites will totally disagree with the choosen name, but well, they ain't there in my Empire. They are more east.
As soon as it is possible, I will colonize more islands over there.

eu313w.jpg

The newly colonized islands. In the future, in 2003, they will be featuring the world hitmovie 'Suicide bombers from the Caribbean'.

As soon as Great Britain signed the peacy treaty, I looked into a matter that had troubled my mind for a few years. I had seen how Mary III had transformed England into Great Britain, to ready it for the 16th century. I was doubting if I should do the same, but when I saw the good central government it could bring to a country, when I marched through the streets of London, I decided to do it with Granada to. So I transformed the country into Spain.

eu313y.jpg

Islamic Spain has formed on 2 october 1500!

Now the new century has begun. I've defeated in this campaign the eastern dangers, I conquered a lot from Guyenne and connected my westcoast to the rest of the country, and I defeated Britain. But once again my people were tired of this fighting. Rebels were spawning all over the country, again. I had to restore order and bring the economy back on track. Another 'peacefull road' lay ahead of me.

Some sidenotes:
swippy: I've got govtech 16 now. If everything goes right, I can start converting soon.
Mike von Bek: I'll certainly convert them as soon as I can!They have a trade center, and I think that converting those trade centers that I own is one of the top priorities. But I'm not that sure about conquering Europe. Lithuania is a rising power in the east which should be feared.
comagoosie: It certainly is :D. But things are getting more strange with the year: Switzerland expaning earlier on, the Byzantine Empire gone muslim and Kongo in the Gobi desert... I wonder what will happen next?
Ahura Mazda: They sure are :D.
Enewald: No, it means I have to diplo-annex them both and force everyone to become happy neightbours ;). Actually, the Ottoman EMpire has just guarenteed the independance of the Byzantine Empire... How strange can things be!

I really have no clue how Kongo endedup there, in the middel of Asia. These provinces were from the Mughal Khanate during the previous chapter. So somewhere between 1497 and 1499 Kongo acquiered two forvinces from them? How? I'll try to look into it.

'Madinina' was the old Creol name for the island of Martinique, which is to believed to be derived from that name. Or so I have read :).
In the Islam, Hazrat is the term used to honor a great person. Since St. Kitts was named after Christoffel Columbus (says wikipedia), I decided to name the island ingame after one of the great muslim explorers: Malik Ibn Umar. He's dead, but will be remembered by this island.
St. Lucia was named after the christian Saint Lucy. I really couldn't do that as Islamic nation, so I decided to name it Hazrat Ali, after Ali ibn Abu Talib, the fourth rightly guided caliph of the Islam.

Yes! Islamic Spain has been formed! Finally. I actually wanted to form it in the 15th century, since I recieved the last needed core a few months before the turn of the century, but I also needed to be at peace. It took me one year extra to manage that, so therefor I formed Spain in 1500, and not in 1499.

Last edited:
WHAT?!?!?!

No screenshot of your new Spanish Empire!!! :mad:

Maybe for next time. :D

Great job taking those western provinces from GB!

Now a few more wars and you can annex them!!!

And France! They will go bankrupt if they keep that army!

Next update: The Spanish Empire!!! :cool: