• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kevsurp

Recruit
Apr 11, 2022
Ok it seems every mission i do i am always seem to be my 4 mechs vs 8 mechs that all got first or 2 go first then i get use one of mine then the rest of them go before i can use the rest of mine.
so in like 2 rounds one of my mechs is almost out the fight and the polit needs like 40 50 day of rest or is killed

Initiative is based on chassis (i.e. light/medium/heavy/assault) so if you're fighting an OpFpr with lighter mechs than you, they will generally go first unless you have something that increases you initiative. OFFOR, I believe, also gets to go first in the same phase.

The game is designed such that you will be expected to be fighting 8 or even 12 mechs with four, possibly with turrets as well, because - like literally every other game with AI out there - it has to compensate for, like, not being able to play like a player.

Other than that, without further information, I don't think we can offer much help. Composition of mechs, how skilled your pilots are, what type of mission you are doing and whether or not you are scouting properly all matter, and whether you're using cover etc; all of which are critical. (Also, the assumption is you're playing vanilla, if you're playing with a mod that can also change things quite a lot, especially as the mods are generlly intended to be harder.)

It should be noted that during the early game in particular (in vanilla) you generally need to be doing a good bit of grind until the point you have enough gear to upgrade you mechs from stock and get some decent chassis (because not all chassis are equal and not all stock configurations are particularly good).

Early game, I find if you are struggling, you need to keep to lower skull missions and only try a little higher skull missions on battles (which are straightfoward) and to remember that one of the first things you should do to your mechs is shunt the armour up. Also, especially in the early game, melee is often a better option against lights that low gunnery shooting, as it's somewhat more reliable.

Reactions:
I think the side that walks into enemy sensor range goes last. So if you discover enemy mechs, OpFor goes first for equal initiative mechs. If they discover you, then you go first. You can sneak one movement point at a time if you need the edge, but the game gives you plenty of ways to win, without needing to. Most of the time, you will be heavier than the OpFor, so it doesn't really matter much, unless you have skills and mechs that reduce initiative.

As Aotrs said, we need more information, like your mechs and builds. I personally hate the early game with a passion, lousy light mechs that can't hit the wide side of a barn, fighting other high evasion light mechs. Yuck. The only way is to power through. Some people will advocate going all salvage from the start. Forget about it. Max the cash and save up enough C-bills to buy yourself some decent mechs. In an unmodden campaign, your goal is to get yourself into a Marauder heavy mech, so you can rain called shots down on on your enemies for profit or salvage.

I personally hate the early game with a passion, lousy light mechs that can't hit the wide side of a barn, fighting other high evasion light mechs. Yuck.

It's the low Gunnery, primarily, which ends up being the culprit here.
Melee is a bit better at landing hits, and with further-moving 'Mechs it can be easier... and with support weapons on a lot of stock Light 'Mechs, it can wind up being quite potent. (Looking at you FS9-H Firestarter...)

What's more about the early game I don't like? Often the lowest tier of missions throw vehicles instead of 'Mechs at you. Vehicles are much more susceptible to melee as a solution, but they don't offer up a lot of interesting salvage from low-tier missions. Meaning the often-repeated advice of "max salvage, you'll make more" is incorrect. It's correct later... when you're possibly able to nab a full-piece Assault 'Mech. But when we're talking "oh boy, 9 picks of all weapons!"... no. Hard cash is good, unless you're in Career Mode.

If you're in Career Mode... reputation is a better bet to get a jumpstart raising that faction towards maximum for your selected ones.