• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really wanted to stop reading after that but nevertheless I've read whole and geez, people like you are the biggest problem in gaming because you like when companies shit in your mouth. I don't care if I get banned after that or whatever but someone had to finally say this on this forum, you like when Paradox shit in your mouth and even will ask for more.
Not sure how Paradox victimized me when I already own the base game and I bought it for $10? Guess I’m disappointed in the new DLC, but I read about it beforehand and chose not to buy it, so…?

Paradox have given me lots of entertainment, none of which I’ve been entitled to, and all of which has been appreciated. If the price isn’t worth it, I just wouldn’t buy it—they don’t take things from me.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Really wanted to stop reading after that but nevertheless I've read whole and geez, people like you are the biggest problem in gaming because you like when companies shit in your mouth. I don't care if I get banned after that or whatever but someone had to finally say this on this forum, you like when Paradox shit in your mouth and even will ask for more.
Gaming industry is decadence because everything become cheaper. cheap prices leads to cheap labour, cheap labour lead to cheap products.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't see new games becoming cheaper. With each year games become more and more expensive (end sadly less and less polished), just look at the new DLC to HoI4 or at games like Cities Skylines 2.
lol, first DLC's of Hoi4 have tons of bugs and broke stuff. with NSB we had AI stacking 100 divisions on same tile.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I’m opposing you, because you annoyed me by contributing to a toxic culture. I really don’t like this ubiquitous sentiment that people are somehow victimized whenever game prices go up.

In fact, I believe the reluctance to raise prices is one of the biggest problems in gaming, since in the face of consistent inflation, it motivates development based on increasing volume, which means bigger hype and more universal appeal.

As a more general idea, I believe that lowering or maintaining prices is often motivated by greed, as it allows corporations to increase or maintain volume without consumer backlash, and then make up the loss per unit by squeezing employees, who have less power than consumers.
The "reluctance" to raise prices as you call it is a good thing for a game's marketing. A person will see a game for 30 dollars and be more inclined to buy it over one worth 60. Even sales don't contribute as much anymore, since your 10, becomes a 20 at the same percentage sale. Your point of raising prices not being motivated by greed is laughable at best. PDX was perfectly afloat and seemingly very cozy before the price change. And seeing the quality of their latest games/DLCs, I'm looking forward to seeing them double in quality, according to your argument.

And also modders are making right now better products than Paradox (on their games ofc) and want 0 for it. They do it for free.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
The "reluctance" to raise prices as you call it is a good thing for a game's marketing. A person will see a game for 30 dollars and be more inclined to buy it over one worth 60. Even sales don't contribute as much anymore, since your 10, becomes a 20 at the same percentage sale. Your point of raising prices not being motivated by greed is laughable at best. PDX was perfectly afloat and seemingly very cozy before the price change. And seeing the quality of their latest games/DLCs, I'm looking forward to seeing them double in quality, according to your argument.

And also modders are making right now better products than Paradox (on their games ofc) and want 0 for it. They do it for free.
In your indignation, you are reading all kinds of things into my post that aren’t even there.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Why should a monopolistic position be a justification for high prices?
Any company in a free market can price things however they wish, outside of life necessities, and games are not those. You, as the customer gets to decide to pay it, or not. There are no 'Soviet price controls' on luxury pixel items.

So, it's simple. If the price on the luxury pixel item isn't to your liking, then don't buy it. Your choice. You don't get to re-price it to suit you, though. If it's 'too overpriced', it won't sell at all, and the company will have to lower it.

And if your country has been hit harder by inflation than others, yes, prices will go up on luxury pixel items, too, because when your currency is traded back to the parent currency, the selling company expects to receive near their intended price in their currency.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
I think it should be recognized that the most relevant "justification" for price is what consumers are willing to pay, and that few companies will sell their product cheaper or at a more reasonable price if they dont have to. HOI4 is in a favourable market position with few "worthy" competitors and a seemingly loyal player base, and I guess PDX are simply charging what they expect to "get away" with. Seeing the most recent backlash against ToA (and spillover to AAT) might indicate that they did overreach a bit, though the poor reception might actually not be reflected in wahat matters the most, sales.

That being said, I do find it surprising that a nearly 8 years old game (which requires a number of DLCs selling at more than 100$ for the "full" experience) is still sold at almost the same price as last years master piece Baldurs Gate 3, and I believe Paradox' business model (though understandable and pobably extremely lucrative) to be a less consumer friendly one.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Average wage in poland is like 1000 EU, the game is like 50 EU.

Its only overpriced if you want buy many games, like 10 games, but if you have time to play 10 games, you don't have time to earning money.

So Pdx ins't obligued to cheapen prices for ppl who don't work.

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Paradox apologists at it's finest
You're welcome, but why are you trying to defend multi-milion dollar company? They don't care about you, you don't have to do this
Just so you know- I quite enjoy HOI4, but I am still not happy that certain long term bugs have not been fixed such as Italy permanent BOP drift after losing cores, or the mess that is Turkey's focus tree not having any checks for whether they're a puppet or already in a faction, however-

that does not mean I won't pretend I've gotten more value out of this game out of many other triple A game's ive bought and paid for. I own all of Hoi4's expansions and country packs, some of them on sale. I've played the game for 1258 hours.

The last 2 triple A game's i've bought and played were Cyberpunk 2077 with 118 hours, and Doom Eternal with about 64 hours. I had my fun with those games, but im still having fun with Hoi4- Hell I still am having fun with Civ 5 and I bought all the dlcs for that 8 years ago. You might argue that some of the hours i've spent in HOI4 are dead hours because its gameplay with no real gameplay (i.e Civ building simulator from 1936-1938) but there is no inherent fix for that due to the nature of the game and how time must scale- and lets all face it the 1939 start is crap because you don't start with nearly as many factories as you would if you just played from 1936- but I have still enjoyed all 1200 of those hours for the price I paid.

So I'm less defending Paradox, and more arguing against stupid arguements.

Reactions:
Gaming industry is decadence because everything become cheaper. cheap prices leads to cheap labour, cheap labour lead to cheap products.
Funny that the products are getting more expensive and the products are getting cheaper. Now that's a Paradox!
Edit. Not to mention that somehow the best products are provided by the modders that do their stuff for free.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Any company in a free market can price things however they wish, outside of life necessities, and games are not those. You, as the customer gets to decide to pay it, or not. There are no 'Soviet price controls' on luxury pixel items.

So, it's simple. If the price on the luxury pixel item isn't to your liking, then don't buy it. Your choice. You don't get to re-price it to suit you, though. If it's 'too overpriced', it won't sell at all, and the company will have to lower it.

And if your country has been hit harder by inflation than others, yes, prices will go up on luxury pixel items, too, because when your currency is traded back to the parent currency, the selling company expects to receive near their intended price in their currency.
Don't try to sell 'criticizing prices is gommunizm' crap. I ain't pointing gun at their heads.
Treating them like sacred cows and trying to strawman critics into commie wackos is peak anti-consumer mindset.

• 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Funny that the products are getting more expensive and the products are getting cheaper. Now that's a Paradox!
Edit. Not to mention that somehow the best products are provided by the modders that do their stuff for free.
It's a free market. You're welcome to show us how it's done, and how you can sell your product cheaper, sell millions of copies, and make only a modest profit, of course. Anything else would be 'greedy'. I'll be waiting to see your release. Good luck!

• 6Like
Reactions:
It's a free market. You're welcome to show us how it's done, and how you can sell your product cheaper, sell millions of copies, and make only a modest profit, of course. Anything else would be 'greedy'. I'll be waiting to see your release. Good luck!
When you see a movie critique you also tell the author to make a movie themselves?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Why should a monopolistic position be a justification for high prices?
by "justified" do you mean morally, or practically? monopoly resulting in higher prices for consumers is pretty basic in economics...that's just how reality works. when something is valued more/is more rare, seller can charge more.

you can make whatever moral case you want but it won't change what happens wrt pricing, just as it seems it won't change practices where achievement descriptions and in-game ui routinely lies to the player. only consumers updating their valuation of the product will change these.

That’s not how money works. There’s a difference between nominal and real prices. Do you understand inflation as a concept?
to be fair it's somewhat deceptive to invoke this since the way games are priced has changed a lot too, and deceptive/arguably illegal tos where players don't own what they buy has crept into the gaming market with other games. at least with pdox subscription option, they tell you it's a subscription up front, rather than having you buy something you ostensibly own until you don't.

it's hard to compare apples to apples with games because some of them still follow a "you buy the game up front and it's actually yours" model with no dlc. others do something akin to classic base game + expansion updates sold later. others do a more dispersed dlc model (most of pdox since i joined forum). others do subscription (alternative in pdox, some mmo games). 30-60 dollars up front will not tell the full story. some games have very much kept pace with inflation through other means than the up-front cost. others not so much.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
When you see a movie critique you also tell the author to make a movie themselves?

I don't subscribe to the theory that you need to do something yourself to critique something similar from someone else. But. There is a line of argument, some hold, that that is relevant to film.

Godard, a former film critic, once said that the only valid way to criticize a movie was to make one of your own. That is true of his own work, at least.

• 1Like
Reactions:
to be fair it's somewhat deceptive to invoke this since the way games are priced has changed a lot too, and deceptive/arguably illegal tos where players don't own what they buy has crept into the gaming market with other games. at least with pdox subscription option, they tell you it's a subscription up front, rather than having you buy something you ostensibly own until you don't.

it's hard to compare apples to apples with games because some of them still follow a "you buy the game up front and it's actually yours" model with no dlc. others do something akin to classic base game + expansion updates sold later. others do a more dispersed dlc model (most of pdox since i joined forum). others do subscription (alternative in pdox, some mmo games). 30-60 dollars up front will not tell the full story. some games have very much kept pace with inflation through other means than the up-front cost. others not so much.
While I think it’s valid to discuss what exactly a game purchase is, and how that may vary, I hardly think it’s “somewhat deceptive” to discuss changes in real prices when discussing changes in nominal prices. Understanding the value of the currency would be the foundation of a discussion of prices, I should think.

Reactions:
While I think it’s valid to discuss what exactly a game purchase is, and how that may vary, I hardly think it’s “somewhat deceptive” to discuss changes in real prices when discussing changes in nominal prices. Understanding the value of the currency would be the foundation of a discussion of prices, I should think.
i agree with you there, but what i mention will definitely change conclusions when comparing real vs nominal price because different games have done different things to alter "nominal" prices (ranging from nothing to making them the majority of revenue for the game). even in pdox case there's base price vs dlc prices. in the past we've even seen things patched out of eu 4 in one form, then re-instated in a different form as paid dlc, further blurring lines of how to determine nominal price since you can make a case that these kinds of changes alter the value of the base game in addition to the dlc.

Reactions:
The price for Hearts of Iron 4 is now 230 zł in Poland (around 58$). On the premiere it used to cost around 120 zł (around 30$). This is nearly 100% price increase for an 8 year old game.

Is this some kind of a joke, or are you really that greedy that you want to charge over 50 bucks for an 8 year old game? To me it's kinda insulting.
I feel you, currently Hoi4 price in Russia is 2749 rubles, while back in december last year it was around 1200~ rubles. So, more than 100% price increase.

Why would paradox show fat middle finger to people from not the wealthiest regions? I don't know, all it will do is that people from them will stop buying they products.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: