is_triggered_only = yes broken in 2.1.2 beta?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good error-handling is as silent as possible and doesn't generate 20 Gb logs.
That is the single most common misconception about error handling. I do not wonder if I see that happening with a Novice programmer.
It is also the single least acceptable mistake about error handling. I can not aknowledge any programmer that still does this after having been informed.

Please read the articles I linked. There is no excuse for you to still say that, after having been given all the nesseary information.

Code:
# Vanguard Arrives (HIDDEN)
country_event = {
    id = crisis.17
    hide_window = yes
    fire_only_once = yes

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 30
    }

trigger = {
        has_global_flag = prethoryn_transmission
    }
"prethoryn_transmission" is never removed anywhere in the code (at least not in the release version, to lazy to switch to beta now).

(found at least two more but stopped searching. The only reason mods have the major problems is that they use such events with zero MTTH for modding reasons.)
crisis.17 is only triggered by "crisis.199". Wich is a debug event to force spawn the Prethoryn crisis (regardless of all other checks). It is used nowhere in code, so it HAS to be called from console or non-modable code.
crisis.17 is not triggered from any other event.

The normal start event for the Prethoryn invasion (as used by crisis_trigger.1 wich ISis protected against repeition via the "galactic_crisis_happened" flag) is crisis.10
Actually it is pretty odd that crisis.17 is not triggered from any other place. This might be an actuall bug. Thanks for pointing it out.

crisis.17 is only triggered by "crisis.199". Wich is a debug event to force spawn the Prethoryn crisis (regardless of all other checks). It is used nowhere in code, so it HAS to be called from console or non-modable code.

The normal start event for the Prethoryn invasion (as used by crisis_trigger.1 wich ISis protected against repeition via the "galactic_crisis_happened" flag) is crisis.10
Actually it is pretty odd that crisis.17 is not triggered from any other place. This might be an actuall bug. Thanks for pointing it out.
You are still missing my point. "crisis.17" does not need to be triggered as it is not "is_triggered_only". It is an MTTH follow-up of "crisis.10" (3 or 4 steps) which is the one called by the crisis trigger event. "crisis.17" is the event that starts the spawning, which is why it is also called by the debug thing to get an instant spawn. If that event would be called multiple times... good night...

That is exactly what is wrong in the beta compared to older versions. Events that are on MTTH and have "fire_only_once" go crazy, acting different than Paradox seems to use them and than what the wiki tells us.

Last edited:

ROFL please leave telling people how to write PDX code to people who actually know how to write PDX code. The fact that it is an MTTH event and so doesn't have to be triggered from anywhere is immediately obvious to anyone who knows what they are doing :)

Last edited:
That is the single most common misconception about error handling. I do not wonder if I see that happening with a Novice programmer.
It is also the single least acceptable mistake about error handling. I can not aknowledge any programmer that still does this after having been informed.

I have 25 years of experience. What you've read in a paper is idealistic. The reality, in every sector I've worked in, is quite different. Your continued disputes of common-sense software engineering practices clearly indicate that you are the novice and likely an academic.

I can assure you that error handling I developed that generated a 20Gb log because of so-called "mis-use" of a scripting function on a mission critical system I was responsible for, would get me fired. Thankfully Stellaris is not mission-critical.

Last edited:
I can assure you that error handling I developed that generated a 20Gb log because of so-called "mis-use" of a scripting function on a mission critical system I was responsible for, would get me fired. Thankfully Stellaris is not mission-critical.
So you just explained how your experience does not apply to this situation in the least? What was your point again?

Also how is a 20 GiB error log during debuging a bad thing exactly? Last I looked, a beta is for debugging. And this is a beta.

You are still missing my point. "crisis.17" does not need to be triggered as it is not "is_triggered_only". It is an MTTH follow-up of "crisis.10" (3 or 4 steps) which is the one called by the crisis trigger event. "crisis.17" is the event that starts the spawning, which is why it is also called by the debug thing to get an instant spawn. If that event would be called multiple times... good night...
All the spawning of Event fleets is done via scripted Triggers. That the event is even still in there, is a bug in itself. And with the change they finally get to catch it.

Wich is exactly what debugging during a beta is there for.

That is exactly what is wrong in the beta compared to older versions. Events that are on MTTH and have "fire_only_once" go crazy, acting different than Paradox seems to use them and than what the wiki tells us.
I think you need to remember that "Wiki" means "written by normal users like you". So if you blindly relied on what was written there, you were jusst plain old blind.

Walker, you say...? I mean people would have to find the Crossfield in the game first, right?

Following from the Federation Founder focus we've talked about recently, I've been taking a second look at the Federation formation mechanics, cleaning up some legacy script and have had an opportunity to add a beta-canon alternative reality twist in for those players who want to play Andorians: the Interstellar Union. It's basically the same as the Federation but can only be formed by Andorians with certain criteria met.

All the spawning of Event fleets is done via scripted Triggers. That the event is even still in there, is a bug in itself. And with the change they finally get to catch it.

Wich is exactly what debugging during a beta is there for.
You are kidding me, right. Do you have ANY idea on Stellaris modding?! You make yourself sound like a dev, but keep talking crap. A scripted trigger needs to be called from some event. So that has nothing to do with the whole discussion!!! Also, a scripted trigger is a condition. If anything, you would want a scripted effect to spawn anything!

I think you need to remember that "Wiki" means "written by normal users like you". So if you blindly relied on what was written there, you were jusst plain old blind.
I do not blindly rely on it. But if the wiki fits to what Paradox is doing, that is a good source. And that particular article sounded like at least someone from the devs was asked when it was written.

Last edited:
Also how is a 20 GiB error log during debuging a bad thing exactly? Last I looked, a beta is for debugging. And this is a beta.

You're a high velocity pool ball bouncing all over the table. "I can not aknowledge any programmer that..." is so pompous and utterly full of himself that he makes my ego actually seem reasonable. You sir, are just a troll.

Rofl you really should learn how the game files work before you make even more of a fool of yourself. Saying people are idiots and wrong is one thing. But doing that while spouting wildly incorrect statements about how the game files work when you are saying that we are wrong about it... that is special.

Yup. Defintely buggy in the beta
All the spawning of Event fleets is done via scripted Triggers. That the event is even still in there, is a bug in itself

Wut????!

Meant to write scripted effects.

You're a high velocity pool ball bouncing all over the table. "I can not aknowledge any programmer that..." is so pompous and utterly full of himself that he makes my ego actually seem reasonable. You sir, are just a troll.
I said:
"This was a boneheaded exception. You solve boneheaded exceptions. You do not try to hide them."

You said:
"How dare you say that catching bonheaded and fatal exceptions is not the best idea since sliced bread!!!"

So, how was my reaction to that not on point?

Lets see:

1. Probable CTD for players
2. multiple script failures for multiple mods
3. HDD degradation

Finally, a large and growing error log suggests that errors are repeated on.every tick.or few ticks. Serious problem and a poor debug alert system.

Now, I'm seriously wondering whats your interest in arguing here and with all of us - you have some of the best modders in the thread telling you you are wrong, and you keep arguing.

I got a report that fire_only_once event triggers multiple times.

Have it been deprecated entirely while I wasn't looking?
They always had some rare issues of firing again. I think it was due to changes in the file that made the game think they should be fired again for some reason.